IMDb > Intersection (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Sealed With A Kiss

Author: sol from Brooklyn NY USA
8 February 2005

***SPOILERS*** Speeding along a lonely stretch of highway outside the city limits of Vancouver Canada architect Vincent Eastman, Richard Gere, reaches an intersection on the road as well as in his life as his car swerves to avoid a stalled van and goes tumbling down an embankment. Vincent's life goes flashing before his eyes as he as well as us in the audience see the events over the last few years that lead to what just happened to him.

Married to his boss' daughter Vincent went far in his father-in-laws building business but his marriage to Sally, Sharon Stone,had cooled off over the years. Being estranged from Sally yet working in the same office with her made life almost impossible for Vincent to take. Knowing that Sally was living with Richard, David Selby, and having Richard spend more time with his thirteen year old daughter Meaghan, Jennifer Morrison, then he did didn't make things better for him either.

Having an affair with magazine columnist Olivia Marshak, Lolita Davidovich, was also taking a toll on Vincent's life since he couldn't complain about Sally's affair with Richard which really disturbed Vincent to the point of almost being physically violent towards him. With a lot of thought and anguish Vincent painfully came to a final conclusion on what his decision on who to be with, Sally or Olivia, and puts it on paper.

Out in the country as Vincent was about to mail the letter to the women who he was going to spend the rest of his life with something strangely happened to him. Like a preordained vision that was conjured up for Vincent by destiny he saw who the woman in his life was to be and knew now what to do with his life and who to spend it with. Is was then that fate unexpectedly intervened and made it all right for everyone involved, Vincent Sally & Olivia, but sadly at the expense of Vincent's life.

Haunting eerie and original love story that, despite it's slow pace, will really move you like it did me and many of the reviewers on the IMDb in the end. Richard Gere is both sensitive and explosive as the emotionally drained Vincent who has to make up his mind, to keep from losing it, between Sally and Olivia but who has his decision made up for him by circumstances beyond and far out of his control.

Sharon Stone gives one of her best performances ever as Sally Eastman Vincent's estranged wife. Sally in the end somewhat realizes the truth about Vincent's feelings for her but, touchingly so, keeps it to herself as well as from Olivia. And Lolita Davidovich is both sexy and caring as Vincent's lover Olivia. Who unknown to Sally knows what Vincent really felt about her after he wrote, what turned out to be, his last will and testament which Sally quietly ripped up and threw down a storm drain as the movie ended.

Very enjoyable.

Author: magnifique1958 from Ontario, Canada
22 May 2005

As a consummate and long-time fan of Richard Gere's, this was a 'must have' for me and the acquisition was not a disappointment. As usual, Richard gave an excellent performance, for which I am never disappointed. Sharon Stone and Lolita Davidovich were great choices for the female characters and effectively displayed the contrast between the personalities of the women. This movie contained real aspects to a person's dilemma's in relationships...from a sterile, business 'association' with his first wife to a passionate and truly loving 'real-life' affair with the woman he met in a chance encounter. The drama of the accident was well done and suspenseful. In the end, the most touching aspect was that neither woman wished to hurt the other by disclosing what they each believed to be true - both were loved and wanted. I enjoyed it very much and it is a much-watched movie in my home with all actors performing excellently. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a love story which is true to real-life.

Never makes it across the intersection...

Author: Shane Paterson from Las Vegas, NV
1 September 2002

I'm not quite sure what this movie's about. I'm not saying that I suspect that I missed some deep, subtle secret concealed within the narrative that only a select few will ever grasp (this, I assume, is true of the alleged comedy that I've missed in various 'comedic' films) -- rather, I'm just not entirely sure that this film delivers what it might have had it had a more coherent flow and some semblance of actually going anywhere. Not that that sentence that I just penned is a great example of those qualities, but I digress...

The movie features fine performances from all involved, including Lolia Davidovich and Sharon Stone and the pretty-much-always excellent Richard Gere. Gere's character is convincing and real, but perhaps a tad too real because he's a pretty wishy-washy fellow and his is not the most compelling of roles. Then again, neither is anyone else's, really. The two female leads get marginally more to wrap their skills around, but the whole is way less than the sum of its parts.

