IMDb > Junior (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Junior

Junior More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

It's just a continuously strange viewing experience

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
5 January 2015

Movies can be categorized into several different groups (and not just by genre). This can be based on the kind of viewing experience it gives its audience. As for this movie, it is difficult to classify where this male version of a "chick flick" should be placed. It is quite honestly one of the most oddest oddballs anyone could watch. This is mostly due to the case because the concept overall was new (for its time) and sounded good on paper. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean it would look good in real life. So in order to make this happen without it having coming across as a freak show, director Ivan Reitman turned it into a comedy. Yet somehow, this did not make it any less bewildering of a production. The entire running time is just weird.

Dr. Larry Arbogast (Danny DeVito) convinces his cohort Dr. Alex Hesse (Arnold Schwarzenegger) to test himself as a human lab rat for a pregnancy test after the two are fired from the University they work for by Noah Banes (Frank Langella). Replacing the two doctors is the young and beautiful Dr. Diana Reddin (Emma Thompson) who soon joins the confusion and nonsense that erupts. For its writing, credit must be given for being ambitious. It also brings up a couple of good points about what it's like to be a mom and the side effects of being pregnant. These kinds of notions are demonstrated through Arnold who goes through all these definitive moments (that's next to be contended to). Along with that is Emma Thompson's character who at least sheds some light on the struggles that women go through that men would certainly not understand (even in Arnold's case). Setting this to the side, the rest of the story is just DeVito and Schwarzenegger telling lies in order to hold over the experiment. A very silly pot-boiler plot and it shows because the two writers behind this, Kevin Wade and Chris Conrad did not really have enough experience to produce a screenplay with decent quality.

As a comedy, it's not strong. DeVito, the funnyman, only has a few quips that are noteworthy. The best is when he's discovered of lying. Arnold only had one funny moment and that's when he yells like a man instead of acting like a woman and its only funny because of the doofy face he has at the time. In fact, this film actually makes the female actors like Emma Thompson and Pamela Reed (Dr. Arbogast's ex) funnier than the male actors. This is because they are actual females and don't need to act like a woman. I don't know, it's just outlandish seeing action man Arnold Schwarzenegger acting like a woman in drag. It doesn't feel right and it's more of a put-off than anything else. But who knew, in 2007 Thomas Beattie the first man (who was originally a woman) would actually become pregnant. And that was no comedy. Even Christopher Meloni from Law & Order: SVU has a more natural role in this story. But I digress.

The rest of the components to the film aren't that great either. Cinematography provided by Adam Greenberg who shot for other megahit movies like The Terminator (1984) and Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) goes all out wishy-washy this time. There's nothing really interesting to look at here other than the occasional bright and feminine colors that appear in the usual maternity rooms. The practical effects are OK but are immediately ruined when the special effects kick in and it is very noticeable. As clear as day, and looking back on it, it looks underdeveloped. As for music, arranged by James Newton Howard, the tracks do work with the softer more emotional moments but for the comedic moments it doesn't. Howard's music is somewhat of the reversal of the contemporary styles of Christopher Lennertz's music, where he can maintain the comedic notes but not much of any emotional ones.

This feature is an irregular mix of comedy, drama and romance it only works in a few places. The female actresses are funnier than the male actors are and watching Arnold Schwarzenegger become a mom is not the most enlightening experience or the most realistic one.

How to Impregnate Arnold Schwarzenegger

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
31 January 2014

In an incredibly stupid opening, body-building gynecologist Arnold Schwarzenegger (as Alexander "Alex" Hess) caries a urinating baby around the library. Thankfully, this is only a wet dream and the film gets better; it helps to lower expectations...

When their fertility drug "Expectane" is rejected by the FDA (the US regulatory Food and Drug Administration), Mr. Schwarzenegger and doctoral pal Danny DeVito (as Lawrence "Larry" Arbogast) decide to continue testing. This becomes difficult as Schwarzenegger is replaced at work by klutzy doctor Emma Thompson (as Diana Reddin). She's single and attractive, though. Due to the loss of laboratory chimps, Schwarzenegger is selected to become pregnant. The muscularly masculine doctor is implanted with a fertilized egg, which both Schwarzenegger and Mr. DeVito expect will be temporary. However, Schwarzenegger starts to develop motherly feelings for his baby...

In a somewhat parallel plot, Mr. DeVito's ex-wife Pamela Reed (as Angela) has just been impregnated by an "Aerosmith" band member or associate...

