IMDb > D2: The Mighty Ducks (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
D2: The Mighty Ducks

D2: The Mighty Ducks More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A Childhood classic for those who enjoyed being a kid.

Author: EmpressClaudia from USA
17 November 2004

I love this movie and the other two movies in this series. I believe that it is the best of the series b/c it was a lot lighter than the other two. My favourite part might have been in the end when everyone is around the campfire and they burst into a horrible version of "We Are The Champions." Though it was horrible it was hilarious and very cocky. I'm sure all of us would break into this song after beating everyone in the world in hockey....though it's hard to believe Canada didn't kick Americas asses. I am a fan of Queen also and I believe this movie may have had a great deal with that as well.As a girl I have to say that when I was ten this was the first movie that I saw boys for more than just stupid pricks. If you want to be a kid again watch this movie and enjoy but don't bash it b/c it wasn't made to entertain teenagers and adults.

The Greatest Film of All Time

Author: aclott789 from United States
3 February 2006

This is clearly above and beyond all other movies ever made and it definitely deserves the number one ranking on IMDb. It's not even close. Why, you ask? Only because it has everything a movie could possibly need. Think about it, you've got Coach Gordon Bombay, Pacey from Dawson's Creek, kids from Morgan Park High School in Chicago(I live a block away!) which actually does not have a hockey team, Keenan's knuckle puck, Team Iceland, Goldberg for comic relief, the team from Trinidad & Tobago whose fans play Caribbean drums after they score a goal, that hot chick from Maine, and We Are the Champions! Come on, it doesn't get any better.

Evereybody now, "Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!"

The last good Estevez movie

Author: Cinema_Love from Canada
20 March 2005

Unfortunetely for us, the Estevez & Mighty Ducks fan, this was the last good ''theater'' movie of Emilio. It is very sad to say but it's the truth. That movie is really funny, you laugh even if it's way too much stupid. The cast play well their characters and they add new characters so it add a bit of fantasy in the movie for their new plot. It's not half the 1st but still it's pretty good! It's your typical fast-food sequel made for the big bucks but hey, they do what they can with that plot, it failed but for the fans it was a success!! Estevez always do movie at that time (D2, Judgment Night, Another Stakeout, Loaded weapon...) that man was everywhere and he was indeed my favorite, that's an actor I really miss!

The Quack Attack is Back, Jack!

Author: Meifumado
7 February 2002

Rising like a phoenix from the ashes, D2 spreads its wings and soars to new heights of artistic merit. D2 is the rarest of sequels, a sequel that is truly better than the original. All of the jagged edges in the original film's plot have been streamlined, and the new ground being broken, (Self-Doubt, Conquering your fears, Sexual Identity) fit in seamlessly, giving this film a more robust feel, similar to that of Chunky Soup. Emilio Estevez (In his star-making role) plays coach Bombay with a smoldering fury that makes it very clear that he is Martin Sheen's favorite son. The rest of the cast is equally brilliant, especially the ducks themselves, whose performances are so real, you cant help believing that they are truly kids. The direction is bold yet beautiful, and instantly recalls that of the early german surrealists. The electronic score by Goblin is eerily effective in creating suspense in both the game and locker room scenes, and lets the viewer know that this isnt a game anymore, and that national pride is on the line. A masterpiece of baroque visuals and dry wit, D2 is a most worthy rental upon your next excursion to the video store.

as good if not better than the original

Author: steve layne
4 October 1999

i liked this movie as good if not better than the original. some of the players are missing from the first movie,but the new players make-up for it. this movie is a tad more serious than the original. more nicely done hockey games,and amusing antics by the hockey players. if you liked the first movie,then i don't see why you wouldn't like this one. i give D2: the mighty ducks *** out of ****

Estevez is used efficiently; everything else is used haphazardly

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
22 November 2012

"This isn't a hockey game, it's a circus." - Coach Gordon Bombay, D2: The Mighty Ducks.

Rarely does a movie character sum up his movie so well. D2: The Mighty Ducks is a circus; a cacophony of conflicts, dopey characters, fighting, eccentricities, miscommunications, clichés, and inpenetrable goofiness. Here's a movie sequel that continues to beat a dead horse into the ground by offering the public a sequel to a Disney movie that can only be liked by reciting the word "nostalgia" or "nostalgic." At this point, it isn't that The Mighty Ducks films are bad movies in the usual sense, but it's that they are so unambitious, uninspired, and bland that it makes it hard to accept them as "take it for what it is" entertainment and harder to like them on the typical "good movie" level. Emilio Estevez, still portraying the greatly motivated man driven on the idea of success, reprises his role as Gordon Bombay, who the opening credits show us has gone on to be a minor league hockey player being seriously considered for his first NHL appearance until he injured during a breakneck game.

