IMDb > Speed (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Speed

Speed More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 38: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

WOW. Thats It

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
30 April 2000

Speed is a terrific thriller/action film that gives new meaning to the word "suspense". This and the fugitive are the only true thrilling movie of the past decade. Keanu Reeves, actually not that bad, plays a cop who is going after a mad-man (Dennis Hopper who is great as the 9-fingered terrorist) who has put a bomb on a bus which will explode if the bus goes under 50 mph. This wouldn't be much of a problem, but in LA it is as much of a problem of pising off Hopper in this movie. The most action packed, thrilling movie I've seen in a while, maybe equal to the terminator. Favorite Line (after Hopper's head get's knocked off) Reeves- "Yeah, but I'm taller." Terrific entertainment. A+

A perfect example on how special effects have become more important than plot.

Author: Dr.Jolly from Shawnee, Kansas
13 July 1999

When I first saw Speed in the theaters, I thought it was average at best. Then I saw it about every other day on cable and I've found that this it is even worse than I originally thought. The only good thing to come out of this movie is that it put Keanu Reeves on a top list of Hollywood actors and enabled him to do great movies like Devil's Advocate and The Matrix. This movie is totally based on the materialistic wants of today's young audience and completely ignored realistic plots or even a plot at all along with down-playing the abilities of Jeff Daniels and Dennis Hopper. I did a report in school on the 51 things in Speed that couldn't possibly happen in real life and in fact, the whole plot by Hopper is impossible at the beginning. When Reeves receives that phone call, he could've easily phoned the bus services in L.A. and had them call the victimized bus before it reached 50 miles an hour. Even without all that, the fact that Reeves made halfway across L.A. in 10 or so minutes is bulls**t, just ask anyone who lives there. Reeves does ok, but shows nothing of what he's capable with in the future, which makes it even more surprising when he does those future movies. This movie is what made Sandra Bullock and why I don't know. She's not gorgeous and she has little acting ability. Any cute girl with a little wit could've played the part. Dennis Hopper has the best role in the movie and does as good as he can with the lousy script he has. Hopper remains one of the least used talents in Hollywood. Why is Jeff Daniels in this movie? Daniels was in this movie for no reason accept to get his name in there. What a sad waste of talent. None of the bus passengers show anything accept average abilities and when the bitchy lady dies halfway through, I feel bad because I'm happy about it. This movie has a few neat scenes and is ok to sit through the first time. Hopper and Reeves are enough to watch for a while, anyway. I give this movie a 3 out of 10. It is probably the most overrated movie in the 1990's.

Keep the speed above 50

Author: Maddyclassicfilms from United Kingdom
4 June 2016

Speed is directed by Jan de Bont, is written by Graham Yost and has music by Mark Mancina. The film stars Keanu Reeves, Dennis Hopper, Sandra Bullock, Jeff Daniels, Joe Morton, Alan Ruck, Carlos Carrasco, Hawthorne James and Beth Grant.

The action and suspense in Speed never stops, all the scenes on the bus will have you on the edge of your seat.

A madman (Dennis Hopper)puts a bomb on an elevator in a building, the elevator passengers are trapped inside. Two bomb squad officers Jack(Keanu Reeves)and Harry(Jeff Daniels)manage to rescue the passengers and the bomb goes off but doesn't do too much damage.

Some time later a bus explodes killing the driver, the same bomber contacts the police saying he has put a bomb on another bus with passengers on and if the bus speed goes below 50, then the bus will explode. Jack and Harry work against time to save the passengers and find the bomber. Jack boards the bus and tries to keep it above 50, all the while trying to work out a way to save the passengers.

I've never been much of a fan of Reeves but he is very good here as the heroic Jack. Sandra Bullock is impressive as Annie, a bus passenger who has to take the wheel when the driver is injured. Annie and Jack have a lovely relationship in the film and there are many funny and touching scenes between them.

Joe Morton is solid as the head of the bomb squad and Jeff Daniels is good as Jack's best friend who is determined to find the bomber.

Dennis Hopper delivers another menacing and deranged screen character, he doesn't have much to do here but when he's on screen he more than delivers.

Alan Ruck is hysterical as a tourist on the bus who can't believe the situation he's found himself in.

Beth Grant is moving as a terrified passenger who tries to leave the bus.

