IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baby's Day Out

Baby's Day Out More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

The title pretty much says it all!

Author: Bob Peterson from Kettering, Ohio, U.S.A.
18 February 2005

This is an older movie. I really liked the plot lines. It had Lara Flynn Boyle who is one of my favorite actresses but you don't really see her character that much. This movie is about a baby that gets kidnapped by 3 bumbling kidnappers that have no clue whatsoever! I showed this to my two boys that are 6 and 9. They seemed to like it. Especially my younger son. He was laughing hysterically throughout the movie! The kidnappers of course want a huge sum of money which they don't end up getting because the baby ends up escaping from them! I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone! I also liked Cynthia Nixon's character in this movie. She did a wonderful job!

Ordinary and absolutely not funny

Author: verminoz from Greece
24 September 2006

I just caught that film on TV and I took the time to watch it. To be true I never expected something really good but I was surprised by how ridiculous and awful it was. What we have here is a bad Home Alone copy with a lost baby outside of his home instead of a young boy inside his home.

So we're starting already with a suffocatingly trivial storyline. Then there comes a series of jokes which again are very ordinary. A lucky and smart baby makes fool of the, almost-stereotype, silly bad guys. A smart boss with two goofy partners find themselves in trouble trying to catch the baby! All these scenes not only are very unreal but they are not funny at all. Some reminded me of the death plans in Final Destination 3. For example there's a scene in a construction site where the three bad guys fall in traps a science fiction novelist would not imagine. And then the boss slips and falls down, gets smacked in the face by a flying hammer (what is so funny about that?) and then an extraterrestrial slime (which is very commonly found in construction sites) falls on him. Hmmm, I think I've seen that before in like 100 films.

So we come to the ending where the "wisdom wind" strikes the baby's nanny and she finds out that the baby has followed the exact story as in a fairy tale she used to read to him. How touching!!! The happy ending comes and reassures the audience that there's absolutely nothing new and nothing funny at all. In my opinion this film is a loss of time.

I think it's safe to say....

Author: sirloinsovereign from The Moon
13 February 2006

All movies in which a baby is the main character tea bag. Lets look at some examples: A) Baby's Day Out B) Son of the Mask C) Super Babies Look Who's Talking wasn't too painful. . . . .

I remember seeing this movie during a day camp field trip when I was 8 or 9 years old. Although I hadn't yet developed my current taste in movies, I could tell even at that young age that this was a steaming pile of sh*t.

URC: I hate that blond woman from the West Wing because she was in this movie.

Blah blah blah Ten. There now shut up!

Worst Movie Ever Made

Author: bttflf from Canada
31 July 2006

This pathetic excuse for a movie is an embarrassment to John Hughes' other masterpieces such as Home Alone. Even Home Alone 3 is better than Baby's Day Out.

During the movie I actually got up, left, and smashed my head against the bathroom wall. This was far less painful than watching this pile of garbage.

It was infuriating to watch this terrible movie knowing I had wasted so much money going to the drive-in. The only redemption I got was when the movie ended, and thousands of other drive-in goers booed it. At least the rest of money was reasonably spent when the 2nd movie of the night showed: True Lies.

Every actor in Baby's Day Out should be smacked in the face with a hammer.

Three Stooges... and a baby.

Author: vip_ebriega from Philippines
27 August 2008

My Take: The HOME ALONE formula is too tired for it to still be funny.

It seemed to hard for John Hughes to let his baby go, I mean his HOME ALONE formula. When will he ever just let the premise, about a little kid (this in case a tot) outsmart a couple of adult criminals, is something that doesn't last a mere two or three films or so. In this case, HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK is enough, very enough. While I liked HOME ALONE, and I enjoy sitting through it every Christmas season (or not), seeing a couple more times as "different" films is more than too much to ask for.

BABY'S DAY OUT is producer Hughes' next film with HOME ALONE as its blood-donor, and while it has its share of Hughes-esquire comedy, it never rises as anything new or absolutely entertaining. There are a few pleasures to be had, but I didn't really quite had a nice time viewing it, and watching it at the small screen doesn't help much. For me, seeing a film which I already saw and better the last time, isn't really worth seeing a second (Third? Fourth? Whatever!), this time trying to be something else, isn't really twice the pleasure. It's like candy trying to be a main course.

Instead of home-stuck 8-year old, Hughes turns him much younger... as a little infant. As a son of a wealthy couple (Lara Flynn Boyle and Matthew Glave), little Baby Bink (Adam Robert Worton and Jacob Joseph Worton) gets a real taste of the sweet life. A large mansion and full attention. In fact, too much attention, when his parents want him at the front page of the newspaper, three kidnappers dressed as photographers kidnap the little tyke in an effort to ransom the kid's parents for a large bag of cash. Easily looking at these three thugs (played by Joe Mantegna, Joe Pantoliano and Brian Haley, respectively), it's easy to scrutinize their inspirations: The Three Stooges.

But other than seeing these three go head-to-head (metaphorically speaking) with a baby, resulting in a series of wacky accidents meant for slapstick comedy, BABY'S DAY OUT isn't really quite as fun, or funny, as it should have been. The premise has little, if nothing at all, new to offer to the audience. Other than the three bumbling thugs, here's a piece best left as a kid's film.

Rating: **1/2 out of 5.

Away from home alone...

Author: Michael DeZubiria (wppispam2013@gmail.com) from Luoyang, China
15 March 2008

This is not at all the kind of movie that I would normally watch. There are children's movies and then there are family movies, and the good family movies are the ones that can really be enjoyed by people of all ages. This movie does not at all strike me as a movie that could be enjoyed by people of all ages, mostly because of that picture on the movie box. Ever since King Kong Lives I have developed an almost frightening aversion to any movie that features grinning gorillas. Nevertheless I gave this one a chance and I'm glad I did.

