Baby's Day Out (1994) Poster

82 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Oh, "Baby"!
Mister-615 December 2001
Dumb laughs are easy to come by. Dumb characters are even easier. But when you get a movie that is so endearingly, goofily dumb as "Baby's day Out", you can't help but love it!

The plot is straight out of Cartoon Land, with a low bow in the Three Stooges' direction compliments of scripter John Hughes (surprise!). Three of the dimmest kidnappers in history (Mantegna, Pantoliano and Haley) make the mistake of kidnapping a rich couple's little baby, who turns out to be far more resourceful than all three of them combined. And a lot more ruthless.

During the course of the day, baby Bink (Warton and Warton) leads the dumb bad guys throughout the width and breadth of Chicago and leaves them all bruised, beaten, burnt, plummeted from innumerable high drops and otherwise humiliated ("we've had the living hell torn out of us by a baby," screams Mantegna at one point). And all the while, we're laughing.

I saw this in the theatre when it first came out and, I must admit, the entire packed-in audience was laughing hysterically at every single pratfall, gag and slapstick business that occurred. I love this kind of movie and seeing the great Joe Mantegna take his lumps so valiantly brings a smile in itself.

It's nice to play dumb once in a while. And even nicer to witness it.

Eight stars for "Baby's Day Out". If you like such laughs, it'll make your "Day".
52 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cute, friendly, and smelly diapers.
Angel-9325 April 1999
Great film in my opinion. Baby Bink is unbelieveably cute. With his dimples, playfulness, and giggle, it is hard to believe why it bombed. I think it deserves major props for being kid-friendly, instead of the hard-core things people are used to seeing. It is great for all- ages, a 10 out of 10, spectacular!
30 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Guilty pleasure, perhaps...
Bob Stout17 May 2009
...but I really love this movie! It's a pity this was released on the coattails of "Home Alone", since it's inevitably perceived as a knock-off. But the comparison is really unfair. "Home Alone" featured McCauley Culkin as annoying, precocious, and self-sufficient far beyond his years. The criminals who were his foils were reminiscent of The Three Stooges in their ineptitude. The one quality both Culkin and the criminals shared was a being mean spirited to some degree.

Baby Bink in "Baby's Day Out" is a true innocent who survives on luck while remaining adorably unaffected. His criminal foils are more reminiscent of Laurel & Hardy than The Three Stooges - cleverer and more subtle. In this case, the quality shared by Baby Bink and the criminals is innocence and an underlying decency.

The supporting cast is superb, led by Joe Mantegna in one of his best comic roles.

If you're not too jaded to appreciate it, I highly recommend this movie.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ludicrous But Cute & Very Funny
ccthemovieman-116 February 2006
Credibility-wise, this is one of the most ludicrous movies you'll ever see, but it's fun and I would think almost anyone would enjoy it. It's basically "Home Alone" out on the streets and with a baby instead of a small boy.

A baby goes wandering all over the big city with two kidnappers chasing it. People are everywhere but nobody sees the baby but the bad guys?! Hey, I told you it made no sense, but there are so many laughs in here, so many goofy slapstick routines that work that it's worth your time to check it out. I've seen it a couple of times and throughly enjoyed it each time, as have my guests - from kids to older folks.

To movie buffs, it's kind of fun also to see Joe Pantoliano and Joe Mantegna playing roles in which profanity is at a minimum, and they are in it only for laughs. It's a long way from most of their roles. Mantegna is especially impressive with his comedy. I was shocked how funny he was.

The only criticism I had, other than totally preposterous story being a little too far-fetched, is that one scene (at the construction site) went on too long. The movie as a whole would have been better had it been cut about 15 minutes. It's basically a one-joke movie and 99 minutes is too long for that.

Overall, this is a nice entertainment with a lot of laugh-out-loud scenes. If you get a kick out of seeing a baby constantly laugh, giggle and have a great time, then you'll really love this.
34 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellence at it's gist.
hmm_5 January 2002
This movie is worth checking out. Even though it's predictable, the events that happen as this movie unfolds are funny as hell. Especially the part when Eddie has the baby in his lap under his coat and the police are asking him whether or not he has seen any babies today. The baby lights Eddie's lighter - - the rest you'll have to see to believe. I rated this 10 out of 10 stars, and I agree with the first person who said "Drink your bottle of milk and enjoy this predictable film," because that's exactly what you should do. Don't take it seriously or else you'll miss the point.
40 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's childishly crude but very funny if you're in the mood!
bob the moo26 February 2002
Despite being the heir to a small fortune Baby Bink has never had his picture in the paper like other rich babies. However his mother hires a famous photographer to take his picture. However when the photographers arrive they are actually kidnappers who steal away baby Bink and demand a ransom. However Baby Bink manages to slip out of their sight and begins a journey through the city of his story book. The kidnappers try to catch him but seem to be always one step behind.

