The Santa Clause (1994) Poster

118 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
A touching, light-hearted Christmas story
scott4tnee6 December 2003
"The Santa Clause" isn't laugh out loud, roll on the floor comedy; it isn't old-fashioned "It's a Wonderful Life," romance. Nope. It's an original '90s style Christmas story that tugs at your heart strings, and reminds you that we were all kids once. It reminds you of those days when you dreamt of Santa... when you stood in line waiting to sit on the jolly elf's lap... your knees shaking... as you tried to memorize what you were going to ask Santa. Anyone who isn't touched by this movie should look for the little boy or girl inside, and remember the Christmas Eves when you listened for the clatter of reindeer hooves on the roof. If you have no such memories, you may not understand this movie. Thumbs up to Tim Allen and Judge Reinhold! Thanks for the happy tears!
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tim Allen As...Huh?
jhclues26 November 2001
Ever wonder, who is Santa Claus, really? Where does he come from, how old is he? How in the world does he squeeze down a chimney, and how does he get in if there isn't a chimney? What's the deal here? Well, happily, the answers to these questions and more are finally answered, as the legend of Santa Claus comes to life as never before in `The Santa Clause,' directed by John Pasquin and starring Tim Allen. Scott Calvin (Allen) is an executive with a toy manufacturing company, he's divorced and has a young son, Charlie (Eric Lloyd), who still believes in Santa, but is at an age at which doubt is beginning to creep into the picture. And the fact that Charlie's mom, Laura (Wendy Crewson) has a boyfriend, Dr. Neal Miller (Judge Reinhold), who is a psychiatrist, isn't helping the situation any. Neal, it seems, is adamant about counseling Charlie in the realities of life, which of course includes the real scoop on Santa, which doesn't go over too well with Scott.

Then on Christmas Eve, which Charlie is spending with Scott, a strange thing happens. There's a clatter on the roof, and Scott rushes outside to investigate, where he discovers a man in a red suit clamoring about on the roof of his two-story house. As Scott watches, the man loses his footing and falls into the snow on the front lawn. And to Scott's amazement, it's Santa Claus! Or at least a guy dressed up like Santa, and he's not in very good shape at the moment. Lying there on his back, the man hands Scott a card with instructions written on it about what to do in this particular situation. `Put on the suit,' it says, `The reindeer will know what to do.' And when Scott looks back up at the roof, what he sees concludes what Neal would probably call an SEE (Significant Emotional Experience), and though he doesn't realize it at the moment, his life is about to change forever...

And with that, Pasquin goes on to tell the story of Scott Calvin's amazing odyssey, which puts a humorous, and at times poignant, spin on this contemporary and highly imaginative rendition of the Santa Claus story, which offers much more than merely a fresh face on an old tale. The Santa angle has that universal appeal that will attract viewers initially, but what makes this story really accessible is the reality which lies beneath the fantasy. The relationships examined in this film-- the whole situation with Scott, Charlie, Laura and Neal-- are quite common in our modern world, and that obstacle in the lives of these characters puts a necessary balance in the story that makes it more than just another Christmas fantasy. It puts an edge on the sentimentality that would've been over-the-top had Scott, for example, been a happily married man with a text book family life. That would've been good for maybe a one hour T.V. special on a Tuesday night, whereas this story and the way it's presented is unique and lends itself well to full length motion picture status.

When you think of Tim Allen, you don't necessarily think in terms of Santa Claus-- his Tim Taylor, `Home Improvement' persona is simply too far-reaching (there are, in fact, some `in' jokes sprinkled subtly throughout this film, like when Scott, in Santa's workshop, picks up a toy tool belt and holds it up to himself)-- but it actually becomes a positive here, and another part of the appeal of this film. it establishes Scott as a real person, an average guy attempting to cope with the everyday problems of everyday life. And it keeps the core of the story grounded, which ultimately makes the fantasy work while giving it heart. So, in retrospect, Allen was a perfect choice for the role of Scott Calvin, and in the long run this just may turn out to be one of his most memorable roles (which is somewhat ironic, as this was Allen's big screen debut), because this is certainly the kind of film that is bound to make a lot of people's annual `holiday movies to watch' list, falling into that category of films you can watch over and over again every Christmas season, like `A Christmas Story.' `Christmas Vacation,' `A Christmas Carol' and `It's A Wonderful Life.' All films which, though certainly diverse, have at their center the spirit of Christmas along with family values and traditions, and all told in a way that enables the viewer to readily identify with the characters and the story, which is exactly what this film does.

