IMDb > Speed (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Speed

Speed More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 39: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Movie that Introduced Bullock and Reeves to the World!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
27 October 2013

Keanu Reeves stars as SWAT officer Jack Traven who is the hero after defusing a bomb in the elevator. But crazed ex-cop the late Dennis Hopper, is not deterred and has it out for the young cop.

After one bombing bombs a building, another one is on the bus and once it is on there, Traven must go and get on the bus and the catch is, the bus must not get under fifty miles per mile.

As Sandra Bullock the unlucky Annie who has failed her driving tests so many times. Is forced to drive after something happens to the bus driver. As it is not just a cat and mouse game. But it is playing with people's lives on a bus on the busy streets of LA.

Really a suspenseful film with the wit and charm of the two leads!

One of the Best Chase Films of Its Or Any Other Time.

Author: CinemaClown
5 October 2013

One of the most cleverly crafted & smartly executed action films of the 90s, Speed is an extremely riveting, high-octane action thriller that is downright engaging right from its opening moments & remains nail-bitingly tense throughout its runtime. The story here concerns a rookie cop who must board a bomb-rigged city bus & do whatever it takes to keep the speed above 50 mph or else the bomb goes off automatically.

The pacing is fierce, the direction is impressive, the screenplay is taut, the editing is tight, and the performances by Keanu Reeves & Sandra Bullock along with an intense score makes Speed a smooth ride with very few bumps along the road. One of the best chase films of its or any other time with far too many memorable sequences than any typical film of its genre, Speed is an intelligent & highly entertaining cinematic ride that still hasn't aged a day.

A timeless classic that can be enjoyed over n over again without any loss in its potency, Speed effortlessly manages to kick some serious ass than most action films of today even when so many years have passed. Unquestionably recommended.

This is an action movie.

Author: Mercedes x from Japan
2 October 2013

This is an action movie. A man plant a bomb in a bus. If the bus runs by at a speed of less than 80 kilometers, the bomb explodes. Jack who is a police swings the bus, and he tries to help passengers with Annie who is one of passengers and he asks her drive the bus.

I love action movie and I love this movie so much. I think this is a breathtaking movie. Therefor I was so excited when I was watching the movie. Especially, I was so excited in the last scene. Jack and Annie are in a terrible pinch. I like the scene the best. I think this movie is also love story. I like Jack. He is cool, masculine and brave. The music, tone and camera-work are nice.

I recommend people who likes action movie to watch the movie. I think that this movie will make you so excited.

Hands down one of the best action films in existence

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
14 January 2012

I can review Speed very easily. It defines riveting, edge of your seat, pulse pounding, action packed, breathless action. The concept is just brilliant and the first time I saw Speed many years ago I remember barely being able to sit on my seat let alone be on the edge of it. It just takes you away, knocks it out of the park and keeps you riveted for the entire run time. Is it perfect? No. It actually has a ton of flaws when you start to dissect it but the film making is so good, the concept so captivating that you forget and ignore everything that is silly about it. A great action movie should be able to make you suspend reality and believe every word and scene they show you. Speed will make you ignore how ridiculous it is that they jump a full sized city bus across a gaping hole in an overpass and instead you will stand up, cheer and root for that scene. Some of the film is honestly bordering on cheesy and it just doesn't matter one lick because this is the most adrenaline packed, thrill ride you will ever lay your eyes on.

90's Movie star Keanu Reeves was probably the perfect choice for this film. He has the star power and the clout and the chemistry to pull off being the hero of this movie. No one could have done it better. That being said Reeves has a particular style to him that is inherently cheesy. When I watched Speed again and again I found myself laughing more at his performance but it doesn't change the fact that he is the star and carries the movie just fine. Sandra Bullock is fantastic in her role as Annie. Annie is fun and wild and clumsy and just a great female hero. Her and Reeves actually have great chemistry and Bullock fans will absolutely love this performance. Dennis Hopper is deliciously evil as Howard Payne (what a great bad guy name), and like Reeves has a certain B-Movie quality to his character but does it so well and the cat and mouse between him and Reeves is perfect. Jeff Daniels plays Reeves partner and does a good job. The only issue with him is that I wish they had used him more in the story. I wish I could mention all of the supporting cast because they are all really good in their roles especially the other passengers on the bus.

I don't think director Jan de Bont has done anything since this film that even touches how great this genre film was. By nature he is a cinematographer and I think that's interesting because this film is stunning to watch. Every shot, every scene, the pace and style of the movie is just brilliant. I can't express enough that this is THEE quintessential action flick. This is the sort of action flick you could watch again and again and still be thrilled by it every time because it is literally non-stop action from beginning to end. I rarely mention music when it comes to films but the music in Speed stays with you with this thumping beat and a great soundtrack. If you haven't seen Speed...you're missing out...because it defines action and you can find few films even close to being better. 9.5/10

The best of the best!!

Author: lopcar1993 from United States
19 April 2009

Speed is something we all love, I know I sure do, the feel of the car going fifty miles an hour you passing everyone by like they were turtles. People cursing you out and flicking you off as you swerve in and out of traffic like a mad man. But wait! There's a problem, your not driving some supped up sports car. Your driving a LosAngeles city bus that is rigged to blow if it drops below 50 M.P.H. then bus goes kaboom!! And you and everybody else inside are toast(or more like smoked meat, but you get the idea.) This is the problem L.A.P.D. detective Jack Traven has. He has to keep a bus full of people alive while trying not to drop below fifty,talk about a major adrenaline rush.

