IMDb > Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 24: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Still quite funny over 17 years later.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
26 November 2011

Jim Carrey hilariously mugs his way through his break through role in this screwy comedy / mystery that wouldn't be as memorable as it is without an actor of his intense energy. Jim plays the title role, a hip, macho, wild kind of guy written and played as basically a cartoon character come to life; it's no surprise that the character would eventually get an actual animated series. The mystery element is handled pretty seriously, and everybody else here basically plays the straight man (or woman, or whatever, as it were) to his in-your-face antics. Ace is hired by the Miami Dolphins football team to retrieve their purloined mascot, the beloved Snowflake; soon he must rescue star quarterback Dan Marino (playing himself) as well. Ace is set up very well right from the start, intentionally bashing the hell out of a package that he delivers to a big ugly bruiser (Randall "Tex" Cobb, in a priceless cameo) as a cover while he really intends to take the man's dog and return it to its rightful owner. Not all of Carrey's catch phrases may have caught on, but some of them ("Allllrighty then!", "Liiiike a glove!", etc.) would quickly come to be quoted, particularly by kids who delighted in a character who goes so far as to "talk out of his ass" at one point. Some of Carrey's highlight sequences include his 'Mission: Impossible' spoof, which leads to the show stopping "Do NOT go in there!" moment, the send-up of "The Crying Game", the trip to the home of disgraced place kicker Ray Finkle ("I'm in Psycho Town, and Finkle's the mayor!"), and Ace's determined attempts to find one member of the Dolphins organization missing a stone from their championship ring. Carrey is surrounded by lots of familiar faces, with Courteney Cox, who had yet to achieve her greatest fame on 'Friends' at that time, Sean Young, truly a good sport considering the nature of her role, rap star Tone Loc, and Marino himself who is quite engaging and willingly makes fun of the whole Isotoner Gloves thing; rock solid character actors fill out supporting roles, such as Noble Willingham, Raynor Scheine (talk about a great name!), Troy Evans, Udo Kier, Frank Adonis, Tiny Ron, Bill Zuckert, Mark Margolis, John Capodice, and David Margulies. Alice Drummond deserves special mention for playing a sweet, loving, yet not-all- there mother who still finds the time to utter another of the movie's more show stopping lines, which you'll know when you hear it. Debuting movie director Tom Shadyac, who reworked Jack Bernstein's original screenplay with Carrey, is good at really keeping the pace going, managing to create great moments throughout. Originally intended as a less wild story, which had Rick Moranis attached to it, it became what it is today once Shadyac and Carrey got involved, and has created something of a brand name, with Carrey returning in one sequel, the aforementioned animated series, and a more recent direct to home video sequel with Josh Flitter playing Ace's son. True enough that it's crude, silly, and maybe too politically incorrect for some folks, but it still does today what it did 17 years ago, and that's consistently deliver the laughs. Eight out of 10.

If you need to laugh, this is the movie for you!

Author: sanniti from paradiso
26 November 2011

I love this movie..so I must be part of that cult following it has gained (since the critics panned it in 1994). This movie is best watched with children in the room (if you don't have kids, go invite your neighbors!). Sure, there's a tad bit of violence (car windows being busted up with a bat) but the kids' laughter in the room is so refreshing. I am not a fan of fart and barf humor (not a fan of Dumb and Dumber) but this movie is SMART! And the factor of having cute animals in the film just gives it so much more charm (the monkey scene is adorable). Have you ever watched children at play as they make up stories and act out situations and characters?? That's Jim Carrey in this film. The imagination run wild, unfettered, in full bloom! Amazing. Have yet to see anything equal to it since...Enjoy!

Alllrighty then...

Author: mbat19 from United States
17 July 2011

Jim Carrey's breakout role was as Ace Ventura Pet Detective who goes out looking for the missing pets that are an epidemic on our society today. he is hired by the Miami Dolphins football team to look for their missing mascot so it can be returned in time for the super bowl. Carrey is a master of disguise and he does a good job in this one. Their is a good well known cast supporting him in Courtney Cox (pre scream and Friends, I believe) and Sean Young, who almost steals this movie believe it or not. Of course, it is a dumb movie and one that you leave your brain at home. But it is also a dumb movie that makes you laugh and has some great bits to it but not enough to last the whole movie

Inspired, but the trend overstayed its welcome

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
19 April 2011

If you look at Jim Carrey's career, he had been around for nearly 15 years before Ace Ventura came along, doing voice and small featured parts. Ace Ventura was his first solo lead. It was also the first opportunity for him to go into zaniness overdrive, mixing a wide variety of outrageousnesses into his performance - costume, dialogue, delivery, hair, body language, and face pulling (or "gurning" as we call it here in the UK).