Eric Lloyd turns in a good performance as Charlie, making his character believable while keeping him positive despite the conflicts which surround him, and Crewson and Reinhold are solid in their respective roles, as well. But in supporting roles, the standout performances come from David Krumholtz, as Bernard, Santa's Head Elf, and Paige Tamada, who is endearing as Judy, the Little Elf.

Rounding out the supporting cast are Peter Boyle (Mr. Whittle), Mary Gross (Miss Daniels), Larry Brandenburg (Detective Nunzio), Judith Scott (Susan), Jayne Eastwood (Judy, the Waitress) and Joyce Guy (Principal Compton). An entertaining and ultimately uplifting movie, `The Santa Clause' is funny and enjoyable and has a lot to offer in the way of family entertainment, the kind of film adults and kids alike are going to appreciate. And it may even make you believe in some things you hadn't even considered before-- but that's for you to figure out as you watch the movie. And that's the magic of the movies. I rate this one 8/10.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Great Holiday Movie, One That I Can Watch Over & Over Throughout The Whole Year.
movies2u20 August 2003
The Santa Clause (1994)

This movie is a holiday classic. Tim Allen is really funny, and the movie is non stop entertaining and fun. This is one movie that I can watch over and over without getting bored, at any time of the year. Simply a holiday classic. Great for the family. 10/10!
41 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Christmas favorite
Monika-58 June 2000
I remember the first time I saw the trailer for The Santa Clause. It was during the previews for The Lion King. As soon as the camera panned up from the snow globe to reveal Tim Allen, all the people in the theater began to laugh. This is a great, wholesome, funny flick that grown-ups and kidlets both can enjoy. Tim Allen was perfect to play the dad who becomes Santa, and I love when he burned the roast! I also thought the actor who played Bernard the elf was very funny and stole every scene he was in. And I especially enjoyed Judge Reinhold's turn as Neal Miller. I love the scene where he finally gets the hot dog whistle he'd wanted since he was a kid! Great holiday fun!
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely hilarious Christmas flick!
Catherine_Grace_Zeh17 November 2005
THE SANTA CLAUSE, in my opinion, is an absolutely hilarious Christmas flick! I thought that Scott (Tim Allen) was a very funny guy, although he wasn't very jolly when he was first recruited to be the new Santa. Even so, I laughed really hard when he said, "Yeah, same to you, and that's not very ladylike," "Nice teeth," and, "It felt like 'AMERICA'S MOST WANTED!'" I also laughed when he imitated cats and dogs fighting. Oh, man, those parts were funny! Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say, "Tim Allen has scored huge!" Now, in conclusion, if you are a fan of Tim Allen, and you haven't this absolutely hilarious Christmas flick, I highly recommend it, that is, if you haven't seen it.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The "Tool Man" gets jolly
Vice-510 October 1999
With great, funny holiday flicks like "The Christmas Story" and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation", "The Santa Clause" is next on line to add laughs as the common sounds of Christmas other than jingling bells! Tim Allen is great in his movie debut as Scott, a toy salesman that owned the roof where Santa Claus fell from to his death! So in pleading cries from his young son, Scott puts on the late jolly-old-elf's suit and instantly becomes Santa, which insues problems to him, his ex-wife and her new boyfriend (played with annoying sarcasm by Judge Reinhold) and Scott's son. That's where the real chaos starts! > "The Santa Clause" is a great flick to watch on Christmas Eve. True, it can get too sentimental at times (Scott and his wife are battling for custody of their son. Remember "Kramer Vs Kramer" and "Over the Top"?!). But that surely fades away thanks to Tim Allen's antics. It'll make you wonder if Santa really is that clumsy!!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
funny..imaginative...good
ShortCuteBlonde24 November 2002
i liked this movie ever since i was little..it was funny and it had a lot of fantasy and good acting by all the people that played in it...it had comedy, fantasy and it was just a good movie to watch for christmas, or any time of the year!
25 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful film
studioAT12 December 2010
This is a truly magical film that will continue to enchant children and adults for years and generations to come.

The simple premise is executed well and Pasquin excels in making a film that appeals to all ages.

Tim Allen plays his part to perfection and has never been funnier. He captures all the heart that the film needs as well as having an excellent on screen rapport with young Eric Lloyd.

All the other cast members are good in their roles with David Krumholtz being the standout.

