IMDb > Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Jim Carrey At His Best!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
10 September 2011

Jim Carrey is a wonder actor. His performance in the box-office blockbuster 'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' is worth immense praise. The Golden-Globe Award Winner delivers hilariously in this slapstick-comedy, that is full of double-meaning jokes & over-the-top sequences. As a film, it works and manages some truly funny moments, but it's Carrey who makes this film a must watch.

'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective': Synopsis: A goofy detective specializing in animals, goes in search of a missing dolphin mascot of a football team.

'Ace Ventura: Pet Detective' is meant for those who like slapstick-comedies. This cult-classic is not meant for the pseudo intellectuals at all. Reason? The Over-The-Top sequences, and the unexpected digs at transsexuals, will surely not attract them. I, how-ever, had a good laugh and I mainly credit Carrey for it. He is fantastic as the Ace Ventura and in many ways, he immortalizes him.

In terms of screenplay, there is not much to say, apart from the fact, that it is true to the genre it follows. Tom Shadyac's Direction captures Ace Ventura's journey, most convincingly. Cinematography, Editing, Art Design & Costume Design, are worth a mention.

On the whole, Watch it, but only, if you have the stomach for it.

The Pet Detective is in!

Author: dee.reid from United States
19 February 2007

Let it be known that Jim Carrey is a comic madman. He may not be the smartest cat on the stage, but there's no question that his act, especially in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," is the real deal.

Director Tom Shadyac saw fit to put the Man with the Rubber Face, later The Man on the Moon, in his own starring vehicle with this comedy hit from 1994. I've never laughed so hard in my life; that was from the first time I saw it. I saw "Shaun of the Dead" 10 years after Carrey's vehicle; that was another time when I laughed myself silly.

Sure, the humor is immature from time to time. But that's part of Carrey's act, as the colorful gumshoe of the title, who takes on the case of retrieving the Miami Dolphins' prized mascot, Snowflake, after it's stolen from its tank one night. Of course, as the title would lead you to believe, Ace Ventura is no ordinary detective. "I don't do humans," he asserts to us. His specialty is pets. It's hard out there for pet detectives, since it's a field that nobody takes too seriously, except Ace, that is. So when he gets the call for duty, he's all over the case.

His investigation pairs him with Melissa Robinson ("Friends" Courteney Cox), and the two uncover some startling details about the Miami team's history, and one of its most controversial players, who missed the field goal kick at the 1984 Super Bowl that would have won the game and blames Dan Marino for the whole thing. That player hasn't been seen since. Meanwhile, Ace runs afoul of Miami police department lieutenant Lois Einhorn (Sean Young), who seriously needs to take a chill pill and is hiding something more than just a gun under her skirt.

"Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" is a comic tour de force. Of course Carrey has done plenty of better things since this flick, but for commercial purposes, so let's just leave that in the future. Ace Ventura is something that only he could have done, and made it work. Sure his methods are "unusual," but hey, he gets the job done.

I wonder if this flick helped to spark interest in a new law enforcement field?

Whats a movie like this doing with a rating of 63%.

Author: dobbin-4 from Australia
4 July 2007

Ace Ventura is one of my favourite Jim Carrey movies and I after watching this have been anxious to see Jim Carrey movies ever since. It is an hilarious movie and most of the jokes they have in the movie work really well. This movie has pretty much nothing wrong with and it just keeps the silliness going like with bits like the shark in the tank and the bit where he chews up the cigarette the lady asks if he wants an astray and he replies with "no I do not smoke it is a filthy habit" are just a tiny portion of things that are hilarious and if this movie was any more funny it would not be called a movie anymore but I do not know something bigger so I will not say what it would. Overall I will rate this movie 93% for being a damn funny movie.

The Beginning Of Carrey

Author: mOVIemAN56
22 May 2005

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is the film that made Jim Carrey. The Miami Dolphins mascot has gone missing. The only person now is Animal Detective Ace Ventura (Jim Carrey). But standing in his way are both the police under Lt. Lois Einhorn (Sean Young) and Miami Dolphin worker Melissa Robinson (Courtney Cox) who eventually Ace will woo with his off-beat charm. His goal will lead him from rural Florida to a shark tank inside a millionaire's mansion. But in the end his goal of solving the missing dolphin must be achieved.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective is not exactly a great film. It's strange, it's mostly stupid, and Carrey is a complete idiot, but it works in its own unique way. You'll laugh a lot and examine Carrey in his earlier role. Just sit back, stop thinking, and have a good time.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. Starring: Jim Carrey, Courtney Cox, Sean Young, and Dan Marino.

3 out of 5 Stars.

