Camp Nowhere (1994) Poster

(1994)

Something you wish you would have done as a teen!
Tim19 August 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed Camp Nowhere! It's a great movie to just sit back and relax to, while vicariously living out on screen the things you wish you could have done as a teen. This movie is better than Meatballs, or other "summer camp" movies, as it doesn't feel the need to resort to sexual content to be funny.
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic Kids Movie
TimCalhoun21 June 2003
This movie was great when I first saw it as a child years ago, it was great when I saw it a few days ago, and it will always be great. as a child the movie embodied my hopes and dreams of a camp away from parents where I was in control. The acting from young stars was surprisingly good. The movie is simply most kids' dream which makes it a childhood classic.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
its a cool family movie
tarzapam27 March 2002
i grew up in my pre-pubescnet years watching this movie and loving andrew keegan, its one of the best kids escapism movies around and i'd recommend it for other kids too. I mean who didn't want to be one of those kids at a camp with no adults and a stash of money.Good fun
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Masterpiece in Family Cinema
superboy47825 February 2002
This movie is great! I saw it when it came out in 1994 and I still rent it on video.

The movie is about a group of young kids who are fed up with the camps their parents are making them go to. Trish is being sent off to theater camp, Gaby is being sent to a camp for fat people, Zach is being sent to military school, and Mudd is being sent to computer camp. When walking home from school one day, Mud and the others come up with a plan to create a camp of their own. But the only problem is that they have no adult to supervise them. So they turn to Dennis Van Welker played by Christopher Lloyd. He agrees to stay with them for the summer as long as they pay him. Everything is all set except for when the word gets around school about their plan. So now, they have to take anyone who wants to come. While at the camp, they have a ton of fun, but the town sheriff is on their case and begins to get suspicious about them. The big surprise comes at the end when they discover their parents are expecting parents day. So now they are all together in putting together a precise parents day without screwing up.

I think that this movie is a masterpiece in family cinema. It has a good script, good actors, and good fun!! It's suitable for ages 8 and up. Rent the movie on VHS. Hopefully there will be a DVD available for it soon. 4 stars for Camp Nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good movie for kids
El Cubico19 June 2003
Involuntarily I have watched this one on TV. It was good, had an okay storyline (even though pretty unrealistic... but that applies to all movies of this kind), and most importantly it didn't have exaggerated cheap and lame humour a lá Police Academy or similar. This one might even entertain grown ups. I'd say this movie was one of the better kid's flicks (not saying that Police Academy is one, but honestly, it's a big piece of crap). However I can't judge the original version since I've seen the German dubbed version which was pretty ok. I think it's underrated here at IMdB. I give it a kids/comedy rating of 7/10 (please note that this is not a generic movie rating. imo you cannot judge all kinds of movies the same).
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun Summer Flick
HappilySaturnine9 May 2005
This movie is no masterpiece, but I consider it fun and light entertainment. It's one of my favorites from childhood which gives it a special sense of sentimental value for me, but I think it can be enjoyed by a newcomer just as well. The cast is lively and fun with many familiar faces. It's a great movie to watch during the summer because it so perfectly portrays the carefree and light-hearted feeling of the season. Obviously it's far from winning an Academy Award but not every movie is made to display some deep, brilliant idea. Many people have commented that it is the worst movie they've seen; I suggest they watch Grease 2. All in all, Camp Nowhere is a fun flick.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another wouldn't it be neat movie.
Havan_IronOak24 May 2003
This is another of those films made about and starring kids where adults are really rewriting history in a fantasy way.

Wouldn't it be neat if we had taken the money that mom and dad spent on camp and conned them into sending us to an unsupervised camp run by kids?

Well, the story is enjoyable enough, the parents are simple (stupid) enough and the kids all get something they really wanted (without recognizing it beforehand)