Overall a fantastic film that for me truly sums up the spirit of Christmas. Although I like the sequels that followed this film this is the true classic of the series.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun, heart-warming Christmas comedy!
rcryniak21 November 2003
I really enjoyed this movie. It was heart-warming and fun to watch. I remember as a child watching my favorite Christmas movies, such as the Grinch that Stole Christmas (cartoon), Miracle on 34th Street, and the classic Scrooge. This movie was so full of fun and warm fuzzies, and PERFECT for the holiday season, that it has easily earned its way into the holiday film montage for my family.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very pleasant and amiable family Christmas film
TheLittleSongbird31 December 2009
I really liked this film, it is very funny and pleasant. Tim Allen gives a truly amusing performance as Scott Calvin, who replaces Santa after he falls off the roof. The plot is original, the script is fun, and the pace is surprisingly even. Don't expect a classic like Scrooge(1951), the first 2 Home Alone movies or It's a Wonderful Life, just expect a pleasant family Christmas film, that way the whole family is in for a good time. The film is directed with careful precision, and the characters are likable, though I did find the parents a tad too clichéd and the film a tad too overly sentimental in places. If I had a favourite character, I think it was Judy, there was something about her truly infectious smile that made me warm to her. All in all, well above average and highly recommended. 8/10 Bethany Cox
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Holiday Film
Christmas-Reviewer17 December 2016
BEWARE OF BOGUS REVIEWS. SOME REVIEWERS HAVE ONLY ONE REVIEW TO THEIR NAME. NOW WHEN ITS A POSITIVE REVIEW THAT TELLS ME THEY WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOVIE. IF ITS A NEGATIVE REVIEW THEN THEY MIGHT HAVE A GRUDGE AGAINST THE FILM . NOW I HAVE REVIEWED OVER 200 HOLIDAY FILMS. I HAVE NO AGENDA. I AM VERY HONEST ABOUT THESE FILMS.

I do not like Tim Allen as a person but I can put that aside and still enjoy this film. In this film Divorced dad Scott (Tim Allen) has custody of his son (Eric Lloyd) on Christmas Eve. After he accidentally kills a man in a Santa suit, they are magically transported to the North Pole, where an elf explains that Scott must take Santa's place before the next Christmas arrives. Scott thinks he's dreaming, but over the next several months he gains weight and grows an inexplicably white beard. Maybe that night at the North Pole wasn't a dream after all - - and maybe Scott has a lot of work to do.

This film really works and works well, It is a modern tale about family and having faith in others even when they might not have it themselves!

The laughs come very frequently and there is Charm to spare. I love this movie!
Lackluster yuletide comedy...
moonspinner5515 September 2011
Cynical businessman and single dad Tim Allen gets to be the new St. Nicholas after the actual Santa Claus takes a spill Christmas morning. Thin holiday confection from screenwriters Leo Benvenuti and Steve Rudnick is fairly tolerable until the desperate third act (featuring a police search for Tim's missing child). Allen, then a popular TV fixture on the hit sitcom "Home Improvement", easily carried his Everyman appeal onto the big screen with this sugar-coated perennial. The success of the film was not inexplicable, however the results are not particularly witty or inventive. Kids enjoyed it at the time, but of course; the humor is purely television (without the interruptions). Followed by two sequels. ** from ****
Wonderful Christmas Film!
g-bodyl25 October 2010
This is a pretty good Christmas classic that spawned two good sequels. I saw this when I was a little kid back in 1994. I loved it. Now that I saw it again sixteen years later, it may have lost some magic on me but I still enjoyed it immensely. Tim Allen is a good actor despite what some people say.

This is about how Scott Calvin, a divorcée dad, becomes the new Santa Claus. Once he accepts his new role, he has the impossible task of telling his family.

I think Tim Allen was pretty good here. I know he's not the best actor, but he's still pretty decent. I was happy to see Wendy Crewson and Judge Reinhold.