Credit where credit is due - it worked brilliantly. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is an immensely entertaining film, and I am happy to recommend it highly. It has a decent story, and a bravura (and very funny) performance from Carrey.

It put Carrey on the map. Not a bad thing. What it also did was make him the go-to guy for zany face-pulling parts. This worked a treat as far as The Mask (Carrey's immediate follow-up) was concerned: this was an even better vehicle for his brand of physical outrageousness. Dumb And Dumber followed, upping the ante even more.

But then Carrey delivered a similarly mannered performance in Batman Forever, and it was the wrong performance in the wrong film. Three further movies followed cut from the same cloth, with diminishing returns (Liar, Liar wasn't bad). It wasn't until the straight role in The Truman Show that Carrey shook loose of the Ace Ventura legacy.

Don't let that stop you seeing Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, though!

Just plain hilarious!

Author: neenahhh
16 February 2011

Jim Carrey was amazing! He's known for playing the "crazy" roles and damn, this was perfect for him. Ace Ventura's antics are sure to make anyone laugh, whether they enjoy slapstick comedy or not.

I don't particularly enjoy comedies that try to hard (take Mr. Bean, for example), so when my sister first showed me this DVD many years ago, I never thought to watch it. I believed that I wouldn't enjoy it. How stupid of me. Aside from the humor, there was actually a well-thought of plot!

If you're seeking for a good comedy, be sure to watch this movie! One of Jim Carrey's best works. I liked it more than The Mask. Sorry, but that Mask just plain creeped me out.

Silly but Fun

Author: armando ramirez from United States
5 January 2011

Wow, this movie came out in 1994. I saw this when it came out and I was 8 years old. Even at that time I understood the silly/adult humour. This movie is far greater than When Nature Calls.

Again, this movie in my opinion was Jim Carrey when he was fresh. His oogly googaly faces were still new to me and the world ( I think the Mask was prior to this movie). This movie is like I stated silly but fun. It has a very interesting case for which Jim needs to unravel. I thought it was well planned out. I especially liked Einhorns character. She's a great villain.

While it is a detective-esquire film it doesn't take itself too serious. It leaves you with just enough curiosity to stick around and see what happens next and Jim's character keeps you enticed. It has some action scenes but not like James Bond or the Die Hard series. It has suspense but its not too overbearing that makes you scratch your head. Its a friendly middle of the road film

Is it made for kids to watch? Not to sure, but regardless its a movie to put on for the laughs and such.

A funny film that lives and dies with your response to Carrey's antics.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
27 December 2010

In some ways Jim Carrey is like Will Ferrell, both came from skit based comedy shows where they played reasonably bit roles and were generally found to be quite funny in moderation.

Both somehow managed to wangle that into starring roles and survived and thrived largely on their wacky antics to short term stardom. This is where their career paths diverged… Ferrell still makes the same stupid film over, and over, and over again. "Look! I'm Will Ferrell making fun of an occupation by playing it dead seriously and yelling a lot when the situation probably doesn't require it! Look! I make increasingly unfunny comments and get nearly nude a lot." That's showing your range Will. Now go and invent some new "ad-libs" to crack the low IQs up when you spout them as you "improvise" on your next sh*tfest.

Carrey branched out and did different things. (OK I admit that was just to allow me another cheap shot at Will Ferrell the most overrated "Star" in cinema today.) But for a while even while he was totally one-note and relying on his shtick to get laughs there was no denying it… Carrey's shtick was good.

Carrey has a pretty unique, look and is willing to make himself look stupid at the drop of a hat, a key advantage in comedy. He has exaggerated features, elastic limbs and an incredibly flexible face capable of seemingly everything short of turning itself inside out – and don't think he wouldn't have tried it for a laugh.

