IMDb > Above the Rim (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

one of my all time fav.

Author: PAC4LIFE from indiana
19 March 2001

this is a good movie.i saw it first back round 95' and i have seen it over 10 times since. im personaly strugglin tryin to get a basketball scholarship and this movie gives u a real life view of what the road to get there is like. people gettin in ur way,drugs,gangs, this is a great movie. even if u dont like basketball this movie is still a good 7 or 8. the best part of this movie is hearing about birdies brother who had a real shot of going somewhere with basketball when a childhood accident distroys everything. this trubbles him the whole movie as he tries to get past the memories but cant. if you like this movie and like basketball you will love "HOOP DREAMS".these are my 2 favorite movies of all time and i think youll like em 2. -rip pac

Good basketball movie

Author: gangstahippie from Canada(Montreal, Quebec)
6 March 2008

Rated R for Language and Some Violence

Above The Rim is one of the few films rapper Tupac Shakur was featured in.This is the second film of his that I have seen, the other being Juice which was also a great film.Not many rappers are good actors(look at 50 Cent in Get Rich Or Die Trying, even though I liked the film, 50 Cent wasn't a very good actor).But Tupac is a great actor in both films and probably in all the other films he was featured in.Above The Rim is a basketball film about a young promising basketball star who meets this security guard who used to be an all star on the team he was in.The man's brother(Tupac) is a drug dealer.The film basically shows his relationship with the two and how the security guard is dating his mother.Because of this and other reasons, he dislikes him at first but then starts liking him.The film also stars Marlon Wayans who provides the comic relief in this film and Bernie Mac as a bum who knew the security guard.Above The Rim has good performances and is overall a good film.I would say just as good as "Juice".

Pollack direct s a fine time piece...

Author: christophaskell from Denton, Tx
4 September 2003

I had a few problems with this film. First of all, the entire B story with Sheppard was a little hokey. The tragic death of a best friend, and the best name the writers could think of was 'nutso'? Oh, and the dream sequence in the beginning I thought was really funny, in other words very poorly made. Those things aside, I enjoyed 'Above the Rim'. It was not a great movie, but it was an exceptional basketball movie, and a great time piece. Pollack captured the fashion and language of the mid-90's very well, and if nothing else this film will be fun to watch in twenty years as a reminder of what once was. Rating: 21/40

Good movie

Author: Menace
17 February 1999

This was one of Tupac's greatest performances. The movie is a lot better than Spike Lee's He Got Game. This was actually entertaining. Marlon Wayans brings comic relief. Nobody does that in He Got Game.

this here is gangstaaa

Author: dj_patto90 from Australia
23 June 2006

Yo was sup I'm telling u man I saw watched this movie about 3 times on the day I got it- Christmas 2005 and the only reason I would have done that is because it is the best movie on planet earth, yeah I'm prepared to make that statement, damn man this movie is tight man and it stars the late Tupac who is a better actor than I would have expected man I seriously think the guys in this movie must have played basketball at a high level cause you ain't gonna teach actors to play ball THAT GOOD. They definitely did a good job at making this movie and I would advise all Basketball lovers to watch this movie trust me you will absolutely love this movie and not to mention the gangsterous soundtrack which completely sets the mood for many of the scenes, it's a shame that Pain by 2pac is unreleased and is only on the casette version of the soundtrack as it is a GREAT song. anyway Peace out

above the rim!

Author: Menace_II_Society05 from United Kingdom
23 July 2006

This has to be one of my favourite films of all time,2pac,Marlon Wayans,Duane Martin show their acting ability's in this film and would recommend it to any one that is a fan of Pac, Marlon,Duane and basket ball or just wants to watch a real good movie. I can watch this 5 times in one day and it will still be as good as the first time i ever saw it.its a comedy/drama some serious and funny moments in this movie and is good from start to finish,it keeps you thinking and unpredictable to what might happen next and thats how good it is...the movie is about a teenager who can have a basket ball scholarship to collage but ends up throwing' it all away for money cars,and woman promised by birdy(2pac) a gangster leader but it ends it bad results.the soundtrack is as good as the movie i recommend you buy it,You can purchase it on ebay or most music stores in city's..

recommend it 100% !!!!!!

A look at the underside of street hoops.

Author: hillari from Chicago, USA
24 April 2000

On the surface, another movie about a kid using baskeball to get out of the inner city. However, this is a look at the street games which have many stories of unsung, legendary players who never made it to the NBA. The lead character has the best of both worlds, but finds the legitimate path to basketball stardom jeopardized by a neighborhood thug who controls the games and exacts a steep price for failing him. The story gets better as it goes along, especially when it focuses on the backstory of Leon's character, a guy who would have made it except for a tragedy that occured during his youth.

One of the best Basketball movies

Author: Will Lau from Canada
31 October 1999

A realistic look at life in the urban neibourhoods. About a up and coming basketball player that must resist the temptation of dirty money, easy women and violence. The basketball scenes in this are pretty fantastic for the pure basketball fans. I mean a real basketball player can tell when someone is playing or pretending to play and this movie did a pretty good job on that element. It also showcases Tupac's acting abilities with his various confrontations with his characters estranged older brother. An overall good movie to watch.

One of the best urban sports movies ever...

Author: whoTheFuqRyou from NYC
14 March 2003

Wow!!! for one it's a good story about talent being corrupted by the street game, nicely directed good performances from Duane Martin, Leon, Bernie Mac, Wood Harris and the late Tupac Shakur. Marlon Wayans is used in a good way in this movie, he was pretty interesting. Jeff Pollack knew what he was doing directing the basketball scenes.

Great movie