"Junior" cleverly skirts scientific implausibility. It throws out medical terms here and there, without really explaining anything. Although a "test tube" would be preferable, they plot to plant a fertilized human egg into a man's body. Unexplained is how this experiment will help a female pregnancy – but, perhaps a rising tide lifts all boats. The drug may even be able to prevent the fetus from killing its male host body. Even without a womb, Schwarzenegger is a tough guy. By being vague, this script works. The situation comedy is carried mostly by Schwarzenegger's predicament, with producer-director Ivan Reitman and his crew delivering the goods. However, the story always only goes for the most obvious humor; when it approaches any sort of depth, "Junior" stops short. It's skillfully produced, but steadfastly refuses to take any real chances with the material. In featured roles, Frank Langella and Judy Collins are employed well.

****** Junior (11/23/94) Ivan Reitman ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito, Emma Thompson, Pamela Reed

Utter nonsense but not that bad

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
2 August 2013

Built on a bedrock of hard science and a sound what if? premise, Ivan Reitman's thoughtful film is... Oh, all right, 'Junior' is high concept nonsense, but it's somehow better than I expected it to be.

A surprisingly decent (honest) Arnold Schwarzenegger is a scientist (stay with me here) who, along with partner Danny DeVito (it's only a film) has developed a drug to prevent miscarriages. With you so far, movie. But their funding is cut and Arnie has no choice but to test the drug on himself - by getting pregnant. So that's the premise, then.

Nothing truly unexpected happens and Emma Thompson is annoying but it's all fairly enjoyable for some reason. I can't quite figure it out.

The greatest film of all time? Very possibly...

Author: sandy-384 from United Kingdom
12 September 2007

Artist Sandy Smith has declared Junior to be the greatest film of all time, and even commissioned a 3000 word essay to prove this point. I will quote from the conclusion of this: "In conclusion, this brief would argue that the film is indeed a pioneering work, but has not been termed as such for the simple reason that the piece has not been viewed in the correct context. Instead, the brief argues that Junior is not a "one joke movie", but is instead a film that, at the time of release, was pioneering new film-making ideals by addressing elements of non-places and banality, without falling into the trap of making the film itself a banal non-entity. This, coupled with the social commentary the film provides on a subject that applies significantly to almost every viewer in some manner or another, makes Junior not only a monumental work, but one which could be termed as one of the greatest films of all time. " If you have not already seen the film, you should read this full essay first and then watch it. If you have, then read the essay and watch it again anyway. This film is a classic piece of mid 90's family film making, and if you read the essay on the film you will never look at it in the same way again.

The full essay can be downloaded from www.juniorbestfilmever.com, You can also win £600 ($1200) there if you can write a better essay than the one he commissioned.

Misconceived

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
1 June 2015

JUNIOR is a contender for Arnold Schwarzenegger's worst film, a spectacularly ill-conceived comedy in which the action star plays a research scientist who falls pregnant thanks to some pioneering treatment. It's the third teaming for the star and director Ivan Reitman, following on from TWINS and KINDERGARTEN COP, and it's a stuttering misfire from the start.

First off, I have to say that the subject matter doesn't really lend itself to comedy. There are some jokes here, many of them obvious, but for a lot of the running time the film adopts a mawkish and sentimental tone which doesn't make for a very enjoyable viewing experience. There are also HUGE plot holes surrounding the male pregnancy, such as the film not explaining how the baby grows in Schwarzenegger's stomach without an umbilical cord.

The worst thing about the story is the script, which is threadbare in the extreme. Characters like the shoe-horned in villain played by Frank Langella are lame and just a way to clutter up the running time. The acting is pretty bad, particularly in the case of the excruciating Emma Thompson, whose attempts at 'slapstick' humour fall flat time and time again. I could hardly bear to watch her in this. Schwarzenegger himself is wooden, playing an unlikeable character, and the only decent performance comes from Danny DeVito. Sadly his presence alone isn't enough to make this anywhere near a good movie.