Not a great movie but an ok time. I'd be surprised if the critical reviews of this film don't mostly come from kids (or soon to be ex kids) who think its dumb. But that silliness is part of what makes this light comedy enjoyable.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie with good values
qutj21 June 2005
A wonderful funny movie. It is a good movie with good values. I have loved it since I saw it when it first came out. I have the DVD now and it still continues to make me smile and laugh as I watch it. I wanted to be at the camp with the kids. I watch it now and wish I could just get away and have a camp like that. The kids made there own camp and had, Christopher Lloyd, be there camp representative for multiple camps. Andrew Keagan is in it and when I was younger I thought he was the hottest guy alive so I loved to watch and re-watch the movie. The kids all get in trouble in the end for deceiving their parents and Lloyd gets his debt which has the cops looking for him paid off in a sweet way.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'The Sting' for Summer Camp.
roisin1731 October 2004
In true Paul Newman/Robert Redford fashion, this film screams fun. With a unique cast, led by the ever eccentric Christopher Lloyd, a former drama teacher leads a team of kids to a summer camp free of work, parents or any authoritative counselors. He is encouraged by four bright but disgruntled youngsters who dread the thought of spending summers being trained to live up up to their parents expectations: fat camp, acting camp, military school and computer camp. But the shenanigans do not come into classic play until the kids' parents insist on visiting them at their "educational" camp. This joins ' The Goonies' and 'Willow' and one of the many films that my own kids will grow up watching...but I think if you are watching this film...like me, you are far too much of a child yourself to be thinking about actually having children!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
this movie is so awesome!
FameLive4ever9 April 2000
I saw this movie the day it came out on video 5 years ago, i was 10 or 11. Of course, being a kid, I loved it. Any kid could love this movie. I then rented again 5 years later, 15 year old. I love it still!! How can you NOT love this movie?? It's full of light-hearted comedy and a fantasy every kid has but never enough nerve to fufill. "Camp Nowhere" is about 4 kids being forced to go to camp, Zach, the troublemaker, has gone to military camp since birth probably. Trish is forced to go to acting camp, Gabby is forced to go to fat camp(even though she is not fat at all), and finally Mud has to go to computer camp. They seek help from the eccentric former drama teacher Dennis(Christopher Lloyd) and they pull off an alternative camp where they can be free all summer. The word gets out and they have no choice but to bring along 30 other kids. But after weeks of a funfilled summer, it backfires and the parents are persistent about visiting. So they have 2 days to pull of the greatest scam of all time. Fun for the whole family. Starring: Christopher Lloyd of the Back to the Future movies, Jonathan Jackson of "General Hospital", Andrew Keegan of "10 Things I hate About you" and Wendy Makkena of "sister act". I give Camp Nowhere 10 stars!!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
CAMP NOWHERE a winning comedy!!!!!
rodrigodee11 November 2000
Me and my friends love this movie. It's hilarious. Made me feel like a kid again what with all the summer camp motifs. My friend Tommy says it reminds him of his camp he went to for about five years when he was a younger kid. We put this on at the liquor store on the vcr here and watched it from beginning to end. Even the customers liked it. It kind of calms them down when they are buying alcohol. Christopher Lloyd is so funny. The soundtrack rocks too. They don't make them like that anymore, it's all that Korn sounding stuff. My name is Todd M. and I give this 4 stars!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The greatest movie ever!!
BradzGirlMallory20 January 2003
I've seen this movie so many times, I always get it everytime I go to the video shop. I wish they would bring it out on DVD so I could buy it. But no matter how old you are Camp Nowhere is a great, funny and entertaining movie. Jonathan Jackson and Christopher Lloyd play the parts fantastly.

No matter how old I get, this movie will always be a favourite of mine. A must see for all!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Way better than it seems
mshui12 August 1998
Camp Nowhere is, if nothing else, a wonderful guide for actors on how to play many parts in one movie. Christopher Lloyd does a wonderful job playing at least 8 different characters. Each is unique and believable as well as wonderfully comic. Jonathan Jackson, best known for his role on General Hospital, plays at least two other characters besides Mud Himmel. Both do a wonderful job.

The movie itself is always teetering on the edge of formula fare, but somehow manages to avoid falling in. Each time I expect a formula solution, the movie surprises me with a new and funny twist. Comic timing is wonderful and young Nathan Cavaleri, who plays Steve, is the one on the guitar in "Summertime Blues" and "Working on It."

