IMDb > Major League II (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Major League II More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Author: steve layne
10 June 2000

To me this one is a lot better than the third one, and just about as good as the original. I don't understand why people don't like this movie. Bob Uecker is as funny, if not funnier than he was in the original. Randy Quaid (hey vile thing) is hilarious as an obsessed Indians fan who turns anti-fan. The new characters are very funny and wacky. Also The game at the end is thrilling. All in all underrated, and just about as good as the original. I give Major League II *** out of ****

I thought there were just as many laughs and it was a decent sequel

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
26 November 2006

I don't know why the harsh rating, I mean, despite the fact that a few actors were replaced, I thought that Major League 2 was a decent comedy. Separated from the first, I think more people would give it a chance. How could you not laugh at the buddist out fielder? He was hilarious! I liked how they showed that most of the guys changed, it was so human and added a real story.

The boys are back for the next season, this time Rachel has sold the team to Roger and he is in charge. The boys have all changed though, mainly Rick, who has lost his "wild thing" edge. The boys this time want to make it to the world series, but that's going to be hard since most of them have taken their fame to their heads. Rachel buys the team back and the boys finally decide to get themselves together and get to the world series!

Major League 2 is a good comedy if you just let go of the first one, I know that most don't want to since the first was so original and a great comedy as well, but just give it a shot as it's own movie. It has some really funny moments that I loved a lot. This movie at least deserves to have a better rating than a sorry 4.7.

Almost strikes out, but saved by a few minor perks

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
28 March 2011

Major League II is a lost cause at best. It's one of those films you know will have a sequel, but you don't want there to be a sequel. You want the film to leave off on a good note and not be inhabited by sequels of lesser quality. Instead, Major League did what was predicted and made a sequel that is (a) PG and not on par with the original and (b) doesn't include all of the original actors.

I could tell from the beginning of the film that director David S. Ward, also director of the first film, really wanted to get everyone back to do a great sequel. Rene Russo and Wesley Snipes, big names in the first film, are now absent. Snipes is replaced with Omar Epps, who is decent, but not as funny as the way Snipes portrayed the character of Willy Mays Hayes.

The plot: The Indians open up next season confident because of their big surprise last year. But some changes have been made. Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn (Sheen), the team's star player, has quit sporting his bad boy image and now has a cleaner act. Jake Taylor (Berenger), the Indians catcher, still has serve knee problems and is on his last leg (no pun intended). Roger Dorn (Bernsen) retired from the Indians to later buy the team from Rachel Phelps. And the team's oddball player Pedro Cerrano (Haysbert) has converted to Buddhism and is way more of a relaxed player.

Major League II is more or less a remake of the first film with some new little perks. The screenwriter didn't want to experiment with much so the film is just the Indians struggling at the beginning of the season to become respectable players by the end once more. When it comes to baseball movies there isn't a whole lot of originality. The end will surprise virtually no one.

The character I still find hilarious is Lou Brown (Gammon). As well as the character of the Indians announcer Harry Doyle (Uecker) who has a major alcohol problem throughout the season while announcing the games. Absolute hilarity in both of these actors.

One character I grew tired of fast was Isuro Tanaka (Takaaki Ishibashi). His on screen actors are utterly atrocious and just unfunny especially when he gets into fights with Pedro Cerrano. The obsessed, fair weather Indians fan played by Randy Quaid is nothing but annoying as well.

Several things drag Major League II in the gutter, but it still is a fair sequel. I feel that this is a beginning of an end though. I feel this is the best sequel to Major League we're going to get. It's sad. But most likely true as I've heard nothing but average to poor reviews of Back to the Minors.

Director David S. Ward wants to get Berenger, Sheen, and Snipes back for a third film but I find that highly unlikely. Berenge has gotten too old and probably lost interest. Good luck getting Sheen to put a pause on his Two and a Half Men drama to do it, Snipes is in prison till 2013, and Gammon is dead. Major League III, if it will happen, is highly unlikely. That is no error. Ward wants the film to be titled Major League III, even though chronologically it's Major League IV.

