IMDb > Pulp Fiction (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction More at IMDbPro »

Page 12 of 236: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

''I'm gonna get medieval on your ass!''

Author: RaspberryLucozade from Wallyford, East Lothian, Scotland
2 October 2017

It would pointless for me to describe 'Pulp Fiction' in exact detail as the basis for the film as been extensively posted elsewhere on the net. It is probably the most popular of Quentin Tarantino's films, possibly due to the influence it had on not only other film creators but also on music groups, particularly Fun Lovin' Criminals, who used the opening sequence of the film as part of their 1996 chart hit 'Scooby Snacks'. Personally, I do not rate it as highly as Tarantino's later hit 'Kill Bill' but all the same I enjoyed it and compared to Tarantino's dreadful 'From Dusk Till Dawn', is a masterpiece.

As someone far too young to have seen it on its initial release, I did not see it until I was in my teens when my family acquired a VHS copy of it. Admittedly, I found some of it too difficult to follow but I found it worth watching for the action and the presence of the stunningly beautiful Uma Thurman, who with her mid-length black hair and flexible dance moves made my heart throb ( amongst other things, pardon the expression ).

Aside from the violent action, there is also a fair deal of humour on display, such as the dance sequence between John Travolta and Uma Thurman in the diner, the sight of Samuel L. Jackson's character's personalised wallet emblazoned with the slogan 'Badass Motherf**ker!' and the scene used both at the opening and closing of the film in which a couple of bandits' attempts to rob a diner are foiled.

One or two scenes make for uncomfortable viewing such as Uma Thurman's character almost dying after overdosing on heroin or Ving Rhames being raped by a corrupt police officer.

I have not seen 'Pulp Fiction' for some time so my review is based on my memories of it. I do remember enjoying it very much. Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer, Ving Rhames and Bruce Willis are among the best players in the film.

I am not a fan of Quentin Tarantino on a personal level ( he strikes me as being something of a creep ) but one cannot deny that he is an excellent filmmaker. His next big hit came in 1997 with 'Jackie Brown' which also featured Samuel L. Jackson and in 2003 Thurman took on the lead role for the superb 'Kill Bill'.

Just one thing that puzzles me about 'Pulp Fiction'. Just what was it exactly that was it in the briefcase that Travolta opened?

A solid accomplishment of filmmaking.

Author: Andrew Miller from United States
2 October 2017

For a long time, Pulp Fiction was always a movie that never appealed to me as given it's gore and blatant language, I stayed away from it but after a friend had recommend it to me, I decided to finally watch it and let me tell you, it certainly deserves all the praise it's gotten. From it's graphic violence and slick directing to it's talented cast and kick-ass soundtrack, Pulp Fiction is one of the crown jewels of cinema history.

As the movie's story isn't told in chronological order, the three main stories continually interconnect with each other starting with two hit-men named Vincent and Julies appearing at an apartment complex to commandeer a briefcase for their boss Marcellus Wallace and murder a man named Brett and one of his assistants. They then deliver the case to Marcellus only to be kept waiting while Wallace brides a boxer named Butch to be intentionally knocked out during his upcoming match. What follows is a series of events from Vincent taking Marcellus's wife on a date to Marcellus and Butch being held hostage by a pawnshop owner.

One of the first scenes of the movie are Vincent and Julies taking about what a Big Mac in France is called, the scene is humorous and has a certain charm to it but it also makes these two hit-men look a bit too ordinary. If the viewer didn't realize, they would think that these two are just talking on their way to work, but what's interesting is that their discussion has no importance to the outcome of the movie and yet without scenes like this, Pulp Fiction would never have been the movie that it is today. One gets the sense that Tarantino threw whatever he wanted into the film and yet in some way, the finished movie isn't just consistent but amazingly rough around the edges.

As the movie doesn't follow a single narrative, some people will have problems keeping up with the story and who's backstabbing who, but the movie works a lot better if you pay close attention to what is happening and see it as a dark comedy disguised as a crime drama. Each of the stories in the movie start with a circumstance that could have been developed for any run-of the-mill crime movie, but something always manages to go awry, some tiny sudden calamity which effects the entire case and causes it to crumble, driving the frenzied characters to bizarre methods. Tarantino's creativeness comes from a capability to focus on insignificant details and accompany them wherever they might go, even if they divert the story away from predictable story changes.

