IMDb > Baby's Day Out (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baby's Day Out

Baby's Day Out More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Drink your bottle of milk and enjoy this predictable film.

Author: Jason C. Atwood from Suffolk, Virginia
13 January 1999

If you remember that old TOM & JERRY cartoon about a baby who crawls out of home and onto the skyscraper, then chances are you know what to expect in BABY'S DAY OUT. After all, somebody finally had a way to translate a familiar and risky situation to the big screen, which is fine and dandy, tried and true. However, it duplicates itself as a hybrid of HOME ALONE all the way, as we've gotten used to booby traps, pitfalls, and other obstacles before. For a comedy, the cartoonish acting fits well for a movie that makes complete idiots suck on a patsy. The tiny toddler provides us a good time with his sense of wit and bravery in outsmarting the crooks and on his long journey back home. Not as bad as some people believed, but a lot of what's going on here is way too predictable. It's amazing why this one bombed the box office!

Popeye and Swee'pea Did it First

Author: John Panagopoulos (japamo@hotmail.com) from Malden, MA
26 June 2012

I can't add too much to this wildly far-fetched and unbelievable but fundamentally watchable take on "Little Tyke Foils his Kidnappers" except to comment on the initial inspiration to "Baby's Day Out" (hereafter BDO). Lots of people must think that BDO is copying Baby Herman from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" or a couple of Tom and Jerry shorts where the cat and mouse become allies by necessity and strive to protect a constantly wandering baby from disaster. Well, even before that, we have a couple of '50s and '60s Popeye cartoons with the same premise. Taking a break from gobbling spinach and pummeling Bluto, Popeye (usually at Olive's insistence) reluctantly agrees to baby-sit Swee'pea. Unfortunately, innocent Swee'pea has wandering tendencies and easily escapes Popeye's supervision. Swee'pea insouciantly crawls through town, with Popeye in hot pursuit. Of course, Swee'pea comes through all sorts of disasters (like falling girders, busy streets, fierce zoo animals) without a mark on him, but Popeye, who constantly saves the baby from being hurt, gets put through the wringer until (sometimes but not always) he remembers to eat the plant that gives him super abilities.

As for BDO itself, it's an update of the above-mentioned cartoons, plus an amalgamation of the "Home Alone" movies and even a smidgen of O'Henry's short story "The Ransom of Red Chief". Oh, and of course the typical Three Stooges short (by the way, I'm a bit amazed that the Stooges never did a short where they had to play frazzled guardians of wandering kids, or did they?) You have to suspend tons of disbelief to enjoy this movie, like for example baby Bink shuffling about with almost nobody noticing him except his would-be kidnappers (led by frustrated Joe Mantegna) or a gorilla cage with widely spaced bars that anybody can approach too closely and too dangerously. But once you suspend that disbelief, you'll have a slapsticky good time, especially if you like sweet babies. Just one warning: of course the baby is never hurt, but the kidnappers suffer excruciating and shall we say, private injuries. Oh, well, block out the cartoonish pain too, and enjoy.

John Hughes' Baby's Day Out provided plenty of slapstick laughs

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
14 May 2012

Watched this John Hughes movie with my mom on Mother's Day. It's about a baby who's kidnapped by dumb thugs played by Joe Pantoliano and Joe Mantegna. It also had Lara Flynn Boyle as the worried mother and Cynthia Nixon as the English nanny. Lots of quite funny stunts permeate the film with perhaps the most outrageous being when Mantegna gets fire on his...well, watch the film. This came a few years after Hughes' Home Alone which I remember highly enjoying when that one came out. Baby's Day Out wasn't as hilarious to me but I had laughed plenty while watching. So on that note, this is recommended for anyone in the mood for an outrageous slapstick comedy. P.S. When Neil Flynn showed up as a cop, I immediately said to Mom, "Hey, it's that guy from 'The Middle'" though I knew him before that as Janitor on "Scrubs".

Send in the clowns - 59%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
4 February 2012

I miss the old Tom & Jerry cartoons that the BBC used as Saturday afternoon filler, plugging the gap between the football and various "light entertainment" shows. The priceless combination of slapstick violence and humour made a lasting impression on a lot of people, few more so (I suspect) than the late John Hughes. Feeling like a elongated Baby Hermann adventure, this movie (penned by Hughes) is possibly as close to a cartoon-style caper without the need for animation as we'll ever see. Trouble is, I'm not a kid anymore and this movie needed to provide more than a trio of dumb crooks to muscle its way into my heart.

Little baby Bink (Adam & Jacob Worton) has got things pretty cushy. His maid (Cynthia Nixon) looks after him on behalf of his rich parents (Lara Flynn Boyle & Matthew Glave), who live in a big mansion somewhere out of town. But a trio of inept crooks (Joe Mantenega, Brian Haley and Joe Pantoliano) somehow kidnap Bink and hold him for ransom. Sadly for them, Bink escapes and leads them on a wild chase across the city. Surely it's not beyond the abilities of these losers to catch him again, is it?

"Baby's Day Out" is not a film for critics, stacked to the rafters as it is with hammy performances, a deeply implausible plot and a strange feeling of deja vu, as if each set piece has been cut-and-pasted from somewhere else. But because the whole thing is so goofy from start to finish, you can't help but fall for its charms. Bink is horribly cute, laughing and gurgling on cue brilliantly well. As for the three stooges, they all perform with plenty of gusto and a knowing wink to the camera as though they know this is just paying the bills. There is also an unusual sense of reality to it, highlighted by the odd fact that almost nobody notices a baby crawling around a building site or a zoo except our little gang of would-be kidnappers. The ending also felt a bit of a let-down, especially when you realised the plot contrivance behind Bink's quest for freedom.