Regardless, I feel Back to the Minors will conclude the series good or bad. It looks like Major League II will be the best Major League sequel out there. This could've all been avoided if we just left the film alone where it was; a funny and clever baseball comedy.

Starring: Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Corbin Bernsen, Dennis Haysbert, Omar Epps, David Keith, Margaret Whitton, James Gammon, and Bob Uecker. Directed by: David S. Ward.

Separate it from the original and it's not as bad as some make it out to be...

Author: kingklassy ( from Long Island, NY
10 June 2003

Okay, the original "Major League" (1989) was a great movie and the surprise hit of 1989. So, it's no surprise that not only did they want to sequelize it, but that they toned the humor down to PG level to reach a wider audience. Unlike alot of other sequels, most of the original crowd is back (including Charlie Sheen as Rick Vaughn and Tom Berenger as Jake Taylor), save for Wesley Snipes, whose role of Willie "Mays" Hayes is reprised by then-up-and-coming Omar Epps (who pokes fun at Snipes' then-rising career as an action film star in a very funny sequence with Jake Ventura).

The original film focused more on the story of a bunch of has-beens and never-will-bes trying to have "one last good day in the sun" playing for the struggling Cleveland Indians. This sequel follows similar ground, with most of the players having gained large egos from their sudden success and not caring much about the game anymore. "Major League II" seems to like to jump quickly through the story, however, so you don't get as much of a sense of what's on the line for the team like you did in the original.

The film starts with some new characters (like a new and arrogant catcher) that provide some pretty necessary tension, but soon gets rid of them to make way for broader characters (like the Japanese outfielder). Perhaps the most irritating is the brilliantly misused Randy Quaid, who plays a die-hard fan that turns coat on the team when they start to lose. The odd part about his appearance is that his character behaves and acts like a returning character, yet there was no sign of him in the first one. He even hangs out with the die-hards from the first film (remember the three man wave in the stands?), but he is totally unfamiliar that he's almost unnecessary.

The return of former-turned-current team owner Rachel Phelps is unncessary and seems like a rehashing of the tension created by her presence in the first film. He appearance midway through the film (combined with alot of other mid-mark plot changes) makes it seem like the writers and director changed their minds on the story halfway through making the film and tried to weld it all together into something cohesive.

There are alot of great lines in this film though and some truly funny parts. I think the major problem with this sequel is that it follows the superb original. If you were to watch it without constant comparison to the first, it is a pretty entertaining film and better than alot of other sequels. But I guess it must be hard to follow-up something so great that wasn't really trying to be in the first place.

Not as bad as some say

Author: JABrown from Woodstock, Georgia USA
4 July 2004

Okay, I admit this film isn't quite as good as the original. But aside from that, it really isn't as bad as it's being made out to be.

In my opinion, the biggest flaw was that it was supposed to be the `very' next year, but in reality the movie was filmed five years later. This really showed with some of the characters. Rick Vaughn (Charlie Sheen) was a rookie in the first film, but he's obviously not a kid anymore in this one. When Jake Taylor (Tom Berenger) first stepped out of the taxi at the beginning of this movie, he looked so much older that it was stunning. And Margaret Whitton (Rachel Phelps) had aged so much and gained enough weight that I literally didn't even recognize her at first. All of this just took a while to get accustomed to, not to mention Willie Mays Hayes now being played by a different character. They just casually slipped that in there like we weren't supposed to notice, but I never really could accept this as being the same character that I loved so much in the first film.

As far as the comedy, it's a bit more slap-stick than the original. The character of Rube Baker (played by Eric Bruskotter) is likeable, but borderline goofy. Also, Roger Dorn's character (played by Corbin Bernsen) has transformed from an egotistical bad-boy to a wimpy cry-baby. I had trouble believing that was the same character as well.

But all of that aside, I still liked this film pretty well. It just took me a while to adjust to the changes. I enjoyed it better the second time I watched it, once the initial shock had worn off.