John Hughes won't be remembered in the same way as ‘great' filmmakers will be - but like it or not, he knows how to do this type of film with his eyes closed. This never gets above the same cartoon humour of Home Alone, but it still manages to be very funny. The story is daft - the baby going through the city by recognising things from his story book, however the cartoon humour is very good throughout. Some scenes (with the worried mother) and the ending can't help but lapse into sentiment, but for the most part it's sheer comedy antics.

The reason the comedy works is not due to the baby - he is cute but he never dominates the way Mulcaly Culkin did, instead he haplessly crawls his way around using `baby luck'. What makes it work are three really funny performances from the kidnappers. One of my favourite actors Joe Mantegna is usually above this type of stuff, but he's really funny here. Similarly Joe Pantoliano has been in his share of blockbusters and is funny here with Haley. The support cast has it's fair share of famous faces - Boyle is lumbered with all the emotional scenes and Matthew Glave (The Wedding Singer) doesn't have much to do. An uncredited Mike Starr as an informant, Fred Dalton Thompson as the cop, Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City) as the nanny and Anna Levine (Bad Boys, Unforgiven, The Crow) as an understanding mother make interesting appearances. However when the kidnappers are off the screen things aren't as good and start to drag.

Overall you know what to expect from this. If you're in the mood for Tom & Jerry style cartoon humour (as opposed to Jerry & Tom humour - Mantegna fans will understand!) then this is a really good laugh. Simple, unmemorable but fun!
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An all round classic!
mojo_isking24 April 2006
I saw this movie five years ago and thought it was funny and then watched it again yesterday (23rd April 2006) and i think i laughed even harder! So i give this film a full 10, cause i believe it deserves to be a lot higher than 4 out of 10! It is another classic from the same mind of the creator of home alone, which by the way is another great movie. I know that this movie is aimed at children, but the acting from the three main characters that kidnap the baby is funny! And just to here that one line to the fat lady, "Give her a sandwich", puts me in stitches of laughter every time. So watch it and enjoy it as much as i did!
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I hurt myself laughing!!!
Robert W. Anderson24 March 2002
This is one of those films that should be watched when ever your feeling really down. I have found it impossible to not laugh and then feel better while watching this film. You can't take this film seriously however. It's as if a Warner Brothers cartoon was brought to life. So, you have to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy Joe Mantegna and his hapless lackies. Joe does a great job with character. Please, if you watch this film and don't like it; write me, and let me know why you didn't like it. I like to know.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Young Baby Kicks The Bad Guys Butts (In A Figurative Sense)
Big Movie Fan3 December 2002
Baby's Day out is pure fun. If you like movies where young children outwit stupid grown-ups then this is the movie for you.

Joe Mantegna performs wonderfully as the leader of a trio of kidnappers who kidnap Baby Bink but soon find him causing more trouble than they can handle. If you liked films such as Home Alone then this movie will suit you.

There are wonderful scenes throughout. Baby Bink escapes his captors and starts crawling round the city and oddly, not one single adult seems to think this is out of the ordinary. The fun is seeing the blundering trio try to recapture him. There are some great moments, particularly when Baby Bink ends up in the gorilla cage at the zoo and when the trio arouse the suspicions of a policeman and Joe Mantegna hides Bink under a coat on his lap.

Whilst children will really enjoy this movie, adults will also get a kick out of it. Worth viewing if you can.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A must watch for everyone. Great comedy for all the ages.
dwivedi_ab14 November 2006
Its simply one of the best movies I have watched. Superbly created movie about a child who tackle 3 bad guys(with god always being on his side) who tried to kidnap him. Very cute kid, funniest scenes and non-stop comedy make this one as great movie. Its difficult to believe that how a child can be made to act like the way one did in this movie. The things simply happens with him. He no where seems to be working in a movie. And this is a great thing to watch.

In the last child is shown watching a book called "Baby's trip to China". I am eagerly waiting for any such sequel of the movie.

Good work and a must watch.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this