Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
Page 13 of 41: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Excellent adaption for the most part, that's very engrossing and well made, with incredible performances,only problem is the mid section is draggy *spoilers*

Author: callanvass
30 April 2006

This is an excellent adaption for the most part, that's very engrossing and well made, with incredible performances, only problem is the mid section is draggy. All the characters are brilliant, and the story is wonderful, plus Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt and Kirsten Dunst are all simply incredible in this!. I absolutely loved the ending as it put a big grin on my face, and I have to say Dunst stole some scenes from her co stars! plus Cruise and Pitt had excellent chemistry together. I Haven't read the book, but I really enjoyed this movie, and the set pieces were so incredible, plus all the costumes were so wonderful and lavish looking!. It's extremely well made and written, and everyone was perfectly casted in my opinion, plus it's also very bloody and violent at times too. It's often very suspenseful, and I loved Cruise's makeup as well, plus the scene where they abduct Luis, and Claudia is very disturbing and freaky. I loved the atmosphere it had as well, and I also loved the dialog as well, plus the music was great. This is an excellent adaption for the most part, that's very engrossing and well made, with incredible performances, only problem is the mid section is draggy, still I say it's a must see for everyone!. The Direction is wonderful! for the most part!. Neil Jordan does a wonderful! Job here for the most part, with brilliant camera work, excellent angles, adding some great atmosphere, using great set pieces, lavish costumes everything about it was just perfect, just the mid section was the only problem. The Acting is incredible!. Tom Cruise is amazing as always and is incredible here, he truly is Lestat, I am huge Cruise fan, but even I myself questioned the casting of him, boy did he prove me wrong in a big way, he had the arrogance,cockiness down just perfect, I also loved his dialog, and he seemed to have have a blast playing the role, he gave another top notch performance(Cruise Rules!!!!!!!!!!). Brad Pitt is also incredible here, I'm not a huge fan but he really impressed m here, he just had this sadness about him, he was also vulnerable, lonely, and intense, him and Cruise had some very powerful scenes together, and considering bot there star power, I was impressed how well they worked together, Pitt was a big reason why this film was so successful!. Kirsten Dunst is also incredible here, she steals many scenes from her co stars, and was very intense, this is quite possibly the best performance I have seen her give, I loved her!. Antonio Banderas is charming as usual and did fine as Armand, I really liked him. Christian Slater is amazing as always and is amazing here, he didn't have a whole lot of screen time as the Interviewer but was brilliant when on, he brought his usual charisma, and I thought he rocked! (Slater Rules!!!!!!!). Thandie Newton has a small role here and did OK. Rest of the cast are fine. Overall a must see for everyone!. ****1/2 out of 5

Anne Rice-Brilliant

Author: poicaleeruantale from Australia
7 April 2006

I love Anne Rice's vampire chronicles and the character I really love is Louis. I couldn't wait to see Brad as Louis and I new I wouldn't be disappointed and I wasn't. Brad was beautiful, just as Louis is portrayed by Anne in her novel.

I'm not fond of Tom Cruise and personally don't believe he's a good actor but to give him his due, he was a natural Lestat and portrayed the character wonderfully. This is the only Cruise film I like and I don't watch it for Cruise but for Brad/Louis whom I adore.

Brad just gets better and better and when you know this is an earlier film for him you realize what a great actor he is.

Interview was/is a very good movie and considering how hard it is to bring a novel to film, especially in this genre, I think the cast and crew did a great job and deserve a 10.

I'll keep watching this over and over again!

Not the meaning of life, but a gentle reminder to appreciate it

Author: rvos-1 from United States
27 January 2006

This movie did not have the meaning of necessarily. There is something in there. See, Louis was so grief stricken and bitter after the death of his wife and child that he hated life sought death. When he got what he asked for he was suffering because he wanted back all of those things that he took for granted while he was alive. When Armand said he could take away his last lingering regrets and suffering, Louis said that's all he had left and he would rather have that. And another scene that tells that Louis learned to appreciate all of those things is after they disposed of Lestat, he said while they were on the ship that he desperately wanted those. He wanted to see blue again. Then when he said he came back to New Orleans in 1988 he said that motion pictures helped him see the daylight and the colors that he took for granted, purples, oranges and "my long lost blue". He went from longing for death two hundred years before to just taking pleasure in being able to see the color blue. Think of all of those things we take for granted. People want to vacation on a beautiful tropic island, but look around and there are things of a different, but equal, beauty near where you live-no matter where you live. It's sad because Louis seemed like he would have been a nice man before the death of his wife and it's a shame it took immortal life and 200 years of killing and numbness for him to appreciate the life he had left after his wife died.