Astoundingly Dumb Film

Author: Jeremy Ewing (jerm1977@hotmail.com) from US, Alabama
2 November 2000

It boggles my mind that Jim Carrey is one of the highest paid actors out there. This movie, and the one he appeared in following it, are unbelievably awful. I am a huge fan of movies that have a lot of absurd humor (i.e. The Naked Gun, Airplane) but this movie has none of the qualities of the aforementioned films. These films utilize slapstick/absurdist humor, as opposed to Carrey's running gag of distorted faces and talking out of his a**. Even if you liked Jim Carrey's brand of humor, wouldn't it get old after thirty minutes or so... This one is a real dud in my opinion, I give it NO STARS!

One of his funniest movies

Author: buddhadan-1 from United States
13 September 2006

Jim Carrey (sp?) is truly hilarious in this movie as the wacky pet loving pet detective.

The number of one liners and silly phrases in this movie that are truly memorable outnumbers those in most other movies. The movie is so quotable that even I can remember a great number of quotes from the movie and I've never been really good at doing that.

If your not a Carrey fan, then this movie is most certainly not for you, as he is himself (his standard wacky crazy character) in the entire movie.

I strongly recommend the movie as long as you are able to turn your thinking mind down a little and just enjoy the silly nature of the movie and the characters that Jim becomes throughout.

laugh!

Author: sadib from Netherlands
24 October 2003

I laughed from moment 1 to the end of the movie. Don't watch if you're in a serious mood. I think Carrey is a slapstick genius. I'm not a native English speaker so when I watched it a second and a third time I heard more and more jokes. The jokes are so many, you can't hear them all in one time (at least I was too busy laughing).

Its OK, but would be better if actor did not act like a fool to be funny

Author: utahman1971 from United States
4 December 2013

That is the problem with people watching movies like this. They like it, and call Jim Carrey the best. Any one can make a fool out of themselves. It isn't really that hard at all. Really, a movie that an actor makes a fool out of himself to make people laugh. Most any comedy now is just this. I really got out of this in my 20's. I do not see it really funny any more or Jim Carrey at all. Its just dumb, like the title Dumb and Dumber.

Being dumb is actually not funny. You will never really grow up by being dumb, and people learn to be dumb, by watching these kind of movies, thinking it is the coolest thing to try what they do to make people laugh. OK, that really makes no sense at all, but people will do it. Might as well, go get plastered from drinking, and make people laugh too. That is exactly the same thing people do as Jim Carrey does. He is probably drunk when he does his movies.

I am hesitant on seeing Kick Ass 2, because he is in it.

The movie that launched Jim Carrey into orbit.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
21 May 2008

This is one crazy comedy that is totally being carried by Jim Carrey's performance.

Sort of the problem with comedies though is its simple written story. It's as if the best writers don't want to touch the comedy genre with an 10-feet pole and they are above the genre, which is sort of understandable since comedies simply never have been amongst the most appreciated or high class movies. But than again on the other hand comedies also shouldn't ever be too complicated, or else they wouldn't be really comedies. But at least you should always trow in some originality. Basically the only thing that makes this movie truly original is Jim Carrey.

You can say that this is really the movie that launched Carrey's comedy career. Shortly after this he got parts in movies such as "Dumb & Dumber", "The Mask" and "The Truman Show". It's as if director these days keep him more on a short leach but in this early movie from him there is no holding back and he goes totally over-the-top with his Ace Ventura character. This is perhaps also the very same reason why Ace Ventura has grown out into a well known comical character. It's really Carrey that makes this movie and its humor work out so well, since lets face it; the movie its script really doesn't provide the movie with that much comical material to work with. I really can't imaging how this movie would had been without Jim Carrey in it.

The movie further more also has a good supporting cast with fine actors such as Courteney Cox, Sean Young, Udo Kier, Troy Evans, John Capodice and more.

No it's not its directing or overall style that makes this really a special comedy to watch. It has a very typical style in directing, character treatment, it's music and other little things such as this. The '90's just wasn't the best decade for movies in terms of style and its way of film-making. You didn't really realized it at the time but looking back at it now, the '90's is perhaps the decade of movies with the least distinctive- and stylish style.

Luckily Jim Carrey's presence compensates for basically everything. He makes the movie a real worthwhile one, although the eventual movie still is just not as classic as its main character is.

I don´t like Jim Carrey (in this picture).

Author: anonymous from Finland
11 January 1999

I don´t like Jim Carrey and his acting. His facial expressions and gestures are funny, but just when seen the first time. Who wants to watch a picture of lunatic man longer than ten minutes? The story is also very silly. I suppose this movie was made for five-year-old kids. Then it serves its purposes better. The only good thing in this movie is Courteney Cox who could maybe become a big star. In my opinion, Jim Carrey's career can´t last a long time if he keeps on making movies like this.

Page 2 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]