IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baby's Day Out

Baby's Day Out More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Baby's Day Out is Far Out!!!!

Author: Erik Goetz from United States
7 October 2012

This movie was capital G Good. I liked the three criminals the most. You had the weaselly thin one Norby (the brilliant Joe Pantoliano), the big goofy one Veeko (a breakout performance by the criminally underrated Brian Haley) and then the "smart" guy Eddie (and when I say smart, you will see that none of them are that smart) played by Airheads and Godfather 3 legend "Fat" Joe Mantegna. Three classic performances that carry the whole movie. I don't want to give too much away, but don't go to the bathroom when they get to the gorilla exhibit. Or the construction site!!! Those scenes almost made me go to the bathroom on my futon!!! The baby gets pretty boring after a while, but it's fun to think about how they had to keep rotating the twins every time one started crying or whatever.

Popeye and Swee'pea Did it First

Author: John Panagopoulos (japamo@hotmail.com) from Malden, MA
26 June 2012

I can't add too much to this wildly far-fetched and unbelievable but fundamentally watchable take on "Little Tyke Foils his Kidnappers" except to comment on the initial inspiration to "Baby's Day Out" (hereafter BDO). Lots of people must think that BDO is copying Baby Herman from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" or a couple of Tom and Jerry shorts where the cat and mouse become allies by necessity and strive to protect a constantly wandering baby from disaster. Well, even before that, we have a couple of '50s and '60s Popeye cartoons with the same premise. Taking a break from gobbling spinach and pummeling Bluto, Popeye (usually at Olive's insistence) reluctantly agrees to baby-sit Swee'pea. Unfortunately, innocent Swee'pea has wandering tendencies and easily escapes Popeye's supervision. Swee'pea insouciantly crawls through town, with Popeye in hot pursuit. Of course, Swee'pea comes through all sorts of disasters (like falling girders, busy streets, fierce zoo animals) without a mark on him, but Popeye, who constantly saves the baby from being hurt, gets put through the wringer until (sometimes but not always) he remembers to eat the plant that gives him super abilities.

As for BDO itself, it's an update of the above-mentioned cartoons, plus an amalgamation of the "Home Alone" movies and even a smidgen of O'Henry's short story "The Ransom of Red Chief". Oh, and of course the typical Three Stooges short (by the way, I'm a bit amazed that the Stooges never did a short where they had to play frazzled guardians of wandering kids, or did they?) You have to suspend tons of disbelief to enjoy this movie, like for example baby Bink shuffling about with almost nobody noticing him except his would-be kidnappers (led by frustrated Joe Mantegna) or a gorilla cage with widely spaced bars that anybody can approach too closely and too dangerously. But once you suspend that disbelief, you'll have a slapsticky good time, especially if you like sweet babies. Just one warning: of course the baby is never hurt, but the kidnappers suffer excruciating and shall we say, private injuries. Oh, well, block out the cartoonish pain too, and enjoy.

John Hughes' Baby's Day Out provided plenty of slapstick laughs

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
14 May 2012

Watched this John Hughes movie with my mom on Mother's Day. It's about a baby who's kidnapped by dumb thugs played by Joe Pantoliano and Joe Mantegna. It also had Lara Flynn Boyle as the worried mother and Cynthia Nixon as the English nanny. Lots of quite funny stunts permeate the film with perhaps the most outrageous being when Mantegna gets fire on his...well, watch the film. This came a few years after Hughes' Home Alone which I remember highly enjoying when that one came out. Baby's Day Out wasn't as hilarious to me but I had laughed plenty while watching. So on that note, this is recommended for anyone in the mood for an outrageous slapstick comedy. P.S. When Neil Flynn showed up as a cop, I immediately said to Mom, "Hey, it's that guy from 'The Middle'" though I knew him before that as Janitor on "Scrubs".

Send in the clowns - 59%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
4 February 2012

I miss the old Tom & Jerry cartoons that the BBC used as Saturday afternoon filler, plugging the gap between the football and various "light entertainment" shows. The priceless combination of slapstick violence and humour made a lasting impression on a lot of people, few more so (I suspect) than the late John Hughes. Feeling like a elongated Baby Hermann adventure, this movie (penned by Hughes) is possibly as close to a cartoon-style caper without the need for animation as we'll ever see. Trouble is, I'm not a kid anymore and this movie needed to provide more than a trio of dumb crooks to muscle its way into my heart.

Little baby Bink (Adam & Jacob Worton) has got things pretty cushy. His maid (Cynthia Nixon) looks after him on behalf of his rich parents (Lara Flynn Boyle & Matthew Glave), who live in a big mansion somewhere out of town. But a trio of inept crooks (Joe Mantenega, Brian Haley and Joe Pantoliano) somehow kidnap Bink and hold him for ransom. Sadly for them, Bink escapes and leads them on a wild chase across the city. Surely it's not beyond the abilities of these losers to catch him again, is it?