Author: Leif Hellstrom from Sweden
10 February 2002

This may not be a great movie but it is excellent craftmanship. The acting is uniformly good and relaxed and the cinematography simple but efficient. The story may be similar to the first film but it is not a copy and is quite OK for a Sunday afternoon type film.

The film flows effortlessly and seamlessly from beginning to end and there are none of those badly played/cut/directed/whatever scenes or really dull spots that reminds you it is "just a film". For this reason it is one of those films I can watch again and again with enjoyment.

Where can winners be losers and losers be winners?

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
20 August 2000

I am usually not much on sequels, and it is hard to tell if this time out the Cleveland Indians are much better off. "Wild Thing" is back, but with a cleaned up look. Jake Taylor is back as a coach helping Manager Lou Brown guide the misguided. Roger Dorn is back with an even larger ego. Announcer Harry Doyle is outspoken as ever, but I think he made a bigger impact in the first movie.

Charlie Sheen, Corbin Bernsen, Tom Berenger, James Gammon, Margaret Whitton and Bob Uecker reprise their roles with relish. Well, Berenger probably could have phoned in his part. Added to the mix are Omar Epps, David Keith and Takaaki Ishibashi.

Batter up and take your cuts. This is fun to watch back to back with the first gathering of baseball cut ups.

Better than Major League 1 for these reasons

Author: John McDevitt from United States
10 April 2014

I don't know why there's so many negative reviews for this film when I think it's just as good as the original and in some respects, even better. Major League II is a logical progression from the original with the team losing their focus and enjoying the spoils of fame. A lot of what happens is this film happened to the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies after they won the World Series. This movie is blasted for predictable, clichéd writing when there was just as much in the first one. At least this movie doesn't have the maudlin Randy Newman songs and dreadful romance between Tom Berenger and Rene Russo. It makes sense to have Charlie Sheen be the focus this time as his story is more interesting than Tom Berenger as the focus in the original. The new characters are all worthwhile and interesting, especially David Keith as the formidable Parkman and Randy Quaid as the irate fan who won't go away. There were enough changes in this film to make it a little different but still keep it like the original. And who doesn't get excited when you hear Wild Thing at the end when Rick Vaughan has even more at stake this time to strike someone out? Don't believe all the negativity regarding this film. It's a very enjoyable, worthwhile sequel that I feel is criminally underpraised while the original may be a tad overcelebrated.

Don't bother, even if you liked the first movie

Author: richard-1787 ( from United States
30 October 2013

This movie is almost totally flat. The first one in the series was already uneven, but the end saved the day, and really got you involved in the success of the Indians.

In this installment, things just happen for no reason. For awhile the Indians are bad, for no real reason. Then suddenly they get very good. Why? Who knows.

Until we get to the final games, the humor is lame to downright disabled. Bob Ueker's character becomes an embarrassment, as does the Japanese player from Toledo. The movie just meanders along, going nowhere.

There was talent involved in the making of this movie, but not in the writing of this script. Couldn't they have found a script doctor to make this better?

Good enough

Author: SanteeFats from United States
27 July 2013

Not nearly as funny as Major League this is still a decent enough sequel. To9m Berenger is back as the almost washed up catcher and team leader. Charlie Sheen is back as Wild Thing, the heat throwing pitcher. Unfortunately he has become extremely corporate in his actions and his image. This is due to a marketing ploy to increase his marketability quotient. Towards the end he returns to reality and to his successful on field persona dumping the agent and her requirements. I really like the character of the manager played by Gammons. I don't know if it is just his voice and mustache but his presence his powerful. Alison Doody is back as the ogre of an owner and does it well. David Keith has a almost minor role as an irascible mercenary slugger. He gets his comeuppance when Sheen strikes him out to win the game. Dennis Haysbert is very good as the voodoo worshiping (?), superstitious, and now a pacifistic do gooder who gives it up when he realizes it doesn't work for him. Omar Epps replaces Wesley Snipes and while I like both actors Snipes was better as Willie Mays Hayes. The appearance of Tanaka is a nice touch and his samurai(?) principles eventually brings Cerrano out of his funk.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]