Overall, this is a good Christmas tale that is wonderful to show during the holiday season. I'm going to see it and the two sequels every Christmas. I rate this film 8/10.
Good sappy Christmas film
hillary123 December 2004
I just saw this movie again after a few years away. It's an entertaining film. Tim Allen is essentially Tim Taylor in a Santa suit (it's a good thing he can live forever off "Home Improvement" residuals because he'll never be known for his range). But he fits the bill here, as a businessman slowly being transformed into St Nick despite desperate attempts not to. The only thing about it that bugged me was the way Santa was offed in the beginning-can Santa really die from falling off a roof? And wouldn't they be just a little bummed out at the North Pole-after all, Santa just got bumped off!! It seems like that could have been handled a little better, but overall a good Christmas movie, even with an attractive kid who doesn't make you want to go screaming from the room
A Holiday Treasure
CurtMan@LVCM.com23 November 2004
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS*** "The Santa Clause" is a delightful, funny, and pleasant deviation from your typical "Santa Claus" story. Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) is a perfectly ordinary man who sells toys, dines at regular restaurants, and is incredulous about the spirit of Christmas. That is, until one magical Christmas Eve, the real Santa plummets from his roof and he is coerced into fulfilling the responsibilities as Santa Claus, an offer he simply cannot refuse. So ensues a calamitous, misadventurous night for Scott Calvin and his innocuous son Charlie, of delivering presents all around the world with exhaustion, only to conclude the evening at the North Pole, full of curious and inquisitive little elves who serve Scott and Charlie chocolate milk, dress them in royal pajamas, and stress that if Scott does not assume the role of Santa, then children throughout the world will be devastated. It can't be easy being the man in the red suit, especially when your personality doesn't satisfy the duties required. From Christmas Eve on, Scott Calvin experiences a marvelous transformation- from his appearance and appetite, to his tendencies and even language, to become a suitable Santa Claus by the following Thanksgiving, while being scoffed and threatened by "the outside party" (e.g. his former wife's fiancée, a psychiatrist frequently offers him "therapy"). For the most part, "The Santa Clause" is an endearing, delightful, and fruitful family comedy. There are some significant flaws, however, such as: the tone frequently going from jolly and refreshing, to depressing and melancholy, from the realms of the North Pole, to the doldrums of the adulterated society. This kind of deviation is perhaps too serious and even discouraging for an innocuous Christmas comedy- and why would everyone who disbelieved in Santa Claus be so inclined to destroy Scott Calvin, for his harmless spirit and whim? Fortunately, by the end, it seems everyone has developed a newfound spirit towards Christmas and Santa Claus, through the convenience of witnessing Santa riding to the North Pole- and all is ended well: "A merry Christmas to all, and to all a great night!" This is a mostly enjoyable Christmas comedy that is heartwarming, funny, and endearing, and definitely worth catching around the holidays. Some inspiring words from an elf: "Just because you don't believe in something, doesn't mean it isn't real". If only we could be so innocent and resigned, celebrate our imaginations and fantasies, and believe in the spirit of Christmas! *** out of ****
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Santa Clause
Jackson Booth-Millard19 September 2005
I had never truly understood the meaning behind the spelling of the word Clause in the title, so with all the sequels being shown after this original during Christmas I decided to watch this once again, from director John Pasquin (Jungle 2 Jungle, Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous). Basically Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) has been divorced from ex-wife Laura (Wendy Crewson) for some time now, and though she is married to a slightly annoying Dr. Neil Miller (Beverly Hills Cop's Judge Reinhold), he still has access to his six year old son Charlie (Eric Lloyd). Still a big believer of Santa Claus, Scott doesn't want to upset Charlie, and on Christmas Eve there is an unexpected visitor, and shouting up to the man in the red suit, Scott unintentionally causes him to fall off. Charlie comes outside and sees that his Dad has seemingly killed Santa Claus, a supposed identity card confirms who he is, and there is a note saying that he should put on the coat and take over the sleigh and reindeer. So with Charlie urging him on, Scott does indeed put on the red coat and is taken from house to drop off the hundreds of presents to houses far and wide. Eventually the delivering is over and they are taken to the North Pole and the workshop of many elves, who admittedly look like children but are working very hard for next year. Lead elf Bernard (David Krumholtz) tells him that because he put on the red coat he is now taking over all responsibilities, this is the Santa Clause (a law contract or regulation, you would get one with a divorce), and he is now the new Santa Claus. So not long after returning home for the remaining year before December approaches, Charlie is still insisting to everyone that his father is Santa Claus, while Scott develops the big guy attributes, such as the white hair, a beard that won't go away and a big gut that won't be slimmed. Eventually he has truly become Santa Claus and there is nothing he can do about it, so he accepts his responsibility, and returns to the North Pole ready to steer the sleigh and reindeer. There is a point when Laura and Neil tried to stop Scott seeing Charlie, and the police get involved with finding Santa Clais, but in the end, everything settles. Also starring Larry Brandenburg as Det. Nunzio, Mary Gross as Miss Daniels, Paige Tamada as Judy the Elf, Peter Boyle as Mr. Whittle and Judith Scott as Susan Perry. I didn't realise this was the first feature film Allen starred in, a good debut as a Scrooge like working father with quite a few sarcastic comments, and it of course led him to become the voice of Toy Story's Buzz Lightyear. The story is filled with some clever Christmassy reference, many funny slapstick and sentimental moments you've come to expect from Disney, all in all, a fun for all the family seasonal fantasy comedy. Worth watching!
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why'd It Make So Much Money?
gbheron9 February 2004
I remember The Santa Clause from 1994 and the good vibe it generated and the money it made. But at the time I gave it a pass; my children were teenagers and didn't have much interest in kids movies. Nor did I. But this holiday season I felt like feel-good movie. Something akin to A Christmas Story, one of my all-time favorites, but one I've seen too many times. I needed a new Christmas movie and The Santa Claus seemed like a promising candidate. Wrong.

