Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) Poster

Aaaaaaaaaaalriiiiiiiighty Then!!!!!!
dave20 May 2005
I'm guessing that everybody knows the story of this movie by now, but for those who might not have had the opportunity to see this great movie, it's quite a simple formula. The Miami Dolphins mascot is stolen and by word-of-mouth advertising Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey) is called into manic action. His job is to find the dolphin and return it before The Miami Dolphins' crucial game.

Jim Carrey is quite simply amazing, I never stopped laughing the whole way through the movie. This is surely Carrey's best work, even now. OK, Dumb and Dumber and The Mask are very funny movies too, but this takes the biscuit. Everything Ace does made me laugh, from whipping football player's with a towel to get a ring imprint to showing up at a mansion party and being his usual manic self.

100 laughs per hour, if you have a sense of humour, then this movie is for you!!!
127 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Take care, now. Bye bye, then."
ElijahCSkuggs18 December 2007
In 1994, a year that gave us Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption, Morgan Creek Productions and Warner Bros. Pictures came out with the funniest film of the decade, err, 1994, with the Jim Carrey super-vehicle, ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE.

Right off the bat, it is a Jim Carrey showcase: chasing missing albino pigeons, rescuing a pampered shiatsu, and making high speed getaways, this all works because it is Ace Ventura, a hilarious, live-action cartoon character who spouts one-liners like an M-16.

The premise of the film is that the Miami Dolphin's team mascot, Snowflake the dolphin, has been captured and needs to be found in time for the Super Bowl. Ace is hired and the sexy Courtney Cox is made his partner until the dolphin is recovered. With an assortment of funny situations like Ace falling into a great white shark tank (!), a montage of Ace searching for a missing jewel, Ace head banging in a CANNIBAL CORPSE concert, it's all gold, and as you have read, Ace is what drives this film into comedy genius!

It was a busy and successful year for Jim Carrey, as he came out with another pair of comedy blockbusters, the LOOSELY translated Dark Horse comic THE MASK, and his hilarious buddy comedy with Jeff Daniels, DUMB and DUMBER.

Thanks to Tom Shadyac for letting Carrey out of the bag and letting this damn funny Canadian strut his lanky stuff.

It has some offensive, adult-oriented material, but if caught on television, this is nearly perfect family entertainment: as long as you don't mind your kids talking from their a$$es for the next couple months.
39 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
star-making performance for Carrey
Special-K8812 February 2002
Undeniably juvenile, but funny and entertaining comedy stars Carrey—in his breakthrough role—as a goofy, wildly eccentric pet detective hired to find the missing Miami Dolphins mascot. He's the right man for the job but his childish idiosyncrasies, uncanny bond with animals, and aberrant investigative techniques cause outsiders to question whether or not he can actually make good on his word. Aimed mostly at fans who really enjoy silly humor, others will quickly find it tiresome. There are some amusing cameos by real Dolphin football players (including an engaging Dan Marino) but this film belongs to Carrey and his constant outrageousness. Sure-fire entertainment for fans of this genre. **½
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sure, this is cheeseball comedy, but Jim Carrey makes it memorable.
Michael DeZubiria17 July 2001
Ace Ventura is the kind of comedy that stems directly from a TV show, and in this case, that show was probably In Living Color, where Carrey got most of his publicity before he became famous as a movie actor. A quick look through Carrey's filmography will prove that Ace Ventura is the film that really acted as a springboard for his career. He had a few small roles in films previous to Ace Ventura, the largest of which was probably his role as one of the aliens in the awful film Earth Girls Are Easy, but after Ace Ventura, his career skyrocketed. The Mask (hey, he's still new, give the guy a break), Dumb & Dumber, a sequel to Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, The Cable Guy (oops), The Truman Show (ah, better), Man On The Moon, Me, Myself & Irene, The Grinch, and there's no end in sight.

