IMDb > It Could Happen to You (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
It Could Happen to You

It Could Happen to You More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

The nearest any film's ever come to breaking me...

Author: Dave Robinson from Manchester, England
5 June 2002

...as a cynic.

I, through whatever reason, am absurdly cynical. A cynic, lest we forget, is somebody who puts very little faith in the good nature of humanity. Somebody who considers all good deeds to be selfishly motivated.

Somebody who should absolutely hate this film.

But I can't. I love this to pieces. No film has ever done as much to give me some faith in people. If Charlie can do the decent thing and split his ticket with Yvonne to fulfil a promise, despite the demands of a furious Muriel; if despite reaching a financial and emotional low they can still invite Angel in to put some food in his belly; and if the New York public can show their appreciation by doing whatever little they can to help out; then maybe, just maybe, there might be hope for the rest of us.

This. Is. Beautiful.

so hard to dislike

Author: Special-K88
7 March 2002

Warm, enchanting, simply wonderful romantic comedy plays out like a fairy tale brought to life. Cage is a gracious, good-natured New York cop who wins the lotto; against the wishes of his demanding, mercurial wife (Perez), he splits it with a hard-luck waitress (Fonda) as repayment for not leaving a tip! Predictable every step of the way, and hard to believe (though it's purportedly based on a true story), but it's so well-performed, so irresistibly charming, so sweet and romantic that you really don't mind. Not only a good showcase for the film's three ideal leads, but also a kindhearted film that gives hope to the notion of human decency. ***

Excellent romantic, feel-good film!

Author: LebowskiT1000 from Escondido, California, USA
2 January 2003

I'm not really the type of person that gets all excited about romantic films, but there is just something about this film that makes you feel good all the way through.

Not only is the film very touching and quite romantic, but it also has something to say about honesty and greed in the world. Although, this isn't the first movie in history to touch on these subjects, but I'm pretty sure it has never been done quite like this before.

The cast in this film is just plain excellent. Nicolas Cage is as great as always, no big surprises or let downs in that department. Bridget Fonda is spectacular in her role. She delivers a very heart-felt performance and looks nothing less than fantastic throughout the film. Both characters played by Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda were excellent characters and really seem like people that you enjoy being around. Rosie Perez was very good in her role, I actually HATED her character, not in the sense that she did a poor job, but that her character was an unlikeable person. Wendell Pierce's character (Bo Williams) was great too, also a person you would be proud to call a friend. Isaac Hayes was nice touch in the film. The rest of the cast was very good as well.

I would definitely recommend this film to anyone that likes Nicolas Cage, Bridget Fonda, romantic-comedies or just feel-good movies. I really enjoyed this film quite a bit and I hope that you will too. Thanks for reading,

-Chris

Sweetest romantic comedy possible

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
28 May 2003

It Could Happen to You certainly meets any criteria for a good romantic comedy. It's got a handsome male lead (Nicolas Cage), a sweet damsel in distress (Bridget Fonda) and a villian (Rosie Perez). Add a plot that swivels between wonderful scenes of the interested parties falling in love and the chaos erupting from the bad woman with an attitude and you have a story that captures and holds the interest of the viewer. Isaac Hayes does a wonderful job narrating the story as it unfolds. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to curl up in an easy chair and watch an adorable romantic comedy with some touching dramatic scenes.

An enjoyable piece of escapism

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
30 June 2005

The question that probably everybody once asked to himself / herself and many others is: what would you do if you won the lottery? Well, I know what I would do with it. I wouldn't change much to my lifestyle, but for those who don't know what to expect, this movie gives a good idea of how gaining a lot of money in a short period of time can influence your entire life... But I don't watch movies to know what to do with my life and neither should other people. Movies are entertainment and this one certainly offers plenty of that.

When Charlie Lang, a New York cop with a heart of gold, can't give a tip to Yvonne, a waitress at a small diner, he promises her that he will come back the next day to give her the double of her money or, in case he wins anything, half of his share of the state lottery. Of course she doesn't believe him, but when he comes back the next day and offers her the chance to chose between the two options, she goes for the lottery option. Only than he tells her that he has won 4 million dollars and that she will get half of that. But there is only one problem: his wife Muriel. She gets greedy, certainly doesn't want to share her money with a waitress she doesn't know, but doesn't even want to share it with her own husband. As Charlie and Muriel grow apart, Charlie and Yvonne grow together and it doesn't take long before Muriel files for divorce, grabs all the money and leaves with a rich man by her side...

