IMDb > Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

"Insult" me!

Author: Mister-6 from United States
17 May 2002

It's rare for a cop movie to combine elements from "The Untouchables", "Thelma & Louise" and "The Brady Bunch".

Unless, of course, the lead character has a tendency to run his car into parking meters.

"The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult" brings the lofty trilogy to a close with the same old cast (Kennedy, Simpson, Presley) and slapstick antics involving a prison breakout, terrorist plot and the Oscars. And there in the center is Lt. Frank Drebin (Nielsen) on the verge of retirement and fighting with bad guys, shopping carts and Weird Al Yankovic while trying convince lovely wife Jane (Presley) that the spark in their relationship is still there.

How can you talk down a movie like this; it's as useless as putting up a tent in a windstorm, so they say. You have to enjoy stupidity, one-liners, gags and visual puns, as created by the ZAZ boys (Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker) and delivered by a cast of pros (including Fred Ward and Pia Zadora!!), all with the tone of adolescence and insanity you've come to know and love.

And if you don't, why are you reading this?

Kudos go to Anna Nicole Smith, who makes her debut in movies here in a big way (sorry) and shows she is at her best when laughing at herself. Good job, Anna.

Favorite scene? I lost count after the first 10 minutes; it's an exercise in futility, every scene will make you chuckle, laugh, guffaw, roar and/or howl with delight. Besides, why spoil the fun?

And as for Nielsen...as always, he is THE MAN! Even when throwing up in a tuba.

Ten stars for a great "Final" trip down into Dumbville. And one star more for the very last scene - classic!

Thanks, Frank.

An appropriately funny and silly conclusion to the police squad spoof series

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
26 August 2004

Retirement has not been good for Frank Drebin. His marriage is on the rocks and he feels emasculated as he no longer has the power of the law or the ability to shot bad guys. When he is offered the chance to help out with some undercover work, Frank jumps at the chance – even though Jane storms out. When the info Frank finds points to imprisoned bomb expert Rocco Dillon he agrees to go into the jail and infiltrate his gang in order to find out his plan.

Despite the fact that the second part was a little bit of a dip from part 1, Debin was brought back for a final insult and managed to produce a very enjoyable conclusion to the series. Opening with one of the best moments from all three films (a hilarious expansion of The Untouchable train station scene) the film keeps up a very consistent tone that has plenty of big laughs as well as lots of little things that will keep you chuckling. Its not that the film has no misses (it does) but they are covered by the sheer weight of hits that it includes. The plot is fairly simple but is well done to include a few basic set ups – the prison, the break out and the Oscars; each part is very funny if you're in the mood for it and, hey, even if you're not it is pretty infectious.

The writing is good – it is easy to forget how hard it is to write a good spoof, but recent attempts have shown had easy it is to misjudge the film and just be silly rather than funny. Another big part of the film working is yet another great performance from Leslie Neilsen, who makes it all look so easy! Ward is a great addition to the cast and is much better than the bad guy from the second film – Ward plays it gruff and straight, making it all the funnier. Presley is so-so, with her character kind of shoe-horned into the film to her detriment, but she does have some good moments. Freeman is good value and Smith, well, Smith has a good body and that's about it – but fair play to her for sending herself up like that, it's not like she needed the money after all.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable film as long as you are in the mood. Even if you aren't roaring with laughter you'll still be chuckling along. The material is hardly the height of wit or intelligence and some viewers may find it to be all a bit broad but fans of the genre will love it and get plenty of laughs from the material and the mostly good performances.

Outrageously funny! Film parodies and Leslie Nielsen at his best plus 1993's Playboy playmate of the year: Anna Nicole Smith all make for the best comedy film ever!

