IMDb > Junior (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Silly but fun

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
4 January 2002

Arnold Schwarzenegger gets pregnant. That's about it. The premise is ridiculous, the twists and turns in the plot are mind-bogglingly stupid and every joke is predictable and hammered at you--but I still like this film! The script does have it's moments, but the performances really carry this one.

Arnie is suprisingly very funny when he becomes pregnant (when asks DeVito in all seriousness "Does my body disgust you?" I broke up); DeVito is just along for the ride but is good--he's the straight man to Arnie; Emma Thompson is just gorgeous, very funny and full of life as a clumsy scientist. Also Judy Collins (yes, the singer) pops up looking radiant as the head of a center for pregnant women. Everything looks wonderful and the film is slickly made to cater the the audience. I usually hate films like that, but this worked. The only bad part is Pamela Reed--she's a wonderful actress and comediene but she's shamefully underused--she doesn't get any good funny scenes till the end. Also, where else will you see Arnie in a dress?

It's a one joke film. Is it a good film? No. Do I like it? Very much. Call it a guilty favorite.

One complaint--at 2 hours it's too long. Couldn't it have been trimmed a little?

Funnier than you might think, worth the rental!

Author: Mark Severin (meseverin@worldnet.att.net)
10 January 1999

Arnold Schwarzenegger as a scientist who makes himself pregnant? The premise is pretty funny, even if the idea of Ah-nold in a comedy makes one suspicious. I thought "Twins" was awful, and "Conan" a comedy by accident. "Kindergarten Cop" was better because Schwarzenegger was mostly a straight man. Here he is called on to act the part of a pregnant man opposite Danny DeVito and Emma Thompson. While it is not an Oscar calibre performance, he gets the job done.

The story is reasonably simple. DeVito (a fertility specialist) and Schwarzenegger (a scientist) are partners working on a new miracle fertility drug. Their project gets canceled by the University and replaced by an ovarian study under the direction of Emma Thompson. They decide to implant an embryo in Schwarzenegger and continue the study illegally. They steal an egg from Thompson's ovarian study and the stage is set. Of course, the egg is Thompson's and she and Schwarzenegger are attracted to each other.

Ivan Reitman does a very good job with the story, keeping it simple and staying focused on the characters. Had he spent a lot of time focusing on the physical comedy, the film would have failed. Instead we get to watch the ultimate "macho" figure take on the ultimate "female" experience. The contrast keeps the comedy rolling, while the characters carry the film.

It is hardly a profound film, although it is intelligently written. The issues raised rely on simple male vs. female differences and the contrast of Schwarzenegger's image with this role is used to full effect. It's an enjoyable film with strong performances by Thompson and DeVito.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Has Battled Every Monster and Machine Known to Man. But is He Man Enough to Be Pregnant?

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
2 March 2005

Dr. Alex Hesse works at Leland University with his colleague, Dr. Larry Arbogast. They are developing a new, experimental drug, Expectane, that will ensure pregnancies. So far they've been testing on chimps, but now they want to test it on humans. They meet with the FDA, who turns them down. Alex decided it was time to leave the university, so he packed up his things and left, just as his replacement, Dr. Diana Reddin, arrived. She was smart and beautiful, but very clumsy. Alex wanted to go back home to Europe, but Larry Arbogast wanted to continue experimentation with Expectane.He wanted to try it on, not a female specimen, but a male! He had Alex in mind. Alex declined, but Larry continued to plead with him, so finally he gave in. Larry "borrowed" a frozen egg from Dr. Reddin's cryogenics freezer, mixed in some Expectane and injected them into Alex. Then they perform a test and...Alex was pregnant! Alex stayed with Larry and continued to take Expectane daily. He even went back to work at the university. Right away Diana could tell something was up by the way Alex began throwing up and experiencing cramps. He even had a nightmare about what his baby would look like.

