IMDb > A Low Down Dirty Shame (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Low Down Dirty Shame

A Low Down Dirty Shame More at IMDbPro »

If you take this seriously then you're totally missing the point!

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
24 February 2006

A Low Down Dirty Shame is really no more than all the most familiar Cop movie clichés arranged in an order that makes a barely cohesive story. But it's all the fun and silly action that occurs in between that really matters! It's a bit like The Last Boy Scout from a spoof-blaxploitation angle.

Shame (Keenan Ivory Wayans) is a former cop who has been blackballed after a major drugs bust went awry, leaving several DEA agents dead. He now works as a private detective, taking on suicide missions for peanuts and barely scraping by. His disapproving secretary Peaches (a very funny and very, very small Jada Pinkett) wants him to get his act together but he's too busy wallowing in self-pity.

His old pal from the DEA shows up and offers him a side mission to help get back at the Drug Kingpin who ruined his career. And so, with only a few clues, Shame begins his search and soon all roads lead to lies and deception. Like I said, the plot is certainly nothing special. But it does contain a helluva lot of laughs and decent action.

The one thing I can complain of is that the production design is kind of dated now. Action films have evolved so much in the past decade that watching ALDDS 12 years on can be a bit distracting. Wayans (who also directs as well as writing and starring) too often shoots non-actions scenes like a sitcom and his light-hearted editing may help remind you that this totally AIN'T a serious film but it's a little TV-ish if you know what I mean.

If you find ALDDS for cheap somewhere or if it's showing on TV then don't con yourself out of a fun movie. High art is not what this film aims to be.

Funny And Full Of Action

Author: claudonio from california
26 January 2000

"A Low Down Dirty Shame" is a hysterically funny and action packed movie that is a must see! Most movies that try to blend comedy and action usually fail, but not this movie. This movie delivers equally on both counts. Watch this film, you will not be disappointed.

Shaft with humor

Author: (winner55) from United States
27 June 2006

I enjoyed this film, and it holds up fairly well with repeated viewings.

But more importantly, this film has historical importance.

First of all, this film is drawing very heavily on Hong Kong action thrillers at a time when these were just getting attention in the US.

Secondly, compare this film very carefully with the Samuel Jackson "remake" of "Shaft", released - with enormous hype - in 2000.

I don't know why Wayans didn't sue for plagiarism. Samuel Jackson's Shaft is Shame without humor.

Unfortunately, the humor is absolutely essential to this story. For one thing, it creates a "black" identity that is capable of rising above any Hollywood appropriation of it. Shame's secretary - and real romantic interest - is a strong black woman - a character type that Hollywood has finally admitted actually exists only very recently, since about 2001.

So Samuel Jackson's Shaft gets a x-million dollars promo, and still can't come up with an interesting story (although it was nice to see Richard roundtree on the screen again).

Meanwhile, let's talk about entertainment - alright, there are some bits that don't work; but enough do to keep the film moving. I had good time; what the heck.

Put the kids to bed before you watch it...

Author: JayBlack12 (JayBlack12@aol.com) from Akron, Ohio
28 June 2001

Considering that Keenan Ivory Wayans is a comedian, I was impressed with the way that he handled this action-comedy which he starred in and directed. A not so far cry away from his comedic success with his "blaxploitation" spoof "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka", Keenan manages to fare well with good action sequences and stick a lot of funny s*** along the way. Jada Pinkett lives up to comedic expectations as the sexy but tough assistant to Shame as Peaches. It's a good action-comedy to rent, but put the kids to bed before you watch it. The movie has plenty of violence, adult content and plenty of raw language.

Do Not Believe The CRAP "uppity" People Say About This Movie...IT IS AWESOOOOME!!

