Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
Page 5 of 42: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One of the good vampire movies of the generation

Author: Maddie1003 Cinephile from India
5 June 2016

Rating: 7.5/10.

This film narrates the life of a plantation lord, Louis(Brad Pitt), a 200 year old vampire. He describes his life before being a vampire, and his journey after being a vampire in the form of an interview.

Brad Pitt as Louis, is undoubtedly, the hero of the film. Although he is a vampire, who lives on other people's blood, he shows his human side of love, pity, sacrifice and compassion through the film. Exactly as a protagonist should be. However, he broods and sulks.He looks forever depressed.

Tom Cruise as Lestat, the arrogant, egoistic, ruthless, ever immortal blood sucking monster , stole the show. He completely NAILED the character of Lestat. The others also played their roles convincingly. Special mention to Claudia(Kristen Dunst) who played a mature role at such young age.The dialogues are quite dramatic, and some are worth remembering. All in all, quite an entertaining film.

The best gory vampire film ever!

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
22 July 2015

I have to say, this was the best collaboration with three great actors who are mostly the legends - Kirsten Dunst, Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise. Honestly I thought their acting skills were spot on even if they were just new from the spotlight. No wonder all three of them are so successful today! This movie came out days before I was born and lemme tell ya, they came a long long way!

The movie was quite intense and sad because there was a lot of blood and killing but this is a real vampire movie folks. Although I have to add, Dracula was quite intense too!

Anyways, I hated how Kirsten Dunsts character and the other actress who played her mother, were killed off by a light shinning whilst they were imprisoned. Seriously I cried at the scene, it felt so real!

You have to see this film even if it's a horrific gory story!

A Good Vampire Story

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
21 October 2014

I have never read Anne Rice's novel but she did write the screenplay for this film - all I can say is "Wow! One of the best Vampire films I have ever seen and one of best stories involving Vampires." Everything about this film is amazing: the costuming, the sets, the story, cinematography, and the casting! Lestat (Cruise) is one of the vilest Vampires I have ever seen but towards the end of the film I found I understood him and somewhat sympathized with the character.

Claudia (Dunst) I felt really bad for her... she is a young girl turned and she will never have a chance to grow up.

Louis (Pitt) I felt pity for. He never wanted to "feast on a human". He remained strong in that area for a long time - feasting of small animals most of the time. But towards the end he became more like Lestat.

This is a must see for all Vampire fans! 9.5/10

My Ultimate Vampire Film

Author: tara0806
11 September 2014

When I first watched this film I was about 11-12 years old and found it scary and honestly it worried me for years. To try and get over this I decided to watch it again around the age of 14 and fell in love. It is amazing and I have since recommended it to friends.

The murky and dark themes of this movie remind us exactly of what a vampire film should be about, now the last thing I want people to think is that I'm picking fun at newer vampire films like Twilight, when I am quite happy to watch them as well, but see them more a romantic films as opposed to a gritty vampire film, which really shows the legend and dark nature of the 'creatures' in their true tortured forms.

Fair enough this film isn't for everyone, but the combination of Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise isn't bad to look at even if they are wearing foundation and wigs. I have to also add that I was blown away by Kirsten Dunst's performance as Claudia, I thought that for such a young actress she treated the role in a very mature manner and despite her appearance made it believable that over time she was mentally beyond her years.

The smoky and groggy themes used in the film only further influence the feelings that you get of this being a film that is inevitably going to be dark, gruesome and quite scary.

As an overall movie I think it is incomparable to others that have been brought out and for me it is the ultimate vampire film. It has gone from a movie that used to make me feel quite uncomfortable to one of my favourites.

It is engaging, gritty and even funny at moments, and although I won't spoil it, I think most people will agree that it has an absolute blinder of an ending.

Good

Author: Harriet Deltubbo from United States
19 August 2014

This film is not as bad as they say. Vivid scenes and good dialog highlight this one. The acting is very effective. But bad cinematography gives the film a washed-out look. Bad costumes hurt it and so does the anti-climactic conclusion. I think it is still a reasonable film. It solidifies the comeback for Cruise as a unique presence in American cinema and hopefully is a sign that he will do more of these kinds of austere, gripping character pieces more often in the future. This film was nearly perfect, but sadly still not made for everyone. It's an important film, as well as very entertaining. Truly a gritty, hard movie about gritty hard people

The sad state of vampires.

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
9 August 2014

'Interview With the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles' is a movie helped by the visions of two very creative people. The first is Anne Rice whose vampire novels are full of dread and gloom and try to bring an absolute reality the subject of vampires. The other is Neil Jordan ('The Crying Game'), a filmmaker who is never makes a conventional movie. He always has a nice twist or turn up his sleeve.

The reality is what makes this film work. We sense the day to day boredom and the horror that comes with being a creature of the night that must kill to survive and can never grow old.

The story begins in the present as a 200 year-old vampire named Louis (Brad Pitt) grants an interview to a journalist (Christian Slater). His story begins sometime in the late 18th century. Why have all vampires been born in the Victorian era? Aren't there any that were born a caveman or at least during the renaissance.