Now, Bombay's chances are done and he talks to a close friend about making money, until opportunity knocks when the idea of him coaching Team U.S.A.'s hockey team in the Junior Goodwill Games is proposed. Bombay quickly signs a suit's contract, bands the Ducks together again, and they quickly rustle up the skills and the motivation to win at this year's event and show audiences that Ducks stick together.

Need I go further? Should I mention that the kids are now teenagers, yet are still as brazen and as goofy as they were in the first film? Should I go on to mention that Bombay becomes too consumed with coaching a more honored and admired team, and lets all the pressure gets to his head to the point where he is scolding and yelling at his players? Ned I mention that this newfound consumption on Bombay's part has greatly upset a number of players, fueling Ducks-heckler Russ Tyler (Kenan Thompson) to aggravate the players? And do I even need to mention that in the third act the Ducks will discover Tyler's surefire knucklepuck and graciously adopt him to the team? One can also make note of the never-ending barrage of one-liners the film haphazardly includes in order to sound hip, motivating, and high-spirited. When one of the only girl players is called a "lady," she forcefully replies, "I'm no lady, I'm a duck!" And when the Ducks face their opponents from Iceland, the crowd chants, "We will, we will quack you!" in attempt to see how much the audience can cringe in a small period of time.

This is kids sports movie-making 101, although it's not harmful as much as it is non-beneficial to any of its viewers. It provides sweet, genial escapist delight and I believe that's what a number of Disney-movie fans seek, which in that case, renders D2: The Mighty Ducks a success according to them. To me, the film is overly long and winded, still far to content with capitalizing on the surprise success of its predecessor, is chock full of clichés, and anchored by its dull characters and formulaic premises. I guess you can also say I'm getting tired of hearing "We are the Champions" at the end of the picture further capitalizing on "the in-game spirit." At least the film knows one thing and that's how to properly utilize Estevez.

Starring: Emilio Estevez, Joshua Jackson, Michael Tucker, and Kenan Thompson. Directed by: Sam Weisman.

Okay...?

Author: dpoll390 from United States
15 July 2005

***SPOILER ALERT*** This movie isn't a complete and utter disaster, but it is pretty damn bad. I honestly just think that Disney should have left it alone, but no, they had to go and make a sequel to a really good movie.

OK...the story sort of picks up where it left off, Grdon Bombay is in the minors and while playing he receives a leg injury, so he returns back home. Then he's asked to coach Team USA in the Junior Winter Olympic Games. Of course this makes Bombay get all his ducks back together, still missing a few from the first movie, but i think for the most part they were acceptable losses, with the exception of Karp. Then they go off to play, they start to win when...oh my God, surprisingly there's a team better than them that they will have to overcome. And heres the most original part, they face them in the finals...gasp...and even more original than that...they win. oooooo...

The humor in this is even less mature and more for kids than the first. Which I think really killed the movie. The characters I think were the only likable attributes of this movie. Especially the addition of Dean Portman.

The movie was also infested with music by Queen...watch out.

Overall not as good as the first, by any means. 3.5/10

Addition Of New Characters Vaults This One Past The Original

Author: zkonedog from United States
4 March 2017

The first "Mighty Ducks" movie captured the essence of "hockey humor". With the addition of some new characters, "D2" manages to outshine even its quack-tacular predecessor.

For a basic plot summary, this movie sees the Ducks reunite under Coach Gordon Bombay (Emilio Estevez) as Team USA for the Junior Olympics. Besides the usual team leaders such as Charlie (Joshua Jackson) and Adam Banks (Vincent Larusso), newcomers like Julie "The Cat" Gaffney (Colombe Jacobsen), "Cowboy" Dewayne Robertson (Ty O'Neal), and Russ Tyler (Kenan Thompson), to name but a few, via for spots on the team. The team to beat in the tournament is Iceland, coached by big, bad Wolf "The Dentist" Stansson (Carsten Norgaard), who completely intimidates all-comers.

"D2" is better than the original because of the crazy new characters that inject new life into the precedings. The "old gang" is still as funny as ever, but every new character in this film is better than any of the originals (save maybe for Lester Averman (Matt Doherty)).

This movie pretty much follows along with the same themes as the first one, those being the "sacred nature of hockey" and "having fun over winning". For those who like sports movies or hockey in general, this one will have you laughing even louder than the first one.

A Bigger Sequel, But Not Better

Author: gavin6942 from United States
23 December 2016

Gordon Bombay is forced to withdraw from the minor hockey league with a knee injury. Much to his surprise, he is given the job of coach of Team USA Hockey for the Junior Goodwill Games in California. With most of the Ducks and a few new players in tow, he sets forth for LA.