The subway finale felt like too much of a repeat of the bus scenes for me, although it was suspenseful and exciting I would have liked a different finale.

Exciting and action packed, Speed is one to watch.

This one is for the action lovers!

Author: Rawal Afzal from Offenbach am Main, Germany
12 April 2016

Wow, what an action, thriller and entertainment filled was this for a film! An incredibly gripping film which keeps you on your toes for the entire duration of the film.

There is maybe a thought of it having been stretched a bit with that kind of an ending (as it could have been ended with the bus scene and then catching the villain), but to be honest, by the time we arrived there I was already so struck by the film that I was never going to criticise any aspect of the film; no way.

I can't put it in words how much I enjoyed the film right from the moment the hero receives that phone call. He runs after the bus, chases it, they ignore him, speed up, get it over 50 KpH, and then the fun starts! There were so many heart-in-the-mouth scenes in it that it is hard to pick any as the best, but I think that little cunning trick with the camera was a mind-blowing one. I commend the film-makers for having come up with such an intelligent idea that literally sealed the deal, because throughout there was this question running in the mind as to how on earth will they be able to get out of it before it explodes.

All in all, a complete entertainer, this film. I am sure I will watch this one again some day.

One of the best!

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
11 March 2016

Speed is one of the few movies I've seen in a cinema twice, and I'd be happy to pay to see it again.

It's more than an action movie, although the action was amazing. The chemistry between Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock was crackling and so was the interplay with the rest of the bus passengers. I loved it.

Dennis Hopper was incredible as the villain who had many excellent one liners, "pop quiz!!!".

The denouement with Keanu and Dennis was something - I guess he lost his head!!

I think a sequel was unnecessary and I haven't seen it. I have no plans to. Speed stands on its own.

Absolutely brilliant!

Author: Davis P from United States
15 February 2016

Speed is an excellent action movie! It's in my top 3 favorite action movies of all time, it has everything a great action movie needs: a good script, good acting, great exciting action sequences, and a good atmosphere. Speed has such a unique and cool plot to begin with, it's very creative and edge of your seat thrilling. Keanu Reeves was great in the lead! He took control and was very high energy throughout the whole thing, but then he also had the range to change from that to a nice warm hearted sweet guy, which I loved. Sandra Bullock was amazing here! This is one of her best performances In my personal opinion. And then there is Dennis hopper, no other guy could've pulled off the powerful performance that Dennis gave. He was so menacing and purely evil, which he needed to be. The dialogue was impactful and fitting, script was very well written. The action sequences were very edge of your seat and thrilling! That certainly kept you guessing the whole way through, and the visuals here are well constructed and cool to see. The ending is also very exciting and pleasing, it doesn't disappoint. The final line of the film is so great, it's happy and comedic/romantic, which was very fitting. 10/10!

The cinematic shot of adrenalin that resurrected an agonizing action movie gimmick...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
26 January 2016

The 70's had "Jaws", the 80's had "Die Hard" and the 90's had "Speed". What do all these movies have in common? An irresistible and unmistakable high concept: a uniqueness in the plot allowing other movies to be summarized by simple combinations, like "Alien" is "Jaws" in space, and "Under Siege " is "Die Hard" in a boat. It's by the way an odd coincidence that the director of "Speed", the unknown Jan de Bont was the cinematographer of "Die Hard", he sure learned in the best school.

So, "Speed" relies on a simple concept: a bus can't slow down under 50 mph, otherwise, it explodes. Let me take a few lines because the wannabe screenwriter I am can't resist to the temptation of exalting such a high high-concept. I think, it's the kind of ideas that are worth at least half the work, I mean, imagine a producer being submitted such a project, how many spectacular premises does that hold? How about a traffic jam? What if a road comes to a dead end? How can the passengers leave the bus? How can they disarm the bomb? How can the villain make sure they can't take the passengers out? How will they be able to fool the villain anyway? etc. etc.

Movies based on "what if" situations are generally the best in the way they make you wonder what can happen next while you're already enjoying the present action, the enjoyment is doubled, and through a bus that can't go down 50 pm, everything is meant to happen fast, to put you on a constant edge. It was a no-fail guarantee and all "Speed" had to deliver were the requirements of the action genre, and get us a memorable movie villain, Dennis Hopper is perfect as the young and maniac bomb expert Howard Payne, a cool hero, Keanu Reeves, a then relatively new face of action movies and a young Sandra Bullock who has this mixture of inner heroism and genuine fear, something our female-power driven era would deem as sexist (God I miss the 90's!).

