IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Send in the clowns - 59%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
4 February 2012

I miss the old Tom & Jerry cartoons that the BBC used as Saturday afternoon filler, plugging the gap between the football and various "light entertainment" shows. The priceless combination of slapstick violence and humour made a lasting impression on a lot of people, few more so (I suspect) than the late John Hughes. Feeling like a elongated Baby Hermann adventure, this movie (penned by Hughes) is possibly as close to a cartoon-style caper without the need for animation as we'll ever see. Trouble is, I'm not a kid anymore and this movie needed to provide more than a trio of dumb crooks to muscle its way into my heart.

Little baby Bink (Adam & Jacob Worton) has got things pretty cushy. His maid (Cynthia Nixon) looks after him on behalf of his rich parents (Lara Flynn Boyle & Matthew Glave), who live in a big mansion somewhere out of town. But a trio of inept crooks (Joe Mantenega, Brian Haley and Joe Pantoliano) somehow kidnap Bink and hold him for ransom. Sadly for them, Bink escapes and leads them on a wild chase across the city. Surely it's not beyond the abilities of these losers to catch him again, is it?

"Baby's Day Out" is not a film for critics, stacked to the rafters as it is with hammy performances, a deeply implausible plot and a strange feeling of deja vu, as if each set piece has been cut-and-pasted from somewhere else. But because the whole thing is so goofy from start to finish, you can't help but fall for its charms. Bink is horribly cute, laughing and gurgling on cue brilliantly well. As for the three stooges, they all perform with plenty of gusto and a knowing wink to the camera as though they know this is just paying the bills. There is also an unusual sense of reality to it, highlighted by the odd fact that almost nobody notices a baby crawling around a building site or a zoo except our little gang of would-be kidnappers. The ending also felt a bit of a let-down, especially when you realised the plot contrivance behind Bink's quest for freedom.

It's certainly no classic but "Baby's Day Out" is an oddly enjoyable family film but one that only the really young will enjoy. It's as comic and sophisticated as a custard pie to the face and whether you'll enjoy the movie depends on how much you like this sort of stuff. I like my slapstick - I still get a kick watching Peter Sellers goof around in the "Pink Panther" movies - but I just felt something was missing from this. Think of it this way - imagine if the final, chaotic scenes from "Home Alone" were stretched out for ninety minutes. At what point do you stop finding the same joke funny? "Baby's Day Out" makes the most of its set-up but in truth, there wasn't much to make a whole film out of.

Great film and classic

Author: wibas from India
26 November 2011

Movies are basically entertainment, and this film provides it the best. I wonder why it failed at box office, but its great fun to watch baby moving around the city and dumb wit kidnappers failing always. The scene with gorilla is hilarious, but the best part which I always look along is the "barbeque" fire. Joe Mantegna was the soul of the film. His expression in the fire scene is best. For me this film is a classic 10/10,period. Brian Haley, Joe Pantoliano added great entertainment. Oh, I forgot the construction scene and baby moving around.. and kidnappers getting dropped in paint cans or being hit by iron bars those are all fun to watch, truly classical scenes.

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
3 August 2013

Blindingly stupid drivel from the formerly talented John Hughes, who continues his slide into infantilism by casting further down the age range than ever before. Presumably he'd have made a film with the sperm from 'Look Who's Talking' if this film had made any money at all*.

He recycles the 'Home Alone' formula yet again to produce this idiotic comedy in which a baby makes his way around Chicago while inept kidnappers Joe Mantegna, Joe Pantoliano and Brian Haley try to catch him, along the way enduring much tiresome slapstick. If Mantegna and Pantoliano can't find a laugh somewhere in your movie then you're in trouble, but it's not their fault they have nothing to work with. The laziness of the movie is most glaring in the scenes where crowds of people fail to notice a baby crawling around on the pavement. Utter nonsense.

* Joke courtesy of 'City Slickers'.

Best movie ever!!

Author: sa8713 from United States
3 November 2012

I will try not to ruin anything because i highly recommend that each person find this movie and buy it. I used to have it on VHS and my brother and i wore that out so about 5 years ago we found it in a bin at walmart marked $5 and that was just not right, so we saved it. A couple weekends ago he brought his kids over for the weekend and they wanted to watch a movie so i suggested this one. My niece fell asleep but my 4 year old nephew couldn't stop watching. He laughed almost the whole time. There is no better movie then a baby out smarting four grown adults out for some quick cash. The movie itself would hopefully never be plausible but it is good entertainment for the whole family. Just don't make it a nap time movie, most kids will not fall asleep, i learned the hard way.

