IMDb > Hum Aapke Hain Koun...! (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hum Aapke Hain Koun...!

Hum Aapke Hain Koun...! More at IMDbPro »

Among Bollywood's greatest entertainers of ALL TIME!

Author: ChiBron from Aurora, IL
4 September 2004

Once I finished watching HAHK for the first time in 1997(3 years after its original release), I had absolutely no doubt as to why this movie became the highest grossing Hindi film of ALL TIME. HAHK is a case where everything comes perfectly together - direction, acting, music, cinematography, sets, costumes and that extra indescribable "magic" every classic has.

HAHK's story in itself is nothing special. Heck, it doesn't even have much of a plot to talk about. But what keeps us hooked to this 3 hour+ saga is a crisp screenplay, and the charming way in which everything is presented. In a movie where there are barely any conflicts and everybody loves everybody else, the audience could've easily been turned off by the excessive sugar. But HAHK's greatest achievement probably lies in the fact that it NEVER feels fake. The cast's chemistry is so natural and there's such generosity behind the emotions that you can't help yourself but fall in love with this world of theirs. This is something none of the HAHK copy-cats(to this day!) could accomplish. So many movies tried to recreate that magical family atmosphere, but none(especially Barjatya himself!) could really pull of that feeling of genuineness.

Moving on, HAHK doesn't have a single "boring" or "lets fast fwd. this scene" moment in the movie. And that's what it ultimately is - a super entertaining musical dealing with two families and two irresistible characters in Prem(Salman Khan) and Nisha(Madhuri Dixit). These are career performances from two of Bollywood's finest looking people. People forget that Salman Khan started off being a fairly solid actor. Not only could he easily enact the typical Bollywood emotions, but his unique mischievous 'ada' and natural charm went well with his good looks and lean physique(buffing up was the worst thing he did to himself). 1994 was still a time when we could count on him to deliver a likable performance. And Salman isn't just likable here, his infectious energy and charm makes Prem utterly irresistible. I don't understand why Madhuri has always been seen as the show stealer in this movie. Salman matches her all the way. Speaking of Madhuri, she just glows in every frame here. Her charming performance was simply intoxicating. Who wouldn't fall in love with Nisha? Salman-Madhuri share terrific chemistry. One of the best ever in fact. Prem and Nisha's romance develops slowly and beautifully. Every scene shared between them is memorable and believe me, their moments will bring you back to watch this movie again.

The strong supporting cast in HAHK definitely provides the movie with the ideal stability and mood to further enhance our impression of these sweet characters as believable. The casting crew hit gold because every actor looks perfect in the role he/she is portraying. The music is also BRILLIANT and the song picturizations/choreography remains unsurpassed. Barjatya cleverly keeps the narrative flowing with each song. AND that was a HUGE key because 14 songs could've easily slowed the movie's pace down.

Bottomline: HAHK to me is the quintessential Bollywood entertainer. The movie, despite being unrealistically sweet, never feels fake(something no other movie has been able to recreate, not even the director himself). Every actor in the cast adds something to make the movie special. The leading stars to this day haven't given more likable performances. If you look up the word chemistry in a Bollywood dictionary, a pic of Salman/Madhuri from HAHK should be there. Overall, just an incredibly charming movie that you can't help but fall in love with.

HAHK is classic Indian cinema that no one must miss!

Author: Deepshika from Boston
13 March 2002

No Spoiler but is rather lengthy and maybe too much detail for some people.

Hum Aapke Hain Koun, what can I say about it. I'll start with the fact is my favorite movie of all time. Why? I really can't say. Because believe me when I say that there have been much better movies made before and since it. I know this and yet this remains my favorite.

The story is quite simple, too simple some people say but thats not necessarily a bad thing. It's about Prem (Salman Khan) and Nisha's(Madhuri Dixit) love story. Prem is from a loving family and home, appropriately called Prem Nivas. Everyone loves everyone else including the servants and pets who are treated as one of the family. When Prem's older brother Rajesh's (Monish Behl) marriage is arranged with Pooja (Renuka Sahane), the oldest daughter of a Professor Chaudhary (Anupam Kher) and his wife (Reema Lagoo). The Professor and his wife are also school friends of Prem's kaka or uncle (Alok Nath) who has brought up the two brothers after the death of his sister and her husband.