There is also Jeff Daniels as the more experienced cop, a script full of funny archetypal one- liners, and more than anything, a terrific plot structure. "Speed" actually, could have only consisted on a bus chase and it would have worked, but it spices up the material and pushes the envelope of the action genre by introducing two other spectacular sequences, one introducing the villain, who installs a bomb within the cables of an elevator and threatens to make a dozen of innocent people fall to their death, and the climax that can simply be summed up as "Speed" in a subway. I used to think that this was unnecessary, but when you think about it, "Speed" doesn't just overplay the action card, it also bases itself on a simple third-act structure: introduce the villain, then the meat of the story, the heart-pounding bus ride and then the ultimate confrontation.

"Speed" is like a great shot of adrenaline revisiting what was an agonizing action movie gimmick: the obligatory car chase. It would also inspire a less successful sequel with "Speed 2: Under Control", and I think it's a bit unfair to dismiss the whole movie, it didn't work because it didn't have ambition but because the original had too much of it, so it inevitably paled by comparison. 1994 was a terrific year for movies and it's all the more fitting to have a groundbreaking movie in the action genre.

That was a quick review, but if there's one thing I learned from "Speed" is that sometimes, the faster, the better.

Will forever remain one of the greatest best action movies of all time!

Author: ivo-cobra8 from Slovenia
15 November 2015

Speed (1994) is one of the best action movie ever made!!!! It is one of my favorite Keanu Reeves action movies. I just wish they wouldn't made sequel because it doesn't even compare to the first one. Speed 2: Cruise Control can't hold a candle to this movie. For me the sequel never happened. I only own this movie in Blu-ray collection and that is all. I love the theme score in the beginning of the movie and I love music at end of credits. I just love this movie, alongside with The Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic and Point Break is one of my favorite action film of Keanu Reeves.

This movie is one of those films that is worth of watch and money. It seems like now this days, action films force themselves into a wickedly strange plot to try to be the next sixth sense and put more money into each explosion than into any actors. This is a film that you just love everybody in the movie because the acting is great as well as the original story line. Sure, its no Oscar winning type of film, but if your at home looking for a fun film to watch, SPEED is the right movie for you. Keanu Reeves & Sandra Bullock's chemistry really made this movie work. This movies Is a badass! It is directed by Jan de Bont the same director who directed the god awful sequel. This movie is just great, it is Die Hard on a bus. Speed is simply similar to other sequel movie like are Die Hard With A Vengeance (1995) that come out one year later, when Sandra was handcuffed on the train and Keanu was saving her, the same cuffing scene was later used in Die Hard With A Vengeance. McClane been on a train that explodes and goes off the barrels out of an incomplete stretch of track and crashes, the same scene was used from this movie. Die Hard With A vengeance borrowed out some scenes from this movie including China Town line.

I still love both of these movies, they are both great action films of the 90's and one of my all time favorite Keanu Reeves movies. Speed is a classic in modern terms and one of Keanu Reeves best performances. This movie had me on the edge of my seat from the opening scene. One of the iconic movies of the 1990's, Speed is a highly entertaining, slick and polished action movie. It's a benchmark movie of its genre that was high in tension and excitement without the unruly gore of a 1980's action flick. The story itself is very good; it has some important depth to it that missing from most action movies. The cast is rock solid; Keanu Reeves was perfectly cast as Jack Traven, a smart, agile but reckless police officer with a tendency to disobey orders and creates inventive solutions to get the job done. Jeff Daniels plays the sympathetic, wise polar opposite partner, Harry Temple, well. Dennis Hopper chews the scenes excellently as the charismatic and twisted maniac of villain. Sandra Bullock Annie couldn't be more likable and innocent. Joe Morton's character as the Chief is lively enough to support the lead and the rest of the cast is definitely solid.

