IMDb > Holy Matrimony (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Holy Matrimony More at IMDbPro »

Moralist but Cute

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 May 2016

Havana (Patricia Arquette) and her boyfriend Peter (Tate Donovan) rob a large amount from the safe of her chief in the fair where she works. On the next morning, they see Peter on the front page headline. They realize that there was a hidden camera and now they are wanted by the police. They flee and Peter convinces Havana to travel to the Hutterite community where he was raised. He lies to his uncle Wilhelm (Armin Mueller-Stahl) and tells that Havana is his wife. They are forced to get married in the community to live together. Peter hides the money to force Havana to stay with him. However he has a car accident and dies. In accordance with the Hutterite traditions, Havana has to leave the village or marry Peter's brother, who is the boy Ezekiel (Joseph Gordon- Levitt). Havana needs more time to find the money and accepts to get married with the boy. Meanwhile the corrupt FBI Agent Markowski (John Schuck) is seeking Peter and Havana out to take their money for him.

"Holy Matrimony" is a moralist but cute comedy. Watching this 1994 film in 2016, it is funny to see the boy Joseph Gordon-Levitt. The twenty-six year-old Patricia Arquette is in the top of her beauty. Another attraction is the director Leonard "Mr. Spock" in his last work as a film director. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Santo Matrimônio" ("Holy Matrimony")

It was billed as a sexy comedy...I don't know where they got "sexy"...

Author: paprika_qt from Somewhere, Hereabouts
4 September 2004

...but all in all it wasn't so very painful.

It's hard to find an accurate descriptor for this movie. It was an effort...you sort of find yourself feeling the same way about it that you would about a child's school report read aloud...gently ignoring glaring flaws and nodding encouragingly.

Bonus points for including Hutterites in a movie. I bet a lot of people had no idea they even existed. Take away a few points for the gott-awful pseudogerman accents that everyone affected...they didn't work at all. Tate Donovan couldn't even keep the accent consistently...I thought at first he was acting "American" and then going back to German when he returned to the community...but then I heard American there too.

The plot had charm, but it was overall weak. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was very cute as Zeke, save a couple of stilted moments (in the car at the border). Patricia Arquette is generally a charming actress, but I found myself wincing a couple of times....("Jack...Daniels! Wooooooo!") The only character who seemed halfway authentic was Uncle Wilhelm, everyone else seemed uncomfortable and out-of-place.

The cover of the jacket bills it as a sexy comedy....I don't know where that came from....what sex?

Anyhow, it was sweet...not the best-directed or the best-acted, but it felt like the intention was there.

Amusing comedy about a couple hidden in a religious community

Author: ma-cortes
6 May 2008

The movie concerns on a thieves pair named Havana and Peter(Patricia Arquette, Tate Donovan) rob a country fair proprietary(Richard Riehle)and fled to only place where no one look for them. Both determine which the best way to avoid detection is to blend with the Hutterite community, an Amish-alike society and where Peter was raised by his parents(Armin Mueller Stahl, Lois Smith). Peter hides his loot in a secret hiding location, but then he soon dies in a car crash. His little boy brother named Ezequiel(Joseph Gordon Lewitt) is called to replace him and marry to Havana. She has to adjust to the new life style and his feeling for the boy. And end up interwoven a sensitive undercurrent of caring and she learns how to love all over again. Meanwhile, they're pursued by two agents(John Schuck, Courtney Vance).

This is an enjoyable comedy with good feeling, entertaining, agreeable humor and language is suitable for all. The main issue about this movie is from how she tries to adapt the new life whilst keeping up the presence of being a good woman . It's enough remarkable in portraying the Hutterite way of life sympathetically and the likable relationship of the juvenile marriage. It's understandable why it was not great success in the theatre, as it has not spectacular special effects , isn't a blockbuster , but for the television set , its's just what is required. The film takes parts here and there from ¨Witness¨(Peter Weir with Harrison Ford) and ¨For richer and poorer¨(Bryan Spicer with Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley). Colorful cinematography by Bukowski and emotive musical score by Bruce Broughton. The motion picture is professionally directed by the famous Leonard Nimoy, Spock . He's a good director of comedy-drama(Good mother, Funny about love, 3 men and a baby), Sci-Fi(Star Trek III and V) and occasionally for television(Deadly games,Night gallery, T.J. Hooker). Rating : Average but bemusing.

Really not as bad as everyone says

Author: hershiser2 from Virginia
9 July 2002

The film really isn't a bad film- sure it starts off on a bad note, but it does pick up. It is true that the best part about the film is Joseph Gordon-Levitt-- even in his younger days he was still a very believable actor. At first when I heard his accent, I was thinking "Oh no...," but when he's actually on camera for his longer scenes, you suddenly forget that he's as American as anyone, and has no real accent.

Without a doubt, this is a shining moment of young Gordon-Levitt's career (for later standouts, see Forever Lulu, aka Along for the Ride, Sweet Jane, and Manic). Too bad the movie wasn't a little bit better (but it's really not bad).

