IMDb > Cops and Robbersons (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cops and Robbersons

Cops and Robbersons More at IMDbPro »

DysFUNctional family Robberson arrests stake-out.

Author: Gretchen Schoonmaker Ellis from Houston
31 May 2002

This is a truly funny film that the whole family can watch, and enjoy. Amazing! Mom cooks enough food for a White House reception, the kids are mostly normal except the youngest, who is channeling Bela Lugosi as Dracula, and Dad can't get a bagel without cream cheese on it. The cops are standard film cops except that Jack Palance is even more overpowering than usual. His best line (you have to be there) is "Never throw a cat at me again." He never yells, although he has plentiful provocation. This is refreshing; we laughed through the whole movie.

Not Bad at All

Author: Sonja Farrell from Canada
1 May 2005

I was actually quite shocked to see the only comment say this movie was very bad. My husband and I had a pretty good laugh with this one and were quite entertained. It's not going to be everyone's taste but if you like slapstick mingled with a bit of stupidity it's right up your alley. I will agree that it is no National Lampoon (Animal House) but it does follow in the same vein as the "Vacation" movies though. Chevy and Dianne made a great couple and have a great sense of timing that is so important to a good comedy. Chevy's character similar to "Vacation" develops from an disrespected head of the house to a respected Father. Don't pass this one by.

What are you people smoking? This movie is awesome!

Author: frickabee
13 April 2005

For those of you who shop at Wal-Mart, look in the $5.50 DVD bin for this one, one of the most underrated movies of all time. Notice how in other people's comments that not a single one tells you why this film doesn't work. I can only guess that people who didn't like this just have a tight-assed sense of humor. Chevy Chase is every bit as funny in this movie as he always has been. There's even some emotional depth to the film when Jack Palance's character tries to fend off the Robberson's affection for him. To the dim lightbulbs who posted how much you loved The Truth About Cats & Dogs, and While You Were Sleeping to name a few mothballed, forgettable movies and to pass on this movie along with such classics as Liar, Liar, The Golden Child and Memoirs of an Invisible Man, I hope I never meet you at Blockbuster when I ask for a good comedy.

This is such a hilarious movie and an overlooked gem

Author: OJT from Norway
9 August 2013

I accidentally fell upon a showing of this comedy on a night show on TV, and was immediately drawn into the films parody music. I got a good feeling for what's worth to watch. But I had never heard about the movie before. And boy, was I right.

I looked this up on IMDb, after watching what I thought was a charming and hilarious movie, and was baffled about a score of 4,7. I understand this film didn't hit the right spots back in 1994, but I'll tell you: That was wrong then, and it's wrong now. If it felt was right to bash this back in 1994, this is still what should be considered as a gem now.

The film is a typical Chevy Case movie from the 80'ies and 90'ies. It's almost like the Fletch movies or the National Lampoon's best vacation movies. But then, it's also Fletch- director Michael Ritchie. What's worse; this is rated at Ritchie's worst movie. Well, it's so wrong! I laughed way more then I have in many recent movies.

Here Chase is doing a great job of a cops and robbers story, where Chase's strange family, called the Robbersons, is encountered by and awful lot of challenges, as he is when on his best. Jack Palance is great as the old "Dr. Jeckyll and Mister Hyde"-detective, and so is Robert Davi as the scaring and dangerous Osborn, which is staked out from Robbersons house, as their new neighbor. Diane Weist is lovely naive is the wife, and the kids are also great, with extra kudos to Miko Hughes as the youngest son with a Dracula-mania. He is so funny!

This film is stupidly funny. It's silly, and it gets sillier the longer into the film you get, In the good way. It's charming, with hitchcockian mystery music, it's well played, an it's funny without full of foul language, being harassing or embarrassing the wrong way, like many comedies do now.This is plain funny, with stupid persons, which is all quite lovable. In style of "Dumb and dumber" I recommend this for the whole family.

More of Action or Mystery than Comedy

Author: mike617-887-9604
16 February 2014

I love comedy movies. I went online to order some i couldn't find anywhere at the store. One of them were Cops and Robbersons. I ordered it having really high hopes for this movie. (I could not find it on Xfinity) I got it last night and watched it 1st thing in the morning. I thought it was going to be very funny. I laughed a few times and it was not as funny as I thought, but for some reason, I was hooked to the movie because it to me was a mystery. Cops and Robbersons is a MUST SEE FILM! Adventure/Mystery/Comedy Chevy Chase-Norman Robberson Jack Palance- Jake Stone Dianne Wiest-Helen Robberson Robert Davi-Osborn David Barry Gray-Tony Moore

"Entertaining Comedy!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
26 August 2013

Chevy Chase, Jack Palance, Dianne Wiest, David Barry Gray, Fay Masterson, Jason James Richter, Miko Hughes and Robert Davi star in this 1994 comedy. This focuses on businessman, Norman Robberson (Chase) who lives in the suburbs with his wife, Helen (Wiest) and 3 children, Cindy (Masterson), Kevin (Richter) and Billy (Hughes). He longs for a cop adventure like on one of his favorite TV shows and gets his wish when his home becomes a stakeout for a dangerous criminal, Osborn (Davi) living next door to him. Palance plays veteran cop, Jake Stone and Gray plays his new partner, Tony Moore who move into the Robbersons home getting into mishaps with Norman and become part of his family. I've always liked this film and Chase & the cast are great in it. I recommend this entertaining comedy.

