IMDb > For the Love of Nancy (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

For the Love of Nancy (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Its me...Nancy Walsh...totally misrepresented!

Author: (wonderwomn@msn.com) from United States
6 December 2006

I couldn't help but comment on my own movie story due to the ignorant and very upsetting comment I just read..So many years I thought that my movie would do others good since I became anorexic in the early 90's (not the 70's like the last person stated). However even in the 90's no one really talked about it or new much about it for that matter, even myself. Even while it was happening I didn't know. The movie idea was presented to me and I decided to go with it since it was the only way I new how to reach out to people, and it wasn't for money because I didn't get barely anything and no royalties. SO get that idea out of your head. From most feedback it unfortunately did more harm than good. I hear a lot about it being a poor movie, but to go into medical detail in the movie would bore anyone out of watching it anyway so they did the best they could with it by keeping it light but informative. It definitely did NOT go into detail or show the horror of it. It was definitely not a detailed informative movie. It was just to bring awareness to society and show one woman's struggle. It was a horrific and still is a nightmare I cannot get out of my head. There is no relief and no cure. I am a healthy woman and a mother of 2 beautiful children now who will hopefully never follow in my footsteps. God bless them! Its a constant struggle but my children help me get through every day when I look at their little faces. Anyway, I was NOT babied all my life I was, and still am the most independent woman you will ever meet. Also YES my parents did take me to court for medical guardianship to save my life. I was 18 and made my own dumb decisions at that age. That is what saved my life. I saw my dad crying in the courtroom (which I had never seen my dad cry in my life). At that point I said WOW look how much he really does love me. That was what it took, I guess to feel the love is what made me start to help myself. GOd bless anyone who is reading this that is in need of help. It is the hardest thing you will ever go through!

Kudos to Tracey Gold.....who obviously

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
1 December 2005

took a risk with this movie. Dealing with this issue is complex, and even posters here have critiqued her for "looking healthy". Since this is true to her own story, I feel this is a very important point; why is it still so acceptable that Kate Moss, for example, is the female ideal, and Delta Burke is not??? (rhetorical question) The Lifetime Movie is done very well, in that it may be slow at times, but shows Nancy's increasing alienation from her friends. Jill Clayburgh is quite believable as the mother, and William Devane seems very sensitive; blames himself, as the father.

Primarily, this is a good "message" movie, which I think is one of Lifetime's strong points; while you may not have a "masterpiece"; you have an excellent TV film that people watch; with the current system of healthcare in crisis; this may be the best psychotherapy most Americans can get for psychological issues. If you have a child struggling with these issues, or are curious, it is definitely worth watching. Another similar film I would highly recommend is "Hunger Point", with Barbara Hershey; a film that deals with similar issues in a sensitive way.

This is a great movie

Author: Kate from Wisconsin, U.S.
24 May 2003

I saw this movie in school and thought it was fantastic and a great message to people who have struggled or are struggling through anorexia nervosa. I think Tracey Gold is a great actress and she did excellent in this role since she is a recovered anorexic. I think this is a movie everyone should enjoy and i have heard that people think this movie leads people to become anorexic, but i don't think that's true. Tracey Gold sent off a good message by doing this movie.

wonderful, inspiring movie

Author: radigurl from United States
26 January 2006

When I first saw this movie, I myself was anorexic, so it definitely made an impression on me. Tracy Gold is a wonderful actress in general, but in this movie especially, really bringing to life the struggles that Nancy goes through. There are parts in the movie where I was close to tears, not just because it hit close to home, but because of the realism and the way the story was portrayed. Most Lifetime movies that I've seem are pretty good at sending out a positive message, and this one is no exception. I would definitely recommend this movie to my friends, to anyone wanting to see a realistic movie about eating disorders, and to anyone who is interested in this true story genre.

Excellent movie dealing with a difficult subject!

Author: lazydazy1pm from United States
30 July 2006

I really liked this movie because not only was it so true to life but also this is an issue that a lot of people don't understand and i feel that tracey gold did a very good job at portraying a young woman who's deep rooted insecurities cause her to nearly kill herself by self induced starvation and i think that anorexia nervosa is a very serious and deadly psychiatric condition that claims many lives and also the fact that tracey herself brought her own life experiences as a recovering anorexic into the role was what made the movie even more commendable. Eating disorders are an epidemic across the country and i would really like to see more movies and people maybe trying to raise awareness on how serious and life threatening these types of disorders can be and movies like this are a step towards making people more aware of the seriousness and harsh reality of what having an eating disorder is really like!