"Baby's Day Out" is not a film for critics, stacked to the rafters as it is with hammy performances, a deeply implausible plot and a strange feeling of deja vu, as if each set piece has been cut-and-pasted from somewhere else. But because the whole thing is so goofy from start to finish, you can't help but fall for its charms. Bink is horribly cute, laughing and gurgling on cue brilliantly well. As for the three stooges, they all perform with plenty of gusto and a knowing wink to the camera as though they know this is just paying the bills. There is also an unusual sense of reality to it, highlighted by the odd fact that almost nobody notices a baby crawling around a building site or a zoo except our little gang of would-be kidnappers. The ending also felt a bit of a let-down, especially when you realised the plot contrivance behind Bink's quest for freedom.

It's certainly no classic but "Baby's Day Out" is an oddly enjoyable family film but one that only the really young will enjoy. It's as comic and sophisticated as a custard pie to the face and whether you'll enjoy the movie depends on how much you like this sort of stuff. I like my slapstick - I still get a kick watching Peter Sellers goof around in the "Pink Panther" movies - but I just felt something was missing from this. Think of it this way - imagine if the final, chaotic scenes from "Home Alone" were stretched out for ninety minutes. At what point do you stop finding the same joke funny? "Baby's Day Out" makes the most of its set-up but in truth, there wasn't much to make a whole film out of.

I agree with Ireland: Instant Classic!

Author: johnfrancisadlesic from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
21 January 2012

When my dad's head rolls off with laughter, and my mother sees the baby as one of her six Irish babies (a metaphor as so often seen is this sweet and brilliant film), it passes the test for an instant classic: among other things, the incredible web weaved between the brilliantly, hilarious scenes is worthy, in and of itself, of an Academy Award for editing. The critics who charged that some of the events in the scenes would not have happened in reality stunningly fail to see that this film is a human cartoon and requires suspension of reality.

Please watch it! But, be careful that your head does not roll off with laughter (sorry: cannot help myself: scenes in the movie are equivalent to heads rolling off; you WILL LAUGH!!). 11 out of 10!

Great film and classic

Author: wibas from India
26 November 2011

Movies are basically entertainment, and this film provides it the best. I wonder why it failed at box office, but its great fun to watch baby moving around the city and dumb wit kidnappers failing always. The scene with gorilla is hilarious, but the best part which I always look along is the "barbeque" fire. Joe Mantegna was the soul of the film. His expression in the fire scene is best. For me this film is a classic 10/10,period. Brian Haley, Joe Pantoliano added great entertainment. Oh, I forgot the construction scene and baby moving around.. and kidnappers getting dropped in paint cans or being hit by iron bars those are all fun to watch, truly classical scenes.

This might be hard to watch if the villains weren't so funny at times

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
28 April 2011

John Hughes was a filmmaking icon of the 80's, but his career went downhill in the 90's, when he was still writing and producing but no longer directing after 1991's "Curly Sue". The fact that he wrote this 1994 family comedy adventure was how I discovered it just very recently, nearly seventeen years after it came out. It was made in my childhood, coming into theatres when I was nearly eight years old, but I never heard of it until probably earlier this year. The title and premise of "Baby's Day Out" suggest that the movie is pretty darn cheesy, and they certainly don't lie. While exploring Hughes' work in recent years, I've seen both good and not so good movies from the late filmmaker, and was expecting this to be one of the latter, which it sadly is.

Baby Bink Cotwell lives in a mansion with his loving parents, Laraine and Bennington. His favourite bedtime book is "Baby's Day Out", which his Nanny Gilbertine constantly reads to him. He is about to have his picture taken for the newspaper, but three con artists, Eddie, Norby, and Veeko, come to the mansion disguised as newspaper photographers, and when nobody else is looking, they kidnap the baby! They take Bink back to their apartment with them, but trying to control him turns out to be difficult. To try and get him to sleep, Norby reads him the "Baby's Day Out" book, but he ends up being the one who falls asleep instead, and Bink then manages to escape through the window. The kidnappers soon discover that he has escaped and go out to try and catch him. The baby crawls around through the city as the criminals pursue him, but as close as they often get, they can't seem to ever catch up to him! Meanwhile, FBI agents have come to help the Cotwells find their missing infant son.

