IMDb > No Contest (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
No Contest

No Contest More at IMDbPro »

Welcome to the 90's: The direct-to-video-movie!

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
31 August 2005

No Contest (1994) was a strange brew of a movie. This film starred the likes of Shannon Tweed, Andrew "Dice" Clay, Roddy Piper and Robert Davi. This film was a total cheese fest from the beginning until the end. A DIE-HARD rip-off that totally succeeds on it's own. Andrew "Dice" Clay stars as a desperate man who's henchmen (including his right-hand man Roddy Piper) storm a high ride building and holds it's occupants hostage. Shannon Tweed co-stars as a woman who launches her own rescue team from the inside. Her outside contact is a crippled Robert Davi.

Mnay questions are raised in this film. Why does the "Dice Man" go to such a great length to hold these people hostage? Will the local authorities save the day? Can Ms. Tweed kick butt and takes names? How does Robert Davi figure into the flow of the movie? Does Roddy Piper get to show off his nut-case side again? To find out the answers to these questions you'll have to watch NO CONTEST.

Not bad for a direct-to-video-film. I found this movie to be highly entertaining and dismissed for no apparent reason. People please remember it's supposed to be bad and these actors don't take themselves seriously at all.

Highly recommended.

Garbage, but at least it's spiced-up garbage

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
15 March 2011

Disclaimer for avid Shannon Tweed fans: there's no nudity whatsoever in this movie. That could be surprising to some, but as I always say: guess there's a first time for everything. This isn't really the kind of sleazy soft-core flick Tweed is usually known for either, it's more of a sleazy dumb action flick. I'll never go as far as calling this screenplay unsubtle, but at one point Tweed's character is described as "Bruce Lee with boobs". Just saying. The whole thing is entertaining enough though, mainly because of the bizarre choice of co-stars. Rowdy Roddy Piper and Andrew Dice Clay, who the hell did the casting on this one? Whoever it was, he or she rules the Earth. The action scenes look pretty good too by the way, Bruce Lee with boobs kicks some serious ass at some point. This movie actually looks like it was meant to be as generic and cheap as possible, but luckily there's too much coolness in it to make that happen.

By straight-to-video standards, this is above average.

Author: gridoon
18 September 2001

Shannon Tweed's first attempt to change her image and become an action heroine is also one of her best films. To be more accurate, it's the best of the three or four films that I've seen her in so far. It's nothing more than a "Die Hard" clone, and Robert Davi is wasted, but the pacing never lags, the direction has energy and Tweed is fairly convincing as a kick-boxer. (**1/2)

Tweed provides the kick.. Clay provides the ham

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
5 April 2004

******SPOILERS****** Andew Dice Clay, Brice, is far more funnier trying to be an over the top evil villain in "No Contest" then in any of the stand up comedy acts that he does on stage and on cable TV in this laughable action drama. The film is about Brice and his cohorts taking over a beauty contest, the Galaxy, and holding the six finalists as well as the host and former Galaxy contest winner Sharon Bell, Shannon Tweed, hostage. In order to let them go Brice wants a ransom of ten million dollars in diamonds.

Brice rewards the Galaxy contest winner Miss France, Julie Armstrong, with a bullet in the head just as the shocked crowd was expecting him to crown her. Brice and his gang then effectively wiped out the security guards as well as the TV crew who were broadcasting the event on live TV.

A sub-plot soon develops about this whole crazy venture when it's revealed that one of the finalists Miss USA Candy Wilson, Polly Shannon, is the daughter of US Senator Donald Wilson, John Colicos. we are told that Wilson was involved with Brice in a Columbian drug ring and that he had Brice double-crossed and thought that he was killed by the drug dealers. Somehow Brice managed to survived and is now back for revenge. There is also another sub-plot involving one of the finalists Miss Germany, Chandra West, also being in on the hostage taking as well as being Brice's girlfriend.

The gang that Brice has in this adventure is one of the biggest bunch of mixed nuts ever put together in crime movie history with the overly macho Victor, Nicholas Campball, and obnoxious former professional wrestler Roddy Piper, Ice. Ice was so unintentionally funny that he spoiled the little tension that was still left in the movie when he tried to be bad and evil. Instead Ice came across like a cross between the Honeymooners Jacky Gleason and Saturday Night Lives Chevy Chase slipping and falling all over the place.

Even though Robert Davi,Sgt. Crane, is the top star in the movie he was completely overshadowed by the very physical and free-swinging and kicking Shannon Tweed who did all the work dispatching the gang of kidnappers. Davi just limped, he was a disabled Secret Service Agent in the film, along for the ride.

The movie moved toward it's inevitable climax as Sharon almost single handedly kung-fu'ed the Brice gang out of the movie leaving just him left to have it out with her on an hotel elevator for the films dramatic ending. It was next to a miracle that Sharon was able to stand up by then after the pounding that she took, as well as gave, during the movie up to that point.

Shannon Tweed was very exciting and nice to watch in the action scenes as well as in the sexy clothes that she wore. She in fact never took her clothes off during in the movie. Andrew Dice Clay showed what a "Ham Actor" he really is if he was just given the chance like the movie "No Contest" gave him. Robert Davi was the invisible man by going through the entire movie almost unnoticed and the girls held hostage were anything but sympathetic with their unconvincing acting. showing almost no fear at all of their captors, no matter how hard they tried.

The character who I think was the real villain and most believable person in the film was Senator Wilson, John Colicos. Senator Wilson showed what we see in the news every day that if your in power and keep getting re-elected you can get away with anything even murder.

This was kind of dope!

