IMDb > Speed (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Speed

Speed More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 38: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

faster... (like the Manic Street Preachers' song)

Author: dbdumonteil
14 September 2003

Try to imagine this: a trapped bus that contains a bomb. It mustn't come down to 80 kilometres an hour, otherwise the bomb is exploding. This is about this interesting idea that Jan de Bont designed one of the most successful movies released in 1994. He made a spectacular and suspenseful action movie where he can constantly sustain the interest. Obviously, it contains a few implausibilities: in one sequence, the bus's managing to cross a bridge that is very large. Moreover, the movie also distills a kind humor. At the end, "Speed" is an honorable success and Dennis Hopper is an excellent terrorist. As Alfred Hitchcock said: "the more successful the bad guy is, the more successful the movie will be".

Best movie i´ve ever seen

Author: JackTraven from Germany
31 August 2003

The best movie i have ever seen. The soundtrack is the best action soundtrack i have ever heard. Keanu Reeves is so a great actor at this movie. Speed was the first movie, which i had buy. Now, 8 years later, i watch Speed every week, because this film is so cool.

Wow...

Author: 98005314 from California
3 June 2003

LAPD Officer Jack Traven(Keanu Reeves) must get on a bus that is set to explode if it goes below 50 MPH. Also starring Jeff Daniels and Sandra Bullock.

This movie was by far one of the best of the 1990's action genre. While the whole 50 mph thing might a little far-fetched, it works! I mean, most films that deal with bombing has to do with a time-limit, but this is totally different and why it is called "Speed". I don't think anyone else would have come up with that kind of idea.

Great film, great acting, great special effects, great everything! I still love watching this after 9 years since it was released. I can't believe it was that long ago, but anyways, BUY/RENT IT!!

fantastic action-suspense spoof

Author: SylviaMeagan from Sinclair, Wyoming
8 April 2003

keanu reeves is excellent as jack. sandra bullock was superb as love interest annie. dennis hopper was top-notch as the madman bomber. the acting is right on track and the action is thrilling. it's possibly the best action movie ever made. i would give speed 10 out of 10.

Come along for the ride!

Author: TimBoHannon from Seattle Washington area
14 March 2003

Following an enjoyable business luncheon, several high-ranking employees get onto an elevator in a 40-floor building. Howard Payne (Dennis Hopper), who has wired the elevator's cables and emergency brakes with C4 explosives, sits in a freight elevator elsewhere in the building. After blowing the cables, Payne informs the police that unless 3 million dollars is paid to him in 60 minutes, he will detonate the brakes as well. Officers Jack Traven (Keanu Reeves) and Harry Temple (Jeff Daniels) are ordered to examine the bomb, and end up saving all of the elevator's passengers, thwarting Payne.

Just days later, Payne contacts Traven. Howard has concocted a new game, and this time he wants 3.7 million. A Los Angeles city bus has been wired with a bomb that will arm itself when the bus reaches 50 miles per hour. Once it falls below that speed, the bomb will detonate. If there is any attempt to evacuate, Payne will detonate the explosive remotely.

"Speed" is without a doubt one of the truly great action films of the 90s. It is grandly suspenseful and sucks the viewer in for one thrilling ride. The aggressive soundtrack is superb, as is Jan De Bont's directing. From the elevator job, to the scene of the rogue bus hurtling through the streets of LA, to the phone dialogue between Payne and Traven, to the awesome climax, "Speed" remains true to its hypertension-inducing form.

In a similar manner, the movie presents the effect of the crisis on the innocent hostages. It presents them as normal, everyday people thrust into an extreme situation. Sandra Bullock delivers her usual strong performance as a commuter who ends up driving the rigged bus. She is the only passenger who is not one-dimensional, but even with the others frozen in their simple roles, we feel like we are on the bus with them. This creates an ideal atmosphere to tell the story in.

As the lead, Keanu Reeves performs well in all facets of his role. He comes across as a complex person whose different strengths and personal qualities come into play in the various situations he encounters. His acting talent is often called into question, but his portrayal here is strong and leaves me wondering why so many are hard on him.

As the antagonist, Dennis Hopper comes through with possibly the top performance of his celebrated career. It is hard to imagine anybody else playing his part at the same level. Payne is one of the most potent villains I have ever seen. He is a brilliant and well-prepared man. Howard Payne trails only Elliot Carver for villain of the decade.

