Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
Page 10 of 39: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Perhaps the best adaptation ever!!!!

Author: saxon-7 from Denmark
22 April 2006

Plot: The plot is based on the novel by Anne Rice (actually the first book in the Vampire Chronicles) and takes a different approach to illustrating Vampires; here we are told the story from a Vampire's point of view (although it's a disgruntled Vampire's point of view). The Vampire Louis is 'made' in 1791 by another Vampire; Lestat; who takes pity (for lack of better word) on the young man who is very disgruntled with his current life, not that the transition into Vampire does anything to that view. This adaptation is one of the best I have had the pleasure to see, it does have its alterations but since Anne Rice herself as had a hand in the adaptation they don't impact the adaptation that much. I can't find anything that I can say destroys my impression of the book, there are of cause minor points but they don't ruin the flow or experience of my mental picture of the scenes (in fact some of them I didn't even realize). Now I have to say that this isn't my favorite book in the series but indeed a great one.

Actors: The actors do a magnificent job at portraying their various characters and are mostly well cast. Tom Cruise does portray Lestat de Lioncourt with just the right amount of darkness and emotional lacking that is conveyed in the novel, but he still does not fit with my picture of Lestat, this however is not any failing of Tom, but rather on the casting (just to clarify, the casters would have been hard set to find anyone else that could have played the role of Lestat this good). Brad Pitt is almost perfectly cast as Louis de Pointe du Lac, he portrays the character with just the right amount of disgruntlement and unhappiness that is central to the character. I find this role more his breakthrough than the one he actually became known from. Antonio Banderas portrays Armand with the right kind of passion and joy at finding this 'new' Vampire to teach and spend time with. You also get the feeling that he's missing something in his unlife (now I won't spoil it if you haven't read the Vampire Chronicles, but that portray is right on Armand). Stephen Rea portrays Santiago just as perfectly as the rest of the actors do theirs. Santiago isn't one of the greatest roles in the novel but still an important one and Stephen nails it. Santiago is himself an actor and playwright and one who follows the rules of the Vampires to the letter, and this is conveyed perfectly by Stephen. Kirsten Dunst is adorably as Claudia, the Child Vampire. She truly acts with a great understanding of the character (remarkably considering her age at the time) and the emotions that anybody would have in a situation such as Claudia's. Christian Slater portrays Daniel Malloy with enough uneasiness that he doesn't fall flat on his face but his is the least of the performances, but given that this is probably the least explained (fleshed out) characters in the novel (he's gets his due later in the series) he does a good enough job.

Effects: Big applause to Stan Winston for the Vampire effects, they're just stunning, as is the burning of New Orleans (which is mostly computer generated since the city of New Orleans wouldn't let the filmmakers use any pyrotechnics, and who can blame them?). The sets and clothing also fits nicely with the Victorian age.

Overall: Well as I said this is one of the best adaptations I have seen (it even takes into account some of the later revelations in the series). I have a hard time finding anything bad to say about it; the only thing I can come up with is that I think that Stuart Townsend (Queen of the Damned) is a better Lestat than Tom Cruise. I give this movie 8 out of 10. The extra material on the DVD doesn't give much but a nice anyway, the commentary by the director is nice enough but I miss someone else that he could discuss the scenes with, the making of is also interesting but these two extras isn't enough to satisfy me.

fine

Author: spaceymeg from United States
6 February 2006

i love vampires no matter who plays them, even the old ghetto version of old Dracula is awesome, not all vampires have to be hot, some look like normal people and weather or not they want you around is how often you notice them. i am 18, my name is Meaghan and i have been called everything from a wiccan (or as some say a witch) to a vampire in my few years of being here but i also need to put a couple people straight. for one: vampires drink blood and need it to servive. two: they can range from being sexy to being as ugly as hell (i know because one of my friend's swears he's one and can prove it too). and for three: there might be laws to the underworld but there are soo many ways around them. i believe that people need to hear my opinion so here it is. interview with the vampire was an awesome inspirational movie that shows how hard it is to live as a vampire. so there...

Interview With the Vampire

Author: keeley_roughley from United Kingdom
30 January 2006

The movie was excellent, when i first watched it i was amazed with all the special effects, and the actors Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, they were great taking part as vampires, they did a good job and made it a good movie. the movie was great! The movie was really good, to good for words really. It was a good horror movie by Anne Rice. All the things what happened in the movie was excellent and amazing how they did it. i think this movie was a better horror movie than all the other horror movies i've seen, and if the makers of this movie are planning a sequel for this movie, then my advise would be, go a head! because the first movie was excellent, and i would love to see Christian Slater as a vampire, that would be great!

almost orgasmic

Author: Charlotte Falk from Sweden
29 January 2006

This piece is one of a master, simply blending the Gothic ancient romance of Anne Rice's work with the boldness of update film-making. Though, however, ones picture of the Vampire Lestat can never be matched after reading six hundred pages telling of his abnormal beauty and sex-appeal, Tom Cruise takes a good shot at trying. There is always a wish for more, when you know the book behind a picture, and I must say I would'nt mind one or tree hours more of this tantalizing tale. I love the costumes, love the light, love the environments and the beautiful actors. (Off the record I'm not a fan of Kirsten Dunst's, and I might say that this is one of her best performances, especially regarding to her age at that time.) Closing up to say, if you ever feel like candy in the shape of a motion picture, this is The One.

