IMDb > Speed (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Speed

Speed More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Stellar performances carry this classic action flick

Author: haela from United States
7 September 2012

Nearly two decades after its release, Speed still stands out as a classic action movie. It's pure fun and excitement, through and through. The minor plot holes are easily forgiven and forgotten among the fascinating premise, frantic pace, and superb acting.

Keanu Reeves' character is the brave, fiercely dedicated, instantly lovable, and absolutely adorable (if reckless to a fault) LAPD officer Jack Traven. Keanu does a great job, portraying all the intensity of a hot shot who works hard, loves to win, hates to lose, and refuses to let innocents die.

Keanu is joined by Jeff Daniels, Sandra Bullock and Dennis Hopper, all of whom are admirable in their roles of mentor/best friend, innocent caught up in the action, and crazy (but not stupid) terrorist with an affinity for huge explosions.

The plot: After LAPD officer Jack Traven foils a terrorist attempt to hold hostages for ransom in an elevator, the terrorist forms a personal grudge against Jack...and sets up an impossible scenario, knowing Jack will try to save the day, but planning that he will fail and die along with the rest of the hostages. A bomb is rigged under a city passenger bus...once the bus reaches 50mph the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, the bomb detonates. And time is running out.

Fun Action Movie!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
21 August 2012

Speed is another great action film that came out in the 1980's and 1990's. I think this film had the best villain though. Dennis Hopper's character was creepy and sadistic. This film has everything an action fan can hope for. It has great action, cool stunts, and some lovely romance.

This film is about an LAPD cop who must try to save the day when a bus in armed with a bomb and if it goes slower than fifty miles per hour, it will explode.

This is one of Keanu Reeve's better performances. He does better here than he did in the Matrix movies. Sandra Bullock does a good job in her role. But I really enjoyed Dennis Hopper as the villain with many tricks up his sleeves.

Overall, this is one fun action film. It gave me enough adrenaline to keep me focused for the whole film. There are many cool stunts, sets, and special effects. I rate this film 9/10.

An excellent action thriller

Author: MovieGuy109 from United States
9 June 2012

Speed is what every non-stop action film should be like: a fast-moving and intense ride (in this case, quite literally). The film's pacing is spot on, never losing a minute of our attention as it continually accelerates faster and faster. Getting Dennis Hopper to play the madman was also spot-on, Hopper plays the role with obnoxious precision and Reeves fairs rather well against him too. The premise is genius and allows the audience to be on the edge of their seats throughout the movie. Of course none of this could happen in real life, but do we care? Not really. We are just propelled onward by the intensity of both the direction and the actors paired with some incredible stunt/ action scenes.

great action - bring it on

Author: Muhannad Kalaji from Qatar
31 March 2012

i still remember clearly when this movie was released - i think i must have seen at least ten times... in a row

yah that's how good it was back then, the whole idea of the bus that cannot slow down is amazing... and from the first minute the director wastes no time in stating that you cannot take your eyes a minute away from the screen.

the action starts from the very first minute and stops only at the end credit... Keanu Reevs was great and took it on really well... i wish i could say the same about Sandra Bullock who i cannot see her as an actress at all, i just cant see what people like in her ! she cannot act nor beautiful or appealing what the hell is she famous for ?

however as usual the sequel sucked big time and damaged the image of the first one, and was a total bust at the ticket office

Action movie you do NOT want to miss!

Author: bartko-trevor from United States
24 February 2012

If you think about it, this may be the best action film of the 90's! When a maniac tells Jack (Keanu Reeves) that a bus will explode if it passes 50 mph, this movie instantly becomes suspenseful. However, there are three things that annoy me: 1. The civilian characters are boring. 2. The guy in the beginning who thinks Jack will arrest him - what happens doesn't make sense! 3. The dumb cliché love interest happens, (like we haven't seen that before). On the brighter side, the way they figure out how to escape the bus is brilliant! The end is also incredible! (Not the love, of course) I highly recommend this astonishing film, but it cannot compare to DIE HARD or LETHAL WEAPON. But if you like action films at all, then watch it! {Rated R}

Hands down one of the best action films in existence

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
14 January 2012

I can review Speed very easily. It defines riveting, edge of your seat, pulse pounding, action packed, breathless action. The concept is just brilliant and the first time I saw Speed many years ago I remember barely being able to sit on my seat let alone be on the edge of it. It just takes you away, knocks it out of the park and keeps you riveted for the entire run time. Is it perfect? No. It actually has a ton of flaws when you start to dissect it but the film making is so good, the concept so captivating that you forget and ignore everything that is silly about it. A great action movie should be able to make you suspend reality and believe every word and scene they show you. Speed will make you ignore how ridiculous it is that they jump a full sized city bus across a gaping hole in an overpass and instead you will stand up, cheer and root for that scene. Some of the film is honestly bordering on cheesy and it just doesn't matter one lick because this is the most adrenaline packed, thrill ride you will ever lay your eyes on.

90's Movie star Keanu Reeves was probably the perfect choice for this film. He has the star power and the clout and the chemistry to pull off being the hero of this movie. No one could have done it better. That being said Reeves has a particular style to him that is inherently cheesy. When I watched Speed again and again I found myself laughing more at his performance but it doesn't change the fact that he is the star and carries the movie just fine. Sandra Bullock is fantastic in her role as Annie. Annie is fun and wild and clumsy and just a great female hero. Her and Reeves actually have great chemistry and Bullock fans will absolutely love this performance. Dennis Hopper is deliciously evil as Howard Payne (what a great bad guy name), and like Reeves has a certain B-Movie quality to his character but does it so well and the cat and mouse between him and Reeves is perfect. Jeff Daniels plays Reeves partner and does a good job. The only issue with him is that I wish they had used him more in the story. I wish I could mention all of the supporting cast because they are all really good in their roles especially the other passengers on the bus.