The movie is a near perfect one for me. It's like a minor terrorist who knows the police force and knows how to work w/ bombs which is really cool. Not only that Keanu Reeves makes an awesome cop and they have a great cast and supporting cast. Dennis Hopper makes a great villain, Sandra makes a great tough girl, and Jeff makes a great partner. I love the plot and the length of the movie. First starting off with a bomb on an elevator and then on a bus. And since it revolves around the bus ride the entire time they do a good job with adding little problems they must overcome to ensure the bus does not explode, such as sharp turns and getting on an unfinished bridge so they can stay over 50 mph.

Jack Traven (Keanu Reeves), an LAPD cop on SWAT detail, has a fearless nature and a keen understanding of the criminal mind. That, and some luck have kept him alive. But Jack's luck is being put to the ultimate test. An elusive bomber-extortionist Howard Payne (Dennis Hopper) is seeking vengeance after his latest ransom scheme is thwarted. Payne gives a personal challenge to Jack: A bomb is rigged on a city bus, which will detonate if the speedometer drops below 50 MPH. Poor Annie (Sandra Bullock) gets shoved into the driver's seat, while Jack does his best to save the day.

That is the basic plot, it is a slick film about a young cop who must prevent a bomb exploding aboard on a city bus by keeping its speed above 50 mph. and stop a terrorist by executing his plan. I am giving this movie a 10/10 it hell deserves it! I have fun watching it and I still love the score of the films. Great solid action flick of Keanu Reeves I love it!

Speed is a 1994 American disaster action film directed by Jan de Bont in his feature film directorial debut. The film stars Keanu Reeves, Dennis Hopper, Sandra Bullock, Joe Morton, and Jeff Daniels.

10/10 Score: A+ Studio: 20TH Century Fox Starring: Keanu Reeves, Dennis Hopper, Sandra Bullock, Jeff Daniels, Joe Morton Director: Jan De Bont Screenplay: Graham Yost, Joss Whedon Producer: Mark Gordon Rated: R Running Time: 1 Hr. 56 Mins. Budget: $30.000.000 Box Office: $350,448,145

Exciting movie about some desperate passengers threatened who are saved by Reeves and Bullock

Author: ma-cortes
3 February 2010

Los Angeles SWAT daredevil cops( Keaunu Reeves, Jeff Daniels ) commanded by their chief (Joe Morton ) taking on extreme terrorist ( a bomber well performed by Dennis Hooper)who wires first an elevator and after that a public bus where a handful of characters (Alan Ruck, Carlos Carrasco, among others) face certain death . If the bus's speed down 50, it explodes. The starring hops on board but the driver is wounded and a valiant passenger (Sandra Bullock) takes the wheel. Then the bus runs , bounds and flies.

This mindless, interesting and ingenious film is packed with thrills, suspense, tension and lots of interminable action. Enjoyable relationship between two main characters, Reeves and Bullock, based on risked circumstances work out pretty well. Sandra Bullock steals the show as feisty passenger and Keanu Reeves is fine as brave, intrepid police. Witty argument that dispenses excitement as well as entertainment. Packs atmospheric cinematography using Steadicam or hand-held camera by Andrej Bartkowick. And stirring musical score fitting to action by Mark Mancina . The picture is stunningly and effectively realized in his firs-time as director by Jan De Bont, a successful cameraman (Basic Instict, Die Hard) and Paul Verhoveen's usual and occasionally director (Speed 2, Twister). It's followed by inferior sequel ¨Speed II¨ with similar technician and artistic crew , starred by Sandra Bullock, Jason Patrick, Temuera Morrison and Willem Dafoe. The film will appeal to Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock fans. Rating : Better than average, well worth seeing.

had Sandy in it. that's all I need to know

Author: csauer from United States
12 December 2005

Not too hard to please me when it comes to Sandra bullock. If just a still picture of her appeared on the screen I could watch it for two hours. That said guess where I start watching this movie. Right, when Annie gets on the bus. This movie is just plain fun to watch. When she tells Ortese to get back behind the yellow line I laugh every time. Kind of strange Jack did not see the TV camera sooner. It was right there. When Jack and Annie escape the buss tears are pouring from my eyes. The very end same thing. Don't know how Howard managed to get dressed, take Annie and put the explosives on her, and get under the garbage can all in about thirty seconds. He's quick. Oh well who cares. Lot's of great action great acting and yes Sandy. Any one ever notice what a beautiful set of teeth Sandy has? Who looks at teeth? I do.