During this 'rishta' Prem meets Nisha who is Pooja's younger sister. He immediately falls in love with her, but Nisha develops a strong dislike of him. What follows is a sweet and mischievous intercourse of jokes and pranks that they play on each other during the marriage ceremonies. While taking his bhabhi (sister-in-law) home, Prem apologizes to Nisha for anything he has done. Nisha is extremely surprised at his sensitiveness and also begins to like him.

Following this are many sweet sequences of how their love blossoms with songs aplenty in between. While the two are lost in each other and their new found relationship, fate takes a nasty turn as tragedy strikes both the households. Prem and Nisha find themselves in a delicate situation. And they call upon themselves to sacrifice their love and happiness for their families.

Music is excellent. No ground-breaking stuff nor any A.R Rahman genius of any kind. But it is entertaining, catchy and sweet and some numbers such as Didi tera dewar will remain in our memories for ever. Picturization is also excellent. Not one song should be skipped in the movie. Not even the two minute long babul song.

Performances are of course excellent. Madhuri Dixit excells as Nisha and completely convinces the audience as the sweet-hearted but mischevious sweetheart of the house. Nisha's character reminds me slightly of Rekha's Manju in Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Khubhsoorat. This is Salman Khan's best performance to date. Even though I'm quite obsessed with him, I own that he is not a very good actor. But in this movie he is flawless as the sweet and lovable Prem. The rest of the cast was also well chosen, every single one of them from Pooja to Tuffy the dog. They gave us the impression of being a real family. Many movies since have used almost all the members of this cast for other family movies.

Direction is also excellent. Sooraj Barjatiya excells at romantic cinema. The scenes between Prem and Pooja and Prem and Rajesh show the love between bhabhi and her devar and two brothers. The sweet moments between Prem and Nisha are also fantastic as they hold your heart still for several minutes. The intricacies of love, from first attraction, to love slowly growing in a young girl's heart to deep understanding are shown with intricate and realistic detail.

The one letdown is the screenplay by Sooraj Barjatiya. Some lines given to Salman are embarassing, especially the english ones where the sentences are not sentences. Pretty sad for someone who has an MBA.

HAHK was a landmark in indian cinema for many reasons. First was that it was the first movies with no violence at all. The whole marriage song craze also started. First full-fledged family drama. Since then we've had many such movies and most of the audience has become bored of them. I think the last one of this genre we'll be seeing is Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. I personally love these non-violent family dramas, I don't think I'll ever get sick of them. Today, many people will say that HAHK wasn't a good movie, and I think it is because they have seen too many of the copies made after it. I still maintain that it's my favorite movie and that not only should you watch it but also own it. It is the Sholay of our times although I never liked Sholay :)

One of the best family films ever!

Author: anant_mathur
8 May 2005

At a time when action films were the norm of Indian Cinema came a family film called "Hum Aapke Hain Kaun". A film that broke all the records at the time. It was the turning point in Indian Cinema to move away from violent films and towards more romantic and creative efforts or as I like to call them "Films without Villains".

Hum Aapke Hain Kaun started it all. The film is directed by Sooraj Barjatya, it is his second film after Maine Pyaar Kiya. HAHK stars Salman Khan as Prem and Madhuri Dixit as Pooja, its about how they fall in love and what they have to go through to finally end up together, throw in some family values and emotion and you have Hum Aapke Hain Kaun.

Everyone should watch this film, but wait, I think they already have!

Enjoy!

A Landmark Film

Author: CAMKG from Brampton, Ontario
5 October 2002

HAHK represents all things that the best of commercial Hindi cinema stands for. It has music that is melodious and just merges with film. There is a romantic angle full of innocence and electrifying chemistry. The premise is very simple yet has enough scope for a large array of emotions. Repeat viewing only enhances the appeal of the film. This is most definitely a Sooraj Barjatya - Madhuri Dixit collaboration to give credit where credit is due. It is the highlight of both of their careers so far, in my opinion. Barjatya does a great job with each and every character of the film. He does something that is essential for the viewer to enjoy the film: he makes you genuinely care for each character. So if they laugh, you laugh and if they cry, you cry. And he does so with sincerity and simplicity. Most definitely the film was designed to be big budget block buster, but it was made with the intention of making a great film which it most certainly is. Salman Khan and Madhuri together are one of the best onscreen couples ever depicted. Great choreography, a well-written script and most of all excellent direction by Barjatya in pacing the film superbly. One of the best films ever made. 10/10.