Movie is sweet, what is wrong with you people?

Author: dkeizer05 from United States
21 January 2013

I tell you what, man. When I saw that this film was given a 4.7, I had to speak up. I had to set the record straight- this movie is great. All joking aside.

Yeah, the plot makes about as much sense as Face/Off. But over the years I have not met one person that watched this movie and wasn't repeating lines the next day.

But enough about that. This movie has chemistry between the actors. There is just enough peril to keep the movie serious. It moves a long at a good pace. The dialog is about as funny as one could hope. Each character has some issue that is developed and ultimately resolved, which is not an easy feat with an ensemble cast like this.

Also, this movie is to Jack Palance what True Grit was for John Wayne. Jack Palance's Detective Jake Stone is a caricature of his previous roles as a no-nonsense, cynical, chain-smoking bad-ass.

Then you have Chevy Chase who is as funny as ever. For that matter, I really don't see how somebody that likes the Vacation movies could dislike this film. It's pretty much the same family, only they don't go on vacation. They have some cops come live with them and comedy ensues.

Anybody who gives this movie less than a 6/10 needs to pull the stick out of their rectum.

Is this comedy about the family or the stakeout?

Author: raisleygordon from Ladson, SC
22 January 2011

"Cops and Robbersons" is a pleasant enough comedy with Chase playing a Clark Griswold-type character. I found the movie funny and charming. But the movie doesn't seem to take its story very seriously. For example, Chevy Chase goes next door to "use the bathroom". Of course, he's really there to snoop. This, of course, I expected. In a movie about a stakeout, especially in a comedy, I expected a lot more to happen. Chase goes through the guy's wallet (why exactly, I do not know), ruins his mattress (again, I do not know), then merely gets caught. But this guy (Osborn) doesn't seem particularly suspicious. Then chase tries to roll his cigarette, which apparently, is supposed to be funnier than it is. Is this the best the filmmakers could come up with? And I though Jack Palance was wasted in a thankless role as a cop who mostly smokes, and makes small talk. And it's never explained why we don't see much of his partner. As for the ending, it doesn't quite take off, probably because it takes Chase forever to come crashing in. But still, I enjoyed the movie because it is entertaining.

*** out of ****

Chevy and Palance are great in this must see film

Author: Robert Lopez (rlopez@ihug.com.au) from Australia
18 January 1999

Chevy Chase and Jack Palance are both great actors and with Diane Wiest playing as a wanna-be good mother this movie is great.

The way that Palance acts around Chase is great. This is on my must see list

Be glad he's Chevy Chase and you're not.

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
4 June 2014

30 minutes into 'Cops and Robbersons' I found myself clawing at the sides of my seat cushion. An hour into it I found myself with my head down tugging at my hair and groaning loudly. This sounds a bit childish so I will elaborate. 'Cops and Robbersons' is a terribly unfunny movie made by talented people who have made excellent films and stars actors who have made me laugh in the past so it is frustrating when I see them entrenched in a laughless screenplay. When a good actor takes a bad screenplay you can always sense their talent trying to get out.

The screenwriters have assembled a comic formula out of the nuts and bolts of other movies and tried to fasten them together to make a funny movie. This never works because 'Cops and Robbersons' is a movie pitch, not a movie itself. It's the beginning of an idea that doesn't need fine tuning so much as it needs a complete overhaul.

The movie takes The Robbersons, an ordinary Ozzie and Harriet family and puts as its head Norman Robberson (Chevy Chase) a man who is obsessed with cop shows. The dilemma is that a mobster (Robert Davi) has moved in next door and the authorities want to use the Robbersons' home to stake them out. Leading the stakeout is a rough-hewn cop (Jack Palance) who rolls his own cigarettes and always seems to have one planted in his leathery mug. Saddle that with a nagging wife, a daughter who develops an unconvincing romance with the mobster's son and a 5-year old who plays vampire and bites Palance on the neck.

These are nuts and bolts not inspiration. They are the stuff of bad sitcom writing – the kind of writing that gets a show cancelled. When I see a movie like this that is directed at a sitcom loving audience I always marvel at how much less funny it sounds without a laugh track.

Now onto the cast starting with Chevy Chase. My favorite Chase comedies are the ones that allow him to be a smart-ass mostly because he can do it without sounding like a bore. I've seen it in 'Spies Like Us' and 'Funny Farm' and the 'Fletch' pictures and a little in the first 'Vacation' movie. But here he's an annoying dope who is always in the way and just bumbles around reminding me that his Gerald Ford routine was funnier when he did it in a five minute sketch on 'Saturday Night Live'.

Jack Palance surprised me in 'City Slickers' by taking his usual tough ol' buzzard persona and injecting it with humanity, warmth and truth. Here he's the same crusty old guy but the warmth and truth are gone because the movie doesn't have time between painful slapstick.

Diane Weist has done her best work for Woody Allen. So, I try to measure Diane Weist's characters thusly: Would the character she's playing be convincing if she were playing it in a Woody Allen movie, in most cases yes. So, she's playing a good (albiet underwritten) character here in the wrong movie. There is one rather serious moment when she talks to Palance about his smoking that I thought was the movie's only ray of sunshine.

I don't know what dragged director Michael Ritchie into this film after directing Chase in 'Fletch' and directing the marvelous (and somewhat similar) 'The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader Murdering Mom'.

By the way, you will note that I have avoided describing any of the specific scenes. That's because I just feel that this talented cast has had enough.