For a while, it looked like nothing here was going to tickle my funny bone at all, and I don't think this changed until the three antagonists get the baby to their apartment. These three characters aren't funny while they pose as photographers, but after this, they sure can be funny as they try to keep the baby under control and then pursue him in the streets. Their conflict is often the reason for this, and without these characters, I might have found "Baby's Day Out" to be one dull movie! However, even these criminal characters aren't always funny (it's still USUALLY straight-faced, even with all the screen time the antagonists have), and lots of unfunny things happen to them during their pursuit of Baby Bink. That doesn't exactly include the crotch-on-fire segment, though I'm not sure what I would have thought of that part as a kid. I guess a movie can have a ridiculous premise and still be entertaining, but I still didn't find the premise here too fascinating. In addition to being mostly unfunny, this is also a predictable film.

"Home Alone", the 1990 Christmas movie written and produced by John Hughes, turned out to be an amazingly high grossing blockbuster. I saw it for the first time just a couple years ago (though I definitely knew about it long before then), and if you ask me, that film certainly is overrated, but still better than this one. "Baby's Day Out" has a premise a lot like its far more popular predecessor, with a kid rivaling adult criminals who are in pursuit of him, only it's more extreme this time, with the kid being just a baby. I know many would disagree with me on this one, but I think this particular family adventure film doesn't have a lot of merit. It blends in with such other lacklustre 90's Hughes films as "Flubber" and the live action remake of "101 Dalmatians". Now, some people clearly LOVE this movie, and I don't look down on them for that, but I'm not expecting to ever come anywhere near being part of that crowd.

If you ever need a information out of a terrorist...

Author: iroquoisjoe from United States
14 March 2012

...make them watch this movie.

I was seriously praying for it all to end long before end credits scrolled (...my end or the movie's end. I wasn't choosy at that point).

I laughed once. It was a moment of weakness. I'll tell you exactly when it came. After the excruciatingly unfunny (and unnecessarily long) baby-burning-man's-crotch scene there was the actual moment when the fire had to be put out and watching one of the kidnappers vigorously stomp on Joe Mantegna's groin in an enthusiastic attempt to extinguish the flames actually made me chuckle out loud. The happiness was short lived.

Eventually, I was fantasizing about someone kicking me vigorously in the gonads to distract me from the rest of the movie. It was seriously that bad.

The 'who cares' implausibilities about what was happening to the baby in question was only separated by the melancholy acting of the 'mother' and 'nanny'. I don't know which was worse.

Ultimately...torrent it (don't ever pay for this) and keep it on hand in case you have to go all Jack Bauer on your neighborhood Al Qaeda suspect. Otherwise, keep it from your eyes. It will hurt.

A ray of sunlight penetrating a horizon of dark clouds.

Author: Bill Fulton
27 October 2010

"Baby's Day Out" is, quite simply put, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It is a piece of cinematic treasure that was birthed prematurely to an audience that could not possibly understand the gift they had been bestowed upon them.

Homage is beautifully paid to the Three Stooges via Mantegna, Pantoliano, and Haley and is quite simply an act of brilliance on the part of John Hughes.

Joe Mantegna's Oscar worthy performance as "Eddie", the brains behind the trio of baby-snatchers in this epic tale of trial and tribulation stirred a long-forgotten corner of my soul, and gives me shivers up the spine to this very day.

Baby's Day Out is the crown jewel of screenplays in John Hughes's gallery of masterpieces such as "Mr. Mom", "Home Alone" 1-4, and "Beethoven" 1-5.

I rest easy at night knowing that 300 years from now, Baby's Day Out with be held in the same reverence as Romeo and Juliet is today. All that is needed is for society's palate for art to evolve past the likes of "Jackass" and "Legally Blond 2", the belief that this will happen is the only thing that keeps me going day to day through this drudgery we call life.

11 out of 10 stars

Terrific piece of post modernism

Author: gjh29 from New Zealand
30 December 2005

There seems little point in regurgitating the plot line as it is both basic to the point of invisibility and a rehash of the dreary Home Alone series. The film is a cartoon devoid of the moralising one would expect in a children's film, concerned as it most obviously is so, with the fundamental laws of cause and effect (pretend you are a banana, be prepared to be attacked by a hungry gorilla). Even the baby is more aware of these universal principles than the villains, who spend the entirety of the film being assaulted by inanimate objects in the same manner as Wylie E Coyote. Like the aforementioned canine, the criminal's inherent badness and the nefariousness of their motives dictate their failure, no matter what form their actions may take. The two standout scenes are the fiery groin number (see choice dialogue above) and the zoo based action. Like much of the film (a 'tissue of quotations' indeed), the ending, set on a building site, borrows entirely from elements of popular culture, including the Donkey Kong video game and the Donald Duck cartoon 'The Riveter'. It would be a stern hearted viewer indeed who could not see the funny side of someone bad being whacked in the face by a falling hammer

Page 3 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]