It's certainly no classic but "Baby's Day Out" is an oddly enjoyable family film but one that only the really young will enjoy. It's as comic and sophisticated as a custard pie to the face and whether you'll enjoy the movie depends on how much you like this sort of stuff. I like my slapstick - I still get a kick watching Peter Sellers goof around in the "Pink Panther" movies - but I just felt something was missing from this. Think of it this way - imagine if the final, chaotic scenes from "Home Alone" were stretched out for ninety minutes. At what point do you stop finding the same joke funny? "Baby's Day Out" makes the most of its set-up but in truth, there wasn't much to make a whole film out of.

Pap

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
3 August 2013

Blindingly stupid drivel from the formerly talented John Hughes, who continues his slide into infantilism by casting further down the age range than ever before. Presumably he'd have made a film with the sperm from 'Look Who's Talking' if this film had made any money at all*.

He recycles the 'Home Alone' formula yet again to produce this idiotic comedy in which a baby makes his way around Chicago while inept kidnappers Joe Mantegna, Joe Pantoliano and Brian Haley try to catch him, along the way enduring much tiresome slapstick. If Mantegna and Pantoliano can't find a laugh somewhere in your movie then you're in trouble, but it's not their fault they have nothing to work with. The laziness of the movie is most glaring in the scenes where crowds of people fail to notice a baby crawling around on the pavement. Utter nonsense.

* Joke courtesy of 'City Slickers'.

Nimble variation on the "Home Alone" theme...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
12 September 2006

When all is said and done (and all the laughs have been had), it's easy to come to the conclusion that BABY'S DAY OUT should have been a Walt Disney cartoon. Cartoon-like is the only way to explain the various blows the villains take (or dodge) during their attempts to get their kidnapping scheme to work. Their pratfalls become the stuff of legend once the movie reaches its climactic scene at a construction site where every imaginable pitfall is exposed--but always with Baby Bink emerging unscathed while the villains suffer their comic fate.

It's the sort of film that must have looked good on paper, but in executing it there's no way to make any of it believable, at least for adults. Children will probably have a good time laughing at all of the pratfalls and near escapes that the baby has without being trampled on by cars or people.

It's amusing enough and works as a comedy of errors. The villains are played skillfully by Joe Mantegna and Joe Pantoliano and the baby is priceless in all of his scene-stealing glory. Everyone else is more like a blank slate whenever the action returns to parental moments.

Good for a few laughs, despite all the cartoon-like improbabilities.

Terrific piece of post modernism

Author: gjh29 from New Zealand
30 December 2005

There seems little point in regurgitating the plot line as it is both basic to the point of invisibility and a rehash of the dreary Home Alone series. The film is a cartoon devoid of the moralising one would expect in a children's film, concerned as it most obviously is so, with the fundamental laws of cause and effect (pretend you are a banana, be prepared to be attacked by a hungry gorilla). Even the baby is more aware of these universal principles than the villains, who spend the entirety of the film being assaulted by inanimate objects in the same manner as Wylie E Coyote. Like the aforementioned canine, the criminal's inherent badness and the nefariousness of their motives dictate their failure, no matter what form their actions may take. The two standout scenes are the fiery groin number (see choice dialogue above) and the zoo based action. Like much of the film (a 'tissue of quotations' indeed), the ending, set on a building site, borrows entirely from elements of popular culture, including the Donkey Kong video game and the Donald Duck cartoon 'The Riveter'. It would be a stern hearted viewer indeed who could not see the funny side of someone bad being whacked in the face by a falling hammer

Not up to John Hughes' usual standards, but still pretty good

Author: (g.zimmerman1@comcast.net) from Lindenwold, New Jersey
14 April 2004

Baby born to rich parents is kidnapped by men posing as baby photographers. What they don't know is that this baby is very smart, and always seems to be a step ahead. The baby gets them into all kinds of trouble, including a dangerous chase through the framework of an unfinished building, a nod to classic cartoons of the 40s & 50s. The baby also wanders into a gorilla cage, where it seems as though the gorilla is protecting him. (The gorilla never harms the baby, but scares off the kidnappers whenever they try to get near the cage). Joe Mantegna, in an unusually unintimidating role, plays the head kidnapper. In case you didn't hear it mentioned once early in the movie, Baby Bink's real first name is Bennington. Overall, this is a decent family film, but there are many others that are a lot better.

Funny, farcical, and sweet!

Author: mjtandkitties from United States
14 July 2007

My 9 yr old buddy and I enjoyed almost everything about this movie. Montegna is excellent, and the slapstick is hilarious! I recommend this movie for anyone who likes movies like Home Alone. The farce is a bit violent, I suppose, but not any worse than your average Bugs Bunny cartoon. A few of the "special effects" are transparent, but that's OK -- wouldn't want some of the scenes to seem too real. The gorilla scene is one of the best I've seen. It may seem silly to give this movie such a high rating, but it really pure amusement and light comedy. The movie has withstood the test of time, too. I first saw it when it came out, and watched again for the first time in years a few days ago. Predictable, yes, but the sort of anticipation that keeps us ready to laugh.

A must watch for everyone. Great comedy for all the ages.

Author: dwivedi_ab from United States
14 November 2006

Its simply one of the best movies I have watched. Superbly created movie about a child who tackle 3 bad guys(with god always being on his side) who tried to kidnap him. Very cute kid, funniest scenes and non-stop comedy make this one as great movie. Its difficult to believe that how a child can be made to act like the way one did in this movie. The things simply happens with him. He no where seems to be working in a movie. And this is a great thing to watch.

In the last child is shown watching a book called "Baby's trip to China". I am eagerly waiting for any such sequel of the movie.

Good work and a must watch.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]