IMDb > The Lion King (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Best Animated Film I Have Ever Seen

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
1 January 2000

The Lion King is a great film. Along with a great story (inspired by William Shakespeare's Hamlet), terrific animation, and an all star cast of voices, there are the lessons that are learned from this film (despite being a little rough for the younger children). Like responsibility and honor.

I rank this animated film among the great films I have ever seen. It was part of my childhood and it is a film experience I will never forget. And hopefully, you won't either. A++

A Film For All Ages

Author: claudonio from california
20 January 2000

This is a film that can entertain anyone young or old, I usually don't care for animated movies but this film is the real deal, this is one of disney's best animated movies. The animation is top notch and flawless. This film also features superb work from the vocal cast James Earl Jones, Jeremy Irons, Whoopi Goldberg. This is a standout.

The best Disney animated film ever...

Author: gdswalia from India
10 May 2005

The best Disney animated film ever...This film had it all, it was funny, emotional, had family drama, and above all, great animation and songs! My personal favorite character is Rafiki, the Baboon! I still cant forget the line he says to Simbe, "Past can hurt, but as I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it!" it is so true! i loved Zazu's weirdness, and shenzi's humor, above all, i loved Pumba's innocence and Timon's intelligence! In short, i found the film the best film ever... The voice cast is also great. Mathew did complete justice to Simba, and what can I say about Mufasa, He is the best King, and dad anyone can ever get! The movie is not meant for kids, its meant to teach every adult a lesson...to find our place in the great "Circle Of Life". I give this film a perfect 10.

One of my favorite movies of all time!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
31 October 2003

Seriously, I know that sounds stupid as this is an animated movie, but why can't we have a favorite movie that's animated? If you ask me this is Disney's best animated film of all time. Why do you ask? The animation is just beautiful, the story is powerful and moving, the characters are terrific, the villain is one of Disney's most monstrous and the songs are out of this world incredible! Not only is it my favorite animated movie, this is one of my favorite soundtracks, with the strong power of Elton John The Lion King is absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to watch still to this day. I have to say also that this story is just so beautiful, it's still one of the movies that will always bring a tear to my eye. When I was 17 years old, I begged my dad to take me to the re-release of The Lion King, him and I being the only adults besides the parents who took their children to see the movie, Simba's father dies and I started balling! My dad looks around and said "Krissy, stop it!" and I just said "But it's so saaaaad! Simba's daddy!", yes I'm a sap, I can't help it, this is a powerful movie.

In the Pride Lands, Rafiki, a wise old monkey, anoints Simba, the newborn cub of King Mufasa and Queen Sarabi, and presents him to a gathering of animals at Pride Rock. Taking advantage of the cub's naive nature, Simba's scheming uncle Scar, who is very angry because Simba's birth means that he's no longer next in line to the throne tells him about the elephant graveyard, a place where Mufasa has forbidden Simba to go. Simba asks his mother if he can go to the water-hole with his best friend, Nala, but they go to the graveyard instead. There, the cubs are met by Shenzi, Banzai and Ed, 3 hyenas who try to kill them, but they are rescued by Mufasa. But Scar doesn't give up there, he lures Simba into a gorge for a "surprise from his father" while the hyenas create a wildebeest stampede. Alerted by Scar, Mufasa races to rescue Simba from the stampede. He saves his son but is left clinging to the edge of a steep cliff. Scar flings his brother into the stampede below. Simba sees his father fall and rushes down the cliff after him, only to find him dead. Scar convinces Simba that he was responsible for his father's death and recommends that he runs away from the Pride Lands to avoid punishment. In a distant desert, Simba is found unconscious by Timon and Pumbaa, a duo who adopt and raise the cub under their worry-free philosophy, Hakuna Matata. When Simba has grown into an adult he is discovered by Nala, who tells him that Scar, through his irresponsibility, has turned the Pride Lands into a barren wasteland. She asks Simba to return and take his place as king but Simba refuses, still believing he caused his father's death. Rafiki arrives and persuades Simba to return to the Pride Lands, and face Scar once and for all.

I know that still that Beauty and the Beast is the only animated film to get a best picture nomination, but I don't understand why The Lion King didn't get the same treatment. I adore this film with such a passion, I will always defend it to the high end. I still watch this movie, ever since it's theatrical release in 1994, I still sing, dance, and rehears the lines back and forth. How could you not at least with Hakuna Matata? Timon is my idol, he's so care free, funny, and awesome during his drag hula scene… "Luau! If you're hungry for a hunk of fat and juicy meat, eat my buddy Pumbaa here, 'cause he's a tasty treat come on down and dine, on this tasty swine, all you gotta is get in line, are you achin',? For some bacon? He's a big pig. You can be a big pig, too. Oy!… Ahhhh!", best scene ever in film history! OK, not in history, but one of my favorites, it always has me on the floor laughing till my stomach hurts. If you seriously haven't seen this movie, see it! Who said that animated movies can't be true art? The Lion King is a fantastic film and deserves all it's praise and more.

So Good in So Many Ways.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
3 July 2002

Outstanding animated feature from Disney that sports outstanding songs by Elton John, a compelling story and first-class animation. Young lion cub Simba is to be king, but he leaves after he believes he was the reason for his father's death (of course this is not so). As he grows up, he goes on a journey of love, friendship and discovery which will lead him back to his rightful place in the world. Excellent. 5 stars out of 5.