I don't think director Jan de Bont has done anything since this film that even touches how great this genre film was. By nature he is a cinematographer and I think that's interesting because this film is stunning to watch. Every shot, every scene, the pace and style of the movie is just brilliant. I can't express enough that this is THEE quintessential action flick. This is the sort of action flick you could watch again and again and still be thrilled by it every time because it is literally non-stop action from beginning to end. I rarely mention music when it comes to films but the music in Speed stays with you with this thumping beat and a great soundtrack. If you haven't seen Speed...you're missing out...because it defines action and you can find few films even close to being better. 9.5/10

One of the better action films of the 90's

Author: Kratos666 from Finland
2 January 2012

"Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do!?"

The action movie of the 80's is without a doubt 'Die Hard'. The movie that defines action in the first decade of the millennium change is in my opinion 'The Matrix' (I know it's made in '99 but you do understand I have to get 'Speed' here in my introduction and besides I first saw 'The Matrix' in 2000...). So what comes to mind when thinking of action films that defines and changes the genre for better in the 90's? 'Speed'. F**k it, I just came to think about 'T2 - Judgment Day'...

So anyhow, 'Speed' didn't define action for the 90's. 'The Matrix' and 'T2' did a better job. But if 'Speed' would've been done wrong, the end result would've been terrible ('Speed 2, anyone?). Done well, action films can be a lot of fun (and thus forgiving some serious goofs and illogical happenings).

Jan de Bont directed 'Speed' as his first feature film. He had worked on several action films prior to 'Speed' as a cinematographer (Die Hard', 'Hunt for the Red October'...). What I've read from various film magazines and interweb sites, 'Speed' had some issues when going to production.

First of all, I have to mention Joss Whedon's ('Firefly' and 'Serenity') name as he contributed on the script making it work better. He was left uncredited, though. But what worried me the most was that Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock weren't among the first choices for starring roles. Stephen Baldwin, William Baldwin, Arnold Schwarzenegger... "Get to da choppa!" just sounds better than "Stop da buzz!".

Glenn Close, Meryl Streep, Anjelica Huston, Emma Thompson, Diane Lane? Great actresses without a doubt but was their first intention to make the film about a group of middle aged tourists on a 20 mph bus touring Beverly Hills? OK, that sounded very stupid and I apologize for my lame effort to be "funny".

Films like 'Speed' are intended to charm the younger audience. I can't think of a better on-screen couple than Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. Both good looking and terrible actors (yeah, like she deserved the Oscar!). The acting is so terrible at times that you have to be set for the right mood for it to work. You can't see 'Speed' and wait for some groundbreaking method acting. This is supposed to be cheesy and fun. It's not like Jeff Daniels or Dennis Hopper would be doing a better job but I just can't think of any other for their roles. Hopper is perfect for his role as the villain (just like in 'Super Mario Bros'... yeah right.) and in my opinion he is the scene stealer.

So what's the film really about then? Small pensions and cheap gold watches make retired cops go berserk and make bombs on elevators and buses while forgetting everything about police tactics and getting their faces turn purple of paint. That is pretty much the whole idea. So what do you do? What do you do!? Just go see it for the fun and the hidden charm.

This film will thrill you from start to finish!

Author: Kyle Griffiths
5 July 2011

I've seen a lot of amazing action films and this one is one of my favourite's without a single doubt, its a explosive, thrill ride from start to finish and keeps you wanting more all through the movie.

The actors are brilliant, the movie it self is different to any other action movie i've seen. its a shame speed 2 sucked. The movie won't stop surprising you, every couple of seconds something happens like a explosion. And there some really good twists in the last 20 minutes.

Overall i give it a 8.5/10 And never watch speed 2, trust me its not worth wasting a hour and a half of your life!

Hope you enjoyed my review!

speed - indeed

Author: froberts73 from United States
15 June 2011

When I started watching this I had 10 fingernails. By the time it ended I was down to 7.

As far as I'm concerned "Speed" will never/has never been -- topped as an actioner. Much, much credit to the director for keeping this thing constantly going at such a great breakneck speed.

Just when you think the end is near - it ain't. Cars keep a-flyin', innocent folk are constantly in danger as the movie lives up to its simple, appropriate name.

The wonderful stars aided and abetted in making this movie. Reeves (Keanu, not Steve) is excellent as our hero who is put into beaucoup situations tighter than a glass of ticks; Sandra Bullock is one of those actresses I would rather watch than most others; Dennis Hopper as the villain of villains is the man you love to hate.

Jeff Daniels, who seems to have been in every third movie, is excellent as the brains of the outfit. I spent an hour or so with him a few years ago as he was running about the country promoting his impressive music. I found him to be a helluva nice guy, no airs, very friendly. This in-demand guy, a Woody Allen favorite, lives in a small Michigan town, comes to Hollywood-town when the calls come.

"Speed" is worth several Bulovas.

Fantastic!

Author: Nil Nil
11 March 2011

They speed up an elevator.. They speed up a bus.. and finally.. They SPEED UP A bloody Train!

I don't know how to express myself here. This movie is one-of-a-kind in Action Thrillers. No movie has ever come close to the thrill I experienced by watching the fantastic movie! I watched this as a young boy and even after 10 years I still love it

Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock act brilliantly for their part. Dennis Hooper gives me the chills. Even the annoying man on the bus was perfect.This movie absorbed me right into it within a few minutes and I really don't know how this movie isn't in the Top 20 :)

If you haven't watched this movie by now(which I highly doubt) WATCH IT!!! Otherwise, I will.. for the hundredth time.