Pulp Fiction (1994) Poster

(1994)

2,408 Reviews
what the pulp
localvolta18 February 2018
This movie masterpiece is the 'cult' movies.Spectacular editing,perfect scenario and 90's excellence.Travolta??.what more do you want?
Fun movie
Zuzinjola11 February 2018
One of the early scenes in "Pulp Fiction" features two hit-men discussing what a Big Mac is called in other countries. Their dialogue is witty and entertaining, and it's also disarming, because it makes these two thugs seem all too normal. If you didn't know better, you might assume these were regular guys having chit-chat on their way to work. Other than the comic payoff at the end of the scene, in which they use parts of this conversation to taunt their victims, their talk has no relevance to anything in the film, or to anything else, for that matter. Yet without such scenes, "Pulp Fiction" wouldn't be "Pulp Fiction." I get the sense that Tarantino put into the film whatever struck his fancy, and somehow the final product is not only coherent but wonderfully textured.

It's no wonder that fans spend so much time debating what was in the suitcase, reading far more into the story than Tarantino probably intended. The film is so intricately structured, with so many astonishing details, many of which you won't pick up on the first viewing, that it seems to cry out for some deeper explanation. But there is no deeper explanation. "Pulp Fiction," is, as the title indicates, purely an exercise in technique and style, albeit a brilliant and layered one. Containing numerous references to other films, it is like a great work of abstract art, or "art about art." It has all the characteristics we associate with great movies: fine writing, first-rate acting, unforgettable characters, and one of the most well-constructed narratives I've ever seen in a film. But to what end? The self-contained story does not seem to have bearing on anything but itself.

The movie becomes a bit easier to understand once you realize that it's essentially a black comedy dressed up as a crime drama. Each of the three main story threads begins with a situation that could easily form the subplot of any standard gangster movie. But something always goes wrong, some small unexpected accident that causes the whole situation to come tumbling down, leading the increasingly desperate characters to absurd measures. Tarantino's originality stems from his ability to focus on small details and follow them where they lead, even if they move the story away from conventional plot developments.

Perhaps no screenplay has ever found a better use for digressions. Indeed, the whole film seems to consist of digressions. No character ever says anything in a simple, straightforward manner. Jules could have simply told Yolanda, "Be cool and no one's going to get hurt," which is just the type of line you'd find in a generic, run-of-the-mill action flick. Instead, he goes off on a tangent about what Fonzie is like. Tarantino savors every word of his characters, finding a potential wisecrack in every statement and infusing the dialogue with clever pop culture references. But the lines aren't just witty; they are full of intelligent observations about human behavior. Think of Mia's statement to Vincent, "That's when you know you've found somebody special: when you can just shut the f--- up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence."

What is the movie's purpose exactly? I'm not sure, but it does deal a lot with the theme of power. Marsellus is the sort of character who looms over the entire film while being invisible most of the time. The whole point of the big date sequence, which happens to be my favorite section of the film, is the power that Marsellus has over his men without even being present. This power is what gets Vincent to act in ways you would not ordinarily expect from a dumb, stoned gangster faced with an attractive woman whose husband has gone away. The power theme also helps explain one of the more controversial aspects of the film, its liberal use of the N-word. In this film, the word isn't just used as an epithet to describe blacks: Jules, for instance, at one point applies the term to Vincent. It has more to do with power than with race. The powerful characters utter the word to express their dominance over weaker characters. Most of these gangsters are not racist in practice. Indeed, they are intermingled racially, and have achieved a level of equality that surpasses the habits of many law-abiding citizens in our society. They resort to racial epithets because it's a patter that establishes their separateness from the non-criminal world.

There's a nice moral progression to the stories. We presume that Vincent hesitates to sleep with Mia out of fear rather than loyalty. Later, Butch's act of heroism could be motivated by honor, but we're never sure. The film ends, however, with Jules making a clear moral choice. Thus, the movie seems to be exploring whether violent outlaws can act other than for self-preservation.

