IMDb > Drop Zone (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drop Zone

Drop Zone More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Exciting and amusing movie about an undercover agent infiltrated in the skydiving sport

Author: ma-cortes
3 May 2005

The tale deals with U.S. Marshal (Wesley Snipes) who along with his brother (Malcolm Jamal Warner) are caring a convict (Michel Jeter) into a Boeing plane . Then he is abducted by a villain (Gary Busey) and underlings (Luca Bercovici and Claire Stanfield) and dropped in parachute . Snipes sets off in pursuit and is signed up in a skydiving airport instruction (managed by Yancy Butler) with the aim to resolve the issue .

It's an action-ride movie from start to finish and the intrigue is continued . This solid though predictable thriller contains dazzling airborne stunts which keeps you tied on the edge of your seat . The film mingles suspense , tension , thriller, action-packed and is very entertaining because happens several events . The final confrontation amongst the protagonist and enemies is stimulating and breathtaking . Mind-numbing and incredible storyline is redeemed by breathtaking skydiving scenes . If you can suspend you disbelief , this crime-adventure is just enjoyable and keep you entertained . The movie is fast moving and the action pace is rightly directed and for that reason the flick isn't boring , nor dreary but is bemusing . Of course , the spotlights and great climax of the film are the flight scenes , it is spellbound and overwhelming . There aren't special effects but ¨stunts¨ who make it astounding . Wesley Snipes interpretation is good , he is making an important step as an action movie hero-star (Blade) . Gary Busey plays very nice the nasty role , as usual , and Yancy Butler is enticing and enjoyable . Hans Zimmer music is fine but with too much tuning knob and little symphonic music .

The motion picture collaborated to create the ¨ skydiving genre film ¨ whose initial outing was ¨The Gypsy Moths¨(1969) by John Frankenheimer , thus has a certain remembrance to : ¨Break Point¨ (Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves) , ¨Terminal velocity¨ (with Charlie Sheen and Natassja Kinski) and ¨Cutaway¨ (Tom Berenger and Stephen Baldwin) . The motion picture was correctly directed by the veteran Joh Badham with assured and fast moving direction . Badham's breakthrough credit was the box office smash Fever Saturday night (1977) ; other hits on his resume include The Blue Thunder (1983), War games (1983), and Shortcircuit (1986). He's a nice director who achieved his greatest success in the 80s and 90s . He directed several hits (Nick of time , Skateout ,Point of No Return , Bird on a wire) , though today making TV movies (Jack Bull , Floating away) and television episodes (Crossing Jordan, Psych, Las Vegas, Standoff , Heroes). In addition , ¨Drop zone¨ film in which the action lovers will enjoy this ode to the skydiving sport, in spite of story deficiencies . Rating : Good , worthwhile watching .

Enjoy this hearty action movie

Author: Elijah-19 from U.S.
13 February 2002

Drop Zone is an action ride from start to finish starring Wesley Snipes as a detective hunting down the men who killed his brother. No, the movie won't win any academy awards, but it is a thoroughly enjoyable action romp. The action is excellent, the girls are gorgeous, and the musical score is top notch. If you go in looking for a touching movie, don't bother. But if you just want something to enjoy for a couple hours of visual fun that requires little mental exercise, this will do quite nicely.

A movie I love

Author: AlexRem from New Haven, Connecticut
29 August 2005

Although it's utterly ridiculous, I really, really enjoy this movie. Badham is a fine, if underrated action/thriller director; WarGames is great, Nick of Time is good, and his other notable movies include Stakeout, Saturday Night Fever, and The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings. He keeps Drop Zone moving quickly enough that suspended disbelief doesn't lift, which is a good thing considering that the bad guys are rogue skydivers. Seriously. Fortunately, the head bad guy is played by Gary Busey, who could make an interior decorator evil.

There's some great aerial photography, and it makes skydiving look awesome. It's extremely well-paced, the supporting cast is likable, and the script is enjoyably amusing. Snipes is one of the premier action stars of his generation, and his presence alone can elevate a movie from the mediocre to the above average. And Yancy Butler is absolutely smoking. End of story.

This movie is actually one of the more compulsively watchable to be released at the end of the action movie renaissance of the mid-'80s to mid-'90s. I'd watch it right now, even though I just saw it last night. My definition of a good movie.

your typical action movie

Author: jericho31 from trenton, nj
11 March 2002

Drop Zone is pretty much your typical action movie - at least plot wise. Wesley Snipes turns in another passenger 57ish performance, not great but competent. and Gary Busey is always competent playing a guy you always want to die no matter how bad the plot gets.

The movie however, is worth watching more than other bland action movies because firstly, the skydiving scenes are shot wonderfully. The cinematographer and the stuntpeople (unless thats Snipes in a free fall, which i doubt) are the true stars of this one. I really enjoyed watching the skydiving sequences in this movie.

plot wise, the movie kinda plods along, not a whole lot of suspense but enough of a story to keep people entertained. I think its worth watching at least once, purely for the skydiving and action sequences.

Also, besides being a fairly competent actress - one I can actually believe skydives - Yancy Butler is really hot.

Watchable popcorn

Author: Maziun from Poland
15 September 2013

This movie was made at the same time as „Terminal velocity" with Charlie Sheen. Some people are complaining that one movie is a rip-off the other. To be honest I don't know who is right. I don't really care. Both movies are on the same level. Both are decent popcorn movies to kill some time. Nothing to write home about.