One week later, Larry and Alex go out to dinner, and while Larry strikes a deal with Lyndon Pharmacuticals about marketing Expectane, Alex met Diana, and they dance. On the way home, Alex was seriously wondering what his baby would be like. This rush of hormones began to annoy Larry so he demanded that Alex stop taking Expectane and the embryo inside him would just absorb into his body. Alex didn't want to stop because he really wanted to see his baby, whom he called Junior. So he continued to take Expectane regularly. Ten weeks later, Alex's birthday, he was beginning to show. Larry found out and was not pleased, but he let Alex stay with him again. All the while, the head science professor, Noah Banes, grew suspicious because even though he had the Expectane project shut down, it was still being experimented with; One afternoon while Larry went to the lab, Alex stayed home. Diana suddenly dropped by because she wanted to see him, but acted like she was dropping off a file. Alex, with his rushing hormones tried moving in on Diana, until Larry's ex-wife, Angela, who was also pregnant stopped by. She wanted Larry to treat her, even though he was reluctant to do so. Alex begins living like any other pregnant man and scarfs down a monstrous dinner with Angela. Unfortunately, Larry was not the father of Angela's unborn baby, it was a member of Aerosmith. Boy was Larry Hurt; Noah Banes decided to pay Alex and Larry a visit one afternoon and while snooping around the house, he found their stockpile of Expectane so he thought they had used it to impregnate a woman. Boy was he wrong!

Alex soon finds out that the egg he was injected with had actually been Diana's. She had named it Junior too! When Alex went to the university to tell Diana what has been happening, Banes got a good look at Alex, who was really showing now, and realized it hadn't been a woman they were experimenting on after all. Well, Alex told Diana that the baby inside him was actually THEIRS and, well, she didn't take it too well. That's when Banes burst in and threatened to exploit Alex and his pregnancy. He responded by tossing Banes into a rack of beakers and ran. Larry takes Alex somewhere to hide out for a while. They go to Casitas Madres, a health resort for pregnant women, then Larry leaves for Canada to negotiate with the Lyndon people. Alex tried fitting in among the other pregnant women ala Mrs. Doubtfire. But then, one fateful day, Alex, who has now been pregnant seven months, began to feel...Contractions! Larry called to check in and was told what was up so he dashed home. Diana, who had finally forgiven Alex, also raced over to help. Larry, Alex and Diana race to the hospital where Banes had set up a media circus. There was Paparazzi everywhere. Larry had a plan, so while Alex and Diana sneaked around back, Larry entered the hospital with Angela. With no pregnant man to see, Banes became a laughing stock. He also became unemployed; In the operating room, Dr. Snellin, Louise, and Larry all performed a C-section on Alex and...Before long, the blessed event took place and Alex was a father! Angela also gave birth that night and she proclaimed Larry the honorary father. Well, from then on, our new fathers and new mothers all lived happily ever after.

What can I say about Junior? It was a good movie. Arnold Schwarzenegger was good. He is reunited with his co-star from Twins, Danny DeVito and his co-star from Kindergarten Cop, Pamela Reed. Also here is Emma Thompson. Everybody was good in their parts. Sure the movie may be absurd and bizarre at times, I mean when you hear about a pregnant man, you're bound to expect craziness. I wonder if something like that could ever be attempted in real life. But then men having babies would be a lot more trouble than with women. It's the natural order of things I guess, but anyway, if you like Arnold Schwarzenegger (the governor of my state) and Danny DeVito then I recommend Junior, and Twins. See them both! If you've ever wondered what it would be like to see Schwarzenegger pregnant, this is the movie to see it in! I recommend Junior!

Gotta love Shwartzie da Mom!

Author: raduluc from Ottawa, Canada
11 May 2001

Wonderfully light comedy based on a fantastic fiction about a researcher who gets himself pregnant for the sake of Science and Glory, but goes through the nine months for the sake of Motherhood and Baby. There are plenty of plot boo-boos, but the movie is tongue-in-the-cheek throughout, so maybe the boo-boos are meant that way... Anyway, if you don't mind the occasional sexist cliche, and if you want to see Mister (Hollywood) Universe in the charming role of a peaceable pregnant researcher, this movie packs two hours of hearty laughter. In the whole movie, Arnold sends flying only one man, once - the only bad guy in the movie.