Carrey can also come up with quotable one-liners and put downs with seemingly effortless ease.

In Ace Ventura someone pointed the camera at him and said go nuts and he did just that. Without Carrey Ace Ventura 1 & 2 would've been lousy, he is an explosion of comedic elements, trying literally everything including talking out of his arse for a laugh, and as this was so new and different at the time most of it worked.

Ace Ventura is a pet detective given the case of finding the mascot of the Miami Dolphins NFL team just days before they appear in the Superbowl. His search is aided by Dolphins staff member Courteney Cox and slowed down by Police Chief Sean Young, who it must be said looks very ordinary in this role (if this was deliberate it was genius).

When the clues lead all the way towards NFL greats the situation becomes admittedly ludicrous, but in a pretty inspired and creatively daring way, much better than a "silly" comedy might ordinarily deserve.

But the plot is merely a coathanger for Carrey to drape his improvisational genius on; a shoe to jam his awkward mannerisms and throwaway jokes into; a garage for him to drive his bit characters and random shrieks into… I don't know where I'm going with this.

Final Rating – 6.5 / 10. A funny film that lives and dies with your response to Carrey's antics. I like him in small doses.

Obvious

Author: kosmasp
21 July 2009

If the movie was only called Ace Ventura, than I guess it would be a spoiler, to talk about Jim Careys job/character in this movie. But since it's pretty obvious what he does, I won't be taking too much away. Not that that is really possible, because the story is pretty thin as it is.

But Jim Carey (who alongside "The Mask") got pretty popular with this movie, has an energy that is really breath taking. Even if you don't really like his attitude or his characters, you can't deny his dedication to "milk" (no pun intended) the most out of everything he does. And the same goes here, where he acts pretty ridiculous, but while others might have had a safe routine, he dares to do things, you wouldn't expect to see ... And while the movie has it's flaws, it's a pretty enjoyable watch

Classic Carrey steals cracking comedy

Author: Stampsfightclub from United Kingdom
14 January 2009

Pet detective Ace Ventura (Carrey) is assigned to track down Snowflake, the mascot of football team The Dolphins before the Superbowl.

Jim Carrey, the man. Whether you love him or hate him you cannot deny his comic talent. In this 1994 crime comedy he plays a smart crazy pet detective who has the best catchphrases of any character, of any comedy, of any film, of anyone, ever.

Opening with a delivery man kicking a package and destroying it with every step he takes and you feel as if you know this person and you simply have to love him for it. His character never slackens, always entertains and gets funnier with every scene. He is a comic master and he is this film.

Carrey's performance does take the shine off a well written plot. The script is a great incentive for Ventura to be wacky and spontaneous.

The pursuit of a missing dolphin is interesting, if not quite as intense as it should be. We see Ventura using his 'skill' and his 'charm' to give the older viewers plenty of laughs where the slapstick moments are undoubtedly aimed towards younger generations, however years on it is still as funny as when I was young. The sarcastic yet sophisticated undertones still remain classic.

Flowing all the way through, this nineties comedy follows the mad detective in an intriguing investigation. There are lapses in the majority of modern comedies where the stereotypical hero has to redeem himself to find the answer and everything is super come the final piece but there are many twists and turns and a difference in the comic formulaic style here which gives the film a uniqueness that required Carrey's special touch. No clichés, stereotypes or cringing romance sequences that don't shine off the plot, unless you count the atrocious made for money sequel.

The supporting cast are good enough to add some extra laughs but they are always standing in Carrey's superior shadow.

Sharp, witty and exceptionally funny, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective justifies the genre and is worth watching whatever age you may be.

Hilarious!

Author: MairegChernet (mchernet15@gmail.com) from United States
30 November 2008

Let me just start off by saying that my stomach was hurting constantly throughout the whole thing. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is just outrageously hilarious and Jim Carrey's tremendous performance as the so called "goofy" detective is just beyond words can describe. His constant sarcasm combined with his smart & quick wit and the outrageous shenanigans he's always putting himself in make the movie irresistibly amusing. Though the supporting cast didn't really hit their mark at delivering solid performances, Jim Carrey's undoubtedly amazing performance belittles the flaws and makes the film seem the best ever. Years have past and Ace Ventura remains to be one of the funniest films ever.

9.5/10