IMDb > Secrets Shared with a Stranger (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Secrets Shared with a Stranger More at IMDbPro »Ispoved neznakomtsu (original title)

One of my favorite movies

Author: Ponchie Da Blob from Houston, TX
31 December 2000

I happened to be watching the International Channel the other night (gotta love it!) and this movie came on. At first I didn't think I'd like it because it was set in the early 1900s and it didn't seem too interesting, but I kept watching for some reason. I'm really glad I did because this movie was great. Here's the I-channel's summary of it:

St Petersburg, 1907. The young and carefree Natalia should be perfectly happy. She has a handsome little boy, a rich husband who allows her to live as she chooses and lovers who desire her. Yet, a chance encounter with a stranger forever alters her peaceful life. Echoing Natalia's secret desire for independence, her husband is murdered that very same night.

I don't want to give too much away, but this movie was beautifully written and I would recommend it to anyone.

About Russian soul

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
21 January 2007

A important film not only for beauty, script or acting but for the delicate art to transmit the original form of Russian soul. The details like pieces of a fascinating mosaic of expectation, illusions and regrets. The stranger like butcher of chimeric life in which every day makes a delicate and secret sense for ordinary existence.

Flavor from Chekhov atmosphere, shadows from Nina Berberova's art, parts of Lyudmila Ulietskaya's vision, memories from Dostoevsky deep tensioned silence, drops Mikhail Bulgakov are elements to recreate a world very soft, fragile and suffocated by ambiguous passion.

Not the Slavic air is important, not the words with Anna Karenina's similar sound, but the discover of a magnificent world grace of superb Sandrine Bonnair interpretation.

"Ispoved neznakomtsu" is a beautiful sad story but, more important is exploration of sensitivity of a strange, charming world.