Author: stumaczter1 from Trinidad and Tobago
6 July 2009

I'm sure this movie wasn't done with "we're gonna win an academy award with this one!" intentions it doesn't take itself too seriously & was done to entertain & it did just that! Trust me all the negative criticism & unnecessary flack this movie got was totally unwarranted & was done by people who have NO taste for GREAT entertainment! That being said this movie is one of my favourite comedy/action flicks..it is FUNNNNNNNNNY & the ACTION is steadily paced & EXPLOSIVE there isn't a dull moment in this one guys.Jada Pinkett was too cute not to mention hilarious in this movie & her personality amped this film up nicely.The guy who played Louise was very funny & of course the oldest Wayans brother Keenan (the star)delivered too.Lol the guy who played Wayman was a riot as well. In my head I'm trying to pick out a favourite moment from this movie & I can't!..the whole movie was a BLAST & if you haven't seen it yet you're wasting time..seriously! It's one of the best films in the comedy/action genre & fans of both individual genres WON'T be disappointed either..so if you haven't seen it yet do yourself a favour & check it out you won't regret it! 10 out of 10 stars!

You Might Like It, You Might Not

Author: ichocolat from i1chocolat.blogspot.com
16 September 2008

There are some films that you can't decide whether the film is good or bad. On whether the film is worth the watch or you're better off doing some other more meaningful things. This film is one of it.

As I said, you might like it, you might not.

The acting a little bit over the top, but I think that's what the producer intended to do. The jokes may at times be quite crude, but maybe it's exactly the way it was suppose to be.

Worth a mention here is Jada Pinkett acting. She's quite good ! And I like her hairstyle too. Not that it has any bearing of the quality of acting though, just wanted to let you guys know.

Over all, the film is nice to watch, if you don't take it seriously.

Low Down Dirty Amusement

Author: Shannon from Virginia, USA
5 December 2004

I found this movie to be quite over the top. Sure, the mass destruction is reminiscent of the Blues Brothers. Sure, the action and hype is quite over-rated. That's what makes Keenan Ivory Wayans the talent that he is. I find that I like to watch this movie when I am down in the dumps and in need of a distraction.

Jada Pinkett (later Smith) shines in this role. I have a sneaking suspicion that she's quite a lot like this character in real life. She made this movie, and I think it launched her for future good acting roles. Girlfriend doesn't ride Will's coatails, she's established on her own in my book.

The characters in the movie needed to be taken at face value, that was all they were worth. If you took an instant dislike to any of them, you were supposed to. The plot is a no brainer, and the jokes were quite funny even if you view this movie excessively. You WILL catch yourself wandering around saying lines from the movie....a true mark of a decent film.

I recommend it for a burst of energy on an otherwise boring weeknight. Happy viewing.

Fun movie

Author: westside-surfer from Okinawa, Japan
9 September 2014

After all these years, I can finally scratch this one off the list. I'm a big fan of Keenen's work. Who doesn't love In Living Color and I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, c'mon now! But somehow Shame went under my radar.

Straight up, it wasn't as good as I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, which is pure comedy gold. But it was definitely a perfect movie to watch after coming home from work and just wanting something that doesn't involve a lot of thinking but still fun to watch.

Everything about this movie is pretty mediocre: the action lacks explosions, the gun play is a little tame, and the bad guy isn't very "bad." What saves this movie is Keenen's charisma. The dude is really funny and can carry flimsy plot all the way to the end. It felt as if he were missing an equally strong partner, such as Lethal Weapon's set up, but Jada sorta fills that role with her strong personality. I just wish they would have given her more screen time.

All in all, cool movie to chill out with.

I loved this MOVIE!

Author: ct162926 from United States
2 June 2006

WOW! this movie was great filled with action and comedy. The Action was from start to end! And the comedy is what makes this movie good peaches (Jada Pinkett Smith) was so funny in this one go rent it its worth 3 or 4 bucks! Don't Listen To The Top Comment hes a negative person and it has different people in it that surprisingly does a very good job! There's boy fights and guess what Jada fights in it to she is so ghetto in this film she hasn't done a lot of films but this one is definitely top 5. if u have any comments on my thoughts please e-mail me at get_over_it@now.com OK I'm done with this one on to the next films. gosh they make you write a minimum number of ten lines.

I enjoyed the movie.

Author: DCCALPENA from USA
1 March 2003

The movie was not the greatest, I agree, but it was entertaining. It had a lot of action and humor. The acting, though not superb, was in general, decent. As long as I'm entertained, can laugh, cry or be scared out of my wits by a performance, then I recommended the movie. I am a firm believer that if a person doesn't like what he/she are watching, they can leave or turn the dial.