IMDb > Little Giants (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Giants

Little Giants More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

You don't have to be good to have fun!

Author: Aksarbengurl
30 December 2002

The movie, the Little Giants is a fun and enjoyable movie. I personally like that kids ambitions and determination. The cast is great! I watch it over and over because of Devon Sawa. Him and the rest of the cast really acted their parts incredibly. I just can't get enough of this great movie!

Kevin and Danny O'Shea are brothers and Kevin is a former football star. Kevin puts together a Pee-Wee football team and doesn't choose Icebox. Icebox decides to get her friends together to form their own team. Icebox may be tough on the field but when she deals with a crush it makes her reconsider football. The day of the big game comes and the teams are ready! The movie ends, allowing you to decide what happens next!

I urge you to rent Little Giants and see all the fun for yourself!

OK, So this is actually good

Author: Apolla from London, England
11 September 1999

Amazing. This is a good movie. It can be a little bit sappy, but it can mean a lot. You can quite easily psycho-analyze it to death, but if you just sit down, watch and enjoy, it's a good film. Becky/Icebox's conflict between being the two sides of herself, the tomboy and the girl is something a lot of girls have been through. And who wouldn't when the object of affection is Devon Sawa? There are decent performances all round, and it might not be destined to be a classic, but it's not a bad movie. In fact, it's a very good movie.

I loved it!

Author: Aksarbengurl from US
31 December 2002

I loved the Little Giants!

Kevin and Danny O'Shea are brothers. Kevin is a former football star. Kevin puts together a Peewee football team and doesn't choose Becky/Icebox. Becky/Icebox decides to get her friends together to form their own team. Icebox may be tough on the field but when she deals with a crush on the teams quarterback, Junior (Devon Sawa,) it makes her reconsider football. I'm not surprised she likes Junior (Devon Sawa). He is a total hottie! The day of the big game comes and the Little Giants are pumped but when a surprise is thrown their way they are a little scared. The movie ends, allowing you to decide what happens next! I would love it if they made a sequel, of course they couldn't use the same characters though.

I LOVED THE LITTLE GIANTS!

Who are we doing it for? the kids, that's right.

Author: CharlesVonFunhammer from home
21 November 2002

If you don't like the little giants on some level, then you're a robot. I know robots, don't be that guy. The little giants is cute, it's fun, and it's funny. It's about the kids who "weren't good enough" to make the select team, and who form their own team. Plotwise, there is nothing new about the film, and really, you're not going to be impressed by the "art of cinema." But put yourself there. Tell a child he isn't good enough, I dare you. It's a good family story about triumph and about overcoming the obstacles life throws at us, even at a young age. These aren't college kids, or pros, they're not even teenagers. The story is warm, inviting, sweet, and funny. Enjoy this film. Watch it with your kids, watch it with people you love, and do it for the kids. Peace.

Devon Sawa as a Pee-Wee Football Star... and Rick Moranis

Author: gavin6942 from United States
6 January 2008

As children, the O'Shea brothers were night and day: one a geeky little wimp and the other a popular football player. As adults, the trend continued and the football player was now a popular coach with a successful car dealership. But when the wimp's daughter gets rejected from her uncle's football team, the brothers must face off: wimps versus jocks. It's an underdog story!

I watched this film on Christmas 2007 with my best friend Chelsea, who freely admits to loving underdog kid sports films (which is evident if you know her love for "The Sandlot" and "The Might Ducks", as well). I don't really have that strong of an attachment, but they're fun if nothing else, and this one is definitely one of the more amusing ones, if for no other reason than the rampant stereotypes and solid cast.

Rick Moranis is the wimp brother, Danny O'Shea (not far from his role in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids") and Ed O'Neill is football star Kevin O'Shea (sort of like his role on "Married With Children"). The daughter/niece is Becky "Icebox" O'Shea, played by Shawna Waldron (who went on to appear in "The American President") and her love interest is Devon Sawa, playing quarterback Junior Floyd. Sawa is how I got "tricked" into watching this film, after his name was dropped during one of our many "Casper" conversations...

There's nothing really surprising about this film. I won't give it away by telling you the plot, but I will say it's a team of wimps against a team of quality players. You can probably guess how this works out, because all underdog sports movies basically work the same way. And you'll get the stereotypes here: tomboy who struggles with becoming a woman, fat kid who must be eating (and passing gas) in every scene... weakling with the overprotective mother. You can take away points for creativity, but you have to grant them that they've covered all the expected bases.

With the possible exception of one twist (which is predictable if you see the opening credits) and the presence of Harry Shearer with some great announcements ("Mr. Moe Mentum has a new address!") this is what you'd expect, and if you want what you expect, you'll love this film. I found it very fun and light-hearted (a good way to wind down Christmas). Would I watch it again? Yes.

A Must See

Author: Jmalia4 from New Jersey
24 August 2004

This movie is adorable for adults and kids alike. The plot is cute and funny. The lines are new and fresh. All the actors did a great job and a credit to their profession.

The idea of a girl being better than a boy is not far fetched, but new to most. They may take a little poetic licence with some of the scenes, but only to enhance the storyline.

For those who are looking for realism in a bunch of misfit kids, i would also point out the movie Goonies and the classic it became, speaking to those who were less than perfect as children.

The movie will delight and is worth the time to see.

love the Icebox

Author: SnoopyStyle
26 November 2015

In Urbania, Ohio, former football star Kevin O'Shea (Ed O'Neill) is the arrogant coach of the Peewee football team, the Urbania Cowboys. He is constantly living in his former glory. His brother Danny O'Shea (Rick Moranis) has always lived in his shadows. Danny's tomboy daughter Becky 'Icebox' O'Shea (Shawna Waldron) is the best player of the lot but uncle Kevin won't pick a girl. Becky starts a team with the other rejects and her father as the coach. There can only be one team representing the town in the state championship and they decide to play one playoff game. The rejects recruit various misfits and then they find Junior Floyd (Devon Sawa) as the star quarterback. It turns out his mother is Danny's former crush Patty (Susanna Thompson).