Medically conceivable comedy about male pregnancy

Author: Jesse G Hafer Jr MD (jghafer@aol.com) from Longmeadow MA USA
6 March 1999

Delighful piece of fluff concerning male pregnancy and the effect of hormones on one's personality and entire outlook on life. Arnold is a dedicated research scientist who volunteers his own body for scientific research at the urging of a more money-motivated physician (Danny DeVito). His evolution into a typical maternal figure under large doses of hormones and an experimental medication provides lots of opportunity for comedy and some real poignant vignettes. Frank Langella's character as dean of the university sponsoring the research is a bit over-done and becomes annoying. Emma Thompson plays lonely research scientist attracted to Arnold who becomes much more involved than she originally intended.

Actually a pretty funny Arnie movie!

Author: Mark Pytel from Hoffman Estates, Illinois, USA
19 November 2000

The first time I saw this I was like "ok, that is kinda strange", but this movie gets better every time you see it. There are some funny parts in this movie especially where arnie is in the dress! I wanted to see this, because I really liked Twins and Junior also stars Danny De Vito so it was like a reunion. If you liked Twins I think you will like this too. Ivan Reitman is a pretty good director. i don't think he has made a movie that I haven't liked. If you want a good laugh then go out and rent this arnie movie today. It is not as bad as you have heard from others. 8.5/10

Very strange, but funny

Author: Cool_Dude (sherman.vet@snet.net) from CT, USA
9 November 2000

This film is one of the strangest films I've ever seen, and I've seen some pretty strange movies (Attack of the Killer Banana anyone?). Although extremely strange, it's funny, in only a way the director of Ghostbusters could make it. Arnold's explanation of why he's so ugly in drag is hilarious. Emma Thompson gives a particuarly good role by Danny DeVito. Worth a rental, if not a buy.

Great fun movie

Author: cynar1000 from United States
25 January 2006

My daughters love this movie and I've watched it with them over 100 times. OK, that is excessive and probably unwarranted. But I've really grown to appreciate it. The acting from DeVito, Frank Langella, Pamella Reed and Emma Thompson is great. No scene or action is unnecessary. The scene where Arnold and Pamella are pigging out, cocktail weenies, struedelhounds, DeVito's reaction to "feel how soft my skin is" many more, are hilarious. Arnold is stiff as usual, but he's able to show a convincing transformation. They almost make the premise believable. Bono's rendition of "Got You Under My Skin" at the closing credits is my only fault with the movie.

weird

Author: (ztanlines) from United States
25 July 2005

This is a very Clinton-era movie. Which is to say, if many conservatives believe that homosexuality is destroying the family unit or whatever I don't know what they'd think about this.

As many people have said, overall this movie is just kind of creepy. I was expecting a stupid comedy where Arnold accidentally gets knocked-up and wacky hi-jinx ensue. Instead, I got a very touchy-feely movie about the ultimate way for a man to embrace his feminine side. With a smarter script and different casting, this could have actually worked, but instead the filmmakers try to make this subject standard box-office fare, which it's not. The result is the most unintentionally creepy romantic comedy ever. The scene where Arnold dreams of a baby with his face stands out in my mind as spectacularly nightmare-inducing. If that all sounds appealing to you, have fun!

Weird how people react to this movie and apple pie

Author: Joyce Hauchart from Belgium
15 December 2000

When reading the comments I saw lots of pro's and lots of contras. But the comments are quite strong so it is worth reading them carefully.

Then again, what does it mean, some people like apple pies, some don't.

I watched this movie on TV, there was nothing better to watch, and at first I thought this is crazy I have ten 4-starred videos that I can watch tonight, but I stayed on.

It's just a bit of fun. I also wanted to see the combination Schwarzenegger - Thompson, which really works. Add De Vito and you're in for 3/4ths of an apple pie. Add Reitman and you have a complete apple pie.

The cream on top is not provided, mainly because the antagonist, the evil guy at the University does not work.

I don't think it's worth a rental, certainly not a buy, but better than Prozac.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]