A ray of sunlight penetrating a horizon of dark clouds.

Author: Bill Fulton
27 October 2010

"Baby's Day Out" is, quite simply put, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It is a piece of cinematic treasure that was birthed prematurely to an audience that could not possibly understand the gift they had been bestowed upon them.

Homage is beautifully paid to the Three Stooges via Mantegna, Pantoliano, and Haley and is quite simply an act of brilliance on the part of John Hughes.

Joe Mantegna's Oscar worthy performance as "Eddie", the brains behind the trio of baby-snatchers in this epic tale of trial and tribulation stirred a long-forgotten corner of my soul, and gives me shivers up the spine to this very day.

Baby's Day Out is the crown jewel of screenplays in John Hughes's gallery of masterpieces such as "Mr. Mom", "Home Alone" 1-4, and "Beethoven" 1-5.

I rest easy at night knowing that 300 years from now, Baby's Day Out with be held in the same reverence as Romeo and Juliet is today. All that is needed is for society's palate for art to evolve past the likes of "Jackass" and "Legally Blond 2", the belief that this will happen is the only thing that keeps me going day to day through this drudgery we call life.

11 out of 10 stars

Terrific piece of post modernism

Author: gjh29 from New Zealand
30 December 2005

There seems little point in regurgitating the plot line as it is both basic to the point of invisibility and a rehash of the dreary Home Alone series. The film is a cartoon devoid of the moralising one would expect in a children's film, concerned as it most obviously is so, with the fundamental laws of cause and effect (pretend you are a banana, be prepared to be attacked by a hungry gorilla). Even the baby is more aware of these universal principles than the villains, who spend the entirety of the film being assaulted by inanimate objects in the same manner as Wylie E Coyote. Like the aforementioned canine, the criminal's inherent badness and the nefariousness of their motives dictate their failure, no matter what form their actions may take. The two standout scenes are the fiery groin number (see choice dialogue above) and the zoo based action. Like much of the film (a 'tissue of quotations' indeed), the ending, set on a building site, borrows entirely from elements of popular culture, including the Donkey Kong video game and the Donald Duck cartoon 'The Riveter'. It would be a stern hearted viewer indeed who could not see the funny side of someone bad being whacked in the face by a falling hammer

Not up to John Hughes' usual standards, but still pretty good

Author: ( from Lindenwold, New Jersey
14 April 2004

Baby born to rich parents is kidnapped by men posing as baby photographers. What they don't know is that this baby is very smart, and always seems to be a step ahead. The baby gets them into all kinds of trouble, including a dangerous chase through the framework of an unfinished building, a nod to classic cartoons of the 40s & 50s. The baby also wanders into a gorilla cage, where it seems as though the gorilla is protecting him. (The gorilla never harms the baby, but scares off the kidnappers whenever they try to get near the cage). Joe Mantegna, in an unusually unintimidating role, plays the head kidnapper. In case you didn't hear it mentioned once early in the movie, Baby Bink's real first name is Bennington. Overall, this is a decent family film, but there are many others that are a lot better.

Great Film. Falls Under The HOME ALONe Catagory, only with a smart baby.

Author: Ryan Towle ( from Boston, Massachusetts
8 October 2002

If you like the HOME ALONe trilogy, you will really enjoy this movie. The kidnappers fall into a bunch of traps as they continue to follow a rich baby through the streets of Chicago. The blundering trio chase the baby through the streets, the department store, the zoo, the park, and the climax, the building under construction. In the end, the kidnappers are brutally beaten. A real funny one.

Did we watch the same movie people?

Author: bigguns
24 September 2002

I think this is a wonderful family movie. It doesnt take itself seriously at all. The score is a pretty big cue IMHO.

So it is not Shakespeare? What did you expect? If you want light entertainment with plenty of laughs for all the family then you cannot go past this movie. Granted it is not as good as Home Alone, but it is still most enjoyable.

Decent movie

Author: jvperret from Louisana
30 March 2002

This movie was not that bad. My kids got it, watched it a few times and thought it was the funniest thing ever. I watched it with them, and it wasn't bad at all. Some of the effects are dopey, but it is extremely funny and kids will love it.

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]