Louis it bitten by a fearsome vampire named Lestat (Tom Cruise) and the movie follows his devastation as he tries to come to terms with what he must do in order to live. The two travel from city to city feeding off the living. At one point Lestat bites a little girl named Claudia and her story is one of the saddest and most potent element of the film.

The choice of Tom Cruise as Lestat was not met with much warmth. I, for one, liked his performance here. Cruise has always been an actor willing to let himself look like a jerk but in this one he puts his looks in check. He slips into the character rather well and it never feels like a character role.

But the performance that I was most struck by was that of Kirsten Dunst as Claudia a twelve-year-old who lives her life as a vampire and can never grow up. Her character is positively Shakespearean. Dunst plays a twelve-year-old but we sense that inside her is a woman much older and wiser. We sense that inside this young body the mind of an adult who is living the nightmare of not only being a Vampire but an endless childhood in which she can never experience life.

The reality of the world of these three characters is brought to life by a brilliant set design by Dante Feretti. I especially loved an underground stone nest with holes in the walls for sleeping quarters that resemble and insect hive. The gloomy cinematography by Phillipe Roussellot ('A River Runs Through It') gives us the smoky, dim existence of a life lived at night.

Many critics complained the 'Interview With the Vampire' was slow and dull. I found that its leisure paced worked in putting me into the reality with which these creatures are faced. Because of this the movie isn't heavy on plot. It is about a grim reality that goes on day after day, year after year, century after century living by a horrible code of survival.

Heartbreaking but beautiful

Author: vesy vesy
2 May 2014

I have to say this is the best vampire movie I have seen. Not as good as the book, though. But i don't hold it against it. The book is always better so this isn't a reason not to like it even if you have read it.

The cast was excellent. I can't believe how Lestat was Tom Cruise. Kirsten Dunst and Brad Pitt were marvelous Louis and Claudia.

This is the shorter, simpler version, of course. You don't get much of it. If you want depth, the story at its wholesome, stick with the book. I ask you not to decide if you are going to read it based on the film because they are very different.

However, this is about the film itself. It's a romantic, Gothic tale of love, passion and looking for life's meaning. Of course the "life" seen trough vampires's eyes. I liked it. It was a good adaptation of Anne Rice' 100 percent AMAZING novel. Still, if it's important to you to be as good as the book itself, you shouldn't watch it. I myself watched it out of curiosity and i thought it was all right. I hope you enjoy it too.

Great original vampire movie

Author: deatman9 from Canada
26 October 2012

This movie is really a great horror drama. The director did a great job and it has a wonderful cast who all perform their roles to near perfection. Although about vampires I would have to say this is more of a drama with a lot of elements of romance in there as well. This movie really does have something for everyone and it definitely suck you into the story.

This movie is about a vampire who wants to tell a journalist his life story. The journalist does not believe him at first but he begins to get more and more intrigued as the story goes on.

This is one of the best vampire films ever made and despite the fact its not scary it still is very well done and very interesting. The great cast really makes the whole thing come together.

The Horror Genre's Greatest Contribution

Author: (Bmore1984) from United States
27 August 2012

I recall this film terrifying me as a child. As an adult, it is even more frightening. It's neither the vampires that necessarily scare you nor the scenes of gushing blood nor the darkness, but the sprawling narrative itself - a journey through an alternative history where monsters, magic and immorality intersect. A journey which begins in the small port city of New Orleans and traverses to Europe and ends back in the New World. Despite the epic nature of it all, Rice writes an intimate and personal story where the emotions of love, betrayal and uncertainty are at the forefront, especially evident in the tragic depictions of Louis and Claudia and the ruthless cunning of Lestat. You root for the protagonist, Louis, wanting him desperately to protect his daughter/friend/partner Claudia and at the same time find his own salvation. The emotions towards Lestat are more mixed; he certainly is the heel but moments exist where a deeply sympathetic and tortured person is sown. Then Rice keenly without compromising the integrity of the story introduces the underbelly of the vampire society – a pleasant shift midway through the film.

This is a special story. When you add the highly competent acting, this becomes possibly the best horror flick ever made.

Gothic romanticism AND gore.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
19 May 2012

With its photogenic cast and a story-line revolving around the emotional anguish that goes hand in hand with vampirism, Interview With The Vampire could be accused of being the 90s precursor to Twilight; its vamps might be sad, however, but they sure ain't sappy: the vampire Lestat (Tom Cruise) would happily tear Edward a new one; Claudia (Kirsten Dunst) would rip out Bella's throat without batting an eyelid; Louis (Brad Pitt) would find it hard to join in at first, but his hunger would prevail. That's because Interview With The Vampire is a proper vampire movie with proper vamps designed for a mature audience, not watered down PG-13 tripe aimed at the less discriminate teen demographic.

Interview's bloodsuckers might have emotional issues to deal with—immortality and a constant craving for blood doesn't come without its baggage—but when it comes down to it, these guys see mortals as food and having a relationship with dinner is only going to get messy (much better to slash their throat and be done with it); Interview's brutal bloodsuckers (and its R-rating) ensure that viewers get a healthy helping of gore to go with their Gothic romanticism, Stan Winston's incredible effects giving the film plenty of bite. Factor in excellent direction from Neil Jordan and great turns from its stars (Dunst is amazing for her age), and what you have is a terrific vampiric horror in the truest sense.