Arnolds a mother

Author: saint405 from United States
12 July 2005

Junior is a weird comedy about a man named Dr. Hesse who injects an amniotic egg into his stomach with the help of his friend Dr. Abrogast to test a new baby drug so he can become pregnant. What Hesse doesn't know is that Abrogast stole the egg that was ejected from and stored away by a new doctor named Diana Reddin. But when Hesse goes into labor, an evil Professor is going to try to make the biggest news story ever about a pregnant man so he can get rich! My first impression on Junior: really sappy! Arnold makes one of his worst performances as Dr. Hesse who first seems like a baby hater but turns out to be a drug maker for baby eggs. The danger prone Dr. Reddin is a lame love interest and the slime ball villain Dr. Banes is a total pussycat. The only real good performance is brought to us by Danny DeVito as Larry Arbogast, he gave a good social comical performance as a baby doctor who cares for his work and does anything on his own terms. Now the story is crazy and the sequences just keep skipping possible moments that can make the movie interesting! It goes from Hesse finding out the egg is planted and he is pregnant to two weeks later, then ten week, then three months! And the jokes are not funny! Arnold dressing up as a woman to be safe from Dr. Banes is not funny, Larry's ex-wife getting pregnant from a person part of Aerosmith is not funny, the danger prone Dr. Reddin is not funny. This film is so sappy and it's loaded with pregnancy jokes that involves Arnold being a glut eating, saying he got cramps, getting a big stomach, buying larger clothes, being radiant and happy...Arnold you fool! Junior gets the 4, a sappy film that is just to low to enjoy. Good for people who like to listen about pregnancy or if you just want to catch a few winks of sleep.

Basically, when it all comes down to it, there is nothing particularly special about `Junior.' Sadly, we've seen it all before. And I LIKE Arnie, so it's got to be true coming from me!

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
7 March 2003

Arnold Schwarzenegger had already stretched his funny bone when `Junior' came out in 1994. He had made a little film with Danny DeVito named `Twins,' and a sweet-natured comedy called `Kindergarten Cop.' And let's not forget his very first film, `Hercules in New York,' a.k.a. `Hercules Goes Bananas,' which would have fit the title much better.

But `Junior' is, by far, the worst comedy Schwarzenegger has starred in. Well, it's a close tie between `Jingle All the Way.'

Schwarzenegger plays a doctor who takes some top-secret medication, which makes him pregnant. Arnie pregnant. I wouldn't want to be there when the contractions kick in.

DeVito plays the doctor who helps keep it under wraps. Basically, the whole comedy blunders around doing nothing slowly. It had a lot of potential even with its ridiculous plot, but they just couldn't pull it off. They spend too much time doing nothing, including a scene with DeVito and Schwarzenegger talking about how DeVito's girlfriend ran off and had a child with an Aerosmith band member. So we really need specifics?

But that doesn't keep the mandatory one-liners from coming. I was waiting for Arnie to be in the throes of labor. I can see him being pulled back on top of a medical cot. And then he turns to Danny DeVito and says, `I'll be back!' Too bad they didn't use that one. It would have been good.

The funniest line in the film? `This is my body! I'll do whatever I want!' Classic Arnie.

Basically, when it all comes down to it, there is nothing particularly special about `Junior.' Sadly, we've seen it all before. Well, actually, I really haven't seen a movie about a pregnant man before, but `Junior' still isn't as good as it could have been. And should have been.

Good actors. Decent premise. Bad movie.

Tough Call !!!

Author: rjhey from England
4 April 2003

Its weird but at the same time funny. So its hard to say whether this movie stinks or its good. So its a tough call. Its got a good set of actors, its got an okay story line, but its just plain WEIRD ! I think it depends on the person who is watching it. If their idea of fun was watching Arnold Schwarzenegger go through morning sickness then they would love the film but otherwise people might just hate it to bits.

Great movie

Author: petiteandbeautiful2 from United States
29 August 2002

I love the movie, it's one of my favorite out of the other Arnold Schwarzenegger movies I've seen. I think that "Junior" is a hilarious movie, and a great one too! Arnold is a great actor, I mean all on his other movies, he played like a macho role, but in "Junior", he played kind of like a feminine role. This movie is so funny that I watch it over and over, because it's a GREAT movie!!

The greatest movie I've ever seen

Author: petiteandbeautiful2 from United States
29 August 2002

I love the movie, it's one of my favorite out of the other Arnold Schwarzenegger movies I've seen. I think that "Junior" is a hilarious movie, and a good one too! Arnold is a great actor, I mean all on his other movies, he played like a macho role, but in "Junior", he played kind of like a feminine role. This movie is so funny that I watch it over and over, because it's a GREAT movie!!

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]