It's no surprise that fans of the movie have spent arguing about what's in the suitcase, which leads to them delving deeper into the film more than Tarantino anticipated. The movie is so wonderfully arranged with a lot of amazing details, many of them you won't even see on your first viewing so the film seems to be bawling for deep analysis, but there isn't anything to really analyze, as the name of the film implies, it's an accomplishment in craft and method and a distinguished and arranged one at that. Perhaps no other movie script will ever find a superior role for detours as the entire movie seems to involve them at every turn. No character speaks a line of dialog in a sincere way as Julies does in one of the final scenes of the movie where he could just tell the couple robbing a restaurant that they should just stay clam and no one will be injured which would be a typical line of dialog from your standard action or crime movie, but rather than do that, Jules goes out on a limb about what Fonzie is then asks the robber to get his wallet. Tarantino relishes every phrase uttered by his characters, discovering a promising joke in every conversation and fortifying it with crafty mainstream culture mentions, but the dialog isn't just funny; it's packed with insightful reflections on human conduct or people's religious views. Mia Wallace's comment to Vincent about reveling in the silence or Julies reciting Ezekiel 25.17 are the best examples of this and out of all the scripts to come out of Hollywood, Pulp Fiction is truly one of the best.

The film is also shot wonderfully with no shortage of bright colors, amazing camcorder shots and fantastic camera angles, the soundtrack is also amazing with a great mix of classic songs ranging from Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man" and Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" to Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon" which help to make it a truly unique movie but also makes it more fun to watch.

for a film of this magnitude to work, the cast had to be perfect for the roles and they certainly deliver on that. Uma Thurman is wonderful as Mia Wallace nailing the sharp dialog with ease, Bruce Willis provides a dynamic performance as the boxer Butch as does Maria De Mederios as Butch's girlfriend. Ving Rhams plays mob boss Marcellus Wallace in true style. Eric Scholtz is great as the drug dealer Lance, Christopher Waken pops up in a flash from the past scene and gives a fine performance even if his time on screen isn't very much and even director Quentin Tarantino shows up in a short cameo. John Travolta's performance as Vincent Vega is truly a sight to see as he puts a new coat of paint on the role of the hit-man and makes it his own with just the right amount of elegance and charm, while Samuel L. Jackson is perfect as Jules with his undercurrent of evilness, showing an attitude of vicious anger and is still to maintain his cool even when facing death.

There isn't much else I can say about Pulp Faction except to go watch it if you haven't already.

When you don't really know why you loved a movie

Author: sakram from Hawaii
30 September 2017

I will keep this short, Pulp Fiction is a great movie, it has a clever screen writing and astounding acting, directing, and other aspects. The Movie goes on, and you be like "What, why" but you just forget it because it's hilarious, and genuine.

By the movie's ending, I realized I liked the movie, and enjoyed every bit of it, and til now I don't really know the reason, I may well re-watch it, 'cuz it's worth another look-at.

Great in it's own way

Author: mario_subasic
21 September 2017

This movie has it's own type, it's own vibe that you can't find in other movies. It's weirdness and way of telling a story is fascinating that after 2 times of watching you remember the exact words of Sam L Jackson. Tarantino has such a unique mind of organizing his cast crew and choosing the right music for his work that you just can't do anything then enjoy it. Big, big recommendations for future generations and these old ones that didn't see it.

Nice Nice Nice

Author: Andrew Rozario from United Arab Emirates
21 September 2017

Christopeher Nolan is a talented director. With batman begins,he created such a fantastic atmosphere that he brought batman character back in game. With the dark knight, he made not only a great second sequel, but also one of the best movies of the past 10 years. He mixed action, heroism, feeling, literature, colors so well that you feel kind of high when the movie ends. There is no doubt about it.

But i see some people who don't mind to compare this movie with some old masterpieces and say the dark knight is the best movie so far.Haha, this is completely unacceptable.

