IMDb > The Shaggy Dog (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Shaggy Dog (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Yes, let's remake that film. That's a good idea

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
11 August 2013

Part of Disney's '90s program to milk every film they ever made via sequel, prequel, remake and TV series, this is a cheesy rehash of the leaden 1959 film that already spawned two sequels for no good reason and was remade again a decade or so after this attempt. As if reacting against the original's boring flatness, this one is strenuously overplayed and slapped together in tacky, day-glo fashion by hack director Dennis Dugan. It's terrible.

The plot involves squeaky teen Scott Weinger reading an inscription on a cursed ring and intermittently switching places with his neighbour's sheepdog Bundles. What follows is an endless parade of complete and utter banality, aimlessly shuffling along as though the screenplay was mislaid on the first day of shooting. 'Oh man! This is really weird!' understates our transformed hero before he uncovers plans to heist a jewel from a museum. Can the dog foil the thief's plans? How can Weinger tell anyone what's happening when he overheard the plans while in the form of a dog? Will it occur to him not to mention that he was in the form of a dog? Will the curse be lifted? Will our hero ever pluck up the courage to make a left hand turn in his car? And last but not least, who the hell cares?

A typo in the opening credits sets the bar for the movie's quality control. There are plenty of scenes similar to those in the other films, in which Bundles brushes his teeth, drives a car and takes a shower, but thanks to Dugan's relentless ineptitude none of this is remotely funny. There are lines like 'What would she think if she knew her dear old uncle Charlie was really an international jewel thief?' and 'Okay, listen up, Bundles. I want that diamond!' The actors all mug and wave their arms around desperately as if the camera was a mile away. The story is signposted so heavily that the movie and I could have gone our separate ways after ten minutes with no surprises lost.

In other words, this is a load of rubbish.

Harmless Disney family film.

Author: Bob Jenkins from Chicago, Illinois
12 July 1999

Pretty mediocre movie shown on Disney. Not very bad, but not very good either. Jokes are either boring or ridiculous. However, the leads have enough pep to keep movie partially entertaining. All in all, an okay film.

Not great, but the cast is cute!!!

Author: PeachHamBeach from Morro Bay, Hammett Valley, Twin Rocks
17 March 2002

Yet another of the many Disney remakes. I was not nearly as enraged with this one as I was with THE PARENT TRAP remake however...mainly because Jeremy Sisto is in it. Hey, it's not his career pinnacle, but how could I hate ANY movie he's in???!!! Even a silly Disney remake???!!! Scott Weinger is cute enough. Jordan Warkol is an adorable little squirt in this and THE LITTLE RASCALS. I can't complain, I've seen far worse family fare. I'd rather gaze at the adorable mugs of Weinger, Sisto and Warkol than watch, ugh! another teeny barf-fest starring Freddie Prinze Jr or Jodi Lyn O'Keefe!!!