IMDb > 3 Chains o' Gold (1994) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

3 Chains o' Gold (V) More at IMDbPro »

Ahead of its time

Author: Bloom6000 from Australia
25 April 2007

To me personally 'Purple Rain' (1984) didn't do it for me. Yes, it was a excellent promotional tool for Prince to reach a mainstream level, but the film was awful in a lot of ways - dull acting and a boring script. After watching this, I thought Prince only did this one film and nothing else, therefore my opinion of his acting abilities were narrow.

Then I heard of the movie 3 Chains o' Gold, made during the Diamonds and Pearls/Love symbol era, which, I believe, was Prince's most amazing time of his career up to that time. I actually liked his Diamonds and Pearls and Love Symbol albums respectively. This film is really confusing to follow at times. The music videos are intensely sexual. However Prince's acting is not too bad here, and surprise, he actually talks here.

The movie seems to drag on at times and it's only for the serious Prince collector.

3 Chains o' Gold makes Thriller look Under The Cherry Moon!

Author: pruderrr from Canada
17 April 2005

In the world of great film makers, many names always come to mind: Scorsese, Truffaut, Ford, and Prince. This is Prince's crowning achievement and also one of the greatest moments in cinema of the 1990s. This masterpiece showcases Prince's obsession with a teenage belly dancer during a tour with his band, the magnificently cast NPG. Also of note is Kirstie Alley in an Oscar worthy turn as reporter Vanessa Bartholomew. Cecil B. DeMille be damned because this is truly the greatest show on earth. The cinematography in this movie is breathtaking. The acting in the film is awe-inspiring. The music in the film is the greatest selling point because it is all written and performed by the greatest musician ever to live, Prince! The awesomeness of this movie startled me because I am not a fan of Prince. Highly recommended.