IMDb > Chasers (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Chasers More at IMDbPro »

Good romp around the Carolinas

Author: Exit_of_99c_Special from United States
31 August 2005

Is this your typical women in chains navy transport love story? Maybe, hell, you know how the formula works by now, pretty woman is introduced in to a picture, someone has to fall in love with her.

I think this film does follow some typical story lines, but that doesn't say anything about the content. There are great scenes with Crispen Glover, Dennis Hopper, and Gary Busey, although short. Some things didn't make sense, such as the need to get in to random fights, but it is entertaining to watch, the fights were actually well done.

This is definitely a comedy foremost, but it does have a lot of good feel to it. The humor is well balanced, you won't hurt your stomach on this, but you will keep a smile.

There is a little bit of steamy action, so not one for the kids.

You have to "get" Hopper's sense of humor

Author: Spokes from United States
27 May 2007

If you want a fun romp with loads of subtle humor, then you will enjoy this flick.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't enjoy this one. Take it for what it is: a vehicle for Dennis Hopper to mess with your head and make you laugh. It ain't Shakespeare, but it is well done. Ericka Eleniak is absolutely beautiful and holds her own in this one - Better than any episode of Baywatch - and shows a knack for subtle humor. Too bad she hasn't had many opportunities to expand on that.

Tom Berenger fits his role of "real Navy" perfectly and William McNamara does a solid job as a hustler.

Throw in a walk-on by Hopper in the middle of the chase for "the Cherry on this Sundae" and you've got a movie that kept my attention and kept me laughing. I bought this one as soon as it was available.

Brain-candy.

Erika!

Author: Dano-45 from Texas
1 October 1999

That's it for this movie. Basically the whole thing is awful.Erika's love scene is pretty hot, I must say, even with the lame wanna-be Tom Cruise actor. She's all his since she's handcuffed to the bed and the "You're making me hot" and "I'm ready" lines. Nice body. Bad picture. View only if your bored and it's uncut.

Pure Entertainment

Author: G-Man-25 from Iowa City, IA
17 April 2003

Lowbrow humor to spare in this low-budget knock-off of "The Last Detail." Undemanding fun...Hopper's direction is loose and raunchy (he also scores in a brief role as a horny traveling lingerie salesman) and Tom Berenger is great as a gruff, crusty military man stuck performing a transport detail with a scheming, wet-behind-the-ears private in tow. Don't expect a classic and you might be pleasantly surprised. Hardly a classic for the ages, but still quite enjoyable if you enter with lowered expectations. Plenty of clichés, but a few memorably funny sequences and some funny lines make it worth watching. Eleniak's considerable physical charms on full display don't hurt either.

EXCELLENT !

Author: Bob McKelvy (bobmckelvy@usa.net) from Saipan Northern Marianna Islands
31 March 1999

My wife and I have watched this movie twice. Both of us used to be in the Military. Besides being funny as hell, it offers a very realistic view of life in the Navy from the perspective of A Navy enlisted man, and tells it "like it really is". We're adding this movie to our permanent collection !

perfect rainy day entertainment

Author: (tottenhamtillidie@gmail.com) from sacramento, ca
14 September 2009

no movie with dennis hopper, gary busey, erika eleniak, tom berenger, dean stockwell, marilu henner deserves a rating under 5 on here. This is a poor mans version of movies like 16 blocks or the timeless Midnight run except the prisoner being transported here is the very easy on the eye Ms.Eleniak. Tom Berenger plays another gruff, maverick military type well and William Mcnamara plays his rookie-about to be discharged foil well. The plot on the face of it is absurd because I lost count of the times Eleniak should have and could have escaped but this is an entertaining feel-good movie and there are good cameos from all of the above actors that keep the movie rolling. This isn't really a family movie as there is some swearing and a rare nude scene with eleniak but this is a lot better than some of the other guff that came out around this time.

OK -- I've seen worse.