I have a soft spot for Gary Busey and I'm happy that he's the villain in "Drop zone" . Wesley Snipes as hero is nice , because he gives his rather generic hero some depth. You can obviously feel his pain.

The movie has some quite attractive photography and interesting music. It also gives us some insight at the skydivers community.

All in all it's not a bad way to spend a night. I give it 5/10.

WESLEY & BUSEY AT THEIR VERY BEST.

Author: FIVEDOLPHINS from SOUTH DAKOTA
10 September 2002

I watch this movie at least once a month, just for "the adreneline rush". Sometimes, as often as needed! Wesley really pushes to the edge in this one.

The entire cast were excellent! Including Mr. Busey, of course.

The writers and casters of the movie did really well with little details, like turf fights, base not on race, but on the fact that "you are not welcome here". Then there was "The Title On The Book" Wesley was reading while flying on the jetliner.

He didn't get the girl, but he did achieve more mile stones in the movie world for all of us, as one people.

"Skydivers" with a big budget

Author: Mike Sh. (michaelshannon123@comcast.net) from Lowell MA
2 January 2001

<*sigh!*> Am I the only one this entire sad, weary world who notices that all these action films use the exact (and I mean exact!) same plot? Or am I just the only one who cares?

As action movies go, this one is OK, I guess. (But that's a little bit like saying "As cases of diarrhea go, this one was OK.") On the plus side, the aerial photography depicting the skydiving scenes was spectacular. There were the requisite number of explosions, chase scenes, and witty banter on the part of both the hero (Wesley Snipes) and the villain (Gary Busey), delivered archly in the expectation that one of their ripostes might become a popular catchphrase. And Yancy Butler is not too hard to look at, either.

However, if I pay $8 or $9$ to watch a film, I expect a little more than something made from a cookie cutter. Hollywood spends a great deal of time, effort and money putting together movies with extraordinary special effects, and they've become quite good at it. OK, so I'm impressed! Can't a few more of them work a little bit on story, characterization and dialogue? Is that really too much to ask?

As I watched this movie (and to be fair, I stumbled across it on television rather than paying an exorbitant ticket price at the theater; this probably made me more disposed to be tolerant) All I could think was that this is what Coleman Francis might have made had he had a bigger budget. Maybe he would have thrown in more coffee, cigarettes, booze and bad tempered swearing as well.

U.S.Marshal chases skydiving criminals

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
17 June 2007

i liked this movie,but i didn't love it.if you like watching people jump out of parachutes,you'll enjoy this one.there are a few good action sequences,including a involving bad guys kidnapping someone from a 747 at 38,000 feet and escaping with parachutes.Wesley Snipes is in this one as a U.S Marshal on their trail and he also has a personal stake in catching them.he has some decent fighting scenes,but he has been better.Malcolm-Jamal Warner also appears in a definite departure from his Cosby Days character of Theo Huxtable. Gary Busey is also in the movie,and is his usual reliable self.Michael Jeter is also good for some laughs.and of course,for eye candy,we have Yancy Butler,who is also a fairly good actress.at least i have always thought so.when you put everything together,the movie is pretty good though not great.still, i enjoyed it for the most part.my vote for "Drop Zone":7/10

this could have been a great film if was executed well

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
20 November 2012

sadly the director had no idea how to finish the climax because the whole story could have looked fantastic if the climax was superb.

the cast was nice Wesley snipes & Yancy butler doing comedy & most action was done by Yancy butler specially the air action in which she skydives & grabs snipes.& later on the sea shore snipes punches her was hilarious.

i loved Yancy in hard target & this is the second film of her i saw.

now the story is about few convicts escaping from a plane & snipes as a cop goes after them with the help of Jessie a sky diving instructor.

this was a good concept & i felt many things were missing the scenes were not filmed correctly.leaving holes in the plot such as Jessie wanted to shoot the guy in the plane but she did not,if Jessie would have shot him because she was alone going after the bad guys that would have been epic as this whole build up to the climax never make any sense

its just a one time watch film don't expect anything from it.there are some nice stunts worth looking rest is boring.

my rating is 5/10 .i can only give 5 points so far watch drop zone 1994 for Yancy butler she owned this film.

Fun parachuting action film!

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
16 November 2010

This might not be a great film but it is a lot of fun. Wesley Snipes plays US Marshall Pete Nessip, when he and his partner are ordered to transport a prisoner it seems like a routine job until their plane is hijacked. The hijackers take the prisoner and parachute out of the plane, unfortunately Pete's seniors don't believe this is possible and assume the hijackers and the prisoner died in the explosion caused when Pete's partner shot one of the hijackers. Pete is suspended but he won't drop the case; after asking around as to who might possibly be able to pull such as stunt he goes to the local sky diving school where he meets Jessie Crossman, an attractive female parachutist who isn't unknown to the law. It isn't long before he learns that the real bad guys are another group of parachutists led by Ty Moncrief, an ex-DEA agent who is selling the identities of undercover agents. In order to stop Ty, Pete must join Jessie's group and learn to sky dive himself.

The lead actors; Wesley Snipes, Gary Busey and Yancy Butler all put in decent enough performances and the story moves along at a cracking pace with lots of impressive sky-diving action, some good fight scenes and an explosive shoot out at the end. The only real flaw in the action sequences were the close-ups during the parachuting scenes where it didn't look as though the actors were really parachuting. As is usually the case with action films there was a decent amount of humour thrown in; mostly involving Kyle Secor's character 'Swoop'.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]