IMDb > The Paper (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

The Paper Delivers!

Author: jonathon_naylor from Manitoba, Canada
15 November 2006

A funny, fast-paced and fascinating film, THE PAPER delivers. Michael Keaton is remarkable as Henry Hackett, a newspaper editor torn between the two loves of his life: his exhausting job and his long-suffering (and pregnant) wife. This juggling act plays itself out during one particularly frenzied day in which Hackett must weigh a better job offer while trying to outscoop his deep-pocketed competitors on a murder story.

It's a cliché to say so, but there's never a dull moment in THE PAPER. The multi-faceted storyline sucks the viewer in and doesn't let go until after the exciting, root-on-the-good-guys finale. An interesting film could have been made about any one of the angles explored here, be it the incredibly hectic behind-the-scenes workings of a major daily, the personal toll such an operation takes on its employees, or the media's tendency to oversimplify. To combine these into one film results in an infinitely mesmerizing piece of work. And let's not forget Ron Howard's direction, which is smooth and virtually flawless. The writing is equally brilliant. Whatever reaction the film tries to inflict -- laughter, excitement, surprise -- it inevitably succeeds.

The performances in THE PAPER deserve special mention. Everyone is so well cast that it's impossible to picture anyone else in these roles. Keaton has never been better in a starring role that is tailor-made to his comedic and dramatic abilities. Robert Duvall is on top of his game as the publisher whose job has cost him so much in other areas of his life. Marisa Tomei, as Mrs. Hackett, proves MY COUSIN VINNY was no fluke. (The scene where she glares at her husband in disbelief as he tells her he has to miss an important dinner with her parents is absolutely priceless). Randy Quaid is as quirky as can be as the paper's resident columnist. And although his appearances are brief, the late Spalding Gray is unforgettable as the head of a rival paper. This group of actors may very well comprise one of the most talented ensembles of the 1990s.

It's a shame THE PAPER has never received the attention it deserved. Had it been released 50 years ago, in a less cluttered era, it would most certainly be widely hailed as a classic today.

Why can't I stop watching this?

Author: stevendocherty from United Kingdom
3 August 2007

I usually find Ron Howard's work a tad self-indulgent - you only have to watch Apollo 13 to know what I mean. However, with this, Ron really delivers a fully watchable film.

There are classic comedy moments - the Glenn Close "I light a cigarette..." line is just brilliant - while also providing true pathos with an excellent performance from Marissa Tomei (a disappointingly under-rated actress in anything she is in - witness her performance in Mel Gibson's otherwise rubbish "Whast Women Want").

I saw this in the cinema, and own it on DVD - it features in my regular rotation, and it doesn't matter how many times I watch it, it is still good viewing. A sign of a classic film is how often one can view it without finding scope for criticism - nothing yet!

A 90s Sleeper: intelligent humor, A-list cast, don't miss it

Author: windsong353 from United States
28 April 2009

I loved this movie...a real 90s sleeper. It's hard to determine why some films don't get the attention they deserve. The Paper is delightfully acted by an A-list ensemble in their prime. It's hilariously funny, with great timing and pace, and some poignant overtones on commitment, loyalty, family, friendship, work and the workplace, and big city journalism.

Feel-good and sardonic at the same time, I did NOT find it completely predictable. The screenplay is terrific, with thoughtful, intelligent, brisk dialog. Not a dull moment; completely entertaining. A film for "grown-ups". More kudos to Ron Howard.

Renting it just to watch the superb Glen Close's character, especially in the "stop the presses" scene, is worth the time/money alone. A charming Marisa Tomei perfectly cast. Robert Duvall, Jason Alexander, Jason Robards, and of course Michael Keaton...what's not to like? One of those films that can be watched many times by men and women alike. Highly recommended.

Frenzy!!!

Author: couching_tiger_eatin_popcorn from San Diego, CA
18 August 2007

I have never liked Ron Howard films until now. I was shocked to learn that this was his work. I find them rather boring and lifeless, dry and without a personal stake in the story and its characters. The literalness in his shots and film structure is cumbersome in his dramatic works, but in a comedy like this, it works--it emboldens and accentuates the humor, rather than making the film boring to watch.

This film captured the chaotic energy of the newsroom floor and got me swept up in it. The ending had me cheering and laughing along with the characters. The film felt very personal, and it was easy to tell that a lot of love went into the production. The script was amazing, and the acting, superb.

Yes, the plot is contrived. But that's not the reason for the storytelling in this film. The story is about its characters. Every character is incredibly well-drawn and each actor is very much immersed and invested in their characters. Seeing the characters react and interact brought huge involuntary smiles to my face. The characters came alive, and as a result, the story made sense! What an awesome ensemble cast. It's my favorite so far in film. They make it evident that the paper is a force in itself, an idea, that drives these characters and consumes their lives. I think the film offers a view into the lives of these people--from their point of view.

Ahhhh!!!!