When you have a sequel, you have to make it bigger and better. This film is possibly bigger, because now the kids are playing in some sort of Olympic-like setting against a team from Iceland. So the pressure is much greater. But is it better? Not really. It's rather flat with no plot development, character development or surprises.

Fans of the first film might like this, especially because it will allow them to just relax for 90 minutes and not have to invest themselves. It's a good movie to play in the background. Also, Leah Lail is in it.

What the Puck!? This movie makes no sense. Despite that, it's still a guilty pleasure watch of mine.

Author: ironhorse_iv from United States
16 March 2016

As a kid of the 1990s, 'The Mighty Ducks' trilogy (1992-1996) was one of my favorite sport movies at the time. It's the movie that got me, interested in hockey. It had a very positive message about teamwork, sportsmanship and overcoming adversity. However, the sequel to the first movie does have the most faults, out of the three. It's something I can't overlook. Directed by Sam Weisman, the movie has Gordon Bombay (Emilio Estevez) returning from the minor leagues after a major knee injury forced him out. While rehabbing he is offered the role as coach of Team USA in an international hockey tournament known as the Jr. Goodwill Games. With that job, comes with him, reuniting with his old Pee-Wee Hockey Team, the Mighty Ducks, as well as a few new players in tow. Without spoiling the movie, too much, I was somewhat disappointing, when this movie came out, because the fact that the Mighty Ducks wasn't going to defend their Pee-Wee Hockey title. After all, I kinda love, the Hawks Vs Ducks rivalry. Still, I did like the new idea of them, playing in a Junior Olympic type settling. It made the games, a lot more challenging, despite D2 follows the same formula as its predecessor. Also, the fact that Team USA is made out of the majority of the Mighty Ducks team, seem very illogical. First off, the team were so bad at hockey in the first movie, that they only made their local hockey playoffs, because another team got the measles. That's doesn't make them, the best junior hockey players the United States has to offer, at all. Also, wouldn't the Ducks need a couple of more wins under their belt, be needed to even, be consider to represented their countries!? One big win doesn't make you, the best. Even Bombay as the coach makes little sense. He has been an amateur coach at a junior level for a single season of local pee-wee hockey. Before that, he was a lawyer. It's not like he was a seasoned coach or player. Also, he was mostly drunk when he coached the Ducks in the first movie. So, how is that, make great coaching!? The fact, that he spent most of the movie, eating up fame, doesn't make it, any better. I think the worst, had to be his roster management. I don't get, why benching all-star goalie named Julie "The Cat" Gaffney (Colombe Jacobsen) for the horrible goalie, Greg Goldberg (Shaun Weiss) is a good idea!? Doesn't Goldberg hate being the goalie? Also, what are the rules of this league? How come the other teams, are all males with a single ethnic or social background, but the Mighty Ducks is the only one that has female players and players with different ethnic background? It's very weird. Also, it seem like anybody can join the team, even after the sporting events, happen. A good example of this, is how Russ Tyler (Kenan Thompson) is able to join the team, with little to no previous ice hockey experience. Wouldn't the Jr. Goodwill Games committee board, up against that? It's seem like they don't really care for any the rules, if they willing to have players take off their mask, switch uniforms and hog-tie other players without getting ejected from the game. The Ducks don't even get major penalties. Just a 2 minute minor. I really don't get, how Jr. Goodwill Games would allow this to happen. Also, why would anybody cheer Team USA when they become the Mighty Ducks in the end? For most of the fans, the name, the Ducks is totally meaningless to them. If anything, they would be Disqualification for the second half, due to the name change. Even with that, Team USA is not the underdogs in the film. In my opinion, Coach Bombay should be coaching, the Trinidad and Tobago team; a country team that doesn't have snow-like weather nor let alone, an ice rink. Add to the fact; that they are playing in a different country, during the summer months. That team seem to be more like the underdog than the other teams in the film, due to them, being a Caribbean team. Who knows, maybe if they did that, this movie would be a little more memorable, like 1993's 'Cool Runnings', which was about the Jamaican bobsled team, during the Winter Olympics. Instead, Team USA looks like jerks, by completely destroying them; not only with scores, but physically, injuring their players. Despite all that, the movie does have some good highlights. The comedy was mostly a hit than a miss to me. All of the recurring and new characters were great in their roles, even if some of them, were just one-dimensional stereotypes. The hockey scenes were intense, and fun to watch. Even the music by composer, J. A. C. Redford was inspiration. Overall: All this commercial success paved the way for the creation of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, (now the Anaheim Ducks) NHL team as well as a unrelated animated series called 'Mighty Ducks' (1996-1997). While, the sequel is the most cheesy movie of the three films. D2 is still reasonably entertaining. It's a fun nostalgia trip. Recommended to anybody who is a fan of 1990s kid sport movies.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]