IMDb > Getting Even with Dad (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Getting Even with Dad More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Author: effgeevee from United Kingdom
16 January 2008

I've enjoyed this movie as easy watching for years since I accidentally recorded it off the TV. My sister and I've always assumed it was called "Paying Back Dad", because.. that's clearly a better title. :]

And that's my only complaint, beyond the occasional overly stupid pratfall.

Ted Danson plays a macho ex-con cake decorator who throws a plant out a window and falls over while ice-skating and still gets the lady, and Macaulay Culkin gets a musical segment. Also it opens with a heist, and the heart-warming climax happens on a bus. If you do not like these things, you are wrong!

Another great Mac Culkin film

Author: jamiem-20 from United States
12 May 2007

A great family film. I loved Mac's hair, I want it so much. It's about this 11-year old boy, Timmy Gleason (Mac Culkin) who sees his dad, Ray (Ted Danson) after years and years. All his dad cares about is getting some coins with his gawky friends Bobby (Saul Rubinek) and Carl (Gailard Sartain). Then after getting ignored, Timmy hides the coins somewhere and the only way they can get them back is if they do whatever he wants them to do with him. Then his dad meets a detective named Theresa Walsh (Glenne Headly) after Timmy comments on her scarf and then Ray falls in love with her. I loved the part when Timmy held up a bra and said 'Is this one of yours? Ooooooohhhh-la-la'. So rent it, watch it, laugh, and if you love it, own it. XD

Mediocre movie

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
27 December 2009

'Getting even with dad' is one of the last films staring Macaulay Culkin before he disappeared from the world of cinema for many years.

Here, Macaulay Culkin was in his early adolescence but didn't look much different than in previous films, except for the long hair. He actually looked great with that long hair.

Despite having, in my opinion, the most famous scream in film history, here Mac never screams. But he shows his beautiful smile as in other films. He could have had future as an actor, if his personal life hadn't become the mess it was.

The movie is by no means a copy of 'Home Alone' but some of its ideas have a certain similarity to those films - mostly the fact that Macaulay Culkin plays a character who outsmarts the crooks (in this case 3 instead of 2).

This is not a bad film but it's nothing great either. It's mediocre. It's only *really* worth for Macaulay Culkin. In fact, I only recommend it to fans of Macaulay Culkin. Mac, as usual, is great, but aside him no one else has particularly good actings in this film.

As for the crooks, Bobby is the worst of the three. He is way more aggressive than the others - and he has a sick sense of humor, such as when he grabs a rat. Carl is harmless comparing to the others - he's more of a poor devil than anything else and, unlike Bobby, he hesitates before doing anything and seems to redeem himself at the end.

Despite being a relatively poor film, it has its good moments, such as Mac dancing at the sound of the great song 'Do you love me?' (from the movie 'Dirty Dancing'). Also, being a car lover, I've gotta say this: I love that car which Mac has a ride in the beginning - a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado. That is one heck of a car!

What a Disaster!

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
12 February 2004

Getting Even with Dad

Awful story about a smart-a$$ed kid (Macaulay Culkin) who goes to live with his crook of a father (Ted Danson) and ends up stealing his father's (and accomplices') stash of money they've stolen from a bank. He promises to give it back if his dad hangs out with him and treats him like most sons.

There's a lot of feuding between father and son in this dismal and unfortunate tale that tries to prove kids are smarter than their parents and can control them with a bit of blackmail. If this movie had been released thirty years ago...I can only imagine what parents would have done to the copies.

Besides, apart from the stupid message of the film, it's just a bad movie. Macaulay Culkin has finally outgrown his childhood and for once the critics started to notice he couldn't act (like he ever could! He got lucky with "Home Alone"--it was good because of Pesci and the rest of the cast, not him). Danson is equally annoying in the role of his father, who seems to have been born without a personality. Yes, Danson is very watered down in this movie. To be honest, I don't blame him--this is the type of stuff that belongs on made-for-TV movies. You know your career has hit rock-bottom when you're in something like this.

And just think, this was made somewhere around ten years ago.

What a disaster.

* / *****

A true American classic comedy!

Author: RaveCulk
12 September 2000

Getting Even With Dad takes Macaulay Culkin's "Home Alone" magic and applies it to another hilarious plot! Mac shines in this 1994 romp that takes him on a hilarious journey through San Francisco along with Ted Danson of "Cheers" fame. Mac is glowing with charm and probably his best hairstyle to date. It is a "must-see" in my book. 10 out of 10.

Author: ( from Cleveland, OH
4 August 2001

I saw this movie on an Amtrak train, and I almost jumped off! I had a 48 hour trip, and I was sick of reading, so I went to see the nightly entertainment, which was this steaming lump of doggie poop. Oh man, was this movie bad.

I like Ted Danson, and MacCauley Culkin is O.K. and all, but there's absolutely nothing remotely interesting going on in this movie. Rent this for the 10 and under set, or better yet, hand them a book.

This is one dumb movie.

Lame and Worthless

Author: Pat-88
30 July 1999

This movie was so boring. This movie is meant for people who probably have a IQ below zero. This movie is garbage. Little kids might liked this movie, if they're fans of the Home Alone movies. But Adults BEWARE!!!

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]