IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Away from home alone...

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
15 March 2008

This is not at all the kind of movie that I would normally watch. There are children's movies and then there are family movies, and the good family movies are the ones that can really be enjoyed by people of all ages. This movie does not at all strike me as a movie that could be enjoyed by people of all ages, mostly because of that picture on the movie box. Ever since King Kong Lives I have developed an almost frightening aversion to any movie that features grinning gorillas. Nevertheless I gave this one a chance and I'm glad I did.

Amazingly enough, almost immediately I discovered that this movie is funnier than most "adult" comedies that I've seen lately, even the good ones. There are so many laugh-out- loud moments just in the first 30 minutes that I didn't know how they could keep that up. Sadly, they don't, but even the less impressive second half is a fun romp through the city at the expense of some witless crooks. The kids are gonna love this.

The similarities to Home Alone are obvious and expected, being written by John Hughes, who has an astonishing list of writing, producing and directing credits stretching over the last 35 years, including genuine classics like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, The Great Outdoors and Home Alone. And yes, Home Alone is a classic, I don't care what anyone says!

There is one scene of ridiculous bad taste, when Eddie (Joe Mantegna) is hiding the baby under his coat so the police don't find it, only to suddenly discover that he has to maintain his cool before the men in blue as the baby lights a Zippo lighter and lights his crotch on fire. For a movie that is so obviously meant for a very young audience, this one has a surprising amount of sex jokes.

That is, however, the only major problem with the movie (except at the end when they discover that "Baby" is only acting out his favorite storybook. RIGHT). Yes, the baby manages to walk around crowded city streets without anyone ever noticing except the bad guys, but he also manages to climb onto a steel beam being lifted hundreds of feet off of the ground AND cuddle with a monstrous gorilla, both without showing the least bit of fear. Man, that gorilla was scary, too. Obviously not real, but my question is how they got that kid to sit next to that thing without screaming and crying in fear.

Nevertheless, there are so many funny moments and so many truly hilarious jokes ("I seen him. He's in the big broad's purse….") that it's easy to overlook these things. Like so many other movies, if you apply real world logic to it, of course it falls apart immediately, but for an evening of good clean fun you could certainly do a lot worse!

John Hughes Recycles His Old Comic Formula Again

Author: soranno from Las Vegas, Nevada
26 October 2002

Before I review this film, let me say that 1980's film fans may recall director/screenwriter John Hughes as the man who gave them such "new classics" as "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Planes, Trains And Automobiles", and "Uncle Buck." These films with their varied and different plots were original. In 1990, when Hughes went out of his element with "Home Alone", he scored his biggest box office success ever. The same fate went for that film's 1992 sequel. For some unknown reason, everything that Hughes has done since then has tried to repeat the success of "Home Alone" and "Baby's Day Out" is no exception. For this film, think what if Kevin McAlister (Macaulay Culkin's character in the first two "Home Alone" films) fought burglars and criminals as a baby. The similarities never stop coming. There are some minor laughs here but they could've most likely come out of the "Home Alone" series script wastebasket. Rent the first two "Home Alone" films for originality reasons and rent this one only if you feel like making comparisons.

Baby's Day Out is not a good movie.

Author: blazesnakes9 from United States
2 June 2011

Baby's Day Out is a comedy directed by Patrick Jean Johnson and written by John Hughes, who directed 80's flicks like The Breakfast Club and Planes, Trains and Automoblies. There is a lot wrong with Baby's Day Out. First off, let me start off by saying that this movie is about a character, the title character, who is a baby, named Baby Bink. The little toddler is then kidnapped by three kidnappers. then, the little rascal escaped and starts off his day. That's not all. While this baby is crawling all around the city being chased by the three burglars, he sort of get into these very almost dangerous hazards of injuring himself. For example, in one scene, he cross into oncoming traffic while cars are driving really fast on the road. That is something I really wanted to see in a movie like this one. Second of all, the three criminals look like they were rip right off of Home Alone. Even the slapstick humor is the same. Inanimate objects are flying all over the place, whacking the bad guys in the faces and everywhere else in their body. That is something you have to see to be believe. Baby's Day Out is a harrowing effort to be like a kid's movie, but fails, dangerously. ★★ 2 stars.

