IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baby's Day Out

Baby's Day Out More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Baby's Day Out is Far Out!!!!

Author: Erik Goetz from United States
7 October 2012

This movie was capital G Good. I liked the three criminals the most. You had the weaselly thin one Norby (the brilliant Joe Pantoliano), the big goofy one Veeko (a breakout performance by the criminally underrated Brian Haley) and then the "smart" guy Eddie (and when I say smart, you will see that none of them are that smart) played by Airheads and Godfather 3 legend "Fat" Joe Mantegna. Three classic performances that carry the whole movie. I don't want to give too much away, but don't go to the bathroom when they get to the gorilla exhibit. Or the construction site!!! Those scenes almost made me go to the bathroom on my futon!!! The baby gets pretty boring after a while, but it's fun to think about how they had to keep rotating the twins every time one started crying or whatever.

Great film and classic

Author: wibas from India
26 November 2011

Movies are basically entertainment, and this film provides it the best. I wonder why it failed at box office, but its great fun to watch baby moving around the city and dumb wit kidnappers failing always. The scene with gorilla is hilarious, but the best part which I always look along is the "barbeque" fire. Joe Mantegna was the soul of the film. His expression in the fire scene is best. For me this film is a classic 10/10,period. Brian Haley, Joe Pantoliano added great entertainment. Oh, I forgot the construction scene and baby moving around.. and kidnappers getting dropped in paint cans or being hit by iron bars those are all fun to watch, truly classical scenes.

A cross between Baby Herman and Ow! My Balls!

Author: the_frog_princess
30 June 2011

This is how I described this movie to my kids when I suggested they might like to see it, Baby Herman being something they saw in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and "Ow! My Balls!" being a fictional TV show in the movie "Idiocracy" which described a future run by complete idiots whose greatest form of entertainment is watching someone get his groin smashed again and again. The description appealed to them, and they ended up loving the movie.

It's one of those movies that you either love or hate, not because of the quality of production or acting or script, but because you either like this kind of humor or you don't. More importantly, though, this is a nostalgia movie. It is NOT a baby version of Home Alone, but has it's roots back in the days of black and white cartoons, and people who didn't grow up watching the catch-the-baby-in-peril episodes of Tom and Jerry or Popeye cartoons are not as likely to enjoy this movie, which doesn't really have much more of a plot.

However, if you DID love those old cartoons and don't mind the addition of multiple blows to the groin for the bad guys, this is a VERY well done live action version of that old art form, with a baby cute enough to inspire the same kind of "Aaaaaw!" reaction as produced by footage of fluffy kittens playing.

This might be hard to watch if the villains weren't so funny at times

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
28 April 2011

John Hughes was a filmmaking icon of the 80's, but his career went downhill in the 90's, when he was still writing and producing but no longer directing after 1991's "Curly Sue". The fact that he wrote this 1994 family comedy adventure was how I discovered it just very recently, nearly seventeen years after it came out. It was made in my childhood, coming into theatres when I was nearly eight years old, but I never heard of it until probably earlier this year. The title and premise of "Baby's Day Out" suggest that the movie is pretty darn cheesy, and they certainly don't lie. While exploring Hughes' work in recent years, I've seen both good and not so good movies from the late filmmaker, and was expecting this to be one of the latter, which it sadly is.

Baby Bink Cotwell lives in a mansion with his loving parents, Laraine and Bennington. His favourite bedtime book is "Baby's Day Out", which his Nanny Gilbertine constantly reads to him. He is about to have his picture taken for the newspaper, but three con artists, Eddie, Norby, and Veeko, come to the mansion disguised as newspaper photographers, and when nobody else is looking, they kidnap the baby! They take Bink back to their apartment with them, but trying to control him turns out to be difficult. To try and get him to sleep, Norby reads him the "Baby's Day Out" book, but he ends up being the one who falls asleep instead, and Bink then manages to escape through the window. The kidnappers soon discover that he has escaped and go out to try and catch him. The baby crawls around through the city as the criminals pursue him, but as close as they often get, they can't seem to ever catch up to him! Meanwhile, FBI agents have come to help the Cotwells find their missing infant son.

