IMDb > A Mind to Murder (1995) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Mind to Murder (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Nothing like the book!

Author: georgigems from United States
14 March 2002

First I have to say that I am a big fan of ADAM DALGLIESH and think Roy Marsden is fabulous in the part. I read this book and loved it. The story begins with Adam at a cocktail party getting called away to investigate the brutal murder at a London Psychiatric Clinic which caters to upper class neurotics. The body of the admin officer is found with a chisel thru her heart. How Dalgliesh uncovers the motive for the killing and the wonderful cast of characters PD James created are all lost in this filmed version. The first thing that they did was change the location from the central area of London to some far remote location that Adam arrives to by helicopter.The characters are very weak and there is none of the suspense of the book. Who writes these screen plays anyway? (obviously they don't bother to read the book) and the ending is so far fetched. If I was PD James I would be very ticked that they made such a hash out of my work.

James and Dalgleish--a winning combination, always!

Author: (Billyjhobbs-1) from Tyler, Texas, United States
21 February 2010

P.D. James' Dalgliesh novels are simply the best and those responsible for transposing these books to the screen do an outstanding job. As Dame James told me a couple of years ago in London, she is very proud of Roy Marsden's Dalgliesh and of the adaptation of her books into TV/movies.

"A Mind to Murder" captures (and reflects) the intensity of the plot's expectations. It's more than just "cerebral," it's captivating and mesmerizing, in the acting as well as the representation of the book. I've read all the James books and seen all the cinematic versions. All are well done and not disappointing, especially so with Marsden as Adam.