Author: subxerogravity from United States
10 October 2015

At first I was surprise that I never saw this Shannon Tweed flick during the Skinemax days, than I realized that there's no nudity in it. My lost, as the movie was entertaining to watch.

It's Die Hard at a beauty pageant as Shannon Tweed plays an once popular action star hosting the Ms. Galaxy pageant when a crew of kidnappers take the place hostage.

I've seen Shannon Tweed do a few kicks in her movies before, but she goes all out in this one trying to be Dolph Lundgren only with smaller boobs. She kicks some ass, she fires the gun and she goes after the bad guy. However you feel about female action stars (I'm definitely all for it), I thought the movie did a spectacular job with it and it was nothing but fun to watch.

Another highlight of the flick was Andrew Dice Clay who lead the kidnappers. It's like he took the clichés of all best movie villains and rolled it into one. He was the ultimate bad ass and the ultimate parody all at the same time, and it just put a huge grin on my face watching him.

It's a low budget b-action flick plan and simple, and it works for your amusement. You can catch the film on you tube like I did.

Could have been great trash

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
7 July 1999

Shannon Tweed as a heroine? Andrew Dice Clay and Roddy Piper as bad guys? All three in a DIE HARD rip-off taking place at a beauty pagent? Hey, this isn't going to be a masterpiece, but it sounds like it would be great fun as a trashy movie!

I said "sounds like". But I was sorely disappointed. Tweed doesn't get naked. The action scenes aren't that great. Clay and Piper aren't that campy, and don't seem to be that enthusiastic.

Not the worst DIE HARD rip-off out there. But _nowhere_ the great movie it could have been. I know the premise sounds great, especially with those actors, but trust me, it's disappointing.

I was surprised, but I kind of enjoyed this cheap Die Hard rip-off

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
9 August 2015

Cheap Die Hard knock-off that, honestly, isn't too bad. Former Playmate of the Year Shannon Tweed has the Bruce Willis role here as a beauty pageant host who is also a martial arts movie star. Andrew "Dice" Clay has the Hans Gruber role. The film makes great use of the fact that the audience already sees him as a gigantic a-hole. Clay raids a beauty pageant and takes several of the women, including Tweed, hostage. Tweed escapes and attempts to save the day. Robert Davi plays one of the contestant's bodyguards. He kind of has the Reginald VelJohnson role, but he also gets to take part in the action a little. The video cover doesn't even include Tweed but instead inserts Davi as the hero of the picture. Clay's group of freelance terrorists includes "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who gets beaten half to death by a bag of ice at one point. Not only that, but his character's name is Ice! The movie is corny as Hell, but I had plenty of fun with it.

Tweed and Dice, OH

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
6 May 2000

Andrew Dice Clay and Shannon Tweed star in this film that is a action film, but like dice's Ford Fairlane, is a funny film past all of it's action. Tweed and Dice make a good pair as the heroine and villain. Not exactly the best acting, and no nudity from Tweed made me feel bad, but what can you do. Because with dice (in a action film so bad it is a hilarious comedy) you can't loose. A-

Tweed and Clay...No Contest!

Author: Comeuppance Reviews from United States Minor Outlying Islands
12 May 2010

"No Contest" is a silly rip-off of "Die Hard".

The plot: Sharon Bell (Tweed) is hosting a beauty pageant when Oz (Clay) and his band of criminals take over the proceedings. Now it's up to Sharon to save the day! This movie is worth-watching for the unintentional comedy. The climax is hilarious! Dice and Tweed battle it out on a rooftop using martial arts. The sight of Clay doing roundhouse kicks and other similar moves is very amusing. Tweed also can't do karate and there's always a long shot instead of a closeup.

The acting by all is horrible, but it's not a big deal because you can't take this seriously.

If you've been asking yourself "Can Andrew "Dice" Clay perform martial arts?" Rest assured. This is the movie you've been waiting for! For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com

Andrew Dice Clay as the bad guy, Shannon Tweed as an action star

Author: oolatech2 from United States
6 August 2010

I personally thought Andrew Dice Clay made this film an 8 out of 10!!! I read the reviews and if I have to read another "sheep answer" of this film being a Die Hard ripoff I am going to scream!!!! First of all I didn't think it had anything to do with Die Hard. I saw the Die Hard films and enjoyed them very much. Bruce Willis proved he was a good actor. Dice proves that he is a very talented comedian that can act also. I felt Dice showed his diversity being the villain and in Making the Grade he incorporated his stand up and impressions in this role as well. I saw an interview with Dice and he told his fans his goal is to make you laugh till it hurts so you know you saw a comedian. I almost didn't recognize him in his disguise when I saw the movie on cable and tuned in late. I was amazed at how well he convinced me he was the villain. I found myself hoping he would get away. Unlike Brainsmasher or Ford Fairlane he played his part without being the main character. I thought Shannon Tweed should have stayed with romantic comedy or drama as she wasn't convincing as an action star. I loved her in Hot Dog the Movie and she is an extremely beautiful person. Roddy Piper is the type of character you either like or you don't and I for one appreciate the talent it took to be a pro wrestler and I always enjoy seeing him in film. "They Live" had the coolest ending though with bad one liners.

I am astounded with all the "rip-off" statements that reviewers post because there are few originals for all the re manufacturing of a concept that film makers use. If you are a fan of Andrew Dice Clay you will really enjoy this film as much as I did. If he would have gotten away with his crime that would have been a unique ending instead of the bad guy loosing in the end. Gee, there is a concept, a film that depicts life.

A quick note from the reviewer: A rip off is the same plot with a twist and I didn't see where the plots were simular at all. Where was the yipee kay aye (blankity blank) and cowboy heroism????