There are plenty of romantic comedies nowadays and it is very hard to find a really good one. Well, this might be one of the few. I really liked it and there are many reasons for that. One certainly is that, despite the fact that we live in a world full of greed and egoism, some writers still try to give us hope by showing that not everything in the world is bad. OK, that may sound incredibly naive, but I really am not that stupid as you might think. I'm a business man in heart and soul, but sometimes I can really enjoy this type of positive escapism.

The fact that Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda play an important role in this movie also helps of course. And it has to be said, they really played their roles well and very convincingly. But they weren't the only ones, because the same can be said about Rosie Perez. She's incredibly good as the money-hungry bitch and despite what many people might think, she doesn't exaggerate. I've known people to change into someone just like her character once they had a bit of money in their hands... Overall this is a nice, perhaps a bit naive movie with some good acting and an interesting story. I really liked what I saw and find this one of the better romantic comedies I've ever seen. I give it a score of at least 7.5/10, although I think that even an 8/10 isn't exaggerated.

OK … you can finally drop your ugly Hollywood 'baggage' right here.

Author: Missileman1 from United States
27 November 2005

If you haven't seen the film, just grab a Pepsi out of the 'fridge, pop up some Jolly Time with a little real butter (the kind that lets you hear your arteries harden – you'll live), and take a good look at Andy Bergman and Jane Anderson's little masterpiece. You'll find the Nicolas Cage and Bridget Fonda you've always been looking for and never thought you'd see – together. Way beyond that, but amazingly from the get-go – and right in front of your very eyes – you'll begin to discover a good part of your heart in the process. You know, that part that guys don't like to talk about and women always do? This cynical man certainly did…

'Feel good' movie? – you better believe it. But don't shy away or you'll miss being human. All the 'good stuff' you ever imagined yet knew ahead-of-time is in this little caper: great plot, great story line, great acting – great film. And just the right amount of the right musical score. The trick is (and believe me, it's no trick at all) to put yourself in their shoes: as others have said, what would 'you' do with 2 million dollars that fell into your lap? You'll be thinking so hard you can miss the magic. Don't let that happen …

Years ago, as my flight instructor used to say after GUMP (gear, undercarriage, mixture, prop) and right before landing, '…just fly the plane, Bob.'

Just watch the movie. Your own three-point landing will work itself out – and, your arteries will soften…

"Cop Gives Waitress $2 Million Tip!" was working title

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
6 March 2006

I've read that,among other people,critic Roger Ebert liked the afore-mentioned title for this movie as opposed to the name it actually got. Am I alone in the only one who thinks that the original title was NOT a good idea? Think about it:how easily would the title of above roll of the tongue when discussing movies or going to the ticket window? Titles that have indirect subjects in their sentences to me,seem like they're trying to test the memory of the viewer wanting to see the film as much as they are trying to get his or her attention.

OK,'nuff said about that.

As for the movie: Unapologetically sweet,this is one part fairy-tale,one part morality lesson(like those two elements COULDN'T be one and the same thing!),using none other than the Big Apple as its backdrop.

Honest beat cop Charlie Lang(Nicolas Cage in possibly one of the least conflicted and cleanest character portrayals he's given)is short of change one day and,while stopping for coffee at a street diner,uses in lieu of a tip,part of his lottery ticket to the harried but pretty and good-natured waitress(Bridget Fonda,in a word:likable). When that ticket wins a large,metro-area jackpot,Charlie does the right thing and splits his portion of the winnings with the waitress,who needs that money desperately: she's in debt to her ears and has a mooch of an ex-husband(Stanley Tucci)who won't leave her alone. This act of generosity does not sit well at all with Charlie's vain wife Muriel(a screechy,believable Rosie Perez),who eventually acts to have Charlie--and in the process Yvonne the waitress--cut from the winnings entirely.