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
30 September 2000

The third and final installment and best of the Naked Gun series features Lt. Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) talked out of retirement to track down a terrorist who bombed a city hall building. First Drebin must go undercover in state prison then after escaping Rocco Dillon (Fred Ward) plans on bombing the Academy Awards you bet Frank and the police squad to the rescue no matter how comical. The laughs just keep coming with this film! The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult showed that films have parody, films throughout the years can become copycats except scenes are different with parody. Prime example is at the beginning of the film when the famous stair scene with the babies and the mob from the "Untouchables" is portrayed in a humorous manner. In fact parody is present in the opening credits in the form of Star Wars and Jurassic Park. Slapstick comedy mirrors almost every scene of this film as every funny and even the serious moments involve horseplay of some kind. And the dialogue is just as funny as can be these Naked Gun characters try to make everything they say twisted to where it sounds just as funny as possible. Leslie Nielsen is the funniest man ever in comedy films every scene he does cracks me up! George Kennedy and O.J. Simpson are nice funny sidekicks to Nielsen once again the casting of them both paid off they always made the Naked Gun films a pleasure to watch. 1993 Playmate of the year Anna Nicole Smith has better than average acting abilities and why she doesn't act more is a mystery to me she added a certain needed sex appeal to the final Naked Gun. I hate Paramount finally done away with the Naked Gun movies I hope to see another one made. Buy or record this one it simply is one of the funniest movies of all time it's sad in a way the series ended I know I laugh and enjoy this film so much I just had to record it and add to my video collection, like me you will watch it again and again for the many laughs and stupid mishaps.

Classic laughs

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
16 May 2006

I have to say that this is one of the greatest comedy trilogies I have ever seen. Leslie Neilson has never stopped with the laughter and his fearless performance as Frank. Presilla does a fantastic job and her Thelma and Louise with Ellen Green was just memorable and fun to watch. OJ Simpson, the "downfall" I like to call it, because three months later came the murder trials.

Anna Nicole Smith was actually amusing in this film, I loved the crying game parody. There are a lot of great spoofs and jokes in the film. I think anyone who needs a good laugh or loves the Naked Gun movies should watch 33 1/3, it's just guaranteed of a good time.

Ultimate fun throughout

Author: prash_142 from USA
19 August 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The film is entirely fun and you cant stop laughing at the silly things that happen in the movie. Though it gets a little boring for a short while, overall the movie is a blast. The scenes are executed well. The Hollywood spoof of the movie was just fun and rocking. Anna Nicole Smith is amazing in her sex appeal and has done justice to her part.

The actors have done their part well and the movie entertains you completely. Though the jokes are silly and not realistic, a movie is to entertain and this justifies its purpose. A nice watch over a Saturday afternoon.

"The Final Insult" is a enjoyable way to end "The Naked Gun" series.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
22 January 2009

Now former Lieutenant Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) has a tough time that he is not working with the Police Squad anymore and his wife Jane (Priscilla Presley) is now an lawyer. Although she wants a baby, he has a tough time getting her pregnant. His former partners (Oscar-Winner:George Kennedy and O.J. Simpson) wants Frank to spy on Tanya Peters (The late Anna Nicole Smith), since Tanya is involved with a hired bomb expert Rocco Dillon (Fred Ward). Which Dillon is in prison, at first Frank was supposed to get her address but he lost it. When Jane leaves him, thinking that Frank was fooling around with another woman. Frank decides to go undercover as a prisoner to get closer on Dillon. Frank knows that Dillon is planning to destroy and kill many of innocent people for a price but where ?

Directed by Peter Segal (The Nutty Professor 2:The Klumps, Anger Management, Tommy Boy) made an entertaining spoof comedy, based on the short-lived TV series back in the early 1980's. Nielsen is always an hoot in the lead. The cast seems to be having an great time. Although the reviews were mixed and at the box office was less promising than the first two but still, this was an major success on video. There's some lively cameos throughout the feature. If you are fan of these type of silly comedies or "The Naked Gun" movies, you will certainly enjoy it. Written by Pat Proft (The Naked Gun:From the Files of Police Squad!, Hot Shots! Part Deux, Scary Movie 3 & 4), David Zucker (An American Carol, High School High, Top Secret!) and Robert LoCash (CB4). (****/*****).

Hahahahahaha! It's Hysterical!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
20 August 2010

Is this movie hysterical? Let me tell you, this movie is totally and completely a hysterical time! This movie has got laughs in it from start to finish, I mean that there are laughs in just about every single scene! In my point of view, the last film in this hysterical series is a great way to end it! Like with the first two movies when I watched them, I was in pain from laughter! I think that when you watch this movie, you are probably not going to be able to stop laughing, I mean that you are going to be laughing and laughing yourself silly! This movie is also another one of the funniest movies that I have honestly seen in my life, not to mention that it is one of the funniest movies that I have seen in a couple of years! Like the first two movies, Leslie Nielsen just keeps the laughs on coming with every single scene that he is in! So all in all, this movie is a comedy film that is filled with laughs, so many laughs, that the chances are you will not even be able to count all of them! I am not kidding you, this movie is hysterical!