A must must see!

Author: LovefilmsALOT from United Kingdom
12 January 2006

Fantastic film!I saw it about 9 years ago and I can't stop watching it now. I thought that because you had so many famous actors like Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Antonio Banderas etc that the film would be overwhelmed by the cast and divert away from the story. This is really isn't so. The script is rich and powerful and the actors have just intensified the storyline. There's not many effects in it which makes it even more intriguing compared to it's sister film "Queen Of The Damned."But if you're looking for a classic film, with fantastic gore and script worthy of the books, then I'd see this. There are many vampire flicks on the market,but this one has got to be the best vampire genre film I have ever seen. Vampire lovers?U gotta see this!!!

Scary

Author: JoshtheGiant from United States
31 December 2005

"Let me kiss it better."

I am not one who generally likes Vampire films in fact the only one before Interview With the Vampire was the original Dracula film with Bela Lugosi. And yet I just really loved Interview With the Vampire it was extremely well written as was the book and well directed and acted Kirsten Dunst in particular is amazing as Claudia the young Vampire. The plot goes generally like this. A Vampire named Louis is interviewed by a young reporter and he tells his life story a two hundred year long life story. His story starts in the late Seventeen Houndreds in Saint Louis Missouri. He is a depressed man who just lost his wife and child. Than he is bitten by Lestat a Vampire from Paris. Louis refuses to feed on humans and lives off rats and such. Lestat finds this hilarious and taunts him constantly. After moving to Louisiana, Louis can't help himself and attacks a young girl, but Lestat finds him and laughs. Louis runs in self loathing but Lestat finds him and brings him to the dying child. Lestat than makes the child a Vampire and their daughter named Claudia. She is even more bloodthirsty than Lestat and teaches Louis to love again as well to eat human blood. That is the plot that sends Interview With a Vampire into much more stuff and makes it wonderful.

It's always interesting to get inside a vampire's mind.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
2 December 2005

Throughout cinema history, vampires have always been the bad guys. So, it was interesting to hear everything from a vampire's point of view for once. Louis de Pointe du Lac (Brad Pitt) tells of how Lestat de Lioncourt (Tom Cruise) turned him into a creature of the night, how young Claudia (Kirsten Dunst) eventually joined their ranks, and how he overall experienced history.

I've never read Anne Rice's original novel, but the movie version of "Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles" was certainly worth seeing. The three main stars do an worthwhile job with their roles, as do supporting players Stephen Rea, Antonio Banderas, and Christian Slater. Teenage girls will probably like the very presence of Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, while teenage boys will probably like that one scene in the theater (you know what I mean).

amazing

Author: hai_haiemay_bare from United States
22 November 2005

this was a great movie, i really enjoyed watching it, and i'm not the kinda person who watches scary movies all the time, but i loved this one. i think it was an amazing vampire movie, as well as the plot and everything in it. It made me think of the Lost boys, because i loved that movie as well. I just really enjoyed this movie a lot, and if you haven't seen it yet, you should rent it and sit down and watch it, or even if it comes on TV. This movie made me think everything was actually happening, and that could actually happen, the actors were great. they played the role of who they were supposed to be very well. I loved Tom Cruise's character and Brad pits. Kristen Duntst did an awesome job as well. i think that was one of her first movies to hit big screen. so that was an awesome introducing of her, to be in a film that big and great.

interview with the vampire is amazing!

Author: little_xanadu from Australia
7 October 2005

this movie is amazing! i am awestruck by Anne Rice's work, unfortunately i searched the internet to find out about the second of the trilogy, and sadly found no information on it. this movie is the best i have seen. normally i am disappointed when a scary/horror movie has too much storyline and not enough of the fear factor, this lacked in fear but was so in depth! i felt Lestat's pity and pain as he watched a mortal suffer at the hands of his creator, i felt his hunger as he fed of rats not wanting to kill a human. i felt like i to was a vampire, before i saw the movie i thought it would be cool to be vampire, but i have been Lestat and felt his craving for life or death and realized what pain it would cause. i have never been so into a movie! i recommend this to everyone who enjoys the gore, blood and fear, it has the occasional shocks like someone moving suddenly with loud background music, but there are so many types of fear in this movie i cannot count them, but i enjoyed them all!

Loved it

Author: soulstrong from Baltimore, Maryland
12 September 2005

I'm not normally a fan of vampire movies but I found myself really loving this movie. The casting was extraordinary, the designs and elements were fantastic, and everything about this was great. Yes there were some incorrect errors and such, but all in all, it did not matter. This movie is a wonderful piece of artwork to all that worked on it. Its pure Anne Rice written all over it, and I'm happy that not too much was tampered with than for the book, I know a lot was, but to be it didn't matter much; I loved the acting, the casting, all of it. I'd definitely recommend this movie, if you want to see a great vampire movie; this will do the trick.