Still, it's hard to find much of a larger meaning tying together these eccentric set of stories. None of the stories are really "about" anything. They certainly are not about hit-men pontificating about burgers. Nor is the film really a satire or a farce, although it contains elements of both. At times, it feels like a tale that didn't need to be told, but for whatever reason this movie tells it and does a better job than most films of its kind, or of any other kind.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A classic masterpiece with amazing screenplay
sebastiangylderud9 February 2018
This is one of the best movies I have seen, it delivers a truly captivating story with a mix of drama/crime and dark comedy, which Quentin Tarantino does beautifully. It's also one of the best movies that gives brilliant digressing and just a fantastic screenplay overall. I would truly consider this a classic, and it's a must see for any movie lover!
Coolest movie ever!
margad11209 February 2018
I cannot say that this was the greatest movie I have seen, however I am 100% sure that Pulp Fiction has to be the coolest movie I have ever seen. The cinematography, the background music, the dialogue and the story line, everything was so addictive and perfectly integrated.
Timeless Style
kmancrazy8 February 2018
Pulp Fiction's mise en scene weaves uber-classical Big Hollywood set design with lackadaisical realism. Jack Rabbit Slim's, the retro diner with the $5 milkshakes, is an ode to the grandiose production quality of older films that treated the screen as a stage. Tarantino seems to purposefully date his film by basking in the old rules of cinema. Film noir, for example, makes an appearance when Butch is in the backseat of a taxi after unintentionally killing his boxing opponent. Everything from the smoking cigar in his teeth, to his stiffly squinted eyes, to the directionally shaded light, screams of the archetypal crime drama. Yet there are these deeply personal sequences in which the camera takes on an amatuer role. As Butch limps away from Wallace, we follow him through a handheld, shaky frame that seems to trip and fall each time one of them does. It harkens back to Tarantino's early original, My Best Friend's Birthday, in the way it is juvenile yet action-seeking. Nonetheless, it's interesting. And there's something about its craft that manages to drag you into a world that is totally over-the-top. A large part of what is so captivating about this film is its sense of a closed frame. Tarantino is gratuitous with the facial close-up, drawing out sweat like a stroke of a paintbrush and allowing us intimate views of each character's scars (both literally and symbolically). While Butch converses with Wallace toward the beginning of the movie, we see him trapped in the frame behind the shoulder of a man who has been beat and will always recover, as indicated by the Band-Aid on the back of his head. This film is, after all, a character piece first and an action film second. Every character has to watch their back in some way, like Butch in his claustrophobic hotel room and the poor soul that Samuel L Jackson puts a startling end to. Tarantino doesn't do anything particularly "new-age" with his directing, instead paying homage to the techniques of classic samurai films and the like. The moment the adrenaline needle plunges into Mia's heart with a pop, the camera jolts to her wide eyes and then cuts back to a neutral shot as she awakens in a frenzy. It's reminiscent of a sequence in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho from 1960, following the simple pattern of an attack, the victim's facial surprise, and then the ensuing reaction. In this sense, Pulp Fiction achieves the perfect balance of extending on, but not copying, the greatest techniques in the history of cinema. Yet, with the film's style made timeless by all these technical approaches, there are some uses of the medium that transform the viewing experience. As Butch dances stealthily back to his apartment to retrieve his father's precious watch, the camera floats inexplicably behind him, appearing to pass straight through a fence. It's an impossible view that gives us an omniscient perspective of the impending danger. Or consider the extreme low-angles we get from the trunk of Vincent Vega's car or during his cocaine purchase -- the frame is placed in a location that evokes the feeling of watching secretly from a hidden spot. We are seeing something we're not supposed to see. This angle isn't used in the typical context to give an actor ominous power, and this is how the film gets its unique tone from sort of shrugging off the savage nature of the character duo. Pulp Fiction shows that Tarantino is best at creating situations. The camera is merely pointed where to look, occasionally hesitating on a mesmerizing visual element to enhance the aesthetic of the situation. It is unconventional in that it leans into the realist components of the lives of screen villains, and that is why its combination of classic tricks with personal style is ultimately cohesive. Although the film appears to be a product of the story, a consistent dedication to style is the key to Tarantino's creation of a captivating, fresh bit of cinema.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why Do People Love This Movie?
momosity7 February 2018
It's shocking for the sake of shock value. There are some truly talented actors here, but it's not worth all the gratuitous violence. My favorite movie is "The Cabin in the Woods", which a lot of people hate, but at least I know why I hate this movie. Plus the ending was lame. Tarantino needs to go back to film school and the "industry" needs to pay attention to truly talented writers and directors.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing
chappiek4 February 2018
Cant believe i haven't seen this title for all these years.
Long awaited
bad_boy-593 February 2018
Sometimes I miss the movie and continually watch again.
A Masterpiece
alannasteinberg31 January 2018
Great Movie can watch it again and again.Acting done by samuel jackson and john travolta is great .Their acting add a great humour to the scenes.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my favourite movies
sihamyahya-8949328 January 2018
Can't get sick of watching this movie! The acting is absolutely incredible and the script is so well written. It's funny, it's emotional, it's a thriller - all in one. LOVE IT!
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
baraban-7307827 January 2018
Noicefffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
great!!!!!!
guccdiamonds25 January 2018
To begin, I LOVED THIS MOVIE. I don't know if it was the adult themed story, the classic lines that you could find yourself repeating as if it was a cult classic, or the simplistic nature of the story, but I simply fell in love with this wacky piece of cinema. SpongeBob is not your typical hero, and his friend Patrick, doesn't seem to fit the mold of your typical "best-friend role". I found myself laughing at this film because of the messages that it taught and how I guy like me, stuck in the retail world, could easily identify with the trauma that SpongeBob was experiencing. Also, this film was flat out hysterical. I wasn't expecting anything except for kids humor when I first watched it, but after the final credits rolled I was impressed by how adult oriented the humor truly was. The comic timing was perfect, the music resonated perfectly in my ear, and I can honestly say that from the opening pirate credits to the final jump in the air, this film was the rawest form of cinematic perfection and the BEST film I have seen this 2005 year (so far).

