IMDb > Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A gut-busting blockbuster

Author: Catherine_Grace_Zeh from Fairfax, Virginia, USA
25 November 2005

ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE, in my opinion, is a gut-busting blockbuster. I laughed really hard when Ace (Jim Carrey) talked with his behind. As a matter of fact, I laughed at just about every funny thing he did. In addition, I have a lot of favorite parts of this movie, especially when Ace mocked people and laughed like he used to do on "IN LIVING COLOR." If you ask me, Einhorn (Sean Young) was sort of snobby. It's hard to explain why without spoiling anything. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say, "If you're going to see this movie, prepare to laugh until it hurts!" Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this gut-busting blockbuster to those of you who are Jim Carrey fans or like gut-busting laughs.

When Over-The-Top is Under-Achieving.

Author: dunmore_ego from Los Angeles, California
19 October 2005

Alllrighty then…

Like a ballistic missile launched from the irreverent camp of "In Living Color" (of which he was the odd-white-man-out alumnus), Jim Carrey's first starring role remains a watershed performance of mega-ultra-outré singularity.

Shadyac's straightforward direction leaves Carrey, as the eponymous hero, the much-needed space to run amok like a force of nature that few comedians before him have commanded (notably, early Jerry Lewis).

The plot of the Pet Detective recovering a kidnapped dolphin mascot is almost irrelevant, as scenery-chewing is taken to oxygen-depleting levels whenever Carrey inhabits more than one-tenth of the screen frame, in a frenetic story that takes Ace from football fields to Southern backwaters, to infiltrating a mental asylum and swimming with sharks.

Sophisticates and art-house elitists whine over Carrey's Method, but his execution is unquestionably adept and engineered for maximum impact. Compared to the exhausted shtick of the Adam Sandlers and Pauly Shores, this is a Bergman Festival. With loud Hawaiian shirts.

(Movie Maniacs, visit: www.poffysmoviemania.com)

pet population at its best

Author: hcalderon1 from United States
24 April 2005

I would hire Ace Ventura to find my cat. What happens when a dolphin mascot is kidnapped, where no where to turn, they hire Ace Ventura(Jim Carrey) a pet detective, who is real good at his job, and always gets his pet, but acts like he drank too much coffee and ate too much sugar. Although Ace may be good, but he's too weird. The police openly mock him, and Ace always seems to have a comeback for them. While investigating Ace seems to come up with things, that law enforcements would only dream of. I'm not going to tell what those things are you will have to see the movie. I am a animal lover but this shows how much a person cares about animals. This was funnier than ever. I couldn't stop laughing.

laugh!

Author: sadib from Netherlands
24 October 2003

I laughed from moment 1 to the end of the movie. Don't watch if you're in a serious mood. I think Carrey is a slapstick genius. I'm not a native English speaker so when I watched it a second and a third time I heard more and more jokes. The jokes are so many, you can't hear them all in one time (at least I was too busy laughing).

Inspired Lunacy!!!

Author: Logic404 from Alberta, Canada
17 April 2006

To this day I don't think Carrey has done many movies that fit him as good as this one does.

It's very silly, goofy, manic etc...but that's what makes it endearing. Anybody with any laughter in their souls has to at least like this stuff.

I like the path Carrey has taken doing serious work but he'll always be the best goofin' it up.

The cast is OK but not really inspired. I personally don't care for Sean Young so that did not help. If you're looking for brains in your comedy don't watch this. It's all fun all the time.

Much, much better than the second part. I thought the second part was crude just to be crude. So even if you're not a fan of Jim Carrey and you want pure fun, time to watch this movie.

The Beginning Of Carrey

Author: mOVIemAN56
22 May 2005

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is the film that made Jim Carrey. The Miami Dolphins mascot has gone missing. The only person now is Animal Detective Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey). But standing in his way are both the police under Lt. Lois Einhorn (Sean Young) and Miami Dolphin worker Melissa Robinson (Courtney Cox) who eventually Ace will woo with his off-beat charm. His goal will lead him from rural Florida to a shark tank inside a millionaire's mansion. But in the end his goal of solving the missing dolphin must be achieved.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is not exactly a great film. It's strange, it's mostly stupid, and Carrey is a complete idiot, but it works in its own unique way. You'll laugh a lot and examine Carrey in his earlier role. Just sit back, stop thinking, and have a good time.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Starring: Jim Carrey, Courtney Cox, Sean Young, and Dan Marino.

3 out of 5 Stars.

I don´t like Jim Carrey (in this picture).

Author: anonymous from Finland
11 January 1999

I don´t like Jim Carrey and his acting. His facial expressions and gestures are funny, but just when seen the first time. Who wants to watch a picture of lunatic man longer than ten minutes? The story is also very silly. I suppose this movie was made for five-year-old kids. Then it serves its purposes better. The only good thing in this movie is Courteney Cox who could maybe become a big star. In my opinion, Jim Carrey's career can´t last a long time if he keeps on making movies like this.

Not Jim's brightest hour at all.

Author: piajartist from Somewhere over a rainbow.
2 January 2003

This movie was great when I was 12, bought now that I'm older, I realize the crap quality of it. It has its moments of comedy, but overall its filled with stupid gross gestures that is supposed to be funny because it is revolting. I don't mind gross comedy, since I loved Jackass, but this attempted to have a plot.

Like a puzzle rating, this is for Children of the age of 12 and below.

Astoundingly Dumb Film

Author: Jeremy Ewing (jerm1977@hotmail.com) from US, Alabama
2 November 2000

It boggles my mind that Jim Carrey is one of the highest paid actors out there. This movie, and the one he appeared in following it, are unbelievably awful. I am a huge fan of movies that have a lot of absurd humor (i.e. The Naked Gun, Airplane) but this movie has none of the qualities of the aforementioned films. These films utilize slapstick/absurdist humor, as opposed to Carrey's running gag of distorted faces and talking out of his a**. Even if you liked Jim Carrey's brand of humor, wouldn't it get old after thirty minutes or so... This one is a real dud in my opinion, I give it NO STARS!

Jim Carrey in his element

Author: Kingslaay
30 May 2017

This was a very enjoyable film and a point where Jim Carrey brought a new and insane brand of comedy to the screen. Saying this film is funny is an understatement, Carrey hits it out of the park and introduces us to his crazy comedic style many of us love. His outright stupidity is done with such bravado and care that is almost an art. You can't stop laughing and are in for one hell of a ride. We enjoy a coherent mystery that would intrigue the viewer while also being treated to first class comedy. As a Pet detective he is too amusing as he sets about solving his crime.

The beauty of Ace Ventura is he can make his quirkiness and stupidity seem intelligent. He is insane but also very good at what he does. Jim Carrey's comedy endears himself to the audience and makes his mark in comedy genre.