Your dream cast

Author: rachelhawk71
29 April 2005

I went into this movie with the same attitude that I take into any movie made from a book that I love - take it on its own merits. See that the movie is someone ELSE'S vision of the book. With that in mind, I enjoyed the movie very much. I thought Brad Pitt was absolutely beautiful, and Tom Cruise was surprisingly good (okay it CAN be difficult to leave ALL prejudice behind). My favorite Claudia scenes in the movie were the ones where she was the most vicious, and I felt that Kirstin Dunst played them EXCEPTIONALLY well, despite the fact that she was a good six years older than her character was written to be.

Having said all this, the fact is, none of those three came close to MY vision of the book's characters. And the only character that I simply could NOT accept, despite his immeasurable appeal, was Antonio Banderas as Armand. HELLO?! Armand was all of SEVENTEEN when he was made?! Don't get me wrong, I adore Antonio, but this casting was WAY off. And that long straight black hair?! Santino, MAYBE, but NEVER Armand.

Now, for the question I have for you. Who is your dream cast for this movie? I saw a similar thread here, but with only one exception, it seemed that mostly it was a discussion of the cast of this movie. So for those who were not satisfied with this cast, please share your dream cast with me. The actors need not be current - you can cast a young Cary Grant as somebody if you like. Personally, I'd love to see six year old Drew Barrymore play Claudia (or even Shirley Temple with blond hair - could she pull of the meanness and maturity?). Or if you prefer, pretend you are casting the movie today and make it all current, age-appropriate actors (though I reject the default Dakota Fanning as Claudia, as not beautiful enough - Dakota is a gorgeous little girl with an incredibly expressive face and WOW talent, but not the ironically angel-faced Claudia for me).

Unfortunately, I ask this of you because I do not have the gift of doing it myself. I must say, the one person that previously posted a list of their own had an inspired choice for Lestat in Paul Bettany. I would never have thought of him. One part of me wants to say that he is not beautiful enough to be my Lestat, but on the other hand, the planes of his face and his ability to play intensely override that. The same person mentioned Johnathan Rhys Davies as another Lestat option. Though I find him incredibly beautiful, for me, he is too androgynous and pretty to be Lestat, though I can totally see where you are coming from.

As many of you Anne Rice fans know, her image of Lestat was one of a young Rutger Hauer. That seems a little incongruous with her description of his "generous mouth", but she is the author, what can we say? My image of him in my teen years (in the eighties) was a combination of Julian Sands and Sting. Now, I envision him more masculine and sensuous than either.

As for Louis, I imagine him more spare than Brad Pitt - more slender, more angular, and with darker hair.

And again, Armand is SEVENTEEN, with curly, auburn hair and for me, a somewhat cherubic face, with a slightly Asian cast, as you would find in those of Russian origin. By that I mean high, angular cheekbones and almond eyes. The Russian influence is new to my perception, after recently re-reading Blood and Gold.

And please don't feel limited to the cast of Interview. Any other characters from the Chronicles are also up for discussion. I once saw a great web-page by a girl who had some VERY interesting ideas. What are yours? -R

Based on the Novel by Anne Rice, about a Vampire who doesn't like killing humans.

Author: princess_critic from United Kingdom
1 March 2005

Brill! One of the best vampire movies around! Tom Criuse is perfect in the role of Lestat, adding sarcastic and humorous comments through out the movie. Couldn't ask for a better Lestat! And Brad Pitt plays Louis very well, working beautifully along side Tom Criuse and, bless her, little Kristen Dunst who plays Claudia, Louis and Lestat's daughter. (or the demon child as i like to call her). Antonio Banderas as the legendary Armand works well, although the second book in the series 'The Vampire Lestat' would have been brilliant as a movie as it would bring through the relationship between Lestat and Armand more. 8/10. And again: Lestat - the BEST! I love his sarcasm!