I know you are probably thinking, "Andy, you watch a lot of movies, why did you like this one so much?" and I really don't have a straightforward answer to that question. Perhaps it is the repetitive nature of the films that I am currently watching that had me running towards the arms of this SpongeBob movie, or maybe because comedies are not quite the caliber of humor as they once were (resorting to restroom humor and sex instead of actual "funny" comedy), or maybe it was because it told a story that I could relate to, but whatever the case may be this film ranks among the best. I have seen this movie about 20+ times already and cannot wait to see it again. It is one of those films where I catch something new each time, I still laugh at most of the scenes (the bar scene is my personal favorite), and I get that aura of excitement every time I place the DVD in the player. This film is like my unquenchable drug of choice.

SpongeBob is one of those heroes that I can, and I think most in the retail/working sector of the world, relate to. He works hard, he wants promotion, and continues to live his life as his heart allows like a kid. Isn't that what we all desire? I know that is a crucial element to my life to ensure that I stay true to those and myself around me. Also, it has always been a dream of mine to have a seaweed mustache, and this film promotes the use of this green apparatus. I don't want to sound repetitive, but I cannot wait to add this film to my DVD collection. It provided, and still provides, at least an hour and a half of pure, uncut, humor that will leave some great songs in your mind and this new found respect in your heart. Who hasn't walked into your office one day just singing, "I'm ready, promotion. I'm ready, promotion". Or better yet, ended the day singing, "I'm ready, depression. I'm ready, depression." HA, this has me nearly falling out of my seat as I type this now.

The heart, humor, and childlike feeling for this hero will have children falling over to see this film (though where I work most children are not huge fans of this film they say that television program is better), and if it is watched by an embarrassed adult, you will be surprised on how much you could probably relate to this film. We are all "goofy goobers" inside, and sometimes it takes a film such as this to pull it out of us. We all wish that we could break out into song whenever possible or even spend an evening at a bar enjoying round after round of ice cream treats.

Overall, I loved this movie. Well, actually, I more than loved it, I thought it was one of the best films that I have seen this year. So many times we watch movies that get too caught up in themselves. They are too serious or too violent or too goofy for what they set out to be, and it was an honest delight to finally find something that was just what it was. SpongeBob is my new hero and I have already found myself watching the television programs whenever possible. You have a new fan SpongeBob I hope that you will always remain the "goofy goober" that I fell in love with!!
well
voknirakku23 January 2018
Very very very very very very very very very nice.
Quentin Tarantino at his best
sulabh423 January 2018
Great Movie. Quentin Tarantino is back at it again with this great movie, maybe his masterpiece. 3 different stories but still managed to hook us into his cinematic world.
ekleciact22 January 2018
Too Good121rqwfeqeqeqgeqophoifh[eipgjew[pgjer[gig[odwknvds;lkvnporwjbneprvnw[ovmnsd;vldsknv;lskenw[oerjnbw[rubw[gubewndslkvnodvnweivnw[ovinwdvnjds;lvnsvjnweobw[eouvb
This movie was dumb
BeastMovieAddict22 January 2018
I came into this movie hearing it was amazing and truly a classic. But when I watched it I was extremely confused on why people liked it there was barely any story and was boring with 1 joke that I didn't even catch when someone pointed it out it was unamusing and was a waist of time.
Awesome, wild movie
chryloew21 January 2018
This movie is iconic and rightly considered as one of Tarantino's greatest works.

I don't know of any other movie that really nails the pulp genre this good.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Of The Best Movies In History, Easily.
pachys20 January 2018
Where can I start? This movie is simply amazing and will forever be one of the greatest movies of all time. Let's start with the genius of the GREAT Quentin Tarantino, who in his second movie (Pulp Fiction), solidified himself as one of the greatest directors, winning an Oscar for best screenplay for Pulp Fiction, and the movie winning the most prestigious award in film, the Palme D'or at the 1994 Cannes Film Festival in France.