One of the greatest movies ever made

Author: shivakumarvishwa from India
21 June 2008

This is one of the best movies ever.The direction is superb.The choreography is excellent.The story is great.It tells us about Prem and Rajesh who are orphans and are being taken care by their uncle Kailash.One day they get Rajesh engaged To Pooja chowdhary.Pooja also has a sister named Nisha.Nisha and Prem fall in love.Rajesh and Pooja get married.They have a baby noy.One day a tragic incident happens.Pooja dies after falling from a staircase.They plan Nisha to marry Rajesh.On the climax scene Pooja gives Tuffy a letter and sends it to Prem.Rajesh reads it.He realizes their feelings.All ends happily when Preem and Pooja marry.The cinematography is excellent.Madhuari and Salman are brilliant.The others are great too.The on screen chemistry is excellent.The music is excellent.The costumes are good too.Script is excellent.Dialogs are excellent.Photography is excellent.I have seen tnis 7 times already.This is Tooooooooo good.A MUST SEE MOVIE RATING-10/10

Great Love Story cum Light Entertainment !

Author: Umar Mansoor Bajwa (umar_mansoor@yahoo.com) from Lahore, Pakistan
17 July 2005

The success of this film is a memorable landmark inasmuch that the violent legacy of action films pioneered and boosted by Amitab Bachan came to an end and movies again took a semi u-turn to social and family oriented depiction of human values that are more close to real life.

This romantic cum social legacy of Hindi movies came to an abrupt end by the release of movies, like "Sholay" and "Zanjeer" in early 70s, when Amitabh set the stage for his personification of a young angry man willing to turn violent. In this way, the cool, romantic and charming personality of Rajesh Khanna eclipsed to give way to the new Super Star.

HAKAK turned the tables, insofar, that this beautiful song studded and family drama having a focus on light merriment and jubilant frenzy took to the hearts of the audience and Salman Khan and Madhuri Dixit touched new heights of stardom ushering in a revived era of filmdom that is the touchstone of social and family drama.

All time best

Author: (zakir_md_99) from hyderabad
11 August 2000

This movie can definitely listed among the top 5 movies of all time . It Is a breezy movie with an ingradient of all nice things . It has ear soothing music, good performances and extremely good-good happenings going on . You wont feel bored even for a second .Though without a strong story , it is pure entertainment at its best .

Brilliant movie with culture, emotions and lots of FUN!

Author: rajandey from Netherlands
24 March 2009

This has got to be my most favorite movie ever! Even though i watched this movie over and over again i never get bored! The movie gives you an awesome performance by Salman Khan and a perfect performance by Madhuri Dixit!

Everything is absolutely rocking! The comedy, Songs, Locations, Costumes, Cast!

If you are not a fan of Salman Khan yet, this movie will make you a fan of him instantly, he is just lovable! The first three hours you will have a big smile on your face the whole time!

Double thumbs up for this everlasting classic in Indian cinema!

A great movie at its time

Author: kalyan-kancherla from United States
18 January 2013

People may dismiss this movie today as artificial and too cheesy but the fact remains it kept the box office cash registers ringing when it released in 1994 for years. Coming to the movie, it doesn't have any story at all but what keeps the audience glued to the movie is its tight screenplay, direction, melodious songs and the strong performances of every actor. The human relations shown were pure and simple. I must have watched this movie over and over again and every time I watched it, there was always a smile on my face and it always feels like a festival to me when I watch this movie. This movie brilliantly showcases the talented madhuri dixit.

simple story but fun, with great chemistry between Madhuri and Salman

Author: long-ford from India
28 January 2009

This is very very long but immensely enjoyable. There's very little storyline- a long Indian wedding replete with countless rituals followed by the fated lovers falling for each other. Yet it's fun. Madhuri has never looked better and she shares a great chemistry with Salman Khan. Some of the songs are very sweet and definitely worth watching. The climactic melodrama was unnecessary in my opinion and simply prolonged an already long film. Some of the constant dancing could also have been toned down a bit. But it's an Indian wedding so that's all right then!

Overall 7/10