IMDb > Legends of the Fall (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Legends of the Fall

Legends of the Fall More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Moved me like no film I've seen in a long damn time!

Author: epat from Tokyo
23 March 2004

I watch a lot of movies & I can't remember the last time a film held me so spellbound. Not only are the characters engaging & vividly portrayed by an excellent cast, the subtle dynamics of their interactions are portrayed with inspired undertone & nuance. Star billing or even an Oscar should also have been awarded to the spectacularly beautiful scenery of Montana for the vast majesty it bestowed.

This complex saga of love, grief & loyalty is narrated with stark simplicity by old Stab, long-time friend to retired Colonel Ludlow & his 3 sons: staid Alfred, the eldest ("old even for his years"); idealistic Samuel, the youngest ("There was nothing these brothers would not do for him."); & wild Tristan ("Such people become crazy or they become legends."). The conflict between Ludlow's fiercely anti-government anti-war stance & his sons' determination to do what they see as their duty is but a small part of the story; the heart of the tale is the rift that threatens the mutual devotion of these 3 loyal brothers as they all come to love the same woman. "She was not to blame," Stab tells us, "She was like the ice that freezes in the rock and splits it apart."

A tragic tale, yes; heartbreaking at times, but never boring. Every time I felt certain I knew what was coming next, the plot took another unexpected turn & I sat there riveted, softly breathing "Wow!" now & again into the darkness. This film immediately became one of my all-time favorites; I've watched it half a dozen times since then & its scope & power never fail to move me.

I am a sucker...

Author: Jonas Lindelöf from Stockholm
11 August 2003

...but I must admit that I loved Legends of the fall. I understand that some people think it's corny and too romantic but if you like epic dramas this is the movie for you.

Reasons to see the movie: - Great acting. Anthony Hopkins makes a classic role as the US army officer gone anarchist father. Brad Pitt is perfect in the role as the wild one with an indian "stepfather". Aidan Quinn makes another great performance, and Julia Ormond is very good as the (tragic) woman they all long for. - The scenery. Magic. I want to have a farm in Montana! - The camera work. - The story. I guess I am a sucker for epic dramas. - A number of very, very good scenes. - The movie is a kick in the nuts to "civilized life" and state affairs. - The anarchistic attitude. - The character Tristan Ludlow. - The character William Ludlow. - The emotional ride.

Reasons to NOT see the movie: - You will be called a pathetic romantic if you like it. And you will most probably like it...

My favorite movie of ALL TIME

Author: lmartinez82 from medford, or
5 July 2003

The raw passion of this movie is enough to make any serious movie enthusiast weep. I honestly can't believe this movie was not nominated for about 8 or 10 Academy awards. It also baffles me that some people think this was Anthony Hopkins worst portrayal. He was absolutely brilliant in this, as was Brad Pitt. THIS was the movie that made me take a look at Pitt and see that he's more than just a pretty face. After watching this, he became, and is still to this day, my favorite actor. In this movie he was rustic, yet thoughtful. He was strong and vulnerable. He had a great love for family(especially his father) and for a woman he knew should not be his. This film a true epic with history, talent, superior cinematography, and most of all(and what many movies of today lack).. closure.

Watch and wonder

wonderful movie

Author: brianna
23 June 1999

I can't believe the bad reviews Legends of the Fall got when it was released. This would have to be one of the best movies around. Everything from the acting to the directing was brilliant and the scenery was breathtaking.

Anthony Hopkins gave another knockout performance as Colonel Ludlow and Brad Pitt was brilliant as Tristan.Aidan Quinn, Henry Thomas and Julia Ormond were perfectly cast as Alfred, Samuel and Susanna.

The one thing I liked most about this movie was the ending - which I won't spoil. It is rare when watching a movie, you cannot pick the ending. The ending to this movie was so amazing, and the fact that it wasn't obvious what was going to happen made this movie more enjoyable.

James Horner is a master. Just like he did with Titanic, the score for Legends of the Fall took the movie to another level.

Great drama taking place before, during and after World War I

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
19 May 2004

Normally love dramas don't interest me, since I find them boring and predictable. This film, while being more than "just" a good love drama, really impressed me. Many of the scenes are quite visually beautiful, some in cinematography, others in content. As a love drama, it's moving, and at times almost poetically beautiful. It involves three men, brothers, who are all in love with the same woman. She has a relationship with each of them, but ultimately realizes that she only loves one of them. The plot is very good, and evolves at the right pace for this type of story. Not terribly fast, but never stands still either. The actors all portray their respective characters well, nearly all of them giving a perfect performance. Anthony Hopkins is great, as always. There was not really anything in this movie that disappointed me. The ending scene involves some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. There is a very emotional scene near the end which is also one of the most visually beautiful I've ever seen in a movie. I recommend this to most fans of love dramas, and, to a lesser extent, fans of war dramas. 8/10

Well what can I say...