Sure, Ace Ventura does not compare to half of these movies, and is clearly more on the side of the bone-headed comedy that he was doing on In Living Color, but his talent is unmistakable. I first saw this movie when I was in high school, and I remember that I would ditch school and go to the theater to see it and I would laugh hysterically until my sides hurt every time I saw it. There's something about seeing a slob at a tremendously rich party who just doesn't care about the etiquette of the rich people. Did anyone not laugh when he was `testing' the food at Ron Kamp's I'm-the-richest-man-in-the-universe party and stuck his tongue out at that poor guy next to him? That whole scene at that party is classic!

And, of course, it only gets better with Ace's dealings with Lois Einhorn. The whole crying game idea may have gone a little too far, but it was always amusing. Jim Carrey saves Ace Ventura from sinking to the totally brainless level of more recent crapfests as the Scary Movies, and even makes this into one of the better comedies of 1994. This is not the type of movie that is likely to win any awards, but you will remember the hilarious dialogue and Jim Carrey's immediately recognizable rubber-faced antics in this film that served as a spring board to his career, which later brought us many more excellent movies. Way to go, Jim.
56 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie carried by you-know-who...
baz_trinity19 February 2007
Now, these movies can't be taken too seriously. The storyline is silly, the dialog is silly and the concept is silly, with one extraordinary exception: Jim Carrey, who, in contrast, uses his extremely intelligent wit and hugely humorous body actions to make this movie what it is, hilarious.

The fact is, this mans arguably a genius, he made a possibly average, run-of-the-mill, 'straight to TV' comedy into an all-time classic. You can switch your brain off and literally laugh yourself to tears watching the scenes in which he acts in. He CARRIES this movie, no doubt and his performance in this is extremely underrated. Being one of his first major roles and to actually manage to single-handedly make this movie what it is with his sheer brilliance at being a comedian-actor, well, it should not be overlooked.

But of course, it has it's flaws. The fact is, the scenes without Carrey (Albeit, they're not many of them) really just shows this movie doesn't have much else going for it besides the man himself. Many of the other actors/actresses (Including Courtney Cox) just aren't funny. But this movie, in my opinion, deserves an 8, because it's just really showcasing Jim Carreys excellence. Watch it and believe me, you'll get hooked!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Perhaps Carrey's best movie
Op_Prime14 April 2000
While his later films are good, Ace Ventura is the best of all. Jim Carrey brings his now famous style of acting to the screen. Ace is the kind of guy who you never know what he's going to do next, and that is what makes him so funny. The plot is not the best one out there and the actors in this one are not the best, but this movie is not for intelligent plots and famous actors. It's a whacky comedy that made Jim Carrey a star. The movie is not bad, not at all. Why people think that is just odd and strange. Guess there is no appreciation for good movies these days.
52 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I loved this movie
abdul_melby2 July 2004
I thought this movie was the best movie Jim Carrey has ever did. It had me and my whole family laughing non-stop! No one could have done this movie the way Jim did. I could go on for hours about how great it is. I could watch it every day! I would give it a perfect 10! The acting in his movie was great. And Courtney Cox did an amazing job as Melissa! She's such an talented and amazing actress!

One of the funniest lines: Melissa: Did you have any trouble getting in? Ace Ventura: No, the guy with the rubber glove was surprisingly gentle.
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Lee, he's crazy!"
Lee Eisenberg7 July 2005
We saw "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" right after "The Mask" came out. We could not have possibly predicted how wacky it would be. At the moment when Jim Carrey started butt-talking, my dad shouted out: "Lee, he's crazy!" And believe you me, he really was. Anyone who knows anything about the movie probably knows that Carrey plays the title character, who has to find the Miami Dolphins' mascot. But mostly, the whole movie is an excuse for him to be silly. And of course, the woman who played reporter Melissa (Courtney Cox) went on to play the reporter in the "Scream" trilogy.