I love all of the Naked Gun movies, but as for deciding which one is the best, here it is. The best one is the first one, the second one is hysterical, but the third one is better than the second one. But anyway, Leslie Nielsen is at his best in this movie, he is more vibrant, more hysterical, and more outrageous than ever before! Well Leslie Nielsen is hysterical in just about every film that I have seen him in, and so it only seems natural that he would be hysterical in this movie! So Mr. Nielsen, let me say this to you, you are one of the funniest actors who has ever lived in my opinion!

So all in all, this is a film that you are not going to be able to stop laughing at! I mean that you are going to be laughing so hard that you will be crying! Prepare yourself to see Leslie Nielsen in top form in a hysterical movie that is top entertainment, you won't regret that you saw this movie at all, you will think that this movie is totally and completely hysterical!

The final installment of Naked Gun a bit funnier than the second part.

Author: Aaron1375
5 December 2010

I thought this one was almost as good as the first film and a bit better than the second one. I liked the whole infiltration of the prison plot and the retirement aspect of the film more than all the politics of the second film. However, Leslie plays Drebin in a bit more of a goofy fashion this go around. There are also other things in this film that were not really in the first two installments like the scenes that parodied other movies. Scenes like these were not in the first two movies, from what I remember anyway, but there are a couple of them in this one. Such as the opening which parodies "The Untouchables" and a "Thelma and Louise" one as well. However, the film has a nice conclusion at the academy awards which makes fun of Hollywood's biggest night in grand fashion. The plot has Frank retired, but he is coaxed out of retirement to break into a prison and find out a sinister plot. The villain this time is Fred Ward and he is good as is his gang. There are some surprises here and there too. I just thought this one was a bit more humorous than two, but not quite on par with the first one. Close, but not quite.

A lesser showing for the second sequel

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
13 January 2005

So, here we are then, with the third part of the very silly 'Naked Gun' series. For some reason, David Zucker isn't in the director's chair this time; and his replacement is the man who would go on to direct the 2004 disappointment '50 First Dates' a decade later; Peter Segal. This doesn't matter, though, because Zucker still shares a writing credit, and the series always belonged to Leslie Nielson anyway. Still, this third part isn't as good as the first two, by quite a margin. The story is less expansive this round, and the film is also a lot shorter (probably a comment on the fact that the writers were running out of ideas...), but it still has it's moments that are really funny. As usual, quite a few of the jokes don't work, but there's usually one that does just around the corner after a failed one. One sequence in particular involving Frank Drebin in a dance number is one such moment.

The thin plot is mostly a parody on the crime classic 'White Heat', and it involves Frank Drebin going undercover in jail and eventually having to try and thwart an act of terrorism. Naturally, this is just a springboard for lots and lots of gags, but that's no bad thing. Leslie Nielson approaches the role with the usual gusto, and does well with it again. Leslie Nielson's comedy works because he looks so ridiculous, and he can just stand around doing nothing and make you laugh. The Naked Gun series is a good waste of time if all you want is a laugh and this second sequel delivers on that front too, although not in quite as good a way as the first two did. Still, there's a lot worse comedies around.

Leslie Nielsen is Unstoppable!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
1 December 2011

'Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult', the third and final film in the Naked Gun series, is a hilarious slapstick fare, where it's lead star, the late Hollywood Legend, Leslie Nielsen, proves once again, that he is an unstoppable/unforgettable talent.

'Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult' Synopsis: Frank Drebin comes out of retirement to help Police Squad infiltrate a gang of terrorists planning to detonate a bomb at the Academy Awards.

'Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult' is a faithful & satisfying sequel. It raises a lot of laughs, especially in the climax, the entire Academy-Awards Sequence, which is absolutely hilarious. Pat Proft, David Zucker & Robert LoCash's Screenplay is genuinely funny & extremely arresting. Peter Segal Directs this slapstick comedy, decently. Cinematography & Art Design, are worth a mention.

Performance Wise: Nielsen, as mentioned before, is unstoppable in here. The legendary actor delivers a laugh-out-loud performance, and holds the film from start to end. Priscilla Presley supports well. George Kennedy is excellent. O.J. Simpson is fair. Fred Ward & Kathleen Freeman are passable. Others lend support.

On the whole, 'Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult' is slapstick comedy at its best.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]