IMDb > A Place for Annie (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Place for Annie (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Sensitive and Touching Story That Will Tug At Your Heart!

Author: Steve Richmond (sfwr@earthlink.net) from Brea, Ca. USA
30 May 1999

A Place For Annie is one of those special films that takes a very sensitive subject like AIDS and does justice too it. Absolutely outstanding performances by Sissy Spacek, Mary-Louise Parker, Joan Plowright and Jack Noeworthy. Annie is a baby with the AIDS virus who is sent to a local hospital in which Sissy Spacek works as an RN. When the child is going to be sent off to die elsewhere, she decides to care for Annie herself, with the help of Joan Plowright's character. The mother of the child, now clean for 6 months, decides to come after the child. A powerful story of love.

Get out your tissue boxes

Author: mrobbins from Australia
19 January 2003

First of all I was quite intrigued to see that at least 2 of the 3 comments submitted so far (the other a nom-de-plume) were from men. Good to see that such a wonderful film as this is being seen by an audience that might not have been the target one, as this would be considered a woman's picture in old Hollywood.

Unashamedly a tearjerker, anybody that is a loving parent or has any affinity with children will be well advised to have the tissues handy. Men not quite as in touch with their emotions in public might actually wish to watch this alone. From about 10 minutes in when I saw all the unwanted babies in the hospital I could not control my tears flowing relentlessly, whether they were tears of sadness or of joy (yes there are some wonderful joyful moments but I won't say when and spoil it)

Undoubtedly a great showcase for actors, the four leads are about as perfect as one could want. Like another reviewer, I was amazed at the performances of Parker and Noseworthy, mainly because Spacek and to an only slightly lesser degree Plowright, are renowned for their work and have the accolades and awards to show for it. But the formerly lightweight teen actress and the unknown youngster more than hold their own against the formidable twosome.

The writing and performances masterfully achieve it's desired aim, to entertain (if that's the word) and inform without unneccessary grandstanding. Yes the son does seem a little too good to be true, but there are such species still left in this world, and anyway his character is not perfect and still has his teeneage insecurities and traumas.

All in all, not to be missed and reaffirmation of the human spirit

Very touching...

Author: shrine-2
11 January 2000

After "Our Sons" with Julie Andrews and Ann-Margret, this is my favorite AIDS movie. There's no need to lavish praise on an actress like Sissy Spacek; her gift is evident as soon as she enters a scene. Spacek uses her customary savvy and elan as Susan Lansing, a nurse who falls in love with and takes in an AIDS-afflicted infant whose mother has abandoned her. The nurse sets up her home with a nanny and her own son as standby only to have the mother return and reclaim her child. Her name is Linda, a bitter, spent drug addict, and she manages to make everyone in the Lansing household ill at ease, threatening to take her baby away. She is, of course, not in any position to care for her child, and Susan, realizing this, begs her to stay. An uneasy truce develops between all concerned for the baby Annie, and it is here that the movie moves us through Linda's disappointments and despair, and the only vestige of hope she has been handed--that Annie will not be touched by disease and have a mother like Susan to raise her.

Lightweight is the way I would describe Mary-Louise Parker's past work; I cannot remember any performance prior to this that was this vivid. She plays Linda like a wounded dog whose howl catches in her throat when she wants to cry. She's defensive and hostile, but her most touching moments are painfully stifled. Parker's presence runs dark and deep; she makes sure the undertow of Linda's grief lurks beneath every frame.

With Joan Plowright as the nanny, and Jack Noseworthy as Susan's son, David. Would that more parents had children like him?

An excellent tearjerker!

Author: vinster-5 from Seattle, WA
4 July 1999

I was sitting at home last Saturday, bored to tears, turned on the t.v. and for the next two hours sat entranced by this powerful and moving film that really did justice to the HIV-babies and their mothers that we hear so much about.

Top-billed Spacek and Mary Louise-Parker really shine in this film...Parker (who has full blown AIDS) comes back to reclaim Annie, her child, who she was forced to give up when the baby was six months old. Spacek adopted Annie and the film shows the tensions and struggle that the two ladies go through to see eye to eye in the care of Annie. The end may surprise a few people; the entire film is top-notch!

giving life and giving death

Author: Steve Skafte from Nova Scotia, Canada
3 September 2010

I grew up watching films produced by the Hallmark Hall of Fame. Their quality was often varying, but the general approach allowed for a certain dedication to storytelling. This is one such example. It's a straightforward story on the surface, something that could have easily been produced as a cheap, tear-jerking, disease-of-the-week movie. It's not as though this type of story is inherently cheap or meaningless, it's just that the potential for overwrought melodrama is only too often realized.

Here, the actors prevent that from happening. Sissy Spacek, Mary-Louise Parker, and S. Epatha Merkerson (three of my favorite actresses) perform with a level of real conversational interaction that I really appreciate. I must state, emphatically, that the script offers no individual brilliance whatsoever. This is a slice-of-life type story, one that is held together by performances and the direction of John Gray. I felt like I was watching real lives here, and maybe I was. In so much as film can ever be real, "A Place for Annie" is.

One of the Best Films in History Which is Unknown.

Author: frederyknam from Seoul, South Korea
15 July 2016

Directing, editing, performance, music, adaption, message, everything is good.

This movie should have won best film and performance from Sissy Spacek and Mary-Louise Parker who are superb.

I almost watched this like 30 times, and every time I shed tears, this is first movie to make me that.

Sissy Spacek is always good in every single movie. Mary-Louise Parker should have recognized much earlier, as her fan, she always does her best even in nobody-knows movies.

More people should watch this. This is just a MUST-SEE.

Flawed but watchable.

Author: scrapture from United States
3 January 2006

Sissy Spacek is way too righteous, and Mary Louise Parker too much a snot. What saves this movie is Joan Plowright, and Jack Noseworthy playing normal people, and they do it well. Susan Lansing is a single mother who was thrown out of her family when she became pregnant at 16. Years later she supervises a neonatal unit, and becomes outraged at the benign neglect given to aids babys. She nurtures, fosters, and want's to adopt Annie. Annie's mom, meanwhile has gotten sober and is looking for some redemption. Much follows as the two fight over the child, but the best reason to watch this move is the scene the morning after Linda almost burns down Susans house. Jack Noseworthy and Joan Plowright drive the scene, and it's the best in this movie.

Another bad social-conscience movie

Author: dell_of_dreams from Australia
6 April 2003

Yes that is basically what this movie is whether you liked the film or not.

I personally did not.

I found it to be patronizing, overly technical and just so damn sappy the important message of the film was almost (but not entirely) drowned under the thick treacle coating and so-so acting.

Why such a brilliant actress like Sissy Spacek continues to make films like this is beyond me, apart that important little word beginning with M (money if you're wondering).

By watching this film you get the idea that it is there to not just educate and make people aware of the situation regarding HIV babies, but to draw it out into a long and almost boring sermon.

Though I do understand and appreciate the fact that this film is appealing to quite alot of viewers, I can only give my opinion by stamping it "BAD".

Another Sad HIV flick

Author: FrozenDreamer from Sunny London
17 August 2003

Yes ladies, Gentleman and gracious people inbetween... this is another film to throw the whole HIV thing in our faces. It's inevitable really... they'll keep on playing the story out until they find a cure... and then when they do find a cure, there'll be a flood of sequels! Sissy plays mom... and Sissy plays mom well... but that's about it really. It's made for TV gumf... so if you like this kind of thing, then you'll like it. You sad git.

I had a better time watching the dust settle on the top of my TV. AVOID.

2 flaps out of 10 (and that's just because I'm in a good mood)