A 98-minute film, "Intersection" seems a lot longer and I found myself calculating time-elapsed and time-remaining at more than one point. Hardly a good sign. Sure, there are no Ramboesque explosions and car chases (though a high-speed driving theme is at the movie's heart) but I'm not the type of male who has to have that kind of thing to keep me engaged. A story might be nice, though. I mean, a story that hangs together. In the absence of much direction, and in the presence of multiple and confusing layers of flashback, the actors' great work is sabotaged. It just doesn't really seem to go anywhere.

When the film finished I felt the sentiment echoed in that old Peggy Lee song..."Is that all there is?" And I don't like Peggy Lee, darn it!

Utterly mundane remake

Author: TrevorAclea from London, England
4 September 2004

Intersection started with a disadvantage in that it's a remake of one of my favorite films, Les Choses de la Vie. The original uses a terrible car crash (one of the best ever filmed) as a starting point for a series of flashbacks and reflections on the turning point in an architects life, when the relationship that ended his marriage is in danger of self-destructing because of his inability to make an effort. But where the accident is that film's focal point, replayed in various different ways as a kind of inescapable destiny, in Intersection it is used almost as an afterthought to bring some resolution to a mundane soap opera about an indecisive man torn between his career-conscious wife and his more liberal lover (though I wonder if that may be last-minute re-editing into a more linear structure to 'save' the film since its original release date was pushed back).

It's not a case of not giving the film a chance - there have been interesting re-workings of European films by Hollywood before - or expecting a raunchfest because of Gere or Stone's presence. It's just that it's really not very good.

The result isn't exactly unwatchable, but it is overwritten, over scored and surprisingly uncinematic. Rydell gives the film plenty of gloss but few cinematic flourishes, concentrating on the seen-it-all-before romance in a way that seems more TV movie of the week than anything worth paying to see on the big screen. Sharon Stone is superb as the ex-wife and Davidovitch does well as the lover despite some unfortunate and unnecessary scenes towards the end that undermine her character to make Gere look good - which brings me to the film's major failing. Gere's character and performance. Gere can act and has done good work, but this is an especially shallow and by-the-numbers ego trip more than a performance. Aside from being the screen's most unconvincing architect (and that includes Woody Harrelson in Indecent Proposal), the smug, self, narcissistic performance here prevents us from ever caring about whether the character lives or dies. Even the film's one nearly successful scene at a post office when he can't decide whether to post an important letter is ultimately destroyed by his hammy grandstanding phone call at the end of it.

Not that the script is any help. Scenes are overwritten, achingly obvious and horribly predictable, with everything spelled out in broad strokes. Ultimately you're just left wandering from predictable scene to predictable scene with little interest. Slick, watchable, forgettable, the final insult is that the novel and Claude Sautet film this misfire is based on is only acknowledged at the very, very end of the credits when no-one is likely to spot it. That said, the filmmakers are probably grateful not to be associated with this one...

patience and reward

Author: ulmerspirit
16 December 2002

This unpopular film showcases wonderfully nuanced performances that flesh out a simple story with an interesting twist. Multiple flashbacks (or shifting timescape) delineate the story, making for a complex movie, but the patient viewer is rewarded in the end.

Richard Gere, Sharon Stone, and Lolita Davidovich breathe life into the three corners of a love triangle. Stone is especially good as the calculating Sally, whose formidable personality holds together only at the fast pace of high-end social and professional success. Gere manifests the ambiguity of a man who must choose not only between women but between parts of his soul. Spirited Davidovich is very appealing as a vital woman deeply connected to fundamental contentedness and freedom.

Some philosophy is in order when considering this intimate, thoughtful film. It portrays various aspects of the human condition without embodying them. For instance, Richard Gere plays a man in the grip of profound indecision, but director Mark Rydell's hand is sure and his intent clear (`Whatever you're going to do, do it!'). The movie compresses the many small but meaningful moments that make up a lifetime into a taut montage of images flashing before the viewer's eyes, evoking the close link between life, time, and death. It shows how the simplest, smallest gesture can trigger an epiphany of profound meaning as someone struggles to find clarity in their life. Best of all, the movie illustrates how, even in tragedy, everyone can come away with something positive worth clinging to, whether it's a message on an answering machine, a hurtful letter undelivered, or a plunge into the depths of peace.

I don't understand the negative reviews

Author: A.N.
10 January 2006

I thought this film was quite good, not slow or dull by any means. It's as solid and entertaining as most "top rated" modern films of similar genre. Maybe a bit too subtle for some people? There seems to be a problem with shortening attention spans.