Watch this movie!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very nice teen-movie
lieke7 March 2000
I saw Camp Nowhere on TV. I watched the movie on a Saturday, when the TV is practically mine. I just wanted to watch a stupid film, but later on I found out that it wasn't that bad. So I actually watched it with a big smile on my face, but it doesn't say nothing. I really love stories with a happy ending. Like when they get each other and so on.... I hope you have much fun watching this movie!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A bunch of kids, fed up, decide to run away for the sumemr
Verona8 June 1999
Boy, if this could ever happen in real life. A basic paradise, unsupervised (unless you count a cooky Christopher Lloyd), a bunch of kids, fed up with their forced lived, rebel and decide to make their own camp. Total fun, I definitely dug it.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
i loved it
allison3868 July 2004
i absolutely love this movie. i own it on DVD and when i asked for it i had only seen 5 minutes of it on like STARZ or something. christopher lloyd is great. and so is jonathon jackson. jonathon jackson and melody kay were soo good in the scenes when they had to like each other. i actually started crying it was so sweet. jason keegan and marnie patterson were awesome too. i almost believed the whole movie. its so great to see where some stars got their starts like jessica alba and..well almost all of the kids in the movie have gone on to do other work too. i think everyone everywhere would love this movie. adults, because it reminds them of their youth and children, because it is just a time to get away and pretend that you are actually at camp nowhere. on a scale of 1 to 10 i definitely give this movie a 10.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Camp Movie of All Time
Cubbysden993 July 2004
Camp Nowhere was a really fun movie to watch. It wasn't the funniest movie, but it was enjoyable. It brings back good memories from camp, and it makes you miss being a kid. Sure a lot this stuff, kids can't do but who cares, it was awesome. This movie isn't the type of movie where it can win awards, because it was more of a kids movie, and kids movies don't win awards. The only award I would give this movie is the most relaxing movie of all time. The only part I didn't like about this film, it that it was predictable, but all kids movies are like that. Great summer movie, and a good movie to watch more then once. I would give Camp Nowhere a 7.5 on 10. That is all I got to say about Camp Nowhere.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
. . .Erm . . . . four kids can't find a good summer camp, so they make their own, with just a little bit of help from a certain someone.
bugaloo_0920 June 2006
Well now, I haven't actually seen this movie in a while, so I'll spare the details. Well done? Yes. Humorous? Of course! Plot line? Pretty stinkin' good! Anyhoo, now that I've wasted about four lines on almost nothing, I can't think of too much else to say. I really enjoyed the whole idea, something realistic, and yet fictional enough for a movie. I also liked how it added in it's own little 'problems'. Overall, I think it came out rather well. My only problem? Ever notice how you watch a movie? And the kids on it, /around/ your age, seem pretty 'good looking'? But then, twelve or so years later, you come back and see what happened to this thing you used to worship? This my friends, or whoever, is why I've dropped the topic of 'young people' and moved onto my obsession with funny older men. Scary, eh? But that was off topic. Good job, all you producers out there! . . . . And I'm not too sure about the spoiler thing. Better put it on, just in case . . . .
Great movie, Jessica Alba's first role
Smug_Grinch9 July 2002
This is a fantastic movie. I first saw it at 20 years old and remembered all the fun things I did as a teenager. This movie makes you want to reclaim your lost youth. Why couldn't they have cool stuff like that when I was their age?

After Dark Angel was canceled by Fox, I checked this web site to see what else Jessica Alba had starred in. I was surprised to find out that this was Jessica's first movie. Way cool! She has only one or two lines, but she does pop up plenty of times and adds plenty of atmosphere to the film.

A good one to watch with the family, but make sure that your kids don't get any ideas. ;)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than Citizen Kane?
RockviewLTJ17 June 2002
Well, even though it might not measure up to the level of brilliance as Citizen Kane, but it's up there in the top 10 of all time. This film, not only exhibits pure hilarity, but also showcases some of the best young talent around. Fifty years from now, film professors will be lecturing on how the performances of Jonathon Jackson and Andrew Keegan has forever changed drama. Camp Nowhere not only provides excellent acting and side splitting laughter, it also showcases social commentary. The director wanted to make sure who's in charge, and that's kids, of course. The hidden theme of "Kids will always triumph over adults" will always stand the test of time. Without a doubt, one of the greatest films ever to grace theaters across the nation. My Score: 10 out of 10!
Camp Nowhere ROCKS!!!
Jen-548 January 1999
I would like to say that Camp Nowhere is the best movie that anyone has ever made. It has a lot of babes in it including: Andrew Keegan, Kellen McLaughlin, Jonathan Jackson, Mooky Arizona, Devin Oatway, Ian Christopher Scott.

Kellen McLaughlin and Andrew Keegan are the biggest babes and I am their biggest fan so all you girlies out there that think that you are their biggest fans think again!!
A great feelgood movie
Ramagamma4 April 2002
"Camp Nowhere" is just one of those movies that you KNOW will be a feel good movie from the very start. I saw it during an Easter holiday just 2 hours ago. Although its a 8 year old film its insanely great. It follows the tale of 4 kids out to trick their parents and have the best summer at their own camp. It has everything a great movie needs. Just watch it because it will make you feel tingly inside.
Simple summer entertainment.
bsweetman-129 May 2001
When I go to see movies, I generally go with specific expectations. 'Space Cowboy's basic premise, for instance, was not plausible but it provided an enjoyable evening of watching for my wife and I, seeing stars we enjoy having fun doing this movie. If it had been filmed with the seriousness of 'Schindler's List' it would have failed miserably.

'Camp Nowhere' was never meant to be anything except a pleasurable distraction. It provides a couple of hours of escape from our everyday lives, giving us a chance to laugh and relax. The film is not high art, or a work of social conscience. It is entertainment - pure and simple. The film has a simple set-up, and lets it imagination run with it. And that is why I enjoyed it.