Well anyway, Ace Ventura really is a master of disguise, and it's almost hard to believe that after almost ten years of stagnation in comedy, this movie came and changed the way that we think about humor. Hilarious.
31 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jim Carrey At His Best!
namashi_110 September 2011
Jim Carrey is a wonder actor. His performance in the box-office blockbuster 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' is worth immense praise. The Golden-Globe Award Winner delivers hilariously in this slapstick-comedy, that is full of double-meaning jokes & over-the-top sequences. As a film, it works and manages some truly funny moments, but it's Carrey who makes this film a must watch.

'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective': Synopsis: A goofy detective specializing in animals, goes in search of a missing dolphin mascot of a football team.

'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' is meant for those who like slapstick-comedies. This cult-classic is not meant for the pseudo intellectuals at all. Reason? The Over-The-Top sequences, and the unexpected digs at transsexuals, will surely not attract them. I, how-ever, had a good laugh and I mainly credit Carrey for it. He is fantastic as the Ace Ventura and in many ways, he immortalizes him.

In terms of screenplay, there is not much to say, apart from the fact, that it is true to the genre it follows. Tom Shadyac's Direction captures Ace Ventura's journey, most convincingly. Cinematography, Editing, Art Design & Costume Design, are worth a mention.

On the whole, Watch it, but only, if you have the stomach for it.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fine example of Carrey at his zany best!
Snake-66618 September 2003
Following the kidnapping of ‘Miami Dolphins' mascot `Snowflake' Melissa (Courteney Cox) hires Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey) to track the dolphin down before Superbowl Sunday.

The Nineties were generally good for Jim Carrey and ‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' is a shining example of sheer Carrey hilarity! Jim Carrey plays his character with his typical, undoubtedly unrivalled, madcap charisma that has now become so famous throughout the world, yet this movie probably remains the greatest example of just how outlandish a Carrey movie can be. The plot is so thin that it becomes obvious that the story was made to suit Carrey's style rather than vice versa and surprisingly succeeds well. Carrey's extremely arrogant and oddball ‘Ace Ventura' character is unexpectedly likeable and continuously places the viewer in a fit of hysterics with the increasingly wacky scenarios he finds himself in. Carrey's off the wall antics are what made this film and direct attention away well from the flaws that the movie has.

It is safe to say that Carrey was the star and provided all the highlights of this movie and while Sean Young (playing Lt. Lois Einhorn) and Courteney Cox in some ways aided the movie they simply came off as bit-part characters rather than stars as Carrey stole the entire show. Capable direction from Tom Shadyac is a further high spot in this movie and recognition should also be given to Jack Bernstein who co-wrote an astoundingly funny script with Jim Carrey.

‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' is certainly one of the finest comedies Jim Carrey has offered the world so far and despite missing the more heart-warming moments that later films such as ‘Liar Liar' (1997) offered, is a good movie in it's own right. However, as humour is viewer dependant it would be unfair of me to say I recommend this movie to everyone. Those people who dislike many of the Jim Carrey movies will probably not enjoy this one and I can understand why some would condemn this movie as being puerile nonsense. Many of the jokes do border on bad taste and much of the movie has an atmosphere of schoolyard humour to it. I am aware that some people will not find Carrey's zany antics and silly noises funny at all. That being said I personally do enjoy this movie and feel that fans of Jim Carrey and many other people will find this entertaining fun. To sum up – I feel this is an enjoyable movie for teenagers, young adults and probably for the more open-minded older audience despite being somewhat childish and risqué. Not for everyone though. My rating for ‘Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' – 7/10.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the funniest movie you will ever see!!!
champion_girl_622 July 2005
Ace Ventura ,Pet detective is about an animal lover!! The movie is funny and enjoyable for all ages. Its when the Miami dolphins have there mascot snowflake taken and by circle of gossip he finds himself looking for a bottle-nosed dolphin. In a strange way ace ends up in a murder investigation. If your interested in a great,action filled comedy that this is the movie for you. Sure liar liar is good but this movie blows off the competition.I was laughing through the whole thing , man this movie always gives me a laugh no matter how many times I've seen it i will still laugh 1000 times and more!I think if you ever saw it you would be laughing your socks off too!!! its a great movie too watch any day of the week.Even when your feeling low it'll get you up!!!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Aaaaaallllllrighty then
NateWatchesCoolMovies15 August 2016
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective shouldn't really be as funny as it is. It's random, head scratching and just deeply juvenile, and happens to be one of the funniest films ever made. Why? Jim Carrey. The man is spun gold on camera, and he sells every outlandish minute of this gonzo Looney Toons goofball of a flick. It really wouldn't work without him. I mean, could you imagine, say, Dustin Hoffman, or John Travolta trying to pull of this kind of malarkey? OK, I did just laugh really hard picturing that, so it would be funny, but only in an embarrassing way. No, it had to be Carrey, and he's an engine of unbridled comic mania the entire way through. One acting technique involves basing your performance off of the mannerisms of an animal, and I've heard that he chose a cockatoo as the blueprint for Ace. The head bobs, squirrelly movements and that epic, instantly recognizable ocean crest of a hairdo. Makes sense, and I couldn't unsee it after hearing that. Ace is probably the most eccentric, beloved character Carrey has ever fashioned, and for good reason. He's like a cannon loaded with jokes, quips, pop culture references, personal space invading antics, a complete lack of inhibitions, a treasure trove of rubber faced muckery and a deep love for any and all creatures of the animal kingdom. Those are pretty much all of the qualities one should look for in a human being. I say that now, but I feel like after spending ten minutes with the guy I'd look for the nearest exit. Ace is on the case, when he's not goofing off, which is always. Somehow he finds time to search for the missing mascot of the Miami Dolphins, an actual dolphin named Snowflake. The story dimly unfolds in the background of all his tomfoolery, and includes Dan Marino, a suspicious billionaire (Udo Kier, whose exasperation at Carrey's behaviour looks very un-faked), and an ice queen of a Police Chief played by Sean Young, with an arc that goes to some pretty disturbing places for this kind of light fare. He also finds time to have hot jungle love with Courtney Cox, and speak to people through his asshole like a deranged Muppet, among many other things that will have you questioning why you're watching it, only to realize it's like your twentieth viewing and you have no plans to ever stop. It's Carrey's show, and he takes it into orbit, never letting the mania subside for a nanosecond. He's borderline certifiable, which comes in handy when he has to infiltrate a mental facility, because the guy halfway to belonging there anyway. There's just so many cherished little moments, mannerisms and scenes that don't ever get old, for those of us that love this character. Carrey shaped the landscape of comedy a lot during this portion of his career, and the mile markers that he released stand tall and undiminished to this day, bringing hilarity to all. The sequel is genius too, and one of those rare follow ups that is just as solid as the first.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious stuff from funny man Jim Carrey
lisafordeay11 August 2014
Jim Carrey.This guy sure has a thing for making us all laugh. 1994 was the year he made A lot of films from The Mask,Dumb & Dumber and of course this film Ace Ventura Pet Detective. As well as doing the screenplay for this film he also stars in it too. In this 1994 comedy he plays a guy named Ace Ventura(hence the title)who is a pet detective who is solving a mystery on the whereabouts of a dolphin named Snowflake who apparently gets abducted by some former Rugby player called Ray Finkle who is out to get revenge on Dan Morino(playing himself). So its up to Ace to solve the mystery and discover who was the culprit behind it. Meanwhile there is a new Lieutenant in charge at the police station named Lori Elenhorn(played by Sean Young) who is a no nonsense chick who doesn't like Ace Ventura,BUT is she all what she seems to be?

Bottom line if you are a die hard fan of Jim Carrey's than this is for you,as there is a lot of slapstick humor going on in this film and also Jim Carrey making funny faces and acting like all daft and crazy throughout the film. Also stars a very young Courtney Cox as the love interest,this film is thoroughly entertaining stuff.

I haven't seen this film in a very long time and I was lucky to get the box set of Ace Ventura in HMV a few days ago.