An interesting and educational made-for-TV drama

Author: David krasnow (stargirlrk@yahoo.com) from Ann Arbor, MI
10 May 2003

I originally watched this film in Health class while studying eating disorders and other self-image diseases and I thought that it would never be very good. But it is pretty good, especially for a Lifetime channel made-for-TV movie. It is about a young girl named Nancy who becomes anorexic to the point where she is running nearly all day and disposes of food given to her by her watchful mother by hiding it under her bed and even knocking out a hole in the wall to dump food into. This film was full of drama and showed the damage that anorexia nervosa can do not only to the person infected with it, but to the victim's family (Nancy almost died). This was good and I recommend it to anyone. But if you or anyone in your family has been anorexic you should stay away, as it is sure to bring back bad memories. Feel free to email me with any questions or comments.

excellent

Author: calif21
21 March 2003

I think that this movie did a really good job of getting across the message about how serious anorexia really is. It is one of the best movies about eating disorders that I have ever seen. Most of the movies are not life like at all. This movie did a great job of not giving away tips to anorexics watching it.

A powerful drama

Author: arlene_mcginness from Scotland
28 June 2004

I found this film very powerful, particularly as it was based on a true story. Some of the other comments made about it were inaccurate and I felt the need to correct them. Someone said that Nancy wouldn't have eaten pizza hours before getting her teeth pulled; but Nancy's brother clearly said their mother had made the appointment - Nancy didn't know about it until after she got home from the prom. It didn't explain why wisdom teeth got pulled - did they have to explain every insignificant detail? Many people get them pulled because they are growing in wrong and painfully. Tracey Gold chose to play the role - no one forced her to. And her performance was convincing, probably more so because of her own anorexia. It showed one line dance during the prom - maybe it was something the students did as a fun change; like when Whigfield's Saturday Night came out and you couldn't go to any disco without it being played. A lot of people like to have a dance routine to follow, so a line dance makes sense. A lot of people, including parents, don't see the signs that someone they love has an eating disorder, especially if they believe the person to be happy. Also, this episode happened in the 70s when there wasn't nearly as much exposure about anorexia. i doubt the movie was made to 'help people out'; more likely someone saw the potential in it, or perhaps they were moved by the story and wanted to make their own version of it. I assume Nancy Walsh really was taken to court by her parents, as the film is based on a true story. This is not unbelievable; similar things have happened. Someone blamed the film for their weight gain - I seriously hope they were joking as this is the flimsiest excuse I've heard yet. 'Nancy is a very grating character who screams and throws fits' - has this person ever dealt with an anorexic person? Their eating disorder is the one thing that matters to them - wouldn't you have a hissy fit if everyone you knew was determined to take away the one thing that mattered to you? 'never truly explains why she has this disease' - the basic explanation was given: Nancy had been babied all her life, was emotionally dependent on her mother and couldn't face being separated from her family, not to mention the responsibility of being an adult. Eating disorders are complex; often there are no easy explanations. Of course everyone has different views on films, and not everyone likes the same ones. But maybe people should get their facts straight before shooting their mouth off.

Good example of Lifetime rules of moviemaking

Author: Ed Uthman (uthman@airmail.net) from Houston, Texas
23 January 2002

This movie does genuinely pull on the heartstrings of any

family-oriented person without descending into two-hanky land,

but I recommend it especially for study of the technical points that

comprise the Lifetime Network canon of film making. Note the soft

pastels, the bright but gauzy backlighting in every scene, the

sumptuous but pointedly unoffending set decoration, and the

feminine-but-somewhat-retro hairstyles of the female characters.

These films provide an experience as reliable as attending mass.

The main character, played by Tracy Gold, is _very_ thin, so I can

believe that she has had problems with anorexia nervosa in real

life. In addition to her rather disturbing physique, the makeup

artists have done a fine job in making her face change in

accordance with the varying severity of her condition. The ending of

the film is uplifting; if only real cases like this should end so well.

Rating: 5/10

I'm Addicted to This Stuff!

Author: Jubilee-3 from New Jersey
23 April 1999

Seriously, I am. Some weekends, I just veg out and watch Lifetime all day, to see the Made for TV movies. I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on these by now. This one in particular is a favorite of mine. It has a good story, solid performances, and closure at the end. Normally, a happy ending isn't so important at the end of a movie, but when it's made for TV, it becomes a must (though I did see one that went against this rule, but I hated it. True stories always suck). So, my point is, if you want an emotion-filled afternoon, watch this when it comes on the Women's Network.