This is a nice underdog kids sports movie. The Icebox is a great character. I love her tomboy attitude and her girlish fears. The underdogs are not that new but they are still very adorable. On the surface, this is a sports movie. Underneath it, it's a movie about family relationships. I love the O'Shea sibling rivalry. It's terrific that Kevin isn't simply an evil villain and Danny isn't a simple victim. Also there is the great father-daughter relationship. These are relationships of love and family.

I think it's fun

Author: hessian823 from United States
21 October 2006

This movie is just fun. It has a good message but its well crafted so as not to make it seem preachy as so many children's movies can be. I was 16 when this movie came out and I like it then and I like it now. How can anyone be opposed to a movie where the little guy proves that he can make it against the best. It's the American dream. While I certainly would not nominate this picture for an Oscar it is fun. This nice thing about this movie is that its pretty relevant for kids today so it has kind of a timeless quality to it. If you have kids or you are a big kid (like me) and feel like having a little light film fare, check it out, I think you'll enjoy it.

Amazing classic, trashed for no reason

Author: (gopherp86@hotmail.com) from Illinois
22 October 2001

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** People may say formulaic and predictable like Mighty Ducks and Angels in the Outfield, but I say genius and thought provoking! Little Giants mixes so many ideas and makes them all work. I have never seen a family comedy hit so many serious issues right on the head.

Little Giants begins with young brothers, Kevin and Danny, going to a friendly neighborhood football game where Kevin is the best and Danny doesn't even get picked. The next scene goes in the future and Kevin (Ed O'Neill) is the Cowboys peewee football coach, Heisman trophy winner, family man, and admired citizen in the community. Danny (Rick Moranis) is the owner of a small gas station and is divorced with a daughter. Danny's daughter Becky (Shawna Waldron), nicknamed Icebox, aims to follow in her uncle's footsteps and tries out for the football team. Even though she is the best one on the field, Uncle Kevin will not have a girl play on his football team. He cuts Becky and her three untalented male friends because they `just can't cut it.' They don't think it is fair so they start their own team (Little Giants), with Danny as the head coach.

The town can only have one team, `one town, one team' so the two teams have to compete in a playoff, which becomes more like sibling rivalry than a fun game of peewee football! Along the way Danny's team picks up more neighborhood kids including an impressive quarterback and hottie named Junior Floyd (Devon Sawa). Kevin's team picks up a mutated youngster named Spike (Sam Horrigan) who from birth was created by an obsessive father to get `football glory.'

As the two teams prepare for battle, Becky gets second thoughts. She has a crush on Junior Floyd and thinks he would like a cheerleader rather than a tomboy/football player. Now the Little Giants think they have no chance! On the big day, the Cowboys are ready to kill and the Little Giants are praying to God! In the first half the Cowboys slaughter the Little Giants, but Danny gives the kids a pep talk. If they can beat the Cowboys only one out of a hundred times, that still leaves one time. Now they are all pumped up and ready to go! They come out, Icebox comes back in, and they win on a crazy play that ends up in a last second touchdown. Danny and Kevin forgive each other and plan to put the two teams together as one.

If you haven't seen the movie you must be asking, `Where is the genius in this movie? Why is it thought provoking?' Director, Duwayne Dunham, makes sure we get plenty of laughs from the antics of the teams, but deep issues are being addressed. I will try to hit a few. Parents are too competitive when it comes to peewee sports. Spike's father is an exaggerated example, but it clearly shows how parents try to live their lives through their kids. The other extreme is the neglectful father of Johnny Vennara (Jon Paul Steuer). Johnny's father is always leaving town and missing the team/parent events.

The movie shows the common held belief that people deserve more admiration if they are good at sports. Kevin receives respect from the entire town just because he was a good football player. Danny has to gain respect because he is not good at any sports. Judging people by their appearance rather than their character is intertwined throughout the movie. The athletic kids make fun of the kids who get cut. Athleticism is the most important thing.

When Becky becomes a cheerleader to get Junior's attention, she does what a lot of people do. They change whom they are to get people to like them. If you get the person to like you, you will have to be a fake whenever you are around them. Junior ended up liking the real Becky anyway.

It is true that Little Giants follows a formula and is rather predictable. However, we identify with the characters in their realistic struggles and have fun doing it.

I still love to watch it!!

Author: MulhollandGirl (bethany.guida@gmail.com) from United States
5 June 2006

I never expected this movie to contain life-altering dialog or include Oscar-caliber performances, and I think that is why I love it so much. I don't have the hardest life on the planet, but I do work, and go to college full-time, and now I am also starting to apply to grad schools. So sometimes I just want to sit down and watch a film where I don't have to think. I can just sit back, relax, laugh at a few corny jokes, and root for the good girls and guys. So on days when I am tired of all the stress I love to pop in a movie like The Little Giants. It really has a cute plot. A dad wants the best for his daughter, his brother doesn't pick her for his football team even though she is really good, so he starts his own team with a mix of kids that normally wouldn't be picked for any sports team. Even though his team doesn't boast the brawn of his brothers, his little giants have big hearts and a lot of will. With a few little love stories in the mix, and of course an event that seems to spell doom for the little giants, this is a really fun, enjoyable film that is appropriate for the whole family. Yeah it may have its predictable moments, but that is just what I want when I settle in to watch a film in this genre.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]