" We Never Knowingly got a Story Wrong, until tonight, that's what Henry Meant "

Author: thinker1691 from USA
25 May 2009

There are not too many solid Newspaper stories which ever make it to the silver Screen. Occasionally one does comes along and if it's message is important with respect towards the audience, it deserves attention. Such a movie is, " The Paper ". The star of the movie is Michael Keaton who plays Henry Hackett a city editor who's boss is Bernie White played by noted actor Robert Duvall. Jason Robards is the Publisher, Graham Keighley. Their newspaper is about to print a story about a local derailment, when a small item arrest in Williamsburg NY, inspires Hackett to risk his position and a promotion with 'The Sentinal'' a prestigious uptown Newspaper. There are a number of hurtles to following up on the Williamsburg murder of three prominent bankers who lost several million dollars of the Mafia's money, primary of which is Alicia Clark (Glenn Close) an envious supervisor who is more interested in saving money than the reputations of two black youths. She explains that without more information on the dead men, additional corroboration or a quote by the tight-lipped police, she is running the subway derailment story. Confident he is right, Hackett pulls out all the stops to beat a four hour deadline, attend his wife's (Marisa Tomei) social life, protect his top reporter (Randy Quaid) from a gun-toting parking official (Jason Alexander) and file the story by press time. The movie possess all the exciting impetus of a modern front page story including the daily problems confronting the staff and the personal lives of all concern. The film is powerful in it's direction and will in time be seen as a Journalistic Classic. Easilly recommended for all. ****

The paper does deliver

Author: jefonline from Canada
26 November 2007

Kudos to my fellow Canadian from Manitoba who got it dead on! This is one of those movies that can should be played during college and university recruiting presentations. Being a newspaper journalist myself, this one kept me up until 2 or 2 in the am on a Sunday night. It was that good. The end of the movie makes it all worthwhile. I am surprised I had never heard of this movie until the day I saw it. Mchael Keaton, Glenn Close and Randy Quaid were excellent and this movie gives you a very good look at what it's like to be working in the newspaper business, with deadlines, dealing with superiors and the things you have to go through sometimes in order to get the job done. I guess it's a little late to be wondering about a sequel to this one but hopefully another director can take a stab at creating what this one just did.

A Slick but Superficial Comedy Drama with an Impressive All-Star Cast

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
8 June 2007

THE PAPER was a glossy but substance-challenged comedy drama that is supposed to provide an incisive look into the daily running of a large metropolitan newspaper. Michael Keaton stars as Henry Hackett, a maverick reporter trying to get the facts accurate on the biggest story of the decade while simultaneously chasing down a better job at another paper. The impressive supporting cast includes Glenn Close, Robert Duvall, Marisa Tomei, Randy Quaid, Jason Alexander, Catherine O'Hara, Spalding Gray, Lynne Thigpen, and a classy cameo by Jason Robards as the paper's publisher. No, there's not a lot going on here, but the all-star cast makes it worth a peek.

stop/start the presses

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
31 August 2006

"The Paper" does seem slightly more serious and less sentimental than most of Ron Howard's movies. Focusing on an overworked reporter (Michael Keaton) getting torn between a big story and his wife (Marisa Tomei), it's worth seeing. I wonder how many movies there can be about someone getting between his family and his job, but combining that with something about the media - specifically a newspaper - makes it a little bit more interesting. In my opinion, the most interesting character was Glenn Close's incarnation of the bitchy executive (there always has to be one of those, doesn't there?) preferring to stick with policy rather than investigate the story seriously; you're not sure whether she makes your skin crawl or whether she's kinda likable.

So, this isn't the greatest movie ever - certainly not the best movie focusing on the media - but worth seeing as a look into situations slowly but surely spinning out of control. Also starring Robert Duvall, Randy Quaid, Jason Alexander and Clint Howard.

Ron Howard triumphs again!

Author: JohnHowardReid
18 February 2014

I was disappointed in Ron Howard's 2006 "The Da Vinci Code", but "The Paper" is everything the overblown "Da Vinci Code" is not, namely exciting and suspenseful with well-rounded but solidly interesting and highly believable characters, plus lots of quite breathtakingly imaginative use of real locations. Despite Howard's equally adroit use of actual city streets and buildings in "Da Vinci", the over-all effect was boring rather thrilling, ho-hum rather than "Wow! Let's see that scene again!" Of course, "The Paper" is more down to earth. Its plot and characters are far more convincingly realistic – and the players really do them justice. Even minor roles – such as Spalding Gray's "Paul Bladden" and Jason Robards's "Graham Keighley" – are so cleverly integrated into the plot that they hold the viewer spellbound and keep him or her – especially him – asking for more. As the hero, Michael Keaton, does a really first-class job and keeps the viewer rooting for the character even when he over-steps the mark by his verbal badgering of the other characters and even his out-and-out stealing. Fortunately, the screen writing Koepps provide him with an important principal – "As far as I'm aware, the paper has never ever gone to press with a front-page story which we knew was wrong!" – and the Keaton character's adherence to this principle tips the scales in his favor when Alicia Clark (superbly enacted by Glenn Close) decides against halting the print run and Keaton's Henry Hackett sets out to attack her both physically and verbally. Yes, it may be a bit over the top – I haven't even mentioned another ten or twenty gripping incidents – but "The Paper" is so fast-paced, so enthrallingly plotted, so charismatically directed and so brilliantly enacted by the entire cast – there's no time to stop and think that maybe all these wild incidents strain credulity just a little, here and there! Available on a really excellent Universal DVD.

Excellent Slice of NYC Life

Author: jaylandry from United States
15 December 2013

The cast is first rate, the story engaging and it doesn't drag that much. It almost knows when to give you a break to catch up.

Without repaving covered ground. it is a great movie to pop in and enjoy. Only a few characters are one dimensional. Howard and the writers give almost every character some depth.

The subplots are given just enough space, most are resolved, but they get you to the end without being too disappointed when a couple are not.. This movie felt that it could be staged for a sequel, but it stands on its own nicely.

I like any movie that gets the mythology right. This movie does, right from the start.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]