Overall its a 6.5/10 and out of 5 stars I give it 3.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Carrey saves an otherwise mediocre flick
TheOtherFool20 January 2005
Way before Carrey started his Academy Award quest with movies such as Man On The Moon, The Majestic or the recent Eternal Sunshine, goofiness was what the man was about. Now, in this first 'Ace Ventura' movie, Carrey needs to do little more.

Carrey is Ace Ventura, a pet detective (duh) who's called in to find a stolen dolphin who's a mascot for a major football team (as one might expect: The Dolphins). While the police do their job to find it as well, Carrey proves his investigating skills while a young Courteney Cox helps along as Melissa Robinson, who works at the Dolphins (as what I don't remember. Oh well, who cares?).

The story provides some funny moments (the 'coming out' at the end, and in particular the scene in which Carrey snoops around the huge mansion of the cocky billionaire), but it's mostly Carrey's facial expressions and moves that saves this movie. Whenever you feel like the movie's getting more stupid by the minutes, he comes in and bags yet another scene. I'm gonna tell you, that guy is pretty damn funny.

If you feel like you can need an incredibly goofy movie, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective might just be your thing. 6/10.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Jackson Booth-Millard9 March 2005
This was Jim Carrey's first official role and launched his brilliant career. He stars as Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. "He's the best there is. Actually, he's the only one there is." The mascot of the Miami Dolphins "Snowflake the Dolphin" has been kidnapped. It is Ace's job to find this dolphin. He has help from Courney Cox (Arquette) and Sean Young who has a funny but sick story towards the end. There is also an appearance by legendary Miami Dolphin player Dan Marino (as himself). A hilarious film with wonderful slapstick and cuddly animals thrown in. The best part for me is seeing Ace being thrown about by a shark! Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls followed. Very good!
15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The movie that launched Jim Carrey into orbit.
Boba_Fett113821 May 2008
This is one crazy comedy that is totally being carried by Jim Carrey's performance.

Sort of the problem with comedies though is its simple written story. It's as if the best writers don't want to touch the comedy genre with an 10-feet pole and they are above the genre, which is sort of understandable since comedies simply never have been amongst the most appreciated or high class movies. But than again on the other hand comedies also shouldn't ever be too complicated, or else they wouldn't be really comedies. But at least you should always trow in some originality. Basically the only thing that makes this movie truly original is Jim Carrey.

You can say that this is really the movie that launched Carrey's comedy career. Shortly after this he got parts in movies such as "Dumb & Dumber", "The Mask" and "The Truman Show". It's as if director these days keep him more on a short leach but in this early movie from him there is no holding back and he goes totally over-the-top with his Ace Ventura character. This is perhaps also the very same reason why Ace Ventura has grown out into a well known comical character. It's really Carrey that makes this movie and its humor work out so well, since lets face it; the movie its script really doesn't provide the movie with that much comical material to work with. I really can't imaging how this movie would had been without Jim Carrey in it.

The movie further more also has a good supporting cast with fine actors such as Courteney Cox, Sean Young, Udo Kier, Troy Evans, John Capodice and more.

No it's not its directing or overall style that makes this really a special comedy to watch. It has a very typical style in directing, character treatment, it's music and other little things such as this. The '90's just wasn't the best decade for movies in terms of style and its way of film-making. You didn't really realized it at the time but looking back at it now, the '90's is perhaps the decade of movies with the least distinctive- and stylish style.

Luckily Jim Carrey's presence compensates for basically everything. He makes the movie a real worthwhile one, although the eventual movie still is just not as classic as its main character is.

3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Whats a movie like this doing with a rating of 63%.
dobbin-44 July 2007
Ace Ventura is one of my favourite Jim Carrey movies and I after watching this have been anxious to see Jim Carrey movies ever since. It is an hilarious movie and most of the jokes they have in the movie work really well. This movie has pretty much nothing wrong with and it just keeps the silliness going like with bits like the shark in the tank and the bit where he chews up the cigarette the lady asks if he wants an astray and he replies with "no I do not smoke it is a filthy habit" are just a tiny portion of things that are hilarious and if this movie was any more funny it would not be called a movie anymore but I do not know something bigger so I will not say what it would. Overall I will rate this movie 93% for being a damn funny movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Pet Detective is in!
dee.reid19 February 2007
Let it be known that Jim Carrey is a comic madman. He may not be the smartest cat on the stage, but there's no question that his act, especially in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," is the real deal.

