IMDb > The Silence of the Hams (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Il silenzio dei prosciutti

The Silence of the Hams More at IMDbPro »Il silenzio dei prosciutti (original title)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Highly underrated

Author: Serenis from Linköping, Sweden
17 January 2001

This is possibly the best parody I've ever seen. I admit it's somewhat childish at times, but parodies shouldn't be serious.

This movie is full of details for which you have to see it many times to discover.

Before you see this movie, I recommend that you see Psycho and Silence of the lambs.

Excellent comedy!

Author: trumputte from Sweden, Umeå
1 April 2002

I really enjoyed this movie! it never takes a pause you just get pumped with absurd humor all the time through. Anyway many people dislike it very much, and i can understand them, this is not a movie for the average people. The humor is very special och sick! :)

So if you like unique and odd movies you should see it now!! and if you dont think you'll like it, see it anyway but be sure to stay up all night and turn it on, well sometime around 5:30 in the morning =)

Great film!

Nice old school spoof

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
12 December 2010

Damn. I find THIS funny? I must admit I'm really disappointed in myself, but oh well. "Silence Of The Hams" never even comes close to being well-written or well-directed, and like many spoofs it has a fair share of total groaners. I mean, we're talking about the kind of movie here that names a Hannibal Lecter spoof Dr.Animal Cannibal Pizza. I can barely comprehend how devastatingly witless that joke truly is. And then later a Norman Bates copy shows up and his name turns out to be, God help us all, Antonio Motel. And instead of Sharon Stone, there's...Sharon Bone. These makers really do not like overtime. Somehow though, the movie still has a lot of laugh-out-loud moments, probably because writer/director/star Ezio Greggio got a lot of inspiration from "Naked Gun". The entire script feels like Frank Drebin could walk in any second, the dialogues are crammed with all kinds of stupid misunderstandings. I also very much liked Antonio's narration, which usually provides the biggest laughs of them all. If you turn of your brain completely, this movie is great. If you don't: courage.

Good Spoof

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
29 May 2004

It is an true art form to make a good parody, an art form that Mel Brooks perfected. And even if Mel Brooks has a brief cameo, it is Ezio Greggio that is the mastermind of this one. And though he don't reach the heights of Brooks, he and the rest of the cast and crew delivers a good parody. The base for the parody is Silence of the Lambs and Psycho, but some other movies get spoofed along the way.

In a movie as this it is the jokes that is the essence of it all. One can't really talk of a coherent plot nor is the cast performance the major part. Note however that the performance is not bad, but it is more fun to try to recognize each actor/actress instead, as it is used in some jokes. Now, the joke part, I think that the major part of the jokes and spoofs was very funny. Some didn't work, and some too predictable to produce much laughter. However, all in all, the jokes were good and well worth the time spent watching the movie.

More a Spoof of Psycho than Silence

Author: aesgaard41 from United States
12 December 2000

This movie runs too close to the vein of "Repossessed" inasmuch as the bad jokes nearly out number the good ones. Some of them are stolen from Benny Hill,Airplane and the Naked Guns while the rest of the movie relies heavily on prop jokes and sight gags. The only semi-appealing trait of the movie is how it is filled with numerous recognizable faces such as Lana Scwab from "Repossessed," John Landis, Bubba Smith, Nedra Volz, Peter DeLuise and Wilhelm Von Homburg,Vigo from "Ghostbusters 2." There's also some dead-on lookalikes for George Bush and Bill and Hillary Clinton. Unfortunately, Billy Zane is trying to be too much like Frank Drebin, even stealing his parking style of running into things, while walking around doing his role in a dull trance and jumping into his emotions. He does provide some comic relief as he shows he's more interested in the money than his girlfriend. She's played by Charlene Tilton in an unflattering hair-do and heavy make-up. She also seems to be allowing her figure to do her acting for her. In one of his last roles, Martin Balsam replays his famous scenes from "Psycho." He says,"I feel as if I've been here before." We all have. Larry Storch is stuck doing his old "F-Troop" slapstick as a big-mouth FBI klutz and Stuart Pankin is his haplessly unlucky superior. John Astin plays the "Psycho" sheriff as if he was really Gomez (don't forget to snap your fingers) and Dom DeLuise tries his hand at Hannibal Lecter becoming one of the few really funny characters in the movie as he creates some wierdly disorienting illusions. He does flub a line as he says "I'm off into the arms of Orpheus." I'm sure he meant the god of dreams, Morpheus, not the Thracian musician-prince. Also in the movie is Joanna Pacula,who's not attractive enough to be sexy, and Phyllis Diller as an annoyingly senile old bat pushing her coffee. Rip Taylor is her and Tilton's boss whose name has gone from Hardy to Laurel. One of the trully funny characters is Ezio Greggio, but he has no idea of what works and what doesn't as it seems as if he has thrown together a lot of different jokes. Some of the scenes work very well, but the last scene with the masks is embarrassing for the actors, Tilton even takes a moment to admit it. It brings down the entire movie and pretty much ruins what was already a dying parody.Still, I do like this movie enough to recommend it, but I don't think anyone has the mind to really like this movie.

