IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baby's Day Out

Baby's Day Out More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A must see movie for all the family.

Author: Keith A. Young (amasterblaster) from USA
3 June 2000

I laughed all the way through the movie. If you have seen Home Alone and enjoyed it, this is a must see movie for the entire family. The young and old will enjoy this movie. You just want to keep watching to see what the baby will get into next. Will the kidnappers survive?

This film kind of reminds me of The Stooges

Author: ROCKGOD from N.E PA
18 April 1999

The Three Stooges never took the punishment this kid dishes out. The first time I saw this movie, I was at a drive-in with some friends and we were all sitting on the hood of my car. As Baby Bink kept getting the better of the kidnappers I actually laughed so hard I fell off the car, which prompted my friends to laugh even harder. (So I too was a victim of Baby Bink). This is a great family film, even with all the groin jokes (i.e. baby kicks Joe Mantagna in groin, Joe's groin gets set on fire in a scene that makes me sure my son will not touch a lighter until he's 35). Even if you can't suspend belief that a baby could do all the things this kid does, any film with Joe Pantiliano is worth seeing. Parents let the kids watch it, just pray they don't try some of these things on you.

Baby's Day Out is Far Out!!!!

Author: Erik Goetz from United States
7 October 2012

This movie was capital G Good. I liked the three criminals the most. You had the weaselly thin one Norby (the brilliant Joe Pantoliano), the big goofy one Veeko (a breakout performance by the criminally underrated Brian Haley) and then the "smart" guy Eddie (and when I say smart, you will see that none of them are that smart) played by Airheads and Godfather 3 legend "Fat" Joe Mantegna. Three classic performances that carry the whole movie. I don't want to give too much away, but don't go to the bathroom when they get to the gorilla exhibit. Or the construction site!!! Those scenes almost made me go to the bathroom on my futon!!! The baby gets pretty boring after a while, but it's fun to think about how they had to keep rotating the twins every time one started crying or whatever.

I agree with Ireland: Instant Classic!

Author: johnfrancisadlesic from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
21 January 2012

When my dad's head rolls off with laughter, and my mother sees the baby as one of her six Irish babies (a metaphor as so often seen is this sweet and brilliant film), it passes the test for an instant classic: among other things, the incredible web weaved between the brilliantly, hilarious scenes is worthy, in and of itself, of an Academy Award for editing. The critics who charged that some of the events in the scenes would not have happened in reality stunningly fail to see that this film is a human cartoon and requires suspension of reality.

Please watch it! But, be careful that your head does not roll off with laughter (sorry: cannot help myself: scenes in the movie are equivalent to heads rolling off; you WILL LAUGH!!). 11 out of 10!

A cross between Baby Herman and Ow! My Balls!

Author: the_frog_princess
30 June 2011

This is how I described this movie to my kids when I suggested they might like to see it, Baby Herman being something they saw in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "Ow! My Balls!" being a fictional TV show in the movie "Idiocracy" which described a future run by complete idiots whose greatest form of entertainment is watching someone get his groin smashed again and again. The description appealed to them, and they ended up loving the movie.

It's one of those movies that you either love or hate, not because of the quality of production or acting or script, but because you either like this kind of humor or you don't. More importantly, though, this is a nostalgia movie. It is NOT a baby version of Home Alone, but has it's roots back in the days of black and white cartoons, and people who didn't grow up watching the catch-the-baby-in-peril episodes of Tom and Jerry or Popeye cartoons are not as likely to enjoy this movie, which doesn't really have much more of a plot.

However, if you DID love those old cartoons and don't mind the addition of multiple blows to the groin for the bad guys, this is a VERY well done live action version of that old art form, with a baby cute enough to inspire the same kind of "Aaaaaw!" reaction as produced by footage of fluffy kittens playing.

A tribute to the slapstick!

Author: anchoreddown from United States
28 March 2010

It's John Hughes at his best. One of the most original scripts since Home Alone. Of course it's Chicago, but from the eyes of the smallest visitor.

Baby Bink is set to become a star ready to have his picture taken. Three men on a mission to kidnap the baby for money goes haywire when they let their guard down for a single moment.

The rest of the movie actually does play out a bit like Home Alone with the slapstick moments of the bad guys falling into pits, making a gorilla angry, falling into a barrel of cement and plenty of head whacks.

On the home front, Baby Bink's mother, (Laura Flynn Boyle) is devastated and nearly drained of the events of loosing her baby.