For a while, it looked like nothing here was going to tickle my funny bone at all, and I don't think this changed until the three antagonists get the baby to their apartment. These three characters aren't funny while they pose as photographers, but after this, they sure can be funny as they try to keep the baby under control and then pursue him in the streets. Their conflict is often the reason for this, and without these characters, I might have found "Baby's Day Out" to be one dull movie! However, even these criminal characters aren't always funny (it's still USUALLY straight-faced, even with all the screen time the antagonists have), and lots of unfunny things happen to them during their pursuit of Baby Bink. That doesn't exactly include the crotch-on-fire segment, though I'm not sure what I would have thought of that part as a kid. I guess a movie can have a ridiculous premise and still be entertaining, but I still didn't find the premise here too fascinating. In addition to being mostly unfunny, this is also a predictable film.

"Home Alone", the 1990 Christmas movie written and produced by John Hughes, turned out to be an amazingly high grossing blockbuster. I saw it for the first time just a couple years ago (though I definitely knew about it long before then), and if you ask me, that film certainly is overrated, but still better than this one. "Baby's Day Out" has a premise a lot like its far more popular predecessor, with a kid rivaling adult criminals who are in pursuit of him, only it's more extreme this time, with the kid being just a baby. I know many would disagree with me on this one, but I think this particular family adventure film doesn't have a lot of merit. It blends in with such other lacklustre 90's Hughes films as "Flubber" and the live action remake of "101 Dalmatians". Now, some people clearly LOVE this movie, and I don't look down on them for that, but I'm not expecting to ever come anywhere near being part of that crowd.

A very cute movie

Author: horsegoggles from Phoenix, AZ
19 August 2008

"The kids in the gorilla cage". The three stooges are alive and well. Three goof balls abduct a toddler and the fun begins. In a world where nobody but three persons of limited IQ have peripheral vision, this could happen. You would also have to suspend some of the laws of physics, such as; a broom handle used as a lever to catapult a 200 pound man 20 feet into the air, a cigarette lighter that takes 5 minutes to burn through a man's pants, all the while inflicting horrifying pain to the nether regions, and people surviving several 40 foot falls in one day with only minor aches and pains. If you love cute little kids, can suspend any sense of reality, and enjoy silly slapstick humor, you will love this movie. "Radio Rogers, tell him we're going back to the tick-tock to get the boo boo".

Not a fabulous movie, but undeniably hilarious

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
19 May 2008

"Baby's Day Out" is for sure one of all time's most underrated films. Without being a spectacular movie, let's be fair: it is too underrated and certainly deserves more credit than it gets.

It's a simple and predictable movie, yet so comical and full of slapstick humor. It isn't without a reason that it is considered, by many people, to have natural and obvious similarities with "Dennis the Menace" (the 1993 live-action movie) and the "Home Alone" movies.

This is also an extremely surreal and completely impossible story, but then again, it isn't meant to be taken too seriously. Even if it's very strange than almost nobody notices the baby except his kidnappers.

The story is all about "Bink" (a smaller name for Bennington or something like this), a baby with 9 months old who is kidnapped by a trio of bandits who pretend to be photographers. Little do they know what's waiting for them...

The story becomes sort of an epic battle of completely hilarious proportions. Once the baby runaways from his kidnappers's place, he makes their lives miserable. They follow the baby all over the city, but always without success and they always suffer a lot one way or the other. They suffer so much that we even feel sorry for them, although all the movie's comical effect is here.

The kidnappers are Veeko, Norby and Eddie, all of them greatly played by the respective actors. Eddie is the leader and the smartest of all. Veeko is the most stupid of the three. Norby is somewhere between Eddie and Veeko. Eddie is like Harry from the first two "Home Alone" movies: the leader and the most serious and grumpy of them. Veeko, on the other hand, is like Marv from the same first two "Home Alone" movies: very stupid, so much that you have to sympathize with him.

The baby is naturally cute and adorable. He's got an irresistible cheerful personality and a lovely smile. By the way, I honestly think that the clothes which Norby dresses the baby are much better-looking than those which the baby's mother and nanny dressed him. The kidnappers had much better taste in this case.