The things they make babies do...

Author: Trip Keanu (sun@hawaii.com) from United States
17 January 2011

I would have given "Baby's Day Out" a zero rating if possible, cause the humor is worse than awful and the movie will surely put your child in an uncomfortable situation. Violence is a big part of this movie and a lot of it takes place below the belt. The baby not only burns the bad guy's groin, but the baby also put his hands on the bad guy's crotch and twists it... yikes! In another scene the baby kicks one of the bad guys in the groin... What's up with that?! No baby should ever have this much contact with a man's groin in a movie, much less in real life. How many would find any of this funny if the bad guy was a woman and a baby inflicted this much pain on the female genitals or breast?? Sorry to say, but pedophiles are everywhere, even in movie-making, and their main objective is to gradually introduce your children to acts of perversion. So ask yourself this - Would you let a pedophile into your home?

Another Childhood Favorite!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
16 August 2009

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved this movie. Now that I'm older, I still do. I recently watched it because I haven't watched it in a long time. A rich family wants their baby named Bink in the paper. Some thieves steal Bink and hold him for ransom. At their hideout, Bink escapes and throughout the movie, the bad guys chase him all over town trying to find him. The family receive help from the F.B.I. and try to find Bink. Baby's Day Out is actually a book that Bink reads, and he visits all the places that is in the book. Bink is extremely smart and cute. It's awesome that a baby can cause so much trouble for three bad guys. If you love comedy and babies, you'll love BABY'S DAY OUT!!!

Reminds my childhood days...

Author: kal07
28 July 2009

I gotta say 4.9 rating shocked me. This is one of the first English movies I ever saw. And I thoroughly enjoyed it, I don't exactly remember how old I was when I first saw this but I must've been around 8 or 9 yrs old that time. After that first viewing I couldn't help myself and must have seen this 3-4 times within the next year. Why did I see it again? This movie made me laugh more than any other movie ever did. I must say I was very young then but still the title itself reminds me of my childhood. I have a special bond with the film and thats why i rate it so highly even now{If you are wondering how old I'm now...I'm 21}. Looking back at the time I first saw it, I laughed every second of it. It was simply hilarious for that time. I've seen thousands of films since then BUT none of the comedies over the years have managed to achieve what "Baby's Day Out" did then. I am mature now and I know this film won't have the same impact it did but still remains one of my favourites... All I can say is that it struck a special chord with me long time back.

If this film can't make young children laugh, I don't know what can.

9.5/10

This baby will take you down

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
27 July 2009

Baby Bink parents, he lives in a huge mansion, and he's just about to appear in the social pages of the paper, Then three kidnapper's who pretend to be photographers from the newspaper. kidnapping the Baby.

They wish they never did, as the baby make there life so much harder, when he get way and they run around the city to find the baby and the baby puts kidnappers bad situation(funny ways)

I love this movie, from start to end, made me laugh, I loved it when Joe Mantegna is trying to protect his private areas from the baby's lighter ,is one of most funniest scenes ever made.

The acting is movie is great, If you liked Home Alone, you should give this try.

it's a great family movie

This movie is the bomb dot com

Author: kassidy_wilson from United States
22 July 2008

Great film in my opinion. The gorilla is unbelievably cute. With his dimples, playfulness, and giggle, it is hard to believe why it bombed. I think it deserves major props for being kid-friendly, instead of the hard-core things people are used to seeing. It is great for all- ages, a 10 out of 10, spectacular! I love that gorilla. The gorilla makes me smile and I like to smile because I am sad a lot but this movie seems to change that for me because of the gorilla and his ability to make everyone smile and rainbows and unicorns and I like gorillas and monkeys and gorillas and zoos. I still have to write ten lines so here we go. One more line after this Kassidy.