Tim Allen plays Scott Calvin, a workaholic divorced parent who cannot connect with his young son. And he desperately wants to, both for his son and to offset the influence of Mom's new boyfriend. But Scott can't do anything right. Then on Christmas Eve Scott accidentally kills Santa Clause. Funny, huh? The clause in the title is not a misspelling, but refers to the legal clause that requires anyone who offs Santa to take his place. This is cleverly done, although it is a bit maudlin. Well guess what happens? Scott learns the (non-religious) meaning of Christmas, bonds with his son, discovers himself…make that a lot maudlin.

In 1994 Tim Allen was riding high with his hit TV show, Home Improvement, and in The Santa Clause he plays Tim Allen playing Tim Allen playing Santa Clause. No stretch here. And the rest of the cast is just there as a foil for Tim. And the plot, however clever, just wasn't very entertaining to this reviewer. Actually, this minority commentator didn't like The Santa Clause very much at all, and certainly can't recommend it to anyone.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
what wrong with America anymore???
trevorsomerset25 January 2007
Whats the matter with some people now a days?? Everyone's ditching the American youths hopes and wishes. There just kids, let them believe there is a Santa clause, It gives them something to look forward to. Everyone is always trying to get kids to grow up faster. Let them enjoy there childhood, they only get one. I personally though the movie was awesome and I know my kids really enjoyed it. I thought Tim Allen did a horrendous job in play jolly ol' saint nick. The effects were awesome(considering time movie was made)with getting the reindeer and the chimney effects etc...It was a great movie and everyone needs to quit crushing children's dreams. Thats why there's violence in schools.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie is just plain bad...
gloomyrival7 February 2007
This film is contrived and awful. Tim Allen is as personable as Santa Claus as a wet piece of bread. He plays a divorced father, of course, who takes the place of Santa Claus when the real Santa is killed. Hilarious stuff. Lots of typical Disney poo-poo humor and meaningless sub-plots to fill in the vapid film. The movie relies on special effects and shallow humor to mask it's patronizing nature. If the Tim Allen character couldn't even keep his wife happy, what makes an audience think he can spread joy to the entire world as Santa Claus? Tim Allen is a horrible actor who only knows one speed, he's definitely not versatile and every sentimental scene in the movie seems false and forced. The movie may have been popular, but that does not mean that it was good. The jokes in the movie already seem dated and stale, like Michael Jackson's career, people one day will not be raving how good it was, but why in the world in the first place did they like this travesty. Bound for the rubbish bin of the 90's.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Definitely The Best Christmas Film For Kids...
fearfulofspiders21 September 2008
Along with Elf and Jingle All the Way, The Santa Clause is another film in a line of movies I could recommend to all families to watch on Christmas Day just after opening all those presents. From the acting to the story, everything works. Tim Allen does a great job as Scott Calvin, and Judge Reinhold is superb as Dr. Neil Miller. There's some special effects used here and there, and considering the budget and year-produced, it's slightly adequate. The characters are easy to relate to, and we really pull for Scott to have the film end in a happy ending.

All in all, this is a nice film. It's completely harmless to children, the comedy works every time, and the story is very endearing and will make your child even more anxious for next year's Christmas.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gets my vote for being the worst movie ever made
Tug-326 December 2000
_The Santa Clause_ is the most distasteful and resoundingly mediocre film I have ever seen. The underlying premise of the movie -- the violent death of the patron saint of children, treated as goofy slapstick -- is repellent, and none of the some forty-thousand extraneous subplots the filmmakers tack on can change this.