Author: lacrescenta from California
9 December 2002

This was a so-so movie. Not really great, but entertaining enough. Don't expect much -- just expect to be mildly entertained. It's basically an "on the road" film, where the two male leads are transporting a female prisoner (Eleniak) in a run-down van, and she takes every opportunity to escape. Much hilarity ensues. OK, it's not *that* hilarious, but mildly amusing hilarity ensues, once in a while.

Eleniak is lovely, her acting is OK. Her character is sympathetic up to a point, even though she does pull some very vexing antics! However, her stunning figure and much-discussed breasts (in the nude scene) are not enough to elevate this film beyond so-so.

McNamara is baby-faced and his character is somewhat irritating as a two-bit scam artist and love interest for Ms. Eleniak. I didn't particularly care for his character. His romance with Eleniak wasn't developed well and he was only a somewhat sympathetic character.

Berenger does well in his role as a grumpy, gravel-voiced superior officer. While I am inclined to be a fan of Berenger, I don't always like everything he does. And, alas, sometimes his looks get a little on the seedy side -- but not in this film. He looks pretty good, and his character is kind of fun (in a crabby kind of way).

Some nudity and profanity earn this film a R rating. It's a fairly enjoyable film, just don't expect much. If you are a fan of any of the main stars, you might enjoy this film especially.

Memorable soundtrack .... forgettable film ...............

Author: merklekranz from United States
30 November 2009

"Chasers" vacillates wildly between military drama, and frat slobs on vacation silliness. There is a steady slide downhill in believability. The acting is only average, and the script well below that. Nevertheless, the movie is watchable, mainly because of the interesting supporting cast. The best scenes are with Gary Busey, Crispin Glover, and Dennis Hopper. The real problem is that the film doesn't have a flow, with sex scenes giving way to cartoon-like silliness, kung fu fighting, and ridiculous romance. I suppose if you can throw logic out the window, there might be enough here to interest some, but that's a long shot at best. - MERK

Not that bad

Author: Bjorn (ODDBear) from Iceland
27 January 2006

Navy officials Berenger and McNamara are assigned to escort prisoner Eliniak to start serving time but their trip doesn't go all that smoothly.

Despite the presence of the terribly annoying William McNamara, Chasers is really an O.K. way to spend less than two hours. Obviously it's not as good as 1973's The Last Detail but it has it's moments. Tom Berenger and Erika Eliniak compensate for McNamara and deliver good performances but the array of good cameos are sorely misused. Gary Busey and Crispin Glover provide a few chuckles but Dennis Hopper, Dean Stockwell and Marilu Henner have nothing to do here.

Still, if you're in a forgiving frame of mind and keep your expectations low this film quite alright.

Cheap and dim - but not offensive.

Author: Peter Hayes from United Kingdom
3 October 2002

Two naval officers (Tom Berenger and William McNamara) are given the task of driving a sexy waitress (Erika Eleniak) to prison. For some reason she doesn't want to go and sets out to waylay them.

I have seen some thin movies in my time, but this takes the biscuit. The entire props budget seems to have been blown on two navy outfits, a rusty white van and one of those waitress dresses that girls with good legs rent for fancy-dress purposes.

Director Dennis Hopper comes on for a moment to do his I'm-a-bit-mad act and Marilu Henner is desperate enough to play a bit part, but they are both done-with in minutes: leaving us stuck with the tedious threesome in a van somewhere in Middle America.

Curiously the thing seems to be influenced by the Jack Nicholson film The Last Detail (navy prisoner being led back to the stock), although that is a film that is actually worth going out of you way to see.

Yes Erica is appealing in a plastic, peroxide and staples-through-the-belly way, but the other two leads have nothing to offer other than briskness and/or dim-witted nativity.

For those interested in these things, the Baywatch blonde does get her clothes off a couple of times, but most viewers will have fallen asleep by the time her stand-up-all-by-themselves breasts come out.

Insomniacs watching on late night cable might be able might be able to make it through to the end, but anyone actually shelling out money for this ultra-cheap product will feel a fool afterwards. Trust me.