IMDb > It's Pat: The Movie (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

surprisingly mean-spirited and unfunny

Author: ithearod
7 November 2005

I actually liked the sketch "Pat" on SNL. It was a fresh idea - honestly, how many other "andrognenous character-sketch" routines can you name? It had its limitations, and it sure as hell could have been pushed past the "Pat almost reveals his/her gender but then doesn't" joke that seems to have been the limit of its humor.

So when there was a movie, I thought, "Hey, they're finally going to push the character beyond the one-joke limit. I like Pat, sure, I'll like the movie!" Well, I was stunned at how ineptly and poorly executed the whole thing was. The Pat character is immediately portrayed as boorish, intrusive, insensitive, and a host of other undesirable characteristics. Who decided this is what Pat was about? Who thought this would be funny? And how does this relate to the SNL character, anyway? I see no resemblance at all.

Even Dave Foley, whom I love and who is well-known for his excellence at portraying long-suffering comic characters, cannot soften the unrelenting ugliness that Pat exudes. In addition, I really think they took the low road with the "Chris" character. Of all the androgynous names they could have chosen (Terry, Bobby, Sam, the list is long), "Chris" is so boring! And the style of androgyny that was chosen, "70's-esque flower child", complete with page-boy haircut, while certainly complimenting Pat's dowdiness, was just one more joke with a very short lifespan.

By the time you finally realize the ugly boorishness that Pat is all about is not going to be a short-lived bit, but is instead the main (and only) joke, and that you will get no reprieve at all, ever, through the entire film, it will be too late. You will have suffered through the whole film, with very few laughs, and entirely missed out on a "naive-but-loveable-doofus" version of Pat, that you might have expected to get.

A misunderstood comedy

Author: ncriggar from At bar drinking with Zap
3 February 2005

This is definitely one of the most misunderstood comedies of all time. I believe that people wen't into the theater with the intention of laughing their behinds off. I know I did, I mean after all, this was a great skit on "Saturday Night Live" wasn't it? Unfortunately the answer is that it wasn't a funny enough skit on SNL to actually be considered reasonably for use as a full-length feature. Therefore, I must re-state that this film is just totally misunderstood as a comedy film... Probably because it is single-handedly the most mortifying horror movie of all time. Never have I been so scared, so afraid, so frozen in fear. Watch this one, and you'll scream what I did at the top of my lungs during the climax scene: "GOD HELP US ALL!!!!!" 2 out of 10 stars.

The worst movie ever

Author: robertseege from Finland
19 January 2007

I've seen a lot of movies, many good and many bad ones. But trust me on this; this is by far the worst. There is nothing positive I can mention about this movie. Why? Well I'll tell you why; The script is something that should have been thrown in trash, the acting is awful, the jokes are not even a bit funny and the characters are utterly annoying. I would understand if this movie would be a film for kids but with all of the "undeterminable sex" stuff, it's clearly not just for kids. A certain Quentin Tarantino helped out with the script(according to the trivia) and he will be relieved that he chose to be uncredited. It's hard for me to even imagine what types of idiots would do a movie like this or even worse find it funny. This is as I mentioned earlier the worst movie I've ever watched and therefore I can't recommend it to anyone. In my opinion this should occupy the no. 1 spot in the bottom 100. It's so bad that if you for instance showed it to some monkeys at a zoo, even they would understand how bad this movie actually is and would destroy the TV set after the first five minutes.

If you're going to watch one bad movie this year....

Author: PsYcHoPaTh_X from Camp Crystal Lake
17 May 2003

You might as well skip this one, as it's not worth your time. If I wanted to watch a sexless person's everyday life, I'd revisit my sixth grade boys P.E. teacher. No, my friends, this is a BAD film. Not bad like "Hey! They forgot the ketchup!" bad, more like "Hey! There's pube hair on my hamburger!" bad.

Sensitive and hilarious....NOT!!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
20 June 2012

My wife and I play a game while we go on long road trips. It's called "Name the bad Saturday NIGHT LIVE alumnus film". It's a wonderful game--and far longer than the alternative "Name the good Saturday NIGHT LIVE alumnus film"--as there are practically a bazillion films made by ex-SNL actors which are absolutely wretched. Yet, compared to "It's Pat", even horrible films like "Dr. Detroit", "Neighbors" and "Best Defense" look like Oscar-contenders! Yes, this is my nomination for the absolute WORST of the lot (though I have yet to see "Night at the Roxbury" and "Superstar"). Apparently, I am not alone with this--as currently "It's Pat" is ranked #95 on IMDb's infamous Bottom 100 list.

