IMDb > Dragstrip Girl (1994) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dragstrip Girl (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Memory from My Past

Author: Air America from United States
12 August 2009

It was hard to rate this fairly because I grew up in 1957 and drove a hot rod '33 Ford with a hopped-up '47 Ford flathead. We lived to race the rich kids with the '57 Chevys and '58 Corvettes. The story line was very near to how things were in 1957 only we did not boost cars and strip for parts, just an occasional "midnight requisition" of a Stromberg carburetor or some linkage or maybe some chrome from the local salvage yard. I had Latino friends too in a nearby city who ran a custom car body shop and from whom I learned to work lead with a paddle. I also saw much fact in the "dragstrip" activities only we used a diagonal highway outside our town. We usually scoped out the local State Trooper to be sure he was not working.

The Los Angeles connection made it reminiscent of her mother and how Natasha Richardson Wagner's mother, Natalie Wood also served to flag two drag racers in "Rebel Without A Cause," which became a cult classic for us. The story was pure screenwriter work contrasting the "haves" with the "have-nots" and the similar ending involving a death. This part I thought was done particularly well avoiding to much racism, though it was touched on. I thought the acting was fairly good given this was early roles for most of the actors. In all, I recommend it for a nostalgia factor but today's hip-hop crowd may find it too juvenile. I believe you old people like me will like it also.

Decent juvie pic

Author: John Seal from Oakland CA
10 November 2000

This is one of the better entries in the Showtime Rebel Highway series of AIP remakes. Its storyline doesn't rise above the usual simplistic TV movie of the week cliches, but it is intelligently acted by Mark Dacascos and Natasha Gregson Wagner. An excellent soundtrack, partly recorded by Los Lobos, adds character and grit.

Young thief falls in love with a rich girl, his whole world falls apart.

Author: illinea68 from Germany
15 August 2005

I rated this movie 3, because it has a real weak storyline. The acting is... lets say under the average, not that the actors had a good chance with this script. O.K. Young, handsome guy steals cars without hurting anybody. He falls in love with a rich girl by just seeing her once, gets punched by her boyfriend. To impress her, he stops thinking, steals a new car and forgets his principles. On the second meeting... sex. Not that I say anything against sex... but this movie plays in the 50s! A relatively senseless car race ends all, the little brother of our "hero" being dead. I'm sorry, but that was far too weak for me. Almost everything was predictable, too many loose ends and not enough 50s feeling and style for a movie set in this time.