IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baby's Day Out

Baby's Day Out More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Not a fabulous movie, but undeniably hilarious

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
19 May 2008

"Baby's Day Out" is for sure one of all time's most underrated films. Without being a spectacular movie, let's be fair: it is too underrated and certainly deserves more credit than it gets.

It's a simple and predictable movie, yet so comical and full of slapstick humor. It isn't without a reason that it is considered, by many people, to have natural and obvious similarities with "Dennis the Menace" (the 1993 live-action movie) and the "Home Alone" movies.

This is also an extremely surreal and completely impossible story, but then again, it isn't meant to be taken too seriously. Even if it's very strange than almost nobody notices the baby except his kidnappers.

The story is all about "Bink" (a smaller name for Bennington or something like this), a baby with 9 months old who is kidnapped by a trio of bandits who pretend to be photographers. Little do they know what's waiting for them...

The story becomes sort of an epic battle of completely hilarious proportions. Once the baby runaways from his kidnappers's place, he makes their lives miserable. They follow the baby all over the city, but always without success and they always suffer a lot one way or the other. They suffer so much that we even feel sorry for them, although all the movie's comical effect is here.

The kidnappers are Veeko, Norby and Eddie, all of them greatly played by the respective actors. Eddie is the leader and the smartest of all. Veeko is the most stupid of the three. Norby is somewhere between Eddie and Veeko. Eddie is like Harry from the first two "Home Alone" movies: the leader and the most serious and grumpy of them. Veeko, on the other hand, is like Marv from the same first two "Home Alone" movies: very stupid, so much that you have to sympathize with him.

The baby is naturally cute and adorable. He's got an irresistible cheerful personality and a lovely smile. By the way, I honestly think that the clothes which Norby dresses the baby are much better-looking than those which the baby's mother and nanny dressed him. The kidnappers had much better taste in this case.

There are many funny moments in this movie, but the funniest of all is (without a doubt) when Eddie's pants are on fire. That is hysterical! Ouch! His faces on that scene and his affliction because the two police men won't go are hilarious. But the most bombastic part is when Veeko kicks him brutally until putting an end to the fire, being his final kick the strongest of all. My goodness, that scene is so infinitely hilarious that I could laugh without stopping.

Overall, a movie which is fun, entertaining and unusual despite being so simple and predictable at the same time.

Best movie ever!!

Author: sa8713 from United States
3 November 2012

I will try not to ruin anything because i highly recommend that each person find this movie and buy it. I used to have it on VHS and my brother and i wore that out so about 5 years ago we found it in a bin at walmart marked $5 and that was just not right, so we saved it. A couple weekends ago he brought his kids over for the weekend and they wanted to watch a movie so i suggested this one. My niece fell asleep but my 4 year old nephew couldn't stop watching. He laughed almost the whole time. There is no better movie then a baby out smarting four grown adults out for some quick cash. The movie itself would hopefully never be plausible but it is good entertainment for the whole family. Just don't make it a nap time movie, most kids will not fall asleep, i learned the hard way.

A ray of sunlight penetrating a horizon of dark clouds.

Author: Bill Fulton
27 October 2010

"Baby's Day Out" is, quite simply put, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It is a piece of cinematic treasure that was birthed prematurely to an audience that could not possibly understand the gift they had been bestowed upon them.

Homage is beautifully paid to the Three Stooges via Mantegna, Pantoliano, and Haley and is quite simply an act of brilliance on the part of John Hughes.

Joe Mantegna's Oscar worthy performance as "Eddie", the brains behind the trio of baby-snatchers in this epic tale of trial and tribulation stirred a long-forgotten corner of my soul, and gives me shivers up the spine to this very day.

Baby's Day Out is the crown jewel of screenplays in John Hughes's gallery of masterpieces such as "Mr. Mom", "Home Alone" 1-4, and "Beethoven" 1-5.

I rest easy at night knowing that 300 years from now, Baby's Day Out with be held in the same reverence as Romeo and Juliet is today. All that is needed is for society's palate for art to evolve past the likes of "Jackass" and "Legally Blond 2", the belief that this will happen is the only thing that keeps me going day to day through this drudgery we call life.

11 out of 10 stars

I have never laughed so hard in my life!

Author: NCarolinaGirl from Greensboro, NC
27 July 2008

I can't believe this is only rating a 4 out of 10 here on IMDb. It makes me think people were expecting one type movie, and it turned out to be different. But with a name like "Baby's Day Out" you know it is going to be a childish, immature type picture. I never remember this being at the box office. I didn't see it until probably 3-4 years later when someone gave us a VHS. My daughter was young then, maybe 4 or 5 years old. I thought it would be a great family film to watch together. I didn't really expect it to be too humorous, probably just "cute" like so many family pictures.

Well, I have never laughed so hard in my life! The casting here is superb with the 3 crooks. They are complete idiots. There are some big names in this picture. I think it's funny that Fred Thompson (former presidential candidate) appears as an FBI agent.