There are many funny moments in this movie, but the funniest of all is (without a doubt) when Eddie's pants are on fire. That is hysterical! Ouch! His faces on that scene and his affliction because the two police men won't go are hilarious. But the most bombastic part is when Veeko kicks him brutally until putting an end to the fire, being his final kick the strongest of all. My goodness, that scene is so infinitely hilarious that I could laugh without stopping.

Overall, a movie which is fun, entertaining and unusual despite being so simple and predictable at the same time.

Best movie ever!!

Author: sa8713 from United States
3 November 2012

I will try not to ruin anything because i highly recommend that each person find this movie and buy it. I used to have it on VHS and my brother and i wore that out so about 5 years ago we found it in a bin at walmart marked $5 and that was just not right, so we saved it. A couple weekends ago he brought his kids over for the weekend and they wanted to watch a movie so i suggested this one. My niece fell asleep but my 4 year old nephew couldn't stop watching. He laughed almost the whole time. There is no better movie then a baby out smarting four grown adults out for some quick cash. The movie itself would hopefully never be plausible but it is good entertainment for the whole family. Just don't make it a nap time movie, most kids will not fall asleep, i learned the hard way.

A ray of sunlight penetrating a horizon of dark clouds.

Author: Bill Fulton
27 October 2010

"Baby's Day Out" is, quite simply put, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It is a piece of cinematic treasure that was birthed prematurely to an audience that could not possibly understand the gift they had been bestowed upon them.

Homage is beautifully paid to the Three Stooges via Mantegna, Pantoliano, and Haley and is quite simply an act of brilliance on the part of John Hughes.

Joe Mantegna's Oscar worthy performance as "Eddie", the brains behind the trio of baby-snatchers in this epic tale of trial and tribulation stirred a long-forgotten corner of my soul, and gives me shivers up the spine to this very day.

Baby's Day Out is the crown jewel of screenplays in John Hughes's gallery of masterpieces such as "Mr. Mom", "Home Alone" 1-4, and "Beethoven" 1-5.

I rest easy at night knowing that 300 years from now, Baby's Day Out with be held in the same reverence as Romeo and Juliet is today. All that is needed is for society's palate for art to evolve past the likes of "Jackass" and "Legally Blond 2", the belief that this will happen is the only thing that keeps me going day to day through this drudgery we call life.

11 out of 10 stars

I have never laughed so hard in my life!

Author: NCarolinaGirl from Greensboro, NC
27 July 2008

I can't believe this is only rating a 4 out of 10 here on IMDb. It makes me think people were expecting one type movie, and it turned out to be different. But with a name like "Baby's Day Out" you know it is going to be a childish, immature type picture. I never remember this being at the box office. I didn't see it until probably 3-4 years later when someone gave us a VHS. My daughter was young then, maybe 4 or 5 years old. I thought it would be a great family film to watch together. I didn't really expect it to be too humorous, probably just "cute" like so many family pictures.

Well, I have never laughed so hard in my life! The casting here is superb with the 3 crooks. They are complete idiots. There are some big names in this picture. I think it's funny that Fred Thompson (former presidential candidate) appears as an FBI agent.

It's probably been 8 years since I last saw this and I can still remember the funniest scenes. The "pants on fire" scene is by far the best in the movie - if not one of the funniest in any movie I have ever seen. Me and my husband laughed so hard we were crying. There's the fat lady on the street who get's into with Veeko,"I don't eat pieces of my body" remark by Veeko, the gorilla at the zoo are some other humorous parts of the film. My daughter however, was terrified of the "big monkey" and always asked us to "skip over the monkey" part! Some of the special effects were a little lame. You could definitely tell the times they used a fake or robotic baby. But overall, this is very funny, in an immature way, and is a very special memory in the early years with my kids.

Great Film. Falls Under The HOME ALONe Catagory, only with a smart baby.

Author: Ryan Towle (Sk8ta1987@aol.com) from Boston, Massachusetts
8 October 2002

If you like the HOME ALONe trilogy, you will really enjoy this movie. The kidnappers fall into a bunch of traps as they continue to follow a rich baby through the streets of Chicago. The blundering trio chase the baby through the streets, the department store, the zoo, the park, and the climax, the building under construction. In the end, the kidnappers are brutally beaten. A real funny one.

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]