Author: ashgirl23
24 October 2003

I absolutely loved the movie, it's the second time I'm seeing it and I'm glad I did, because I love epic dramas...and this one well, not only did it have a great and an original storyline, it had a great cast also. But my favorite had to be Brad Pitt, his performance was engaging and I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, because I simply was fascinated by the way the story was constructed. I've read a few comments made here...and this film is everything but predictable. It has so many twists and turns that it just keeps you wondering until the end...where you feel like you've watched the film to its fullest and there's no more stories left untold, that's what I look for in a good film. Even though the story was tragic, it was a story of love, loyalty and family. I give it a 9/10...if you haven't seen this movie yet...SEE IT! You'll love it, even if you don't fancy Brad Pitt.

The best film i have ever seen..

Author: Dave Fisher (fisher_david@yahoo.com) from Northamptonshire, England
22 April 2000

Dispite some of the reviews, i think this film is one of the best ever made. i have seen it a hundred times. the sweeping score, the Montana backdrop and the plot are just some of the things that make this film great. i would recommend everyone to see, although not everyone will like what they see as it requires a certain taste. 11/10

Epic journey through wonders of life

Author: (maxcasanova1@hotmail.com) from Norway
4 November 2005

There are many things you can say about this movie. Many people would say it's both full of clichés and too dramatic plot(s). But I have never caught the point in these kind of critics. If a story is a bit used up and filled with clichés, why does it have to be mocked? Such films as Pearl Harbor, Titanic etc., are a bit over the top, but I honestly think that Legends of the Fall contains so many qualities that it deserve the credit it deserves. All along the film, we follow the life and times of the Ludlow family living in Northern USA in the late 1800's and early 1900's. It is always well balanced between ingeniousness and cliché. Just a few times this line is crossed (thereby 9, not 10 points), and in the end, you're left with a good feeling, 'cause this is really a "feel-good movie". If romance, action and intrigues are your thing, I can absolutely recommend this, 'cause every time I see it I'm deeply touched.

A wonderful, emotional melodrama

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
21 April 2000

A really good film. Basically a melodrama. Repeat, MELOdrama. Hollywood used to churn out this sort of film all the time with no apologies. OK, many of them seem corny now, but why do people think that every movie made has to be stark realism?

I was tremendously impressed with Brad Pitt's performance. (I'm a guy, so I mean that, and am not swooning over his looks). I had never seen him in anything before, and had barely heard of him. Anthony Hopkins was, as always, fantastic. In fact every single actor hit every single note with the possible exception of Henry Thomas. One of Aidan Quinn's best films, also. The photography of Alberta is magnificent, and I think no one can begrudge LOTF its cinematography Oscar.

The film makers have an excuse for the occasional credibility lapse, in that there is a story frame, the recollections of One Stab, the old Cree. This covers things like Susannah falling for Samuel, who seemed to be an empty suit, Tristan keeping his long hair while in the British Army, etc. Excellent performance by Gordon Tootoosis, by the way, although his manner of speaking is very reminiscent of Chief Dan George.

I highly recommend this film, if you can watch it without trying to dislike it.

One of the worst movies of the decade!

Author: Juliator from Boston, Mass, US
4 May 1999

I couldn't know where to start!

I found just about every aspect of the movie poor and deplorable (except for a superb cinematography, to be fair). The acting is quite pathetic and embarrassing at times. The whole movie seems to gravitate towards beautiful poses of Brad Pitt with the sunshine through his hair and the wonderful Montana woods in the background, like in a bad shampoo commercial.

The character played by Julia Ormond is simply unbelievable! She is supposed to be in the 1910s, yet she behaves like a very promiscuous 90s woman. If the movie had any grasp on historical realism, this woman should have been ostracized from society, end up as an outcast. Instead, she jumps from bed to bed in her fiancee's house like there's no tomorrow, and nobody seems to be bothered about it!

The screenwriters add some characters to the story for the sole purpose to be killed and make our "heroes" look sad and puppy-eyed. Literally! Otherwise someone please explain to me the character of Isabel in the movie. She doesn't even have two decent lines in the script!

The worst element of the movie was the incredible amount of historical mistakes or anachronisms. There were too many to let you concentrate in this excuse for a plot. I'm a great enthusiast of movies that try to reflect an era, and pay lots of attention to every detail. The erroneous details were so numerous that I would burst in laughter at times. And this movie was made by the director of a movie like "Glory"! From the way they talk, to their apparel, to the tools they use, to every other detail, the movie as bad as "Titanic" as far as historical accuracy is concerned.

To illustrate with an example, at a point in the movie Susannah -Julia Ormond- pulls a portable photo reflex-camera on a tripod and takes idyllic pictures of the brothers in the Montana landscape... They are supposed to be in the 1910s-1920s! Cameras were as big as a TV set! And portable reflex cameras were not available as consumer products until the 1950s! Anyone that knows a bit about photography probably caught that major goof!

The movie is so plagued with goofs that makes it difficult for a serious movie-goer to concentrate on the story. I guess they really made the movie with one thing in mind: milking the cash out of those teenage fans of Brad! There's no other explanation for this awful flick.

Please avoid this movie at all costs if you don't like 3 hour- long shampoo commercials with very, very bad plots. You have been warned... unless of course you are a hardcore fan of Brad.

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]