But I still feel like I have to congratulate Christopher Nolan for making such a good film. Thanks...

Quentin Tarantino and Uma Thurman

Author: Clara Griffiths
19 September 2017

Quentin Tarantino stole my heart the first time I saw one of his movies. But nothing has changed since then, because every now and then when I watch his movies again, my heart beats as the very first time. Uma Thurman and Quentin make a very good combo, the perfect relationship between actress and director and I only wish, as an actress myself, that I can find my Quentin one day. Truly love, C x

Typical Tarantino (Not My Fancy)

Author: audrablum from Los Angeles, CA
18 September 2017

Pulp Fiction, which was released in 1994, is one of those movies that is said to be a staple movie for any aspiring movie maker to see. So naturally, I decided to watch it. This film is directed by none other than Quentin Tarantino. I can say with certainty that the script and shot style is a trademark of his films. The log line goes like this "The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption." Tarantino's films always leave me feeling rather disturbed. This was no exception. Tarantino follows a much different direction when it comes to directing that I would. His shot style is usually "life like," with minimal close up shots and lots and lots of long shots that hang with one choice of framing (usually cowboy to long shots). The content was very Tarantino-esque filled with cursing, drug-use, and disappointing life choices for most of the characters involved. It concerns me to some degree that Tarantino's films perpetuate both a negative view of and violence towards women. All the women in this film were anti- heroic and good only for sexual arousal or companionship. Not once did a woman positively contribute to the good of the plot line. She was typically being used or abused, and the men in the flick were allowed to justify their violence against these women. The dialogue was also pretty standard of Tarantino with lots of verbal assaults, threats, and shouting. I didn't find much to engage in in terms of cerebral availability. To wrap it up- I could have in fact gone my entire film career and not watched Pulp Fiction, as blasphemous as that may seem in the movie industry. Just my two cents.

great direction and score

Author: Ron Lewis from Los angeles
12 September 2017

what I like in particular about this film was that I live in Los Angeles, CA and many of the locations were places that I have frequented or passed by. In particular, the restaurant scene happens to be one of my favorites where John T. and Samuel L. great dialogue takes place. I did have the opportunity to do some artwork in the windows of that same restaurant called Pann's and met the owner Jim who is a great guy as well. I got some of the back story on what happened behind the scenes with the restaurant during the shoot.

Brilliant Piece of Crime Cinema

Author: Nicky Kelly from Edinburgh
12 September 2017

In my opinion, this is the best thing to come from Quentin Tarantino's mind, and one of the most unique film ever made, although ironically borrowing a lot from other films.

The strongest part of the film's story telling isn't that it has a particularly emotional or epic plot, but rather the way in which the film's stories are told. Tarantino decides to take the film's story and present it out of chronological order, and although things like this have been done before, no film as done it quite as perfectly as Pulp Fiction. This non linear structure allows for Tarantino to make the film uber-rewatachable and incredibly unpredictable to first time viewers, making the film much more compelling to watch. If Tarantino didn't use this structure, the film may have still had great dialogue and great scenes, but it wouldn't be half the film it is now.

Another great strength of this film is it's script, which has to go down as one of the best film scripts ever written. The dialogue is perhaps the most entertaining part of the enter movie, as the two leads (John Travolta & Samuel L. Jackson) carry their scenes excellently with their back and forth dialogue. Tarantino also manages to use this quick and witty dialogue in some of the film's most intense scenes such as when Jules and Vincent take their boss's briefcase back from Brett, and the film's climax scene in the coffee shop.

Overall, this is masterpiece of non-linear storytelling, dialogue and originality, and this film deserves all the fame and awards that it did receive, and perhaps more.

2:34 minutes of excellence , must watch movie in world cinema

Author: Murali Krishna from india
11 September 2017

i watched movie 5 years ago , at that time i didn't understand. but when i saw it again i really feel that i miss a master piece in movie industry. awesome direction and fantastic way of story telling with some mind blowing characters. Tarantino is the only guy who portrayed such simple stories in a entertaining way. this one is my all time watchable favourite movie