IMDb > The Cowboy Way (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Cowboy Way

The Cowboy Way More at IMDbPro »

great film

Author: steed_ministry (steed_ministry@yahoo.com) from london, england
28 February 2002

A truly great pairing of actors and a pooling of their talents. This is one of the greatest movies of all time, and not only because it was actually filmed in New Mexico. Harrelson and Sutherland play true to life roles as New Mexico cowboys and their trip to the big apple to save a friend and his daughter. This is the most accurate movie I have ever seen with regards to the speech and mannerisms of the New Mexico cowboy. A completely enjoyable film to watch.

The Cowboy Way

Author: roxey56 from United States
12 February 2017

I've always loved this movie; I'd love to see it "Re-Released" in the future on DVD & Blu-ray with Digital HD, perhaps in a "Collectors Set,"or in a "Fan Gift Set." It's a wonderful & touching film; with two of Hollywood's finest actors. It's a great add to any movie buff's collection.

Most of my movie collection are classic films, but I'd really love to have "The Cowboy Way" both in my Blu-ray & my Digital HD collections.

Whoever owns the rights to "The Cowboy Way," would be foolish not to promote it to motion picture collectors. It's a 90's film, but very much a modern classic.

Rework the original cut, add interviews of both the lead actors from when it was first released, & interviews of what they're doing & promoting now.

If there is still available footage to lengthen the original for a director's cut, or an unrated version; add that too. : )

good duo but inferior material

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 September 2016

Pepper Lewis (Woody Harrelson) and Sonny Gilstrap (Kiefer Sutherland) are competitive best friends on the rodeo circuit. Their friend Nacho travels to NYC to rescue his daughter Theresa (Cara Buono) from smugglers holding her after she escaped Cuba. Ruthless criminal John Stark (Dylan McDermott) is keeping Theresa to work in his sweatshop. Sonny finds Nacho's note and goes to join him with Pepper riding along. Pepper catches the eye of socialite Margarette (Marg Helgenberger). The guys befriend police horse patrolman Sam Shaw (Ernie Hudson). Sadly, Nacho has been murdered.

This is a fish out of water action comedy. There is the charismatic duo of Harrelson and Sutherland. They are fun together. The material isn't quite as good as those guys. There is little humor other than the bits generated by Harrelson with Sutherland as the straight man. The story is straight 90's good guys and bad guys. It's not anything great but there is good enough chemistry with the boys.

Decent

Author: SanteeFats from United States
29 April 2014

The good out way the bad in this comedy-drama. Two cowboys go to the big city (New York, of course) to find a long time friend. The friend has gone looking for his daughter who has been taken out of Cuba by Dylan McDermott. He has done this for the filthy lucre the father has paid. Getting greedy Dylan has the father killed and dumped in the river. He evidently has become infatuated with the girl and has her moved from the sweatshop where he has had her working to his apartment. Now Ernie Hudson shows up as a black horse cop who has always wanted to be a cowboy. We get a little history as it is revealed that a black cowboy named Bill Pickett invented bulldogging. So chasing around New York the cowboys run down the bad guys with Hudson's help. I find the ending, while not something I can believe could actually be done, is a just finish for Dylan. He ropes by an electric cord and hooked to a passing train. Sooo he gets dragged to death.

very entertaining

Author: (tottenhamtillidie@gmail.com) from sacramento, ca
24 March 2009

sometimes the best movies are the most unpretentious, simple ones. This one follows a tried and trusted formula, its a buddy movie, woody harrelson and kiefer sutherland are chalk and cheese personalities but they unbeknown to each other complement each other and then they have the fish out of water experience as good ol boy cowboys in new york city. Woody is a scream in his role and kiefer plays the straight man and while you know exactly how its going to end, its a fun film from start to finish, probably suitable for all the family too. I liked how the guys were able to use their rodeo "skills" in the city and I laughed out loud at the final shot of the film, all-in-all a very easy way to spend an hour and three quarters.

The Cowboy Way (1994) Is A Disappointment

Author: monkey-man from Australia
18 March 2006

The Cowboy Way (1994).

This movie is about how a man in New Mexico is trying to illegally bring his daughter from Cuba to America.And the man gos to new york city to get her but when he is gone for a few days his two friends (Sutherland and Harrelson) start to worry about him.And they know a bit about what is going on and they have a phone number of the people who are bring in people to America.So the two cowboys go to New York city to try and find there friend and his daughter.And with the help of a New York Policeman named Sam Shaw (Ernie Hudson) they discover that there Friend is in the morgue.Now all that is left to do is save there friends daughter from the bad guys.

I only watched this movie because i am a huge fan of Kiefer Sutherland and i probably would of never seen it if he was not in it.I sort of had high expectations for this movie and i was really disappointed in this movie i thought it would be so much better then it turned out to be.

Over all this movie was a big disappointment but this movie still had its good points and i still enjoyed watching it.My rating for this movie is five stars out of ten.

Cowboys have no accountability in NYC

Author: emdragon from Reno, Nv
17 January 2007

Pretty much the worst possible cinematic contrivance of a movie ever made. Whatever cowboy cliché they need to just manage to get over the next obstacle in their chasing of the bad guys, Woody Harrelson and Keifer Sutherland get to pull off in this one. Why Hollywood puts these kinds of bad comedies out defies my understanding. Every scene is stagy and contrived. Just basically celluloid garbage time. 2 cowboys spend most of the picture chasing drug smuggling kidnappers through the streets of New York trying to retrieve a captured female. Along the way they make macho cowboy jokes, ride police horses, lariat bad dudes, and generally ravage the city.

Woody Harrelsons Most Fitting Role

Author: T H from United States
15 March 2006

I love this movie. The soundtrack is great and it's the perfect movie to try out your new surround sound with. This is a very funny movie; although the storyline with the girl getting held for ransom and her father getting killed does get a little drug out. The end is very funny and not predictable. I have this movie on DVD and have watched it over and over again many times. Keifer Sutherland, Woody Harrelson, Travis Tritt, are the celebrities that I was familiar with in the movie, but there may have been more. I never would have imagined Woody Harrelson playing the role of a cowboy, but he really does fit the role of "Pepper" perfectly. Of course Keifer Sutherland looks the part and does a great acting job as well, his character was not as fun or interesting as Woody's character though.

An underrated combo platter of goofy comedy and crime drama

Author: jakattak from United States
1 January 2006

I saw this movie running on cable recently, without commercials, or censorship, which is the only way to watch it. I highly recommended it for Woody Harrelson freaks and Kiefer Sutherland freaks and maybe even Luis Guzman freaks,and, certainly Dylan McDermot freaks will like seeing him as an excellent bad guy. Snappy dialogue and situations, a common plot with the story of two modern cowboys dropped into The Rotten Apple on a mission of search and rescue, this movie is best viewed on widescreen TV. It doesn't break down too much near the end, which is usual for fictions of this type. The writers did a fine job blending the clash of cultures and the director manages to keep control of the project. It will probably be the centerpiece of this director's career, since he's moved into directing "made for TV" movies.

All the incidental characters are well chosen and make the most of their roles. Check it out, really, my wife usually dislikes this kind of movie and she liked it a lot! Remember, however, this is completely fictional, any resemblance to real life style dramas should not be expected.

Not an oscar-winner; but very entertaining.

Author: laini47 from Dallas, Texas
2 June 2002

I have watched this movie many many times; it is hilariously funny. The casting of Harrelson and Southerland was supurb as two rodeo buddies who make a rescue trip to New York. Some scenes may be a little far-fetched, but the atmosphere of the movie makes them acceptable. One of the best comedies of all times.