IMDb > Mixed Nuts (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Worked for Me

Author: somecompany
24 April 2003

This film has met with some very negative reviews but in my view, 'Mixed Nuts' is an entertaining comedy following the "adventures" of a team of "lifesavers" who work at a suicide hotline. This film follows their adventures on Christmas Eve with characters like a homicidal pregnant woman, a transvestite, a murderer and a Santa Clause with a gun. It's much darker than you would expect from a Steve Martin film, especially since it's directed by the same woman who directed 'Sleepless in Seattle' and 'You've Got Mail'. The cast has some familiar faces including Adam Sandler and a very young Haley Joel Osment pre-The Sixth Sense. I bought this film at a very cheap price at a clothes store (don't ask me why) that had a few films that featured major stars in unkown and probably bad films. I was in the mood for a comedy and this was the only one on the shelf and it seemed black, strange and comic and I'm a big fan of Steve Martin so I rushed to buy it and didn't get watching it for two days. When I finally took the opportunity to stick it in the player, I found a black yet sweet comedy with some of the biggest laughs that have came from my mouth all year. Of course, this film seems to have a lot of negative reviews but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I can see why many people might not like this movie. So, if you're interested in seeing it: Rent it then, if you like it, go out and buy it because you'll be watching it a lot more.

I'm so upset no one else loves this movie....

Author: muzikla from United States
11 March 2005

I think I might cry. I feel so hopelessly misunderstood. This movie is brilliant.... I feel as though the epitome of my sense of humor has been rated "two stars"... this is depressing...

It's just... brilliant. It's completely nonsensicle and pointless and brilliant, much like a dream I might have when on too much cold medicine. Much like the dreams that I find most delightful...

It's one of those movies I find myself quoting all the time just to hear the lines again. Everyone thinks I'm nuts when I quote it because of course no one has ever heard of it. I've taken to making the little "plop" noise that Steve Martin does when he gets too flustered... when I get too flustered. Madeline Kahn is my hero. I relate too well to Mrs. Munchnik, sanity surrounded by chaos only to find that deep down, she too is a nut. If I were stuck on an elevator, I would have acted just as she had, making up little raps... It's the simple stuff... simple stupid stuff. That's what makes this film so brilliantly refreshing. It's so dumb! Take Adam Sandler, for instance. There was no reason for this character whatsoever. It was entirely random and uncalled for. It was almost as if he happened to be walking by and they called him over and said "Hey, Adam! Wanna be in a movie?"... the only thing he did was show off his mad ukulele skills. And he made me laugh... he was there for the sole purpose of being funny, no strings attached. It was so refreshing. As was this whole movie. Like a good dream! To me it is proof that when you have fun making it (which it appears impossible that they did not), you have fun watching it. At least I do... I'm gonna watch it tonight and appreciate it's wonderfulness.

Black, black comedy

Author: aberlour36 from United States
25 May 2003

This is not a film for everyone. One must appreciate black humor. If you do, this is a delight. I found it hilarious. True, it's blasphemous and screwy and not at all politically correct. That's a good start. What follows is, at times, breathtaking. Three cheers for Madeline Kahn. And for the courageous director and writer; a woman after my own heart.

Hilarious!

Author: John Williams from Alabama
18 October 1999

About 3 years ago,I was searching in the Comedy section of Blockbuster when I noticed this movie.I read the back,and thought it would be a pretty good movie.

I popped it in,and 10 minutes through the flick, I was on my back laughing my head off!With Madeline Kahn stuck in an elevator making catchy Christmas songs,then unknown Liev Schniber dressed in drag,Rita Wilson having breakdowns,and Juliette Lewis' crazy sayings,you can't resist laughing!

After watching this movie about 10 times in 2 days I purchased it.

Rent this movie if you want good laughs!

A brilliantly silly comedy.

Author: christine_dld from United States
3 September 2005

I can't believe how many people don't like this film! This is a must-see (many times!) each year before Christmas for my son and me. The beginning is a little slow but once the comedy really gets going it's hysterical! And in my opinion, the acting was priceless and each actor's comic timing brilliant. It would be very difficult for me to pick a favorite performance in this film, but if I had to, I would say Madeline Kahn as Mrs. Munchnick. Her facial expressions are adorable and I would say that her best scene was when she finally made it to the bathroom (won't give too much away!). Rita Wilson also gave a top-notch performance as the pathetically adorably Kathryn. Oh, and the soundtrack is great, too!