What I hate most about this film is its smarminess. Disney Studios has the ability, and the money, to make good comedies -- for example, its recent effort _The Kid_ was witty and entertaining. But in lowest-common denominator efforts like _The Santa Clause,_ the Studio chucks all reliance on plot, character, or invention, and relies instead on what it imagines children will find amusing. When Tim Allen first encounters Santa's reindeer, it's a no-brainer that one of them will be flatulent; hey, kids just love flatulence jokes! When Tim as Santa drinks a glass of milk, of course he thinks it's turning sour! Kids just adore gross-out humor! Everything in the movie is on autopilot, including the de rigeur badguy, the lame fat jokes, the whiny kid who saves the day and crawls under your skin like a parasite, and the treacly, nauseating ending in which I guess we are supposed to learn the true meaning of Christmas.

No films anger me as much as mediocre films -- films that are not willing to take a chance. It is amazing how this film can take such a gruesome premise and play it off as a joke -- there is not even a moment's mourning for the passing of poor St. Nicholas. In the ideal world, Frank Capra would rise from the dead and slap the snot out of Tim Allen for making such a cruel and lukewarm holiday film.
8 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming Christmas fantasy the whole family can enjoy...
Neil Doyle3 December 2010
TIM ALLEN provides a bunch of chuckles and good cheer as the amiable, goofy father of ERIC LLOYD who sees Santa Claus take a tumble off his roof one Christmas Eve and finds he must substitute for the "big guy," taking the reindeer to the North Pole toy shop for further directions along with his young son.

The script is full of one-liners that Allen tosses off with comic skill. His father role is played for laughs but also has his tender side when moments call for it. His needling of JUDGE REINHOLD about his awful sweaters becomes a running joke. So do many of the other amusing moments in a script that is both clever and highly original. ERIC LLOYD proves to be an appealing child actor as the boy who urges his father to be a substitute Santa.

To get a flavor of the dialog, just take a look at the "quotes" from the film on the Quote page.

It's handsomely produced in wonderful color to give the film its winter atmosphere (filmed in Canada).

Summing up: It's worth going along for the ride. A charming Christmas fantasy with lots of amusing situations. Brisk entertainment for the masses, it inspired a couple of sequels.
Made nearly perfect by Tim Allen
kyle-cruse21 December 2008
Some people may not call it this, but for me, "The Santa Clause" is a Christmas favorite. I have seen it at least ten times and it is one of my traditions to watch it at least once during every Christmas season. It's a very funny film, and Tim Allen manages to deliver some of his very best and funniest lines ever, which do not deserve to be spoiled in this comment. It's also a very original and engaging story; a divorced dad must take over the job of Santa after the real Santa falls off his roof, but first his son has to help him warm up to the idea. That being said, I admit that it's not a perfect film (ex: Tim Allen's son is kind of bratty), but for a movie like this I'm willing to settle for less than perfect. Few family films are this funny for kids and adults alike. Tim Allen makes more hilarious wisecracks here than in any other film I have seen him in. Seeing him go from a sarcastic divorced father to a loving Santa Claus is a very touching story, and the concept of a "Santa Clause" (a contract to become Santa) is completely original. If you haven't seen this film, watch it this Christmas. This is a real treat. I have seen it enough times to know, and I still enjoy it every year.

***1/2 out of ****
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My kids and I loved this movie
gravie29 November 1999
My 2 year old just sat there and actually watched the whole thing, he loved the toy factory....as well as my 7 year old found the love story between son and dad wonderful. this is a great christmas addition. It will never take the place of "It's a wonderful life", but gets pretty darn close.
Bah, Humbug!!
ccthemovieman-121 July 2006
I hope Disney has moved on from this sort of thing. For some reason, I think they have, making a little more solid "family films."

This turned out to be yet another modern-day "family film" that had all the typical Disney features: a story based on a character who lies frequently; a number of subtle sex jokes (such as obscene telephone numbers), a snotty and unrealistic lead kid who uses an unrealistic vocabulary and is shown to be more mature than his bumbling Dad. (Intelligence, loving fathers are never found in these PC fiasco's). And, of course, we have the divorced family: the only kind Hollywood knows.

Other than that, it's a nice holiday family film!
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this