Matrimony that's Sinful but Rocking :-)

Author: manjodude
7 May 2011

Beautiful movie, friends. What starts of as a wild, greedy couple robbing money to live the good life turns out at the end as a story of lives changed from selfishness to selflessness, of pure love and simply that doing the right thing can heal any guilt you hold.

Sorry if I sounded somewhat mushy but Holy Matrimony was both comical & holy(kinda!). A very interesting storyline and so many hilarious scenes. And also moments where the our lead characters Havana(essayed very well by Patricia Arquette) learns life lessons from the child Ezekiel(wonderful acting by Inception fame Joseph Gordon-Levitt).

Truly, Joseph stole the show and can be regarded as the soul of the movie. And some really touching dialogues by both characters Havana and Ezekiel that leaves you impressed.

Maybe there could have been more action(like more thrilling chasing scenes by the bad guys) that would have been enough to push the movie a notch higher than the cool entertainment it is. Also, I was little annoyed by the fake laughing of some cops towards the final. But these are minor flaws in an otherwise enjoyable fare.

Though, I would caution children watching this as there are some nearly nude scenes of Havana.

Verdict: A delightful treat. Leaves you smiling from start to end.

Barely average, but not without charm

Author: Renaldo Matlin from Oslo, Norway
17 April 1999

Donovan brings girlfriend Arquette to his native Hutterite community in an attempt to hide from the law after a robbery. They marry but shortly after he dies and -in keeping with the biblical tradition- his 12 year old brother must take his place in the marriage! Joseph Gordon-Levitt is terrific as little Zeke, but the plot involving a crazed FBI-agent should have been left out of this story.

Lukewarm moral tale

Author: Brad Kruse from Ponca City, OK, USA
18 April 2006

I have this on LaserDisc, and watch it again now and then. I enjoy the depiction of the Hutterites and their moral life, and how they come to influence Arquette.

This is intended to be a strong, moral tale of the perils of evil, and how a good man can turn a bad woman around. Arquette starts out as a carnival worker obsessed with Marilyn Monroe, thinking that Monroe's cheerful public persona meant Monroe was happy. She considers how money would make her happy and doesn't think at all about what stealing is, when she helps stage a robbery.

Her accomplice, Tate, steals, drinks (while, *gasp*, driving!), and uses others, pretty consistently. Quite self-centered and moderately charming.

Watching the Hutterite community reluctantly admit Arquette first as Tate's wife, then as Gordon-Levitt's wife, we see a disciplined community, remaining steadfast and true to their teachings and beliefs. Arquette, on the other hand, we see first ridicule and play at adapting to the Hutterites, then later actually expressing their beliefs and values in her life.

The only Hutterite we see change is Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Who goes from a fainting exasperation of Arquette to a reluctant concern for her, to admiration and respect. This change occurs when Arquette stops reflecting the shallow culture she started out in, and begins to hold an appreciation for moral beliefs and respect. And, in the end, a love of family and friends.

The storytelling is a bit rougher than a Disney-type family film, nor was it popular for showing Godly beliefs as being comforting and supportive. The comedy is a bit earthy, mostly about clashing customs. The Hutterites are all shown to be consistently moral, cheerful, generous, and respectful. We don't get much of their actual teachings (a reclusive Jewis sect, I believe). I especially enjoy one scene where Gordon-Levitt challenges how Arquette picks a guy (from a bar), 'Is his word golden? Is he gentle with animals and children?' The movie plot may be weaker than need be, but it is told in a *nice* way.

Excellent movie!!!

Author: scuba024 from Bayonne, NJ
18 January 2001

Why can't more movies like this be put in for oscar awards. There is not much more to say than complete excellence. I just wish Dan Cossolini would do more movies. He is a superb actor & I believe it is a shame that he hasn't done any movies lately. This movie is a classic & you can't even find it on DVD. I wish I could get my hands on a copy!!!

Really cute

Author: DIE HARD-4 from Stockholm, Sweden
12 June 1999

"Holy Matrimony" is a very cute, heartwarming movie. It one of those films that make you feel really good when you've watched it. At least it made me feel that way. It has a good script and an equally good cast. And Patricia Arquette is looking good !! Hey what more do you need ?!?! Go rent and watch it !!

Pointless but Hilarious!!! A GREAT "Saturday afternoon" film

Author: elskootero (elskootero@hotmail.com) from Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
15 July 2006

I've seen this film twice and had to get the DVD! It is HILARIOUS! The actor who plays the young boy who faints every time he gets upset is a stitch, Patricia Arquette is perfect, and the supporting cast really make you think that they are Hutterites! (I'm not sure whether they are or not, I haven't found any info either way) : If they're actors, they're perfect, though. It's quite simply a superb escapist film as far as being entertaining goes. It grabs your attention from the first five minutes and keeps you through the entire film. The plot, the acting; all GREAT! Don't miss this one - If you see it, you'll want it in some format in your collection. That GOOD!