A Romantic Horror

Author: funny_diana from UK
24 February 2005

It's one of my favorites.It's different from all the vampire movies before, because it's a romantic story ,that is based on the pure,almost human feeling of a suffering not-of-this-world being.It's a great story even if you only read the book,but i believe that the director has made a really great job. The sets,the portrayal of those years are very authentic, and the acting is just as it was supposed to be.The characters are all captivating , both positive and negative ones . Brad Pitt Is in one of his best roles , Tom Cruise ,even if not the best choice for Lestat -as Anne Rice complained also - proves to be very appropriate in the role, and Kirsten Dunst ,a child actor, proved that she has a great amount of talent ,as we can see in the films she made after. It's a great movie and I can't help but seeing it over and over again.

Vampires have feelings too.

Author: eholden89 (eholden89@yahoo.com)
11 October 2004

This movie is the best Vampire movie out there. The characters have deep

emotions, not unlike human beings, yet they are so different. They describe

themselves as monsters. This movie plunges into the emotions experienced as

a vampire and describes the bottomless void in the life of a vampire. This movie is much different from those other horror vampire movies because of this. These beings are not mindless monsters, but creatures, striving to be human, living with the terrible realization that they are evil.

As far as the effects, excellent. The eyes are exactly as I imagined them from the book. (I love the whiteness of the skin with the blue veins showing as well.) The costumes, wonderful. Although I didn't live in the 19th century, I have read books and find that they look appropriate for the time. The sets, magnificent. In each new scene I feel that I myself am actually pulled into the world created by the movie.

All in all, it is a great movie, though I didn't very well like the blood in some scenes. It seems that the vampires in the book were a little more careful with their feeding. Yes, the blood may have been too much in some parts. And

Lestat. I would have loved to see more of the vampire Lestat. For example, in the Theatre of the Vampires, where was he?

I really wish they had made a film of The Vampire Lestat. The Queen of The

Damned movie was not even close to being a worthy successor. Though it

wasn't too ridiculously terrible.

Dissapointing to true fans of the series...

Author: Amanda Marsters from United States
23 March 2004

I saw this movie before reading the wonderful book by the same title, and I was holy dissapointed when I read the book. The movie excludes some small scenes which make the book the best. Also, the transition of Interview with the Vampire from pages to the screen seems to have lost the raw humor that was present in the books.

The movie wasn't bad, not by any means. But it wasn't as good as the book. I couldn't have picked a better Lestat myself. I adored Tom Cruise in this movie. His hair, his accent, his raw sexual energy! Ah! It makes me want to love him, and I usually hate his acting. Brad Pitt was ok as Louis, but his hair was the wrong color and his accent p***ed me off. It was supposed to be more southern, not Californian.

Overall, the movie was ok, but as a fan of the books by the lovely Ms. Rice, I am a bit dissapointed. ***1/2 out of *****.

"Much more of a fascinating story than a horror story"

Author: simon-trek from Sydney, Australia
22 March 2004

I'm not a fan of horror films, and I had always thought that this film was a horror story since it was about vampires. However some people I had met claimed that this film wasn't really a horror story. I didn't really take their recommendations into account until shortly after I'd seen 'Underworld' which to me was a good action film as well as a dark and Gothic film. So I decided that it was about time I watched 'Interview With The Vampire'.

When I saw this film was fascinated and intrigued right from the start. I felt like I would have done the same things Louis ( Brad Pitt) had done in his long destiny into "darkness". I also felt very sorry for Louis he lost the little girl vampire ( played by Kirsten Dunst) whom he was very close to. This film displays

vampires more like fascinating creatures rather than terrifying monsters, so I think the film can really cast a spell on some people. I also liked the two main vampires being played by two great American actors Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.

I believe Ann Rice has invented an entirely new way of looking at vampires and perhaps I'll some of her novels one day. Overall I film I once rejected is now a film I certainly recommend.

this is a great film

Author: gumbos from england
12 December 2003

i saw this film when it was on tv and i liked it so much i went out and bought it on dvd.i thought tom cruise and brad pitt were excellent. and although many people are saying that there performances weren't that good i must disagree. cruise is brilliant as lestat as pitt also does an amazing job as louis but my all time favourite has to be dunst as claudia. i thought she was the best out of them all. im not saying she's a better actor but her role as clauia was really upsetting, especially when she is shouting at louis to make her a mum. at only 12 i thought dunst wa brilliant. i don't understand why she didn't win an award or her role as claudia.

she is just as good as haley joel osmont, if not better and after seeing this film i am a huge fan.