One of the reasons for why this movie is so good is because of Quentin's use of nonlinear storylines in this film. It's so unique how Quentin put events in different order and it was so fun to watch, He did it in a way that you wouldn't be confused as well, you would be surprised and then you would find out the true order of the film when you continue to watch it.

The cast and the acting, oh my goodness it's amazing. This is another reason for why the movie is so good. Quentin Tarantino revitalized John Trovolta's career by placing him in the role of Vincent Vega, one of the mobsters in the film, and he does not let us down. He plays the role so perfect that it became the best acting performace of his life. We all know Samuel L. Jackson now, super famous and great actor, but before Pulp Fiction no one knew him. Quentin Tarantino not only revitalized John Travolta's career with Pulp Fiction but he gave Samuel L.Jackson a chance and introduced us to an amazing actor and it was legendary. Jules Winnfield, the other mobster in the movie, who Samuel L. Jackson plays, is nothing short of a spectacular character who is funny and a bad-ass at the same time and Sam plays him perfectly. The cast only gets better with Quentin bringing Tim Roth back, who was a major character in Quentin's first film Resovoir Dogs and giving Bruce Willis, who was achieving a ton of success from the hit "Die Hard", a major role. Bruce Willis plays the boxer Butch who is facing decline in the ring because of age. Like Samuel and John, Bruce plays Butch so good that I can't picture another actor playing him. Bruce is strong and bald as well and was more than capable of having that type of boxer swagger and meaness to him while acting and that is what made him the best choice to play the boxer Butch. Like Samuel L. Jackson, Quentin made another person famous, this time an actress, the great Uma Thurman, who plays The Bride in Quentin's movie series called "Kill Bill". In Pulp Fiction Uma plays the sexy Mia Wallace, who is the wife of Marsellus Wallace, the Mob leader. Uma plays her really well and put her name with some of the best in the movie industry.

In the end, this film's story, screenplay, directing and cast are so amazing that it made it into a classic. It's hands down one of the best crime movies of all time, as well, with it's violence, humor as well and Tarantino's key to directing... the art of the unexpected. Watch this movie, it doesn't know how to dissapoint.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure and Simple....... 'Entertainment'
Mal Walker20 January 2018
Movies don't have to have a 'Breathless Message' for the ages. Movies don't have to follow any pattern or pre-determined plan. Movies are not a mirror of real life or subliminal religious afterthought. Movies. like Fiction found in Books. are just for ENTERTAINMENT!...... Most people live a fairly orderly life, working, bringing up a family, putting up with illnesses, normal family problems, financial constraints etc. the Movies are the ordinary persons chance to float off into a make-believe world for a little while and be a part of something magical called pictured-imagination. Pulp Fiction is a movie that entertains, it throws in the mix ideas and situations that are far away from the normal life of the population, then it stirs them all together and into this maelstrom of situations we leave the present behind and for a little while we are 'Entertained'........ in that, this movie succeeds!
Overrated
simranaujla19 January 2018
I'm a sixteen year old and this movie made me realise that I actually hate 90s movies. The camera angles kill me, the dialogue murders me and the plot is just stupid. It's so boring it's unreal and so unrealistic, but everyone hypes it up cause of Uma Thurman and John Travolta. Baring in mind, didn't particularly like Grease or Ferris Bueller's Day Off either. I think I just hate this kind of genre.
Mukemmel
randycrow16 January 2018
Tarantino ile tanistigim film. Mukkemmel bir klasik
One of the best films
andygarpio14 January 2018
This is one of the best movies I've seen because of the way it's related. I liked the movie too much because of the non-linear plot, and then you see scenes from the past that explain why some things are happening. I liked that the frames were too close to the character. And the dialogues, which perhaps do not contribute much to the story, but which are undoubtedly part of it and add naturalness to the characters and the film.
Briliant
sbartesc12 January 2018
Fantastic film. Changed the view on violence in films for a whole generation.
Love it
luismontante9 January 2018
Is one of my fav movies. I love to see it, I literally see a lot.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I recently watched this movie again which brings my rating much higher.
dmfox776 January 2018
The movie is shot in a kind of choppy method and I really don't like that kind of direction but all in all it's actually not too bad of a film. The scenes are not done from start to finish style like most movies are shot which is what I usually prefer but it is a bit refreshing to see a movie shot in different time sequences meaning some of the scenes later in the movie are what happened before in the story line, you may need to see this film two or three times to understand it all but it was a fairly good movie. I think Quentin Tarantino is a bit over raved about, he's a decent story writer and director but from my experience not all that glitters is gold.