Amazingly enough, almost immediately I discovered that this movie is funnier than most "adult" comedies that I've seen lately, even the good ones. There are so many laugh-out- loud moments just in the first 30 minutes that I didn't know how they could keep that up. Sadly, they don't, but even the less impressive second half is a fun romp through the city at the expense of some witless crooks. The kids are gonna love this.

The similarities to Home Alone are obvious and expected, being written by John Hughes, who has an astonishing list of writing, producing and directing credits stretching over the last 35 years, including genuine classics like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, The Great Outdoors and Home Alone. And yes, Home Alone is a classic, I don't care what anyone says!

There is one scene of ridiculous bad taste, when Eddie (Joe Mantegna) is hiding the baby under his coat so the police don't find it, only to suddenly discover that he has to maintain his cool before the men in blue as the baby lights a Zippo lighter and lights his crotch on fire. For a movie that is so obviously meant for a very young audience, this one has a surprising amount of sex jokes.

That is, however, the only major problem with the movie (except at the end when they discover that "Baby" is only acting out his favorite storybook. RIGHT). Yes, the baby manages to walk around crowded city streets without anyone ever noticing except the bad guys, but he also manages to climb onto a steel beam being lifted hundreds of feet off of the ground AND cuddle with a monstrous gorilla, both without showing the least bit of fear. Man, that gorilla was scary, too. Obviously not real, but my question is how they got that kid to sit next to that thing without screaming and crying in fear.

Nevertheless, there are so many funny moments and so many truly hilarious jokes ("I seen him. He's in the big broad's purse….") that it's easy to overlook these things. Like so many other movies, if you apply real world logic to it, of course it falls apart immediately, but for an evening of good clean fun you could certainly do a lot worse!

John Hughes Recycles His Old Comic Formula Again

Author: soranno from Las Vegas, Nevada
26 October 2002

Before I review this film, let me say that 1980's film fans may recall director/screenwriter John Hughes as the man who gave them such "new classics" as "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Planes, Trains And Automobiles", and "Uncle Buck." These films with their varied and different plots were original. In 1990, when Hughes went out of his element with "Home Alone", he scored his biggest box office success ever. The same fate went for that film's 1992 sequel. For some unknown reason, everything that Hughes has done since then has tried to repeat the success of "Home Alone" and "Baby's Day Out" is no exception. For this film, think what if Kevin McAlister (Macaulay Culkin's character in the first two "Home Alone" films) fought burglars and criminals as a baby. The similarities never stop coming. There are some minor laughs here but they could've most likely come out of the "Home Alone" series script wastebasket. Rent the first two "Home Alone" films for originality reasons and rent this one only if you feel like making comparisons.

The things they make babies do...

Author: Trip Keanu (sun@hawaii.com) from United States
17 January 2011

I would have given "Baby's Day Out" a zero rating if possible, cause the humor is worse than awful and the movie will surely put your child in an uncomfortable situation. Violence is a big part of this movie and a lot of it takes place below the belt. The baby not only burns the bad guy's groin, but the baby also put his hands on the bad guy's crotch and twists it... yikes! In another scene the baby kicks one of the bad guys in the groin... What's up with that?! No baby should ever have this much contact with a man's groin in a movie, much less in real life. How many would find any of this funny if the bad guy was a woman and a baby inflicted this much pain on the female genitals or breast?? Sorry to say, but pedophiles are everywhere, even in movie-making, and their main objective is to gradually introduce your children to acts of perversion. So ask yourself this - Would you let a pedophile into your home?

I liked it 7 years ago

Author: jason_13 from Bulgaria
18 February 2006

Baby's Day Out is one of those movies that kids like, but grown up don't regret if they watch them. I remember I was 8 or 9 years old when I watched it for first time and by that time people loved it. It was entertaining for them. And I mean people like some teens and some grown up which surprised me a bit. I liked it as well. It's a a funny movie with funny jokes, but since I am a really huge movie fan and even something more than just a fan, this movie is nothing for me these days. It won't be funny and it won't be entertaining. Oh, and I wonder how Joe Mantegna and Joe Pantoliano star in this movie. I thought that after all they are good actors who star in serious movies and actions.

Concluding, I just wanna say that this movie is something I would give to my kids if I ever have some.

Baby's Day Out

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
20 June 2005

This comedy from writer John Hughes enters the same territory as Home Alone, with bad guys being humiliated and hurt by the force of kids, and does it nearly as well. Basically Baby Bink Cotwell (twins Adam Robert and Jacob Joseph Worton) has everything he needs, a huge home, a loving mother Laraine (Men in Black II's Lara Flynn Boyle) and father Bennington (Matthew Glave) and his favourite book, read loads of times, "Baby's Day Out", or "boo boo" to him. The parents plan to have the baby's photo taken, and in the process fake photographers and kidnappers Eddie Mauser (The Simpsons' Fat Tony, Joe Mantegna), Norby LeBlaw (Joe Pantoliano) and Veeko Riley (Mars Attacks! actor Brian Haley) take the baby demanding a $5,000,000. Unfortunately Baby Bink escapes, and he follows all the pictures he has memorised in his favourite book, e.g. a pigeon, a taxi, etc, the three bumbling criminals follow and try to get him back, and end up in more painful and comic situations. Also starring Cynthia Nixon as Gilbertine, Fred Dalton Thompson as FBI Agent Dale Grissom, John Neville as Mr. Andrews, Home Alone 2's Eddie Bracken as Old Timer and an unlisted Mike Starr. With a cute baby and some pretty dumb crooks getting hurt and humiliated along the way, you are bound to get a few good giggles, not a bad comedy. Worth watching!

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]