Great comedy for someone who really needs a laugh and would be more than a pleaser to the kids.

Watch for cameos from Alfred Molina, Eddie Bracken and janitor Scrubs star, Neil Flynn.

Delightfully Clichéd

Author: munkyboywndr from Denver, Colorado
25 December 2009

I'll begin the review by saying first that yes, this movie does bear many classic cliché moments, terms, and situations. Yes, there are a considerable amount of crotch-shots, of references to diapers and to what lies within, and oh, the slapstick. Now, let me rebut myself.

Where all the other 'babies versus adults' movies fall short, "Baby's Day Out" succeeds. Perhaps it's the little things that make this film work: the minute shots in the scenes used to portray the individual characters' reactions to things that keep them individualized, the equality of slapstick that is issued to each of the antagonists, and the indecisiveness that both of the underling antagonists display with each progressive move they make. Or perhaps it's that damned catchy music playing the entire time. Or maybe it's the ending, hinting "Well, we could really ruin this movie by making a sequel, but we won't stoop that low." Whatever it is about this movie, I love it. I grew up watching this on occasion, and I guess that brings me to develop a nostalgia for seeing that baby with perhaps the stupidest nickname I've ever heard for anything narrowly avoid the humorous attempts at his recapture and then giggle about it.

Maybe there are a few crotchshot jokes, but the ways in which the slapstick is delivered fits well with the tone of the story. You should totally check this movie out, you guys.

A fun-filled family movie for one of those lazy afternoons!

Author: Avinash Patalay from Middle Earth
17 November 2009

I watched this movie when it was first released sometime around 1994 when the "Home Alone" series kind of stuff was the in-thing. I had a chance to watch it again nearly after 15-years on telly last Sunday and I made it a point to make my little one watch it as well. And boy even today - it still has its moments as I could see my little one was literally hooked on to it.

To be fair this movie is "Home Alone" pushed to its limits and the "pity" factor raised to an exponential level. Definitely there are too many cinematic liberties but the way the story navigates makes you push them all under the carpet.

The entire team deserves a special mention when it comes to capturing the right emotions of the Baby (I know how daunting it can get!). And I never knew that Baby Bink was enacted by twins - golly! Adequate support is lent by the other actors and special mention to Joe Mantegna & Joe Pantoliano (Memento).

Back then, it did have enough potential to spin out a few sequels and churn money from the franchise - I wonder why didn't that happen.

Verdict:: A few decades later "Baby's Day Out" will still retain its charm as it is today!

a confusing time for my dog "Boo",but I think he liked it.....

Author: ianlouisiana from United Kingdom
11 November 2009

I settled down with my labrador "Boo" the other night to watch this on television.As there are a large number of references to a baby called "Boo" he became more than usually interested.Now he is not particularly bright even by labrador standards but he does recognise his own name (well,he is 11) and he spent a fair proportion of the film barking in a puzzled manner at the screen.Whenever I laughed,"Boo" barked some more,which made for a noisy 100 minutes or so because I laughed a lot (simple soul that I am) at "Baby's Day Out". We don't like the Farrelly brothers or Woody Allen in his "intellectual" mode,but the late John Hughes has nailed it for us time and again since he ("Boo",that is) was a puppy. Basically a trio of hapless crooks kidnap a baby for ransom - then live to rue the day.No prizes for originality then,but it's seamlessly played, particularly by Mantegna and his cohorts who display all the skills of practiced farceurs.Good physical comedy combined with a smart script adds up to a very funny and worthwhile piece of entertainment that "Boo" and I can recommend to anyone who doesn't think family comedy is not sophisticated enough for them.

A very cute movie

Author: horsegoggles from Phoenix, AZ
19 August 2008

"The kids in the gorilla cage". The three stooges are alive and well. Three goof balls abduct a toddler and the fun begins. In a world where nobody but three persons of limited IQ have peripheral vision, this could happen. You would also have to suspend some of the laws of physics, such as; a broom handle used as a lever to catapult a 200 pound man 20 feet into the air, a cigarette lighter that takes 5 minutes to burn through a man's pants, all the while inflicting horrifying pain to the nether regions, and people surviving several 40 foot falls in one day with only minor aches and pains. If you love cute little kids, can suspend any sense of reality, and enjoy silly slapstick humor, you will love this movie. "Radio Rogers, tell him we're going back to the tick-tock to get the boo boo".

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]