Hilarious

Author: eelizcrouse from United States
3 November 2005

This movie is a classic in my book. I watch it at least once every Christmas, along with a few times during the rest of the year. My best friend and I always watch it together and laugh and laugh. My favorite character in the film is "Arnold, Arnold, Arnold!" I just love "her." The "dog hater" and the re gifted fruit cake add to the joy of the movie. And I must add that I absolutely love the song that Adam Sandler wrote in the movie - "I love grape jelly." Cracks me up. Juliette Lewis does a great job in this film. Her statement, "I should have married a business man," while eating the Peanut Butter out of the jar with her fingers is just too much.

Watch it, Take a Deep Breath and Watch it Again

Author: callmecreative from United States
19 July 2005

I saw this movie during its original theatrical release. I didn't care for it at the time. Years later I rented it and suddenly I understood. This movie is a FARCE. By definition it is supposed to be over the top and at times illogical. Anyone who has acted in a community theater production of a broad comedy will understand. The setting is limited. The characters are odd. There is a repetitive joke with a prop. The hero is flawed, but rises to overcome his weakness. As for this particular cast--watch the physical as well as the verbal humor. Steve Martin is an A list actor for "I don't know where I went wrong with my life" characters. Adam Sandler wasn't a big audience draw yet, but showed he could be an ensemble player. Madeline Kahn's response to the profane called is hilarious. I am not a Juliette Lewis fan, but what she does in this movie she does well. The dialogue is snappy and true. The action is fast. And the resolution is acceptable. Afterall, it's about Christmas. "This is the Miracle."

actually quite good

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
21 October 2005

One of those "slice of life" stories, "Mixed Nuts" portrays several hours on Christmas Eve in a crisis hot-line center where Phil (Steve Martin) works. Over the day, a most unusual series of events happens, and no one's life will ever be the same again. Some of the scenes are real shockers (you'll know them when you see them).

Steve Martin has a great time with the role, as does Rita Wilson as Catherine O'Shaughnessy, Phil's co-worker. You'll really like the elevator scene. Great support from Madeline Kahn, Robert Klein, Juliette Lewis, Anthony LaPaglia, Rob Reiner, Adam Sandler, and Liev Schreiber make this movie truly one Christmas treat. Jon Stewart and Parker Posey also appear.

The title sums it up...

Author: dlcasey from Denton, Texas
1 January 2000

This comedy sports a delightful cast with...well, mixed nuts! Actually the title comes from the fact that the Steve Martin character's father was hit and killed by a truck loaded with mixed nuts, but we all really know what it's really about. Martin, Madeline Kahn (we miss you!), and Rob Reiner are very funny here, and some of the younger folks are very funny. I really thought Adam Sandler more or less made this thing...

Basically a story of a crisis-phone answering service manned by folks with neuroses and other generalized problems. Interwoven are stories of other problem folks. It all seems to work out in a mad-cap way, and although this isn't the funniest movie, it is still very enjoyable, and worth the rent.

Lonely people at Christmas...and the ones they intend to help...all mixed in like cashews, peanuts, filberts...you get it!

Enjoy.

Over the top screwball comedy just doesn't quite make it

Author: jeffws from Tucson, Arizona
24 December 2004

This film tries really really hard to be crazy, wacky, screwball-y, but just doesn't quite make it. It has some funny scenes, but does not hold together well. The scenes with Liev Schreiber as the drag queen are quite funny. Madeline Kahn does as much with her character as possible and succeeds just because she is so good. Adam Sandler is pretty weak just doing his old Saturday Night Live shtick, over and over. Steve Martin and Anthony LaPaglia are just wasted. Still it is not an entire waste of time. It wasn't one of those movies that you watch and immediately experience buyer remorse: another 2 hours of my life wasted! Also the film betrays a stage play adapted to screen. It is pretty much limited to the crisis center, with a few street scenes thrown in.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]