There is a well controlled air of the unknown through the whole thing. The rain-soaked scenery is compelling, the acting is realistic and the final sequence is powerfully done. You never quite know what's going to happen, which to me makes a good film.

Did it get bad press before it was even released? I think people sometimes go in with a bias that has no explanation. Theaters themselves can spoil movies by way of unruly viewers and other distractions. Just going to the wrong place on the wrong night can give a movie a bad rep. Get a big screen TV or projector and tune all that out.

First Gere

Author: johno-21 from United States
1 March 2006

Richard Gere stars in this American-made remake of the 1970 film Les Choses de la vie of French Director Claude Sautet based on the novel by Paul Guimard. This time around Mark Rydell, who enjoyed success with On Golden Pond, Cinderella Liberty, The Rose and The Reivers among others is the director. Sharone Stone, Lolita Davidavich and Martin Landau round out the cast but this is clearly a Richard Gere film. Although I'm generally not a fan of Gere he is excellent in this. This does have the feel of a European film and although I've never seen the original I would like to. I'd likely find it better as a whole. This is a good drama and although not a big movie it has a good look to it. I would give this a 7.0 on a scale of 10 for it's likable story and performance by Richard Gere,

I actually managed to like Sharon Stone !!

Author: Nicholas Rhodes from Ile-de-France / Paris Region, France
15 November 2004

This film is a vastly superior remake of a French film called "Les Choses de La Vie" by Claude Sautet starring Michel Piccoli and Romy Schneider. I had known the original film for many years because of its theme music....which is absolutely magnificent, and composed by Philippe Sarde. The film itself is really a load of slow, boring and tedious crap ........a car accident is repeated in slow motion I don't know how many times but enough to drive one mad on that score alone ! Also it was very repetitive and had little deep character development. In short, its saving grace was its soundtrack !!!

Intersection, on the other hand, which I saw when it came out in Cinemas in France and subsequently bought on DVD has always been a great favorite of mine ! So much better than the Les Choses de La Vie that to compare the two is, quite frankly, a total waste of time. To be truthful, when I saw Intersection, I did not make the connection with Les Choses de La Vie, such was the greatness of Intersection compared to the banality of the other film ! It's only by reading about the film that I discovered this.

From what appears to be a relatively limited plot, we have magnificent performances from the three principal actors, especially the two ladies ! Of course the red-haired Olivia Marchak was an absolute beauty, but even Sharon Stone, whom I don't usually like in films, had something attractive about her ! Gere had a weak, cowardly and annoying character ( I don't like seeing people cheat on their wives ) but I must admit he played the part very well. I was especially subdued by Olivia, both by her physical beauty and here quasi-unflappable character in what could have been tense situations.

The final fifteen to twenty minutes of the film is the best part because ......you know it's going to happen .....but you don't want it to ......but it's destiny. I liked the bit about the letter he wrote to Olivia but never posted plus the message he left on Olivia's ansafone but where SHaron Stone came by accident into possession of the letter which was written but never posted. All that really got to me at the end and filled me with a strange emotion somewhere between happiness and sadness and is very difficult to describe. By this deft twist of the plot, each of the Ladies believed he loved ......her !! An excellent way to finish the film.

I have watched the film four or five times and each time I am filled with the same emotion .....so there must be something there !

Totally A Worthwhile Film

Author: Faye-9 from Arizona
1 February 2005

I'm not sure what it takes to be critical of a movie like this. Maybe it's inexperience in life. SPOILERS: Maybe if you've never lost a dear love and don't know what it feels like to have your knees buckle when told they are dead, you wouldn't appreciate the emotion and acting that is conveyed in this script. Also, I never considered this to be a boring movie at all. It's a love story. It had a three tissue ending, but I don't consider that to be a downfall. Richard Gere and Sharon Stone are great. I've seen this film three times now and still think it's a strong 9 out of 10! Don't avoid it because of the negative reviews here. Give it your own scrutiny.

Gilligan's struggle to choose between Ginger and Mary Ann

Author: George from Michigan
22 August 2002

The character development was so good that you could feel Vincent's conflicted emotion as he was torn between reconciling with his classy, ultra-conservative, society, professional wife Sally or starting a new life with the casual, free-spirited, fun-loving, girl-next-door Olivia. I had incorrectly guessed that the ending would be a predictably contrived cop-out, but found instead that it wrapped up all of the story lines in a creative, yet plausible way (for the movies) without any gimmicks or redirection.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]