People who like to complain that movies these days have no sense of either morality or sentimentality would be wisely steered in the direction of this flick. Even though it's over a decade old,it's story is easily transferable and,while I am usually loathe to suggest remakes,would actually be receptive to a remake of this film(provided the screenwriter and director were willing to change some elements of the story,like location,circumstances or even genders). A film that seems to have been made by the ghost of Frank Capra,who would've been possessing Andrew Bergman(who successfully directed Mr.CAge in "HOneymoon in Vegas" a few years before). A good rent for anyone who likes a little sentimentality in their comedy.

This is how a modern romantic comedy should look like

Author: floydianer from Germany
26 February 2006

If you judge "It Could Happen to you" by its amount of realistic situations and characters, you'll probably give it a 4 out of 10. But, who cares about realism here? It's like a modern fairy tale, Frank Capra transported into the 90s. There's a wonderful storyline (Cop gives waitress a 2 million dollar tip), which apparently is even based on real-life events. Nicolas Cage plays the most honest cop imaginable, and he proves he can play a romantic lead role just as well as a dramatic action/thriller one. His character is not exactly 100 percent realistic, but that's not a problem, this is Hollywood for heaven's sake.

Even better than Cage is his female leading lady: the fascinating Bridget Fonda. Fonda is a wonderful actress who can play both a cute character like her waitress Yvonne here and more challenging roles like the LadyMacBeth-similar one in "A Simple Plan". Unfortunately she never had the career of a Julia Roberts but she is in fact more talented and better looking. Throughout the whole movie she gives a good performance and looks gorgeous. If I had the choice of giving a waitress the lottery money or not and the woman looked like Fonda I might even give it to her. Of course there aren't so many waitresses out there that look (and behave) as charming as her and chances are low I'll ever win two millions in the lottery.

Also notable is the wonderful chemistry between Cage and Fonda. As for the supporting roles special mention has to go to Perez. Although you wonder why Cage married her in the first place, she gives a humorous and entertaining performance. Of course there's kitsch but that's not necessarily bad. Good kitsch can be wonderful and this film, that has an absolutely great happy ending, serves as a perfect example of how a romantic comedy should be filmed. It's better than "Pretty Woman".

Truly romantic and a lovely movie.

Author: triple8 from Conn
17 January 2004

This is one of the sweetest and most touching films to come out of the nineties. Anyone who enjoys touching heartwarming stories that touch the soul should watch this. The plot concerns a kindhearted cop(Cage) and his materialistic wife(Perez) who win several million in the lottery. The day they win, the cop had been in a restaurant earlier, where he came up short on money and couldn't tip his waitress(Bridget Fonda).Fonda's character is a down on her luck waitress with a heart of gold who gets treated like garbage by her boss and has an estranged husband who ran up her credit card bill and forced her into bankruptcy. So, since Cage has no money for a tip and he feels bad,he tells Fonda he has a lottery ticket and if he wins he'll split the winnings with her. When he does indeed win he honors his promise to Fonda, a woman he's met for all of a few minutes, much to the dismay of his wife who wants all the money. So she decides to divorce him and try to keep all the money for herself.

Of coarse, the cop and the waitress start to fall in love but I wouldn't call this just a typical romantic comedy-It is a beautiful tale of integrity, decency and kindness of spirit.I'm not going to go into what happens to Cage and Fonda as they go through both good times and very very low times. I will say that Karma figures a lot into this story-how Cage and Fonda are ultimately paid back for what they give up is gloriously poignant and I also love the scene where Cage first tells Fonda that she's a millionaire-and her gradual realization that he's telling her the truth.

The characters are very well acted, Perez will make you absolutely hate her, Fonda's character is so real I wanted to take a ride to her restaurant when the movie was over and grab lunch-she is very good in this-as is Cage as the kindly hardworking cop. The way the story is narrated is great and the last couple of scenes are some of the most heartwarming I've ever seen.

This movie, I think will have the ability to make even the toughest person cry. Is this based on a true story as is said in the beginning?

Maybe, maybe not but truth or fiction, the fact remains:this is one darn good movie!

Good one

Author: sagitario from Paraguay
11 March 2002

I have seen this movie some time ago, and I really enjoyed it. It`s simple, nice, romantic, at times sad, and isn't that what life's about? Things and circumstances change, but the personality should remain, and the hope also. It shows a straightforward cop, a nice waitress and a posesive and nasty wife. I liked the story, I liked the acting of Cage and the lovely Bridget Fonda. She's cute. Good movie, I recommend it. See ya around.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]