All of these ingredients add up to an outstanding film worthy of multiples viewings. From exceptional stunts and pyrotechnics to the intense plot, "Speed" appeals to all categories of action fans. "Speed" will treat the viewer to a capital thrill. It not as good as they say. It is better.

The Best Action Film I've Ever Seen! (Mild Spoilers)

Author: oprjsd from USA
19 December 2002

`Speed' is my favorite action film. It truly deserves to be described as a film with `non-stop action' because there's only about a few minutes without action. I never really counted the exact time.

Shortly after the credits roll the film grabbed my attention. `Speed' starts off with an elevator being held hostage. without the person taking the people hostage actually in the elevator.

After the elevator scenario, the real situation begins. The `madman' played by Dennis Hopper in a great performance, takes control of a city bus. without being on the bus. Once the bus hits 50mph, it must stay above 50, or it will explode. It's up to Jack Traven, played by Keanu Reeves, to save the day.

Jack Traven is a police officer. How he gets onto the bus while it is in motion is phenomenal. The whole film is. Not to mention spellbinding.

Once Jack is on the bus, he has a conflict with one of the passenger's who shoots the bus driver. Therefore, a woman named Annie, played by Sandra Bullock takes the wheel. Since the bus has to stay above 50mph, there's no doubt the action is continuous. And if that isn't enough, there's a third action sequence somewhere else off of the bus. If you haven't seen `Speed' you're probably wondering where. I'm not going to tell you. This is one film that you really should see if you haven't already.

`Speed' is a film that I could probably watch every now and then and probably not get tired of. It has great performances, from Hopper, Bullock, and definitely Reeves. It is first-class entertainment. (Better than `Die Hard' in my opinion.)

In my opinion, "Speed" is one of the top five best films ever made!

Greatest Movie Ever

Author: STFU
14 October 2002

This time I mean it. Speed has it all. A suspenseful plot, witty dialogue, beautiful camera work, an awesome score, AND A BUS THAT EXPLODES!!!!! What more do you need in an action film. I know what you're thinking, it needs more scenes with the bus. They should have had a decoy bus to lead the bomber off while the real bus could escape. They should have had at least 50 buses that all had bombs on them that Keanu had to try to disarm. They also should have had a super fast tow bus that could tow the other bus at 50 MPH forever. This movie needed much more content with the bus. But one good part is the shot of the subway breaking out onto the street is actually a BUS! Maybe it would have been better if the elevator scene was not actually an elevator, rather a bus suspended by a cable in an elevator shaft. It also would have been better if Keanu drove a bus instead of a Jeep.

Speed is still the best movie ever even though there isn't enough bus content. Maybe Speed 3 will have more bus...

This is an awesome movie. A high action thriller that won't let you sit in you seat.

Author: Krista from United States
4 October 2002

Speed is an awesome movie. Lots of action and great actors and actresses for the parts. From beginning to end it is a thriller. Yet it's not a horror movie... which, in my case, is a good thing. :) If you like " standing up " movies with a whole lot of action, then you'd like Speed.

It rules

Author: lee hancock from swansea wales
29 September 2002

Hyper-kinetic actioner which De Bont,after the tense bomb-in-a-lift scenario,builds swiftly to a breakneck pace and somehow sustains,while Keanu and Sandy generate real chemistry on a speeding,booby-trapped bus.Headlong multiplex entertainment,with Bullock never sexier,Reeves never cooler(WELL MAYBE IN THE MATRIX)and Hopper cackling maniacally in the background.I got a good idea lets make the sequel on a boat NOT!!!.

Still kicks butt

Author: cmivie from United States
30 July 2002

I remember seeing Speed the weekend it opened in the summer of 94'. My friend talked me into seeing the film (I just could not buy Keanu Reeves as an action hero), and so there I was in the theatre thinking that Speed would be an average film at best. From the moment the elevator dropped, I was hooked. Speed is one of the best action films to have ever been made, and even if you see it or have seen it 10, 20, 50, or 100 times it still grabs you and takes you on the ride of your life. Maybe there were a couple of things that were far fetched ideas (like the bus jumping the gap in the freeway), but overall this movie will thrill you and entertain you from start to finish. 8 out of 10.