It's probably been 8 years since I last saw this and I can still remember the funniest scenes. The "pants on fire" scene is by far the best in the movie - if not one of the funniest in any movie I have ever seen. Me and my husband laughed so hard we were crying. There's the fat lady on the street who get's into with Veeko,"I don't eat pieces of my body" remark by Veeko, the gorilla at the zoo are some other humorous parts of the film. My daughter however, was terrified of the "big monkey" and always asked us to "skip over the monkey" part! Some of the special effects were a little lame. You could definitely tell the times they used a fake or robotic baby. But overall, this is very funny, in an immature way, and is a very special memory in the early years with my kids.

Great Film. Falls Under The HOME ALONe Catagory, only with a smart baby.

Author: Ryan Towle (Sk8ta1987@aol.com) from Boston, Massachusetts
8 October 2002

If you like the HOME ALONe trilogy, you will really enjoy this movie. The kidnappers fall into a bunch of traps as they continue to follow a rich baby through the streets of Chicago. The blundering trio chase the baby through the streets, the department store, the zoo, the park, and the climax, the building under construction. In the end, the kidnappers are brutally beaten. A real funny one.

Did we watch the same movie people?

Author: bigguns
24 September 2002

I think this is a wonderful family movie. It doesnt take itself seriously at all. The score is a pretty big cue IMHO.

So it is not Shakespeare? What did you expect? If you want light entertainment with plenty of laughs for all the family then you cannot go past this movie. Granted it is not as good as Home Alone, but it is still most enjoyable.

Decent movie

Author: jvperret from Louisana
30 March 2002

This movie was not that bad. My kids got it, watched it a few times and thought it was the funniest thing ever. I watched it with them, and it wasn't bad at all. Some of the effects are dopey, but it is extremely funny and kids will love it.

Baby's Day Out is not a good movie.

Author: blazesnakes9 from United States
2 June 2011

Baby's Day Out is a comedy directed by Patrick Jean Johnson and written by John Hughes, who directed 80's flicks like The Breakfast Club and Planes, Trains and Automoblies. There is a lot wrong with Baby's Day Out. First off, let me start off by saying that this movie is about a character, the title character, who is a baby, named Baby Bink. The little toddler is then kidnapped by three kidnappers. then, the little rascal escaped and starts off his day. That's not all. While this baby is crawling all around the city being chased by the three burglars, he sort of get into these very almost dangerous hazards of injuring himself. For example, in one scene, he cross into oncoming traffic while cars are driving really fast on the road. That is something I really wanted to see in a movie like this one. Second of all, the three criminals look like they were rip right off of Home Alone. Even the slapstick humor is the same. Inanimate objects are flying all over the place, whacking the bad guys in the faces and everywhere else in their body. That is something you have to see to be believe. Baby's Day Out is a harrowing effort to be like a kid's movie, but fails, dangerously. ★★ 2 stars.

Superb Movie!!..

Author: powerbrain from Kuwait
14 January 2007

Baby's Day Out is hilarious movie. I saw it once and I felt like watching it again and again. I don't understand that why such a good movie is rated very low on IMDb? I believe that this movie should at least get 7.0 or more out of 10.

If any of you have missed this movie by any chance, just watch it. Its worth to spend few bucks and own a DVD.

I believe this movie is for audience who is between 6 - 60 years old.

I believe this movie is for audience who is between 6 - 60 years old.

If you like the comedies of Bugs Bunny, you're like this one

Author: parhat from Bangkok, Thailand
6 April 2005

Since my favorite cartoon is Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd and all the slapstick comedy that go with it you will like this movie. For those who wished those antics be done in a live action movie, with the help of CGI, this would be one of the first movie to explore this idea.

While the movie offers nothing new, it does offer a moment when you were watching those cartoon in the movie and wondered what it would look like if real people are playing them along with impossible gigs and CGI. For me, it is certainly better than Spaceballs.

Of course, not everyone will like this film. And my girlfriend dumped me because of my poor taste in entertainment, at least that is one of the many reasons.

For those who want to enjoy this movie, just stop thinking logically for once that it cannot be done by a baby to crawl through a towering construction sites and everything like that. Forget that, I know it can't be done. The point of the movie is to enjoy the comedy only on the slapstick comedy and funny situation. The Gorilla in the Cage with the baby, the burning and stomping of fire on the crotch, the terrible disguise of the photographers, the crooks who argue with each other and others are truly classic slapstick.

So don't take your friends out to see this (they will kill you) or your girlfriend who will immediately dump you for it. Just enjoy the movie on its own merit - at your own private room - even though this movie is meant to be a family show,not everyone likes cartoons or Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello or early Bob Hope Movie, Jerry Lewis comedies or Mr. Ed. Well I do! Great job - from a minority.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]