I liked it 7 years ago

Author: jason_13 from Bulgaria
18 February 2006

Baby's Day Out is one of those movies that kids like, but grown up don't regret if they watch them. I remember I was 8 or 9 years old when I watched it for first time and by that time people loved it. It was entertaining for them. And I mean people like some teens and some grown up which surprised me a bit. I liked it as well. It's a a funny movie with funny jokes, but since I am a really huge movie fan and even something more than just a fan, this movie is nothing for me these days. It won't be funny and it won't be entertaining. Oh, and I wonder how Joe Mantegna and Joe Pantoliano star in this movie. I thought that after all they are good actors who star in serious movies and actions.

Concluding, I just wanna say that this movie is something I would give to my kids if I ever have some.

A Kidnapping Planned by Three Wiley Coyotes

Author: theowinthrop from United States
7 July 2006

This film never fails to be funny. The plot is simple - a variant on the two McCauley Culkin HOME ALONE films or O'Henry's THE RANSOM OF RED CHIEF, except the protagonist is an adorable baby. Three criminals led by Joe Mantegna have been committing fairly successful robberies at convenience stores and even banks. They find that a wealthy family's baby is going to be photographed on a particular day for a magazine, and they arrive at the mansion as the photographers and kidnap the baby. They intend to collect a large ransom. What they don't count on is that the baby, by instinct and sheer chance, is smarter than all three men together. The baby's favorite book has a kind of daily itinerary, and the baby (after accidentally escaping the three idiots) follows it. He is usually only one step ahead of the idiots, so they constantly find him - only to fall on their faces (or worse) while he continues with hardly a scratch. All ends well for the baby at the end.

The supporting cast is quite good, in particular Fred Dalton Thomas as the FBI man, John Neville as the household's major domo, Lara Flynn Boyle as the heart-sick mother (the only really unfunny, realistic aspect to the film), and Cynthia Nixon as the nanny. But the chief kudos go to Adam and Jacob Worton as Baby Bink, and Mantegna and his two cohorts Brian Haley and Joe Pantoliano. Of the three men Mantegna is clearly the sharpest, but that does not say much.

The clearest comparison of this film is with the Road Runner cartoons of Chuck Jones, with Mantegna, Haley, and Pantoliano trying to use their superior grown-up cleverness to simply recapture Baby Bink. The problem is that their methods are so complicated for themselves that they cannot but fail. They follow the baby into the zoo, and rather than simply scooping the kid up by racing to him, they let him head into the monkey house, and are soon being thrown around by a wise and protective gorilla. The chase the baby into the park, and (incredibly) they do get their hands on him, but two policemen come to them with some questions and Mantegna has to hide the baby under his coat. The baby uses his lighter to set fire to his testicles (and Mantegna has to restrain screaming until the police leave the scene, which is a priceless moment). The script manages to top it - to put out the fire Mantegna's two assistant crooks put it out the way you put out a campfire (they stamp it out!).

To me the highpoint is when Baby Bink goes into a construction site. None of the construction workers notice the baby at all, but our three anti-heroes do. They proceed to keep missing the baby and end up falling into cement troughs or into refuse dumps. Mantegna adds the one truest moment out of Wile E. Coyote's fights with Roadrunner. He jumps onto a huge crane's arm, holding onto a battering ball. His intention (as the crane was headed downward) is to have an "elevator" descent by the crane to the ground. Just as he lands on the ball, the face on all the clocks in the construction site hit five o'clock, a whistle blows, and the machines (including the crane) are all turned off at once, and the crews all leave the site. The sequence ends with the sun setting in back of the clinging Mantegna waiting to figure out how to get down.

For pure malicious, destructive delight, BABY'S DAY OUT can barely be touched.

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]