A living masterpiece

Author: suicune_tudor from Romania
28 November 2005

This is truly one of the best Disney movies ever. I really enjoyed it when I first seen it, about when I was 6, and since then I watched it over and over again. I simply LOOOOVED the music. It's one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. And, speaking of soundtrack, I just can't tell in words how much I love the song "Can You Feel The Love Tonight". Is one of my favorite songs ever. I truly believe that this motion picture could easily be nominated for The Best Picture, but The Best Song and the Best Original Score is really enough. I wonder if they will ever think to make a prequel of this movie in order to understand who is Mufasa, Scar, Sarabi and the other characters. In short, this movie will be remembered in the next 100 years. Truly.

This is what kid's movies should be like...

Author: Maintenance_Guys from United States
7 August 2006

I find it hard to believe that kid's movies these days will ever be called classics in years to come (excluding Pixar movies). In my mind, this is the last classic hand drawn film, and it upsets me that I have to wait for another five years for it to come out on DVD. This film deals with great issues and involves a huge conflict for the main character, something that recent kid/family films lack. It is funny and lighthearted when it should be, and heartfelt and serious when it needs it. I believe that everybody should see this movie, regardless of your age. It may just be the last good movie that Disney will ever do without the help of Pixar.

TLK is Great

Author: David_l_s from Ontario, Canada
21 December 2005

I watched the film today and I have come to the conclusion that this Disney film is one classic that will keep on delivering to Disney fans like myself...TLK is a wonderful film with great characters and songs with a powerful message that you can always find your way back no matter how hard the journey...

I think The Lion King is one of the best Disney animated films matching with the power of Bambi and Brother Bear.

I love how Disney Works hard to deliver the best in Animation,Song,And Magic

I do believe that 2006 and many years from now The Lion King will Shine and still Roar with Success...

Thank-You Disney For The Lion King

The Lion King: 9/10

Author: movieguy1021 (Movieguy1021@comcast.net) from Anywhere, USA
28 December 2002

Released Christmas Day in 2002 to IMAX and large format screens, The Lion King makes a triumphant return to the screen after eight years. Its every bit as majestic and great as it has been before.

The Lion King Mufasa (James Earl Jones) just had a baby cub named Simba. All of the animals come to the ceremony, except for Mufasa's brother Scar (Jeremy Irons). Scar desperately wants to be King, but can't. As long as Mufasa and Simba are there. Soon Simba is able to walk and talk and is voiced by Jonathon Taylor Thomas. After hearing about an elephant graveyard from Scar, he and his friend Nala (Niketa Calame) visit it. They meet three bumbling hyenas: Banzai (Cheech Marin), Shenzi (Whoopi Goldberg), and Ed (Jim Cummings), but they manage to leave unhurt. Scar is upset that the hyenas didn't do the job, so he orders a stampede to wipe out both of them, but it only takes care of Mufasa. Scar convinces Simba that he killed Mufasa, not Scar. So Simba flees into exile.

The Lion King really benefits from the larger screen. Its lavish landscapes will be able to capture you more, and you can really savor the animation. Disney didn't need any humans, so they could spend all of the time on a great story and lush landscapes. In fact, its camera movement was so majestic that you actually felt like you were part of the pride of lions.

The music boomed and really created the atmosphere. Although I had seen this picture before, I still was tense because of the way the music played out. Most of the time, I would just roll my eyes at the attempt to make me nervous. But Hans Zimmer's music really bowled me over and made my heart do calisthenics. Unlike such new Disney pics like Lilo and Stitch, the songs actually did some good. They took you out of a somewhat dreary mood and put a smile on your face and made your feet want to tap along. There were only a few, but they were very entertaining. And the Circle of Life song at the beginning was beautiful, with its perfect pictures and perfect sound.

I really like James Earl Jones (he's pretty diverse), and this time was no exception. He seemed to act like he didn't want to do this role, but he couldn't contain his excitement for wanting to do voice-overs again (he had done some work in The Simpsons before). Matthew Broderick redeemed himself for me (after the atrocious Ferris Bueller's Day Off) by showing a strong voicing as the adult Simba. Cheech Marin, Whoopi Goldberg, and Jim Cummings really had good chemistry together, even though they didn't have much screen time. Irons was really good and creepy as Scar (one of those who you can't help but hate), and if that is him really singing, brava!

Be warned, The Lion King isn't really for youngsters. It had intense thematic elements that should have warranted a PG, instead of those that don't deserve it (Lilo and Stitch, again). The mood that the music and the script brought out could damper your day, so be warned.

This is one movie where you can feel for the characters. You don't say `haha, he's dead', you say `Gasp! I'm so sad!' If it weren't for the gifted scriptwriters, this movie would be kaput and a nothing, not the best Disney movie ever made.

The Lion King is a majestic movie, not without humor, that is for almost all to see.

My rating: 9/10

Rated G for intense thematic elements.

this movie is great!!

Author: robineve from Canada
17 November 2005

I think think this film is excellent and nothing can ever relate to it. I will love this movie my whole life i know i will!! Its great :)

The music, the sounds, the characters,the whole movie is great. Its definitely great for kids and it always will be this movie will never grow old. People will still like it when they are 60+. I bet there are people sixty and over who do love this movie.. I am glad that i grew up with this movie its great and i just have to say fare play to the directer i love it!!! I am happy i found this sight i think it is great it give the public a chance to see how there favorite movie is rated by people all over the world. And i think it is excellent the public is aloud to vote!

Page 1 of 56:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]