The biggest problem with "It's Pat" is that the Pat sketches on "SNL" were completely unfunny and annoying. But, like too many of the show's skits, they repeated the stupid thing again and again and again. Think about it...THE joke is that Pat's gender is uncertain. Wow...shallow AND offensive...but also completely unfunny. And, with this movie, a five minute bit on "SNL" is stretched out to full-length movie format! While this problem is more than enough, the film also suffers from bad acting (Ms. Sweeney's characterization is dreadful and the epitome of the expression 'one-note'), bad writing, too much crudity and an offensive storyline. After all, jokes about what's inside Pat's pants abound and become tiresome and gross...and that's only three minutes into the film! After a while, it was so oppressively awful that I had to turn it off (my daughter kept threatening to do bodily harm to me if I didn't). Wretched, unfunny and 100% misguided--who in the world thought this abomination would be worth making in the first place?! I think cancer is funnier (and I've had cancer--so I know what I am talking about)!

possibly the worst movie I have ever seen.

Author: bingo2 from vancouver canada
14 July 2001

No it is the worst movie I have ever seen. I do not know why any television station would even broadcast this drivel. You could use it as a form of torture for those you hate or really really despise. In my opinion all copies should be pulled from circulation and buried in a very deep pit, but then that would be pollutting the earth. I would have given it a MINUS rating, but the poll doesnt go that low.

Oh my God, please nooooo more, argghhhh!!!

Author: adam.lindfield from Dagenham, Essex, England
29 November 1999

Just do not see this, not even to find out how bad it is, this movie is terrible, its annoying, its irritable, its the movie version of chicken pox. DO NOT WATCH THIS, it will taint your love for movies and take away a slice of your life you will never get back. THIS SUCKS!!!!!

It's not THAT bad.

Author: king_eru from United States
30 December 2005

They probably should not have made a feature length film of the "Pat" sketch. They probably should not have even made it a running gag on Saturday Night Live. It should, however, probably be ranked higher on IMDb than Carrot Top's Chairman of the Board. Julia Sweeney is kind of annoying, but Dave Foley is great. What REALLY makes the movie is Charles Rocket's spiral into dementia over the enigma of Pat. That whole bit has me rolling on the floor. And also - Pat plays tuba with Ween! The karaoke scene is hilarious too. This movie is not a 10, but it's definitely not in the bottom 100 of all time. I liked this movie enough to buy it, but I gave it a 5 for a lame premise saved by the co-stars (Foley, Rocket, and Kathy Griffin).

ITS PAThetic

Author: Boyo-2
3 September 2002

This is not worth dignifying with more than a few comments. Its virtually unwatchable but I made it..why, I don't know. Sometimes you want to see a disaster, there's no other explanation.

I enjoyed the skit on SNL. Pat seemed evasive, intentionally, as her sex-as-a-question mark is the whole point of the comedy to begin with. She couldn't directly answer a question that would allude because without that, you don't have anything.

But in the movie, Pat is not only evasive, but self-centered, rude and gets away with it!

So while you are watching a one-dimensional character act like a duchess, ask yourself if its ever gotten as bad as this. 1/10.

Bad, but not the worst movie ever

Author: Jsimpson5 from United States
4 January 2008

Being a fan of SNL and bad movies is an odd mixture of things that I enjoy. Being a fan of older SNL skits, one that always gave me a good laugh was Pat. In order to ride the wave of success that the skit had a movie was made called It's Pat, and while it's not the best film around, it's currently not the worst either.

The skit Pat is about a androgynous person called Pat, who no body is able to tell if Pat is a male or female. Pat would say phrases that would be said specifically by either sex, but would then be canceled out by having Pat say something that would confuse the person further. An example of this would be Sorry if I'm a little grumpy, I have really bad cramps... I rode my bike over here, and my calf muscles are KILLING me!" I will now talk about the film itself. The film starts with the birth of Pat but just like the show we don't know if Pat is a male or female. The entire plot of the film deals with this entire though, "Is Pat a man or a woman" Some of the dialog is just stupid and at times pointless. While the whole plot goes on, another man tries to find out what is Pat's sex because he is obsessed with Pat.

The acting is at times awful, but it's still funny to watch at times. This isn't the best film around, but it's not the worst.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]