Speed is nicknamed "Die Hard ob a bus", and to tell you the truth it is, Speed is an electrifying mix of adrenaline pushing action and heart stopping stunts, it's the kind of movie you walk into and know your just going to love it( how can't you?) this film is not meant to be Die Hard it's meant to be a film that rivals Die Hard, and right now it is still the only film that can rival it.

Speed is not your ordinary action film it's one of the few with smarts, and plenty of it to go around this film throws out the smarts and action in perfect harmony, not many action films do that, and that is what makes this one so unique and original and so much fun to watch, Speed is the best action film when it comes to humor, intelligence's and most importantly Speed. It's a film you can watch over and over again and love every minute of it it truly is the top dog of action.

Great Action Flick

Author: moviesleuth2
24 August 2008

The premise of a summer action movie doesn't get much better than this one: A bus in downtown LA is rigged with a bomb that is set to explode if it goes below 50 mph. But as film history will tell us, a good premise does not make a good movie unless the filmmakers do unique and interesting things with it. Does "Speed" have what it takes? Absolutely.

When it comes to action/adventure movies that expand on a single premise, there's no one better than Jan de Bont. Considering where his career is right now, that surprising, since the man who gave us masterpieces such as this and "Twister" is being passed over for hacks and wannabees such as Simon West and other cheap posers that don't know what they're doing. de Bont never wastes a moment, and that keeps the pace up. "Speed" is relentless, especially in this respect. The visuals are first-rate, and except for one minor exception, they surpass today's (if only because they are real, or the CGI isn't so cheap it's obvious).

The acting is great as well. There are few actors as consistently wooden as Keanu Reeves (save for Luke Wilson). But I guess every actor has his day (Reeves has three: this, "The Devil's Advocate" and "The Matrix"). Granted, the role doesn't require much range, but Reeves creates a likable and sympathetic hero (California cool included). Dennis Hopper is a terrific villain, rivalling Alan Rickman in "Die Hard," though Hopper is more psychotic, or in his own words, "eccentric." Also noteworthy is the terrifically lovable Sandra Bullock who uses her comic aptitude to great effect, and she also allows herself to be vulnerable, which makes her more three-dimensional.

Like in de Bont's later film, "Twister," composer Mark Macina creates a memorable theme that complements the film to perfection.

Flaws aren't really a problem here (I dare anyone to name an action movie that hasn't given into temptation and gone over the top at least a little). Yes it recycles one of the twists that it used, but it still works, so I can't really fault it.

Finally here's a movie that lives up to its premise and its title.

I loved this movie. loved every audience involving minute of it

Author: crukeg from United Kingdom
27 June 2008

Speed is an excellent action movie, populated with sympathetic characters and stunning visuals. A movie so intense, yet fun at the same time, doesn't come around often.

Plot: You already know but what the hey. After an unsuccessful attack on a building, a terrorist plants a bomb on a bus that will detonate if the bus drops below 50mph.

It is simplistic but effective. The minor details of the movie are what make it succeed. stunt work on and off the bus is photographed with daring explicity. Jan De Bont is determined to show us everything. He doesn't cower.

The movie is also acted well. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock have instant chemistry which inspires sympathy from the audience, which in turn heightens suspense, thrills, etc.

These details come together to make a terrific action adventure. It's a shame that De Bont went on to make commercialist bilge like tomb raider 2 and the haunting.

I must admit that i am one of the few people who will defend speed 2 cruise control. I found it to be highly enjoyable. Just though I'd say that

solid action,nail biting tension

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
2 June 2007

before this movie,who knew Keanu Reeves could be a credible action hero?Reeves impressed me with this effort.he put on a few ponds of muscle for this one.Sandra Bullock is also in this one,and although her character is likable,she just doesn't make the same impression as Reeves does.i guess part of the reason is that her character really isn't the focus,which can't really be blamed on her.Dennis hopper has a nice turn as a sadistic villain.aside from the acting though,there are a lot of good things about this movie.one is the relentless action.this thing really movies.it's also a real nail biter at times.the writing by Graham Yost is also good,as is the direction of Jan de Bont.as far as action movies go,this one is right up there,in my opinion.i give "Speed" a solid 8/10

Adenaline rush

Author: mjw2305 from England
2 February 2005

There are no Wonderful performances in this film, adequate is more the word, but gladly this doesn't harm the movie.

Dennis Hopper has rigged a bus to explode if it slows down, an act of vengeance against Reeves, who had thwarted his previous scheme. From here on in its just pure edge of your seat thrills, it's 116mins long but, i swear it's over in an hour.

There's nothing really clever here and there's no real depth to the plot or the characters, but it really is a thrilling ride, that is so easy to enjoy, it would be criminal to miss it.

Avoid the sequel, it's bad; really bad

The Bus That Could Never Slow Down

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
15 January 2005

This "Speed" movie about a "Speed" bus that should have a lot of "Speed" so they don't get blown up. Okay enough of that. This is a very excellent and exciting thriller, and great acting alive with emotion. And may I say a decent cast, wow. A lot of hot stars in this one. An unforgettable role of Keanu Reeves way back before he starred in The Matrix, and great acting too. And not to mention Sandra Bullock of While You Were Sleeping, Ms. Congeniality, A Time To Kill and many others. And not to say the least, the villain Dennis Hopper. His acting is very solid and captivating, and he is very convincing as the bad guy. I especially like the part when he tell them about bombs. "Bombs must blow, if they don't they're not bombs, they're gold watches." That was cool. And the way they get the hostages out is amazing and cliffhanging, and full of suspense, find out yourself, you'll find it cool. Recommended to all fans of action, adventure thrillers and to those who love Dennis Hopper.