Martin Balsam Amazes

Author: ecarle
7 July 2004

I can't think of another movie in which an actor replayed his most famous role...for laughs. Millions of people over several decades saw Martin Balsam as the Detective who Gets Killed on the Stairs in "Psycho" (1960). And here he was, 34 years later, playing his every scene from the original as a gag.

Unlike "Psycho" shower murder victim Janet Leigh, Balsam always refused to give interviews on his scenes in "Psycho," feeling it was given too much notice over his other films (he won the 1965 Oscar for "A Thousand Clowns.") I guess he was finally willing to revisit the detective -- for pay. Maybe it was revenge for Balsam to play the role in so bad a movie this time.

Yeah, "Silence of the Hams" is terrible, but as a film artifact, I find Balsam's appearance amazing. His physical appearance, too. He's a fair sight more elderly and frail in "Silence of the Hams" than he was in "Psycho," but he takes his staircase fall ("Again??!!") yet again with grace and humor. Intriguing: this was made by its star, Italian comedian Ezio Greggio, and Martin Balsam died in Italy about a year later. Balsam had appeared in many other Italian-made films. Was this film made in Italy?

Funny at times, overall decent.

Author: Todd Gaines (doc_desire) from Hamilton, Ontario
19 August 2000

This parody of several movies packs some amusing moments, such as Billy Zane flipping open his wallet to reveal a waffle and saying, "FBI have an appointment", and a humourous turn by Dom Deluise as a cannibal, which overall make this movie a decent turn worth a look. How long a look will depend on how much you enjoy slapstick comedy and one-liners. There are times it drags, and some of the jokes are corny, but overall the funny moments outweigh the not funny ones, so give this one a look if you're in the mood for a light laugh.

A Parody along the lines of Naked Gun

Author: Agony from Canada
1 December 1998

Yes, this movie is like Naked Gun and Airplane. It was a good movie, not great good. If you like just plain silly, laugh a minute (or in this movie, like every second line. I don' think there was a serious part in the movie) than give this one a shot. Not a masterpiece of the genre, but just for fun

About as funny as dying from Syphilis …

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
19 July 2006

The only thing you can do whilst watching (no…STRUGGLING yourself through) "Silence of the Hams" is (re-) realizing how brilliant and sophisticated movies like "Airplane", "Hot Shots" and "The Naked Gun" in fact are. Now those movies are funny and witty parodies, whereas this rubbish is simply a spitfire of unbelievable lame jokes and painfully retarded references towards great horror classics. I can't even believe that I watched the whole thing, as five minutes into the movie already makes damn clear that it's not going to get any better. There's not one, even remotely, funny line in Ezzio Greggio's script and I honestly wonder how on earth he managed to mobilize people to join his stupid little project. It's a good thing that he appeared in the movie himself; otherwise I would have assumed that an anonymous army of illiterate monkeys made up the whole thing. There're basically just two types of "gags" in this movie: literal interpretations (or misinterpretations) of the stuff characters are saying ("I can take the bus right outside my apartment!" And, oh yes, the bus stops in the hallway...ha ha ha) or completely over-the-top imitations of classic sequences. The type of imaginations small children would make if they were watching a movie they're too young to understand. Greggio mainly focuses on "Silence of the Lambs" and "Psycho", but several poor other classics are undeservedly downgraded. The funniest thing about "Silence of the Hams" is Billy Zane's character name (Joe Dee Foster) and honestly every other joke falls flat. The worst thing is that Greggio doesn't even seem to care about this and mindlessly continues bringing more crap. The last ten minutes, I came really close to stabbing my eyes out with whatever sharp object that was near to me. It's utterly incomprehensible that acclaimed stars like Mel Brooks ("Young Frankenstein") and John Astin ("The Addams Family") agreed to make a guest appearance. They must know that this crap is inferior to their own work, or maybe that's just why they accepted it. Avoid this like you'd avoid going to the dentist.

Cool!

Author: Nikolay Ivanov from Sofia, Bulgaria
24 October 2001

Yeah, this movie definitely rox the motha' lovin' house! When I first saw it, i couldn't believe there could be such a cool comedy...I really loved it. Maybe lots of people would consider it being lame, but I believe this "lameness" is intentional.Which is the coolest thing:) A nine star from me.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]