Director Tom Shadyac saw fit to put the Man with the Rubber Face, later The Man on the Moon, in his own starring vehicle with this comedy hit from 1994. I've never laughed so hard in my life; that was from the first time I saw it. I saw "Shaun of the Dead" 10 years after Carrey's vehicle; that was another time when I laughed myself silly.

Sure, the humor is immature from time to time. But that's part of Carrey's act, as the colorful gumshoe of the title, who takes on the case of retrieving the Miami Dolphins' prized mascot, Snowflake, after it's stolen from its tank one night. Of course, as the title would lead you to believe, Ace Ventura is no ordinary detective. "I don't do humans," he asserts to us. His specialty is pets. It's hard out there for pet detectives, since it's a field that nobody takes too seriously, except Ace, that is. So when he gets the call for duty, he's all over the case.

His investigation pairs him with Melissa Robinson ("Friends" Courteney Cox), and the two uncover some startling details about the Miami team's history, and one of its most controversial players, who missed the field goal kick at the 1984 Super Bowl that would have won the game and blames Dan Marino for the whole thing. That player hasn't been seen since. Meanwhile, Ace runs afoul of Miami police department lieutenant Lois Einhorn (Sean Young), who seriously needs to take a chill pill and is hiding something more than just a gun under her skirt.

"Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" is a comic tour de force. Of course Carrey has done plenty of better things since this flick, but for commercial purposes, so let's just leave that in the future. Ace Ventura is something that only he could have done, and made it work. Sure his methods are "unusual," but hey, he gets the job done.

I wonder if this flick helped to spark interest in a new law enforcement field?

4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Believe-It-Or-Not, This Was A Hit Movie
ccthemovieman-117 June 2007
I actually saw this movie one and one-third times. The "third" was the second viewing where it hit me that this was going to go from "fairly funny" to "incredibly stupid" in one viewing, so why continue? This kind of lame-brain humor is tolerable one time, is all I am saying.

Carrey is good at what he does, and he's far better than the script. I can enjoy moronic humor many times, but this takes it to another level! How I sat through this the first time makes me shake my head in wonder, except that I was with a friend at the theater so was a big Miami Dolphins fan and wanted to see how quarterback Dan Marino acted in here. The story revolves around the pro football team's dolphin mascot being stolen. "Ace" may be weird and a bit stupid, but he has a good heart and that's why he make a likable character.

Carrey can be funny with the stupid characters he plays - which includes this film - but he also be extremely annoying and wear thin fast. This is a great example of that. It's also an example of crude humor insert into what - on the surface - looks to be a "cute animal picture." This is not a kids' film - certainly not appropriate. It isn't much an adult film, either, but it sure served Carrey well and it helped catapult him into stardom.

Apparently, a lot of folks like this movie because it spawned a sequel. If you thought this film was bad, don't see the sequel. It makes this movie look like "Citizen Kane."
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Jim's brightest hour at all.
piajartist2 January 2003
This movie was great when I was 12, bought now that I'm older, I realize the crap quality of it. It has its moments of comedy, but overall its filled with stupid gross gestures that is supposed to be funny because it is revolting. I don't mind gross comedy, since I loved Jackass, but this attempted to have a plot.

Like a puzzle rating, this is for Children of the age of 12 and below.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Astoundingly Dumb Film
Jeremy Ewing2 November 2000
It boggles my mind that Jim Carrey is one of the highest paid actors out there. This movie, and the one he appeared in following it, are unbelievably awful. I am a huge fan of movies that have a lot of absurd humor (i.e. The Naked Gun, Airplane) but this movie has none of the qualities of the aforementioned films. These films utilize slapstick/absurdist humor, as opposed to Carrey's running gag of distorted faces and talking out of his a**. Even if you liked Jim Carrey's brand of humor, wouldn't it get old after thirty minutes or so... This one is a real dud in my opinion, I give it NO STARS!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Beginning Of Carrey
mOVIemAN5622 May 2005
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is the film that made Jim Carrey. The Miami Dolphins mascot has gone missing. The only person now is Animal Detective Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey). But standing in his way are both the police under Lt. Lois Einhorn (Sean Young) and Miami Dolphin worker Melissa Robinson (Courtney Cox) who eventually Ace will woo with his off-beat charm. His goal will lead him from rural Florida to a shark tank inside a millionaire's mansion. But in the end his goal of solving the missing dolphin must be achieved.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is not exactly a great film. It's strange, it's mostly stupid, and Carrey is a complete idiot, but it works in its own unique way. You'll laugh a lot and examine Carrey in his earlier role. Just sit back, stop thinking, and have a good time.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Starring: Jim Carrey, Courtney Cox, Sean Young, and Dan Marino.

3 out of 5 Stars.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I don´t like Jim Carrey (in this picture).
Lassi-411 January 1999
I don´t like Jim Carrey and his acting. His facial expressions and gestures are funny, but just when seen the first time. Who wants to watch a picture of lunatic man longer than ten minutes? The story is also very silly. I suppose this movie was made for five-year-old kids. Then it serves its purposes better. The only good thing in this movie is Courteney Cox who could maybe become a big star. In my opinion, Jim Carrey's career can´t last a long time if he keeps on making movies like this.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inspired Lunacy!!!
Logic40417 April 2006
To this day I don't think Carrey has done many movies that fit him as good as this one does.

It's very silly, goofy, manic etc...but that's what makes it endearing. Anybody with any laughter in their souls has to at least like this stuff.

I like the path Carrey has taken doing serious work but he'll always be the best goofin' it up.

The cast is OK but not really inspired. I personally don't care for Sean Young so that did not help. If you're looking for brains in your comedy don't watch this. It's all fun all the time.

Much, much better than the second part. I thought the second part was crude just to be crude. So even if you're not a fan of Jim Carrey and you want pure fun, time to watch this movie.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably one of Jim Carey's more irritating movies
david-sarkies1 August 2011
Many people swear by this movie; I swear at it. I do not particularly like this movie. It is crass, funny in parts, and in other parts down right disgusting (just as discovering Mr Winkle on Sean Young). This movie is about evil transvestites, homosexuality, jealousy, being a sore loser, refusing to take the blame for one's actions, and generally other things that I don't particularly want to watch. The mascot for the Miami Dolphins has been kidnapped and a secretary recommends a pet detective named Ace Ventura (Jim Carey) to solve the case. Ace discovers that somebody involved with the Dolphins kidnapped the dolphin and his trail leads to a player that missed a field goal and cost the Dolphins the grand final a few years back. This player has received a lot of hate mail from psychotic fans, and you start to feel sorry for him; that is until you learn that he blames somebody else. Thus he has created an elaborate ploy, in which he becomes a woman so as to get back at the Dolphins for his humiliating defeat. My main criticism about this movie is the character of Ace Ventura; I don't think that it suits the movie. In a way he is disgusting, the most horrid character Carey has played. Now I don't mind Jim Carey, his comedy style is a little over the top, but generally he is a reasonable actor. It is just that this movie really puts me off him. It seems that the character of Ace and the plot of the movie clash and doesn't work. The plot is not that important though because it is Carey's character that people come to see. This is not what I watch a movie for, and as such this causes problems with the movie itself. Adlibbing: Carey probably did a bit of this in the movie, and if done properly then it can come out well. I think ad libbed lines are best when the actor has the gift of doing it, and Carey probably has. Eddie Murphy is a dream at it, but then Murphy is one of my favourite comic actors. Carey on